Jerry Goldsmith’s BLACK PATCH (1957) & THE MAN (1972) — NEW RECORDINGS 2021 Intrada Kickstarter!

Yavar Moradi

Update on Intrada's campaign (there's a little over four days left, and $30 includes shipping for the album and guarantees you get it before anyone else):
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording
In the past couple of days it quietly passed the $40,000 mark. With no stretch goals (which could prompt those with deep pockets to increase their pledges), I think that's pretty decent still...$2,000 more after meeting goal during the (often dead) middle weeks of a Kickstarter isn't bad. Dial M went for a pretty lengthy stretch of time (maybe a whole week?) with no new pledges at all. But then it managed to hit goal two days from the end of its deadline, and during those two days it even added on an additional $4,313!

I wonder how many Goldsmith fans are waiting until the last minute on this one, and how the last couple days will compare...

Also, reconstructionist Leigh Phillips has shared a couple sample mockups from each score which might interest folks here:

The first he shared from The Man was his reconstruction of Hail to the Chief (apparently arranged by Jerry) and the End Credits it transitions into:

https://fb.watch/7ym3WtBZMu/

And here's that score's liveliest cue:

https://fb.watch/7ylF_wBv4a/

Now here are two he’s shared for Black Patch -- first up is a fragment of the score’s main action cue:
https://fb.watch/7J3oLcBarV/

And here is his share of the Finale cue, which is a great showcase of Goldsmith’s central theme (and you can really hear his compositional voice in this IMO):
https://fb.watch/7J3BSxefZc/

Can’t wait to hear these performed by an orchestra!

Yavar

• 4 months later...
On 01/09/2021 at 10:41 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

Can’t wait to hear these performed by an orchestra!

Having now heard them performed by orchestra, I can confidently say this is my favorite new Goldsmith recording since Intrada's 1989 LSO recording of Rio Conchos and The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint. (I'm super grateful for the Tadlows, especially The Salamander and QBVII... but this is even better!)

I can't wait for everyone else to hear this wonderful album too, but until then, here's something to tide you over!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9988703-production-report-black-patch-the-man-2021-intrada-recording

production%20report.jpg

This was recorded a mere three weeks after the October sessions in Scotland, with guests Douglass Fake, Roger Feigelson, and Jeff Johnson of Intrada, plus reconstructionist extraordinaire Leigh Phillips and conductor William Stromberg. I planned it as a two hour conversation but everyone was having such a great time talking about the recording that it grew into over three hours, with the third hour having some of the most fun exchanges between everyone. At the time we recorded this, David and I hadn't heard any of the new recording beyond what was shared on social media, so we couldn't call this a Soundtrack Spotlight. But we ended up waiting until January to edit this behemoth, so we were able to incorporate substantial excerpts of the new recording throughout!

I hope everyone enjoys this one-of-a-kind look behind the scenes of a monumental new Goldsmith recording.

Yavar

• 4 weeks later...

So everyone who got the lossless digital download should have their copy now (if you don't, get in touch with Intrada because on social media they commented that almost a dozen emails bounced). And a number of people have even received their physical copies. Anyone here got theirs yet?

Yavar

8 hours ago, Jay said:

I'll order a physical copy when it goes up for sale.  When will that be?

Some time in March apparently, after all the Kickstarter backers have their copies:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129145902/black-patch-the-man-jerry-goldsmith-new-recording/posts/3426853

Yavar

New update from Doug at Intrada.net

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/sc.13/category.60330/.f

We recorded the complete Jerry Goldsmith scores for both Black Patch (1957) and The Man (1972) just this last October with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra, and the album is being released this Tuesday, March the 8th. Wow! Recorded, mixed, edited, mastered, packaged, manufactured and now ready to ship to your door already! I think it is fair to say we’re getting pretty fast at this. William Stromberg tackled the conducting, Leigh Phillips prepared the scores and we utilized two different orchestras to get everything down: the former, Goldsmith’s very first theatrical film score, required a reasonably standard orchestra excepting Goldsmith wrote no trumpet parts, lending the resulting western music a more brooding, darker edge to it. The latter score utilized an orchestra that certainly had trumpets in full force but now dropped violins, placing violas as the senior upper string sonority. Black Patch is highlighted by an absolutely haunting central theme that underlines the romantic triangle in the story, made sadly moving because the three characters initially are friends rather than competitors and all three care about each other. Goldsmith got inside this aspect of the plot with his minor key theme, in a most tender fashion.

As for The Man, Goldsmith anchors his powerful score around a six-note motif with brass-led Americana flourishes, appropriate for Rod Serling’s take on the Irving Wallace fictional best-seller about the first African American president of the United States. In this brief but magnificent score, Goldsmith illuminates such iconic landmarks as the Lincoln Memorial, the White House and the presidential paintings in the Oval Office. It is fun to ponder the musical power of the Lincoln Memorial sequence, knowing Goldsmith tackled an almost identical dramatic moment in his later, highly celebrated sci-fi score for Logan’s Run.

Contents, artwork and sound samples will be posted here tomorrow evening. Orders will begin shipping on Tuesday. This is our second release made possible through our Kickstarter campaign, following Dimitri Tiomkin’s complex score written for Alfred Hitchcock’s 1954 thriller, Dial M For Murder. If listeners will continue supporting our ambitious but so-very-worthwhile efforts, a third project now in the early stages of pre-production will prove most exciting for sure!.

Roger says

"INTRADA Announces:

ImageImage

BLACK PATCH/THE MAN
Composed by JERRY GOLDSMITH
Conducted by WILLIAM STROMBERG
ROYAL SCOTTISH NATIONAL ORCHESTRA

INTRADA INT 7168

Intrada announces its latest Excalibur release – the Kickstarter-funded new recordings of Jerry Goldsmith's Black Patch and The Man. Performed by the Royal Scottish National Orchestra under the baton of William Stromberg, this album features two rarities from Goldsmith's catalog. Black Patch is a 1957 western and is Goldsmith's first big-screen theatrical score. Nonetheless, Goldsmith had seven years of scoring television experience and brought to this premiere of sorts a musically sophisticated, dramatically assured and expertly crafted style, showing emotional restraint in a complex musical framework. And this recording even includes the fully restored opening, which was edited down in the film.

In the film, Civil War veteran Clay Morgan (George Montgomery), sporting a black patch over the eye he lost in battle, is marshal of Santa Rita, New Mexico. Soon Hank Danner rides into town, an old friend whose wife, Helen, was once in love with Clay. Complicating matters is Carl, a young man who falls under Helen’s spell. When Clay learns that Hank has robbed a bank, he tries to protect his friend to the extent the law will allow. But when saloon owner Frenchy D’Vere makes a deal to help Hank escape in exchange for half the take from the robbery, Hank is killed in the attempt and Clay arrested for his murder. The verdict is “justifiable homicide,” but Carl seeks revenge in effort to prove himself to Helen.

For The Man, Goldsmith reconstructionist Leigh Phillips restored the score entirely by ear, as no written score or parts were accessible. Unlike the darker sound of Black Patch, this score starts with glorious trumpets, horns and trombones. It's a brassy, Americana pronouncement of a new era for the United States – when, for the first time, a black man becomes president (James Earl Jones) due to an alignment of unusual circumstances. The score is a lean one, both in its lack of violins as well as its running time, Goldsmith packs a lot into the complete 16-minute score.

In the film, when the President and Secretary of State die in a freak accident and the terminally ill Vice President refuses to take the office, the job devolves to the President pro tempore of the Senate, senator Douglass Dilman (Jones). The new President faces opposition from both the political right and activists on the left. Rod Serling’s brilliant, literate script packs a political and emotional wallop that can still be felt today.

Here are a few comments from our Kickstarter contributors:

The music is terrific, the RSNO performance is stunning, captured in beautiful (and thunderous!) sound quality. Literate, informative, and fascinating liner notes. Outstanding production! I'd say more but if you don't mind I'd like to play "The Man" for the 30th time!

Highest praise I can offer while listening to a re-recording: I didn’t once wonder what the original sounded like. This is just excellent.

The new album goes on sale Tuesday, March 8th.

INTRADA INT 7168
Retail Price: $22.99
Barcode: 720258716804
SHIPS 3/8
For track listing and sound samples, please visit https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12470/.f"

http://www.intrada.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8873

Doug says

"Jerry Goldsmith
Label: Intrada INT 7168
Film Date: 1957 /1972
Album Date: 2022
Time: 51:46
Tracks: 31
Price: $22.99

World premiere recordings of two elusive Jerry Goldsmith scores! Legendary composer creates his very first theatrical film score with Black Patch, low-key 1957 western for Warner Bros. with George Montgomery, Leo Gordon, Sebastien Cabot, Diane Brewster. Allen Miner directs, Gordon scripts, effective black & white photography by Edward Colman (of Mary Poppins fame.) Original session elements are missing in action, but happily Goldsmith’s manuscript scores survive unscathed, allowing full reconstruction of musician parts for all-new recording made in October 2021. 

Composer scores for standard orchestra but omits trumpets, lending finished work a brooding, darker edge. Extremely well-written music offers masterful architecture from the get-go, a Goldsmith trademark. Several motifs work together, independently both in full and in fragmentary form. Dramatic ideas abound but centerpiece is haunting theme for three principal characters forming romantic triangle. Story element finds all three people care for each other, lending tragic overtones to the drama. Goldsmith reflects sadness with moving minor-key theme, heard sparingly yet very memorably, particularly during “Love Reunited” and masterfully for the “Finale”, especially in extended version prepared by Leigh Phillips. Shorter film version also included. Another highlight is energetic “The Fight”, which offers listeners Goldsmith’s very first movie action cue! Also fun to note several ideas that become Goldsmith signatures throughout his career: Aggressive rhythms instead of musical chaos and dissonance to highlight action, staccato left-hand piano figures, recurring motifs creating solid musical architecture, vivid snare drum writing, many others. 

Complete 35-minute score plays first, then Goldsmith’s brief but powerful 1972 score for The Man unfolds. Here, James Earl Jones leads cast as first African American President of the United States. Rod Serling scripts from Irving Wallace best-seller, Joseph Sargent directs. Goldsmith scores for orchestra with substantial brass section but this time drops violins, leaving violas as his upper string sonority. Gentle phrases do make appearances but it is dynamic, imposing brass fanfares and Americana vernacular that dominates. Magnificent highlights include music for scenes of iconic Lincoln Memorial, White House, presidential portraits in the Oval Office plus powerhouse opening and closing credits. Complete 16-minute score authentically reconstructed by Leigh Phillips in spectacular fashion. Simon Rhodes captures every detail in crisp recording, authoritative performance by William T. Stromberg leading Royal Scottish National Orchestra. Frank DeWald provides informative liner notes, Jim Titus offers dramatic artwork to compliment Intrada’s previous Dial M For Murder recording. Kickstarter campaign yields vital addition to ever-growing library of Goldsmith film music recordings! Two sensational albeit vastly contrasting Jerry Goldsmith film scores given definitive performances!

TRACK LIST

BLACK PATCH (1957)
01. Prologue (1:14)
02. Player Piano (Main Titles) (1:28)
03. Carl Meets Helen (1:02)
04. Welcome Home (1:55)
05. Clay Meets Helen (1:39)
06. Love Reunited (4:20)
07. Hank Gives Up (0:56)
08. Lock Up (1:21)
09. The Fight (3:19)
10. The Discovery (1:38)
11. Town Gossip (0:25)
12. The Gift (1:10)
13. Mixed Emotions (0:47)
14. Carl’s Love (0:39)
15. The Gun (0:49)
16. Tough Guy (1:51)
17. The Showdown (4:07)
18. The Duel (3:37)
19. Finale (Extended Version) (1:44)
Total Time: 34:23

THE EXTRA
20. Finale (Film Version) (1:00)

Total Time: 35:32

THE MAN (1972)
21. Douglass Dilman (Main Titles) (1:48)
22. They Want A President (2:12)
23. The Lincoln Memorial (1:20)
24. The Oval Office (2:08)
25. An Invisible Man (0:31)
26. Mrs. Blore (1:06)
27. Let Him Loose (1:02)
28. Fishing (2:11)
29. Will They Make It? (1:16)
30. Protests (0:18)
31. Hail To The Chief and End Credits (2:00)

Total Time: 16:14"

https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12470/.f

media.nl?id=38750&c=ACCT67745&h=imDtlZx6

media.nl?id=38751&c=ACCT67745&h=RMWiFVOU

media.nl?id=38752&c=ACCT67745&h=EqvB-bnR

I'm guessing Intrada will put this on all digital platforms after a window of time they feel is the appropriate time to maximize the CD format's sales potential

On 01/02/2022 at 9:16 AM, Yavar Moradi said:

I can't wait for everyone else to hear this wonderful album too, but until then, here's something to tide you over!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9988703-production-report-black-patch-the-man-2021-intrada-recording

production%20report.jpg

This was recorded a mere three weeks after the October sessions in Scotland, with guests Douglass Fake, Roger Feigelson, and Jeff Johnson of Intrada, plus reconstructionist extraordinaire Leigh Phillips and conductor William Stromberg. I planned it as a two hour conversation but everyone was having such a great time talking about the recording that it grew into over three hours, with the third hour having some of the most fun exchanges between everyone. At the time we recorded this, David and I hadn't heard any of the new recording beyond what was shared on social media, so we couldn't call this a Soundtrack Spotlight. But we ended up waiting until January to edit this behemoth, so we were able to incorporate substantial excerpts of the new recording throughout!

I hope everyone enjoys this one-of-a-kind look behind the scenes of a monumental new Goldsmith recording.

Did anyone here give this a listen? We are doing an experiment by releasing the raw VIDEO recording of this, but due to YouTube algorithms it is the conversation only, with no extensive music samples and other fancy editing David did on the audio version above. That audio version is still my higher recommendation if you've going in fresh, but for any of you who prefer to see the participants in a conversation, here's the premiere video release on The Goldsmith Odyssey's YouTube channel:

There are some things I do really prefer about this, like getting to see people's reactions (especially Jeff's) to my humorously overblown intro for him. There was a lot of moving things around for clarity in the audio edit, but here you can see the conversation as it naturally unfolded, with all the tangents and such. Hope folks enjoy!

Anyone here got their album yet, and have any thoughts on the music/performance/recording?

Yavar

• 2 months later...

This recording is really a treasure. Again I realized that I prefer the Goldsmith from 50s until the early 70s over his later work. I bought this one and the new Star Trek TMP release at the same time and I really prefer this one. Especially "Black Patch" which is quite unusual for a Western score, since this was basically a love story. The score is highly romantic. Already one of my favourite Goldsmith scores (together with Studs Lonigan and The Final Conflict).

6 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

This recording is really a treasure. Again I realized that I prefer the Goldsmith from 50s until the early 70s over his later work. I bought this one and the new Star Trek TMP release at the same time and I really prefer this one. Especially "Black Patch" which is quite unusual for a Western score, since this was basically a love story. The score is highly romantic. Already one of my favourite Goldsmith scores (together with Studs Lonigan and The Final Conflict).

Wow! As much as I personally adore Black Patch, I'm still surprised to see someone rate it above Star Trek: The Motion Picture! One thing they each have in common is a highly romantic central theme. I also rate Studs Lonigan extremely highly. You might want to revise your Goldsmith preference end date to "early 80s" since The Final Conflict is a favorite of yours. ;) 

Yavar

On 08/06/2022 at 8:01 PM, Yavar Moradi said:

Wow! As much as I personally adore Black Patch, I'm still surprised to see someone rate it above Star Trek: The Motion Picture! One thing they each have in common is a highly romantic central theme. I also rate Studs Lonigan extremely highly. You might want to revise your Goldsmith preference end date to "early 80s" since The Final Conflict is a favorite of yours. ;) 

Yavar

I never really were a fan of Goldsmith's Star Trek main theme. And certainly not a fan of the movie. There I really prefer Alien, Poltergeist and Legend or even Mom and Dad Save the World from that period.

But Final Conflict really is an exception from the 80s as it manages to get along without these synth farts.