Arthur C. Clarke listened to John Williams while writing 2010: Odyssey Two

lairdo

4 hours ago, lairdo said:

I just finished listening to the audiobook of 2010: Odyssey Two by Arthur C. Clarke. I had read this book when it came out in 1982, and I still have the hardback edition in a box somewhere (along with 2063 and 3001 as well as my paperback copy of 2001). I've watched 2001 a few times in recent years, including a great 70 mm screening, and I decided to go back to the book series. 

In the acknowledgments at the end of the book, Clarke thanks Maurice Jarre, Vangelis and the "incomparable John Williams for providing inspiration whenever it was needed." 

Richard Strauss and Johann Strauss don't even get a mention. I wonder if JW was ever asked to score 2010, a job that ultimately went to David Shire (with help from Craig Huxley)? Probably not, but maybe nobody asked Clarke.

I remember that acknowledgement from the first time I read the book, back in the early 80's. (The book was released in 1982, but I likely read it in 1984, the probable release date of the book in Portugal.)

5 hours ago, lairdo said:

but maybe nobody asked Clarke.

Or maybe nobody asked Williams.

I remember smiling while reading that acknowledgement. I remember thinking, great choice by a great writer.

7 hours ago, Thor said:

The question is -- what John Williams score did he listen to? My bet is on JOHN GOLDFARB PLEASE COME HOME.

What Vangelis did he listen to?

1 hour ago, A24 said:

It must have been the orchestral adaptation by the New American Orchestra then.

MTAtNjU3Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Why does it have to be that one?

My guess would either be Chariots of Fire or the Cosmos soundtrack. The odd man out here is Jarre. Chariots and Star Wars were huge hits at the time and both were played regularly on the radio (Star Wars being obviously earlier). And Cosmos was just one of those "being played everywhere" kind of things, especially if you were aware of the show (which I assume Clarke was). What Jarre would he have been playing?

Maybe he was a longtime admirer of Jarre, and just threw on some 'Lawrence of Arabia' or 'Doctor Zhivago' to put himself in a writing mindset—unrelated as they may be to the themes of his novel.

2 hours ago, Mr. Hooper said:

Maybe he was a longtime admirer of Jarre, and just threw on some 'Lawrence of Arabia' or 'Doctor Zhivago' to put himself in a writing mindset—unrelated as they may be to the themes of his novel.

That was kind of my guess as well. Lawrence is my go to by Clarke would have been of a generation where Zhivago was nigh inescapable.

1 minute ago, A24 said:

The OST was not released until 1994. The orchestral version was all we had in 1982.

Ah, okay thanks for explaining 👍

3 hours ago, A24 said:

The OST was not released until 1994. The orchestral version was all we had in 1982.

Maybe Clarke had connections, he was a famous writer who was friends with Stanley Kubrick who knew Ridley Scott. So maybe Clarke asked Kubrick to ask Scott (who asked Vangelis) to send Clarke the unofficial soundtrack. 

19 minutes ago, JTW said:

Maybe Clarke had connections, he was a famous writer who was friends with Stanley Kubrick who knew Ridley Scott. So maybe Clarke asked Kubrick to ask Scott (who asked Vangelis) to send Clarke the unofficcial soundtrack. 

I'm pretty sure that's how it went. No way Clarke would have lowered himself by listening to a substitute! ;)

I’ve always liked Clarke, the person and his writing. Now I like him more lol. Not knowing this is what I get for owning this book for three years and not getting around to reading it.

7 hours ago, JTW said:

Maybe Clarke had connections, he was a famous writer who was friends with Stanley Kubrick who knew Ridley Scott. So maybe Clarke asked Kubrick to ask Scott (who asked Vangelis) to send Clarke the unofficial soundtrack. 

Yeah, right, and my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors, last night.

I guess it's pretty serious.

59 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Yeah, right, and my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors, last night.

I guess it's pretty serious.

My scenario sounds more plausible, but yours isn’t bad, either. :-)