Danny Elfman's NIGHTBREED (1990) - 2024 Intrada

Jay

I’ve always rooted for the monsters, especially when they’re been chased by torch wielding neo-Maga troglodytes like The Sons of the Free. For that reason unleashing the full potential of Danny Elfman’s glorious score for Clive Barker’s Tribes of the Moon has been a CD chronicling grail dream of mine, one that’s now fulfilled after ten years of dogged determination by Roger Feigelson, myself and the Intrada team. So at last it’s time to feed musical meat to the beasts of NIGHTBREED with this amazing two-CD release that expands this mystically exciting tribal score with more versions of “Country Skin” than you can shake your finger scalpels at, with my liner notes featuring new interviews with Danny Elfman, orchestrator Steve Bartek and editor Mark Goldblatt on this soundtrack monster mash to end them all. Now at last available HERE, praise Baphomet!

All of Clive Barker's Midian is unleashed on Intrada's deluxe edition of Danny Elfman's NIGHTBREED! - ON THE SCORE

Ordered it today. Can’t wait to hear the full score after falling for the original 1990 album.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to order it very soon but looking to merge with SPECIES and maybe the new Varese Club titles (coming on Friday)

NIGHTBREED is indeed a terrific and mesmerising score. Its prime vintage Danny Elfman from the BATMAN era. The exotic percussion and the pre Edward Scissorhand like Choir is just a terrific blend of the classic Elfman sound.

Not to be missed!!

And that opening credits music is so hypnotic and profound. I get goosebumps listening to it each time.

I received my copy today. Excited to listen later. 

Daniel Schweiger's liner notes are excellent. His passion for the movie and music is really clear. Walker's cue is mentioned, too.

One of those legendary ELF scores with all his trademarks - completely underappreciated. The film is amazing as well - do ignore the Morgan Creek one that is the 98 min version. The Barker cut is truly amazing, one of the first honestly big budget LGTBQ films ever. Very innovative and challenging in its politics that I am very happy that Elfman amplified extensively!

It does not make sense to have Cronenberg play his role in the MC cut - the longer cut, you know why he accepted the role. 

Fantastic score, really rich and enchanting. Interesting to see Elfman's use of gamelan, especially coupled with strings. He will echo that kind of writing in the opening movement of Rabbit & Rogue ballet many years later (my favouritebit from that work). Great liner notes, too. It was definitely worth the long wait. I am really interested in seeing the movie now.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

Fantastic score, really rich and enchanting. Interesting to see Elfman's use of gamelan, especially coupled with strings. He will echo that kind of writing in the opening movement of Rabbit & Rogue ballet many years later (my favouritebit from that work). Great liner notes, too. It was definitely worth the long wait. I am really interested in seeing the movie now.

Karol

Elfman fooled around with many NIGHTBREED elements in the 70s already, like the famous gamelan piece in the Mystic Knights days. It's a great score, but - as you would expect - the OST is more than enough for my use. The country version of "Skin" is delightful.

Such an exquisite score. Elfman hit peak quality post Batman in the space of several years. I would argue that this is better than either Batman score because it sounds so fresh and inspired. The main theme is hauntingly beautiful and the usage of pan flutes and the gamelan is inspired. And Walker’s cue is awesome on its own terms but works well within the main score.

The quality of music is that good where the expanded and 1990 releases work equally well as listening experiences. Mixing and mastering is excellent, compared to the dry mix on Darkman.

On 20/04/2024 at 6:04 PM, Thor said:

It's a great score, but - as you would expect - the OST is more than enough for my use.

I don't believe you. 

On 21/01/2024 at 7:27 PM, Richard Penna said:

Is that the most innovative way yet of saying it's held up by legal crap?

It could mean they had problems finding the masters.