For whom or what do you most want a new theme in Potter POA?

diskobolus

For whom or what specifically do you most want a new theme in Prisoner of Azkaban?  

25 members have voted

1. 1.

• The dementors
    • Remus Lupin
    • Sirius Black
    • The Marauders
    • Hogsmeade
    • Buckbeak the hippogriff
    • Harry, Ron, and Hermione
    • The Patronus charm

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How about all of the above?

Justin -Who voted for The Dementors but also would like a Buckbeak and Patronomus charm theme. :(

The Patronus.

It must a light-over-dark theme, not a simple "dark" theme like The Dementor's. It must short, perhaps just an ascending, triumphant motif. Certainly interesting. I doubt it'll have a theme, though.

The Patronus Charm, like ender said it would have to be a light-over-dark theme. At the end i would prefer a solo like Visions Of Anne Liveley. Representing harry's stag.

Lupin i think has the best chance of having a full blown theme. He is in the entire movie, plays a big role, etc etc.

The dementors would just be like a "lurking, dark" motive, as probably a triumphant sounding patronus motive, but my guess is that the patronus music will be a take off the family theme.

I doubt Sirius will seriously ( :( ) have a theme, after all he is a "dark unknown" throughout much of the movie.

Hogsmeade may have a theme of it's own since it plays a part in the rest of the books.

I guess it's quite possibly that Sirius will get the Philosopher's Stone motif this time. :P I never even thought about a Patronus theme, but the idea sounds great to me, even though Ren has a very good point about the Family theme. Still, it would be great if the Patronus music forms a counterpoint to the Dementor music...

Marian - excited. :(

There's no reason why the Patronus music couldn't form a counterpoint to the Dementor music. I think that is a great idea. And I still think they should use a variation of the family theme with the patronus, since after all it is a stag.

This book is darker and the characters older.I think the music will show this.A more"mature" Harry theme maybe,and less jingle bell type music.

Maybe Scabbers will have a motif,some musical connection with Voldemort's theme.Williams likes to hint at things.

K.M.

Wow, I never thought of some of these, like a Patronus or Marauders theme. Like Justin said, all of the above (and more!) would be ideal, but I would have to go with Buckbeak. I imagine a soaring, Fawkes-like theme for him. I think if Lupin has a theme, it should sound like Yoda's theme, very gentle and benevolent. And a theme for Sirius would be kind of hard, but interesting, as it would have to change feeling by the end of the film (I want to avoid any spoilers).

Ray Barnsbury

Hmm, Lupin...don't we mistrust him for long parts of the story? I can't remember much details (perhaps reading the series a third time is in order soon :nono:), but if I'm right, a gentle and benevolent theme might give away too much.

Marian - hoping they manage to keep more of the book's complexity this time.

That's what I said Marian, I don't know if a Sirius theme is in order for this movie. I think many dark motives will be placed in the movie. I liked KM's remarks about Scabbers....that could work. Having a Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs theme may not be out of the question.

Buckbeak is most likely to get a theme. Look at the other scores. Hedwig...Fawkes...Errol...Buckbeak. Williams is scoring the fowl of Harry Potter. :nono:

Justin -Who also thinks there will no doubt be a motif for Pig.

I chose the dementors strictly for the terror and darkness they bring.

However, Lupin could have an incredible theme representing the light and the darkness of his situation. Sort of Anakins theme/imperial march, like in Star Wars, the theme melds into something different yet similar when the full moon rises.

Whoa. I want all of them. First, I thought of the Dementors, but I'm sure they will get one anyway, so I thought of voting for Sirius. But the option of a Patronus theme is something I haven't thought of yet before, and is something that could be one of those magical John Williams moments, that fills us with joy and astonishment at the sheer beauty of it.

- Marc, getting psyched up about this film. :nono:

For some reason I always hear something of a fawkes theme when I think of the patronus. I don't know why other than it's super magical.

That's the kind of music I mean. I didn't want to name Fawkes' theme specifically, more the kind of feeling it would wake, like when we first saw the Brachiosaur with that wonderfull Theme From Jurassic Park. It's a feeling, more than a melody I'm thinking of.

- Marc, who read the climax of PoA last night, and has about 10 pages left to finish it.

The family theme for the patronus makes perfect sense, however I'm not sure how well it would work...I keep imagining the music would have to be somewhat like Binary Sunset, starting out softly and growing more powerful. I'm not sure you can do that with the family theme.

Justin -Who also thinks there will no doubt be a motif for Pig.

Perhaps he'll get the "Flying Things" theme this time. :nono:

Marian - pondering whether to put the score in the CD player.

Hmm, Lupin...don't we mistrust him for long parts of the story?

No. Actually, he is trusted for most of the story, until he shows up in the Shrieking Shack and joins up with Black. Then there is doubt because it turns out he is a werewolf. After Black tells his story it's clear he is a good guy again.

- Marc, who wants to hear the action music for the First Task of book 4. :nono:

what exactly are the maruaders, since I don't seem to remember?

Yeah, Marc is right, Marian. I recently finished PoA as well, and it's only for a short period in the Shrieking Shack that Lupin is mistrusted. Joe, good thoughts about Lupin's theme!

Ray Barnsbury-getting more and more excited for this film and score and more and more disappointed that there are still ten months to go

I assume diskobulus ment Moony, Padfoot, Wormtail and Prongs.

- Marc

Yep. I considered putting Peter Pettigrew up there, but I didn't think of him as a major enough character. If anything, the four Marauders might have their own whole theme, perhaps within that submotifs for each animal. Then Prongs' would be closely tied to the Patronus theme.

-Diskobolus, who wants a Patronus theme

I think they meant Black is mistrusted. Lupin was pretty much trusted for the whole thing.

Marian, I definitely think that the family theme has some major potential to get loud!!!!!!!!

I can hear it now.

But a couple more people have mentioned Lupin for a theme, but I'm the only one who voted for it! Come on people! :)

• 7 months later...
This book is darker and the characters older.I think the music will show this.A more"mature" Harry theme maybe,and less jingle bell type music.

K.M.

I like the jingle bell type of music. Those light percussion parts and woodwind riffs and celesta twinkels represent the magical world of Harry. Btw I think John Williams personally is partly responsible for the fact we regard this Christmas like music ('snow music' as a friend of mine called it) as Christmas music. Williams was an important orchestrator in the 50's when this type of music was invented (as accompaninement to those romantic songs).

Lupin i think has the best chance of having a full blown theme.  He is in the entire movie, plays a big role, etc etc.  

Hogsmeade may have a theme of it's own since it plays a part in the rest of the books.

I guess Lupin will only have a motiv. His character is too modest to have a full blown theme. And I think Hogsmeade will feature the Chistmas music from the first two movies.

• 5 years later...

I wish Hermione and Ron had their own minor themes... Ron "maybe" had one (you know what I mean!), but I don't think that's exactly Ron's theme...

I'd love to give Hermione a theme.

You know, I think what we usually call "Friendship Theme" or "Harry's Secondary Theme" or whatever is a quasi Hermione Theme...

There are many examples where this theme is connected to Hermione especially:

Knockturn Alley 1:11 (CoA)

The Reunion 0:30 (CoS)

The Quidditch Match (PS) when Hermione applauds at 7:50

Or maybe this is just "Harry's friendship with Hermione" theme... :lol:

I was under the impression that Ron did have a theme in PS and COS... guess I've been wrong all this time.

Oh man, I remember anticipating this film so much, with not a thought to the music! I wish the subsequent films were worth anticipating....

I remember, at the same time as many other board members, listening to it on one of AOL's "Listening Parties" and wondering "this is the new Potter? Are they sure?".

I probably would've voted for Sirius Black, but I'm perfectly content with the score we got.

He did have a theme.

I probably would've voted for Sirius Black, but I'm perfectly content with the score we got.

He did have a theme.

Oh, really? Did it make it onto the OST? If so, could I have track times?

He did have a theme.

Oh, really? Did it make it onto the OST? If so, could I have track times?

Not really. It's referenced in "The Knight Bus," but that's it. Just watch the film and you'll notice a recurring "stinger" every time Sirius' face comes up, the last time being when we see him in person.