John Williams talks about the music to NBC News

Miguel Andrade

Thanks for sharing @Miguel Andrade, what a treat to see this interview. 

I was taken with Williams' younger-sounding voice, and the expression in his eyes as he speaks. We see his humility again in the way he talks, and it's especially funny to hear him mentioning his ego. 

So nice to see him play the theme on the piano, with the arpeggios in left-hand giving me E.T. vibes a little bit. 

I can hear some differences in the piece during the recording session portion of the clip that he later revised into the full concertized version! Really cool clip!

Just wonderful, Miguel!

To think there was once a time when news media was associated with such integrity as to deserve this. 

Some other observations:

Yes, the recording here soars with wonderful accents not heard in other recordings.  Just stunning. 

John Williams often uses the word “daunting” in many of his interviews. 

The audacity of Gene to place himself at a level such that he appears higher in the frame and looking down on the Maestro!

3D9038D5-9499-4F98-B4F6-27379E9FABED.png

I only recently heard Williams' predecessor NBC Nightly News themes, written by Henry Mancini.  I wonder if it is actually wildly inappropriate or does it only sound that way because Williams has so thoroughly defined what a news theme should sound like for me?  Either way, it sounds like a cop show theme to me :P

Mancini's sounds very much of its time, perhaps a bit older than 1977-79.  To me it just says "media".  Neither urgent nor uplifting.

I dunno man, even in 1977 a new themes just shouldn't have a clavinet (or whatever that keyboard in the opening is).

Like the ABC World News Tonight theme is probably my favorite American news theme besides Williams' and it debuted around the same time as Mancini's.  No funk here!

6 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I dunno man, even in 1977 a new themes just shouldn't have a clavinet (or whatever that keyboard in the opening is).

I think that's a Rhodes loaded with FX but not sure.