The Legend of Zelda (live action film directed by Wes Ball)

Jay

Development of a Live-Action Film of The Legend of Zelda to Start

Nintendo Co., Ltd. (HQ: Kyoto Minami-ku; Representative Director and President: Shuntaro Furukawa, "Nintendo" hereafter) today announced that it will develop a live-action film of The Legend of Zelda.

The film will be produced by Shigeru Miyamoto, Representative Director and Fellow of Nintendo and Avi Arad, Chairman of Arad Productions Inc., who has produced many mega hit films.

The film will be produced by Nintendo and Arad Productions Inc., and directed by Wes Ball. The film will be co-financed by Nintendo and Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc., with more than 50% financed by Nintendo. The theatrical distribution of the film will be done worldwide by Sony Pictures Entertainment Inc.

By producing visual contents of Nintendo IP by itself, Nintendo is creating new opportunities to have people from around the world to access the world of entertainment which Nintendo has built, through different means apart from its dedicated game consoles.

By getting deeply involved in the movie production with the aim to put smiles on everyone’s faces through entertainment, Nintendo will continue its efforts to produce unique entertainment and deliver it to as many people as possible.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/en/2023/231108.html

This is Miyamoto. I have been working on the live-action film of The Legend of Zelda for many years now with Avi Arad-san, who has produced many mega hit films. [1]

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1722011980129779795

I have asked Avi-san to produce this film with me, and we have now officially started the development of the film with Nintendo itself heavily involved in the production. It will take time until its completion, but I hope you look forward to seeing it. [2]

https://twitter.com/Nintendo/status/1722011981669130459

On one hand,I'm cautiously excited for this, as they proved they can do a good adaptation from the Nintendo videogames into a Hollywood movie, and the world of TLoZ is so big and full of possibilities. On the other hand, a live action doesn't seem like the best choice for this saga, and I always pictured it in a sort of Ghibli style of animation, so I guess we'll have to wait and see...

As for the music, I hope whoever does it is allowed to do the same as Tyler, meaning he can incorporate dozens of references to classic themes from the videogames into his own themes. Kondo's themes for Link, Zelda and Ganon should be pretty much a given, as they've become quite recognizable and memorable over time!

1 minute ago, Knight of Ren said:

On one hand,I'm cautiously excited for this, as they proved they can do a good adaptation from the Nintendo videogames into a Hollywood movie, and the world of TLoZ is so big and full of possibilities. On the other hand, a live action doesn't seem like the best choice for this saga, and I always pictured it in a sort of Ghibli style of animation, so I guess we'll have to wait and see...

As for the music, I hope whoever does it is allowed to do the same as Tyler, meaning he can incorporate dozens of references to classic themes from the videogames into his own themes. Kondo's themes for Link, Zelda and Ganon should be pretty much a given, as they've become quite recognizable and memorable over time!

To be fair, Zelda has had a bunch of different visual styles for most of the games, some very not Ghibli

Just now, Knight of Ren said:

I think the Zelda theme has to be there. Which theme do you considered to be Link's theme? 

It also depends on which Zelda game they are adapting. I can see them adapt more minimalistic musical choices. 

6 minutes ago, Mephariel said:

I think the Zelda theme has to be there. Which theme do you considered to be Link's theme? 

Zelda's Lullaby = Zelda's Theme

Main Theme/Overworld Theme = Link's Theme?

10 minutes ago, Presto said:

Zelda's Lullaby = Zelda's Theme

Main Theme/Overworld Theme = Link's Theme?

I just think that is the overture or like the theme of the series. I never considered that to be Link's theme. But I guess it could be interpreted that way. 

48 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I'm willing to bet you people's entire John Williams CD collection on John Paesano scoring this movie :P

You are on to something there. I mean rumor has it that when Joseph Kosinski said his frequent collaborator Joseph Trapanese was his choice for Top Gun Maverick, the studio told him to pick a bigger name. 

2 hours ago, Mephariel said:

You are on to something there. I mean rumor has it that when Joseph Kosinski said his frequent collaborator Joseph Trapanese was his choice for Top Gun Maverick, the studio told him to pick a bigger name. 

"The man worked with Daft Punk, how much bigger can you get?"

"Hans Zimmer."

7 hours ago, Presto said:

To be fair, Zelda has had a bunch of different visual styles for most of the games, some very not Ghibli

That would be my preferred visual style for a saga like this, but I think it would work better in animation, whatever the style. Even if they decided to with a style like the Toon Link from Wind Waker or something like that, it would work great because people are already familiar with it.

7 hours ago, Mephariel said:

It also depends on which Zelda game they are adapting. I can see them adapt more minimalistic musical choices. 

Yeah, with Link's theme I was referring to the Main Title / Overworld theme. Since its the main theme of the saga and Link is the main hero I always made the connection that it was his theme, sort of, even if it's not exclusively tied to him.

And whatever game they adapt, some legacy themes should be in there in one way or another. I mean, look at Breath of the Wild. A very different score from what came before in style and tone, but they managed to incorporate many classic themes here and there in new ways.

I’ve never played Zelda in my life, but even I’m aware of its popularity. And based on the immense success of the Mario movie, my prediction is that this is going to be huge. Heck, even Robin Williams named his daughter after the game. 

9 hours ago, Mephariel said:

It's a Jerry Bruckheimer-produced movie, never in a million times would Kosinski be allowed to choose someone not RCP

Paesano scoring a Zelda movie with game themes galore would be absolutely magnificent - his Avengers Campus suite is all the evidence you need for that.

I didn’t care enough about Super Mario to geek out when Tyler used legacy themes (although those legacy themes work better on album than his actual score).  A Legend of Zelda score using those themes?  I suspect I’ll be an instant convert.

52 minutes ago, Stark said:

Paesano scoring a Zelda movie with game themes galore would be absolutely magnificent - his Avengers Campus suite is all the evidence you need for that.

A well accomplished game composer himself too. His scores for Marvel's Spider-Man game series are very good, with catchy, instantly-memorable and malleable themes. Hope Insomiac will keep him for their Wolverine game

Awful scripts notwithstanding, Maze Runner was impressively well directed - I’m more worried about the writer, although he has some good stuff in his resume as well. (And I believe his TROS credit is from the rejected Trevorrow script… for better or worse.)

Probably because Nintendo thought they would make it good and not awful! 

At this point, I’m only interested in the score, but maybe it’ll be good!  My kid loves Zelda so we’ll definitely see it together if this makes it to production