Steven Spielberg Developing New Movie Based On Classic Steve McQueen Character Frank Bullitt

SpaceCoyote

Kristie Macosko Krieger says:

I’m producing it. Steven [Spielberg] and Josh Singer, who is writing the script, they are working on the story. I hope we have a script soon as the writers’ strike put us behind a bit. But they are working on it – I couldn’t tell you if it's the next movie we are making as I don’t know at this point. I think that it will be a wildly entertaining film.

Schifrin's score for the original Bullet is very sparse. Of course, the signature cues are great (it's one of my favourite Schifrins (not that I really know that many)), but there's not all that much of it. I wonder how much room for music there would be in the new one. I think Williams could do wonderful stuff with it, if they stick to a vintage kind of sound, but it may turn out to be no longer than Fabelmans. But then again maybe that increases the chance of him actually doing it in the first place.

I hope JW gets to write this score. Something almost Mission Impossible like with lots of action music could be awesome unless JW takes a Indy 5 route where it's all a little derivative of his past action music without many new distinctive elements.

I doubt this project will materialize with Spielberg at the helm. And even if does, they should pry Schifrin out of retirement rather than getting JW involved. And if Schifrin is unavailable, someone younger who can channel his style. Wallfisch, Marsalis, Pemberton, Forever Pavot etc. And that's if they're going for a similar aesthetic as the original. Perhaps they're not. God, I always speak myself into a corner with these speculation things; that's why I never do them, LOL! :)

Spielberg is probably the only director who's M.O. could get Williams out of film scoring retirement, so whatever his next film is, I hope Williams does it.

I'm all for Spielberg dragging Williams out for another gig, but not for BULLITT. There are better alternatives for that, including the guy who originally created the sound.

JW: "Steven, I'd like to do more movies for you but please no action heavy special effects kind of thing that would demand 2 hours of music, I just can't do it anymore".

SS: "Sure".

*a few days later*

SS: "My next movies will be Bullit, Robopocalypse, Ready Player Two and a MCU blockbuster, all of which will come out within the timespan of three years!"

JW: "... someone please just kill me..."