Using AI to manipulate film score audio (dialogue removal, stem separation, etc)

Jay

13 minutes ago, Andy said:

Which model do you all like for all purpose separation of score from an old movie?

Bandit Plus, or MVsep DNR

Demucs4HT DNR is good too, but only outputs mono, so only use that with mono sources.

Would the AI work for this video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8A99ISvi4

is the only music piece not in the game files. And the composer only has the multi track tapes with no means of transfering them 😞

On 06/02/2024 at 1:20 PM, Faleel said:

Audacity has Stem Seperation plugins now:

https://www.audacityteam.org/blog/openvino-ai-effects/

I've installed the plugins into a 2023 build of Audactiy.

I'm using a 4-minute music file that is 16-bit/44.1khz stereo file, but when I select 'OpenVINO Music Separation' , 'the 'Preview' button is grayed-out. 

I tried-out another desktop where I have both CPU and GPU Inference devices and the 'Preview' button is still grayed-out.

Is there a step that I may have missed?

Just now, SyncMan said:

I've installed the plugins into a 2023 build of Audactiy.

I'm using a 4-minute music file that is 16-bit/44.1khz stereo file, but when I select 'OpenVINO Music Separation' , 'the 'Preview' button is grayed-out. 

I tried-out another desktop where I have both CPU and GPU Inference devices and the 'Preview' button is still grayed-out.

Is there a step that I may have missed?

the preview button isn't really necessary since there are no real settings anyway. Just click okay and wait for it to finish

6 minutes ago, enderdrag64 said:

the preview button isn't really necessary since there are no real settings anyway. Just click okay and wait for it to finish

I've done that and it gave me this error message.

error.png

This is the 'Show Log'

log.png

1 hour ago, SyncMan said:

I've done that and it gave me this error message.

error.png

This is the 'Show Log'

log.png

Looks like you didn't install the openvino-models correctly

9 hours ago, Luke Skywalker said:

X-Minus can largely lose the vocals that get in the way but less luck with all the sfx. I'd doubt you're going to be able to get a properly listenable version sadly.

46 minutes ago, Luke Skywalker said:

Shame 😔

Do you have the original audio file of the video MVsep's Bandit Plus model might have an effect.

On 18/02/2024 at 8:18 AM, Luke Skywalker said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RS8A99ISvi4

is the only music piece not in the game files. And the composer only has the multi track tapes with no means of transfering them 😞

Thanks faleel. Too many sfx in the video unfortunately, but i may be able to do something as the last half sounds tracked so it could be reconstructed.

• 2 weeks later...

Pro-tip:

If it seems the AI model isn't really having an effect, try using normalize on the input file in Audacity, it seems to help for some models.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using AI separation to get clean the remaining music from AOTC and ROTS that we need?

Thanks for your suggestion Faleel. I've started using MVSEP and I think it's cool and definitely worth it.

On 21/03/2024 at 8:10 PM, Manakin Skywalker said:

I've used AI very sparingly on my YouTube edits. However I prefer not to use it for the most part because it adds a shit load of distortion, and in some cases removes instruments. It's important not to overdo it.

Yes, for music you intend to listen to, it's best for either removal of very simple elements or to make an already polluted soundscape a bit more bearable, but the more it's got to do, the more distorted the result will be. I've come across a few instances where a speciality release presents a cue with its intended mix, and these models can almost entirely remove a synth or solo element that the film removed, but those are solo or frequency distinct elements.

It doesn't seem to me to be at that point (yet) where a polluted rip with effects and dialogue can be magically rescued to just isolated music.

Anyone got a tutorial on how to remove the score from the movie's dialogues and sound effects using these AI tools? It's something I'd like to try one of these days but I never did this before so I'd like to now the steps.

There's one step. You go to the page in my main post, and drag an audio file into it.  It spits out two tracks, a dialogue-only track and an everything-but-the-dialogue track.

These tools remove dialogue, they don't remove sound effects, sadly.

But some tools that remove percussion can fortunately mistake some sound effects for percussion.

Thanks. I've been meaning to try to do some blockbuster movies whose score I wanted to hear in complete form but their sessions never leaked. But since these are huge blockbusters with lots of explosions and stuff it would probably yield some disappointing results. But who knows, I may try it one of these days.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Anyone got a tutorial on how to remove the score from the movie's dialogues and sound effects using these AI tools? It's something I'd like to try one of these days but I never did this before so I'd like to now the steps.

MVSEP has a model, "BandIt" that puts out three tracks:

Dialogue: at best, it's usually pretty clean.

Music: Sometimes can get rid of 50-70% of the sfx, sometimes only 20-50%, depends, increasing the volume, and reducing the ducking can help.

Effects: usually clean, sometimes some music can bleed through (string sustains, etc.)

There is still some artifacts of course.

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Giftheck said:

NGL, I have not had much luck with Bandit on MVSEP.

It does seem to work less well, with lossy formats (mp3) and low volumes.