Hook Lyrics transcribed

QuartalHarmony

35 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

[I'm trying to paste in the lyrics I've got so far as separate posts, but it keeps merging my reply into one long post - how can I stop it doing this?]

Wait an hour since your last post, or wait for someone else to post.

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Wait an hour since your last post

Gosh, a whole hour? No, I'm not doing that for so many songs. I'll put them all in my opening post, with apologies for it becoming rather long.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

This should help you with Low Below

It already did, thanks! That's probably the hardest one to transcribe - there's so much 'poirate' talk and 'Cor lumme' Victorian prostitute schtick going on, it's difficult to make anything out at all.

5 minutes ago, Presto said:

For Pick Em Up: I believe "Fat one" = "Fat Butt"

Yeah, I think that's what they want you to hear, but in the group echo in particular, I can't hear a b or a t, so I wonder if they sanitised it slightly - kid's film etc. Either works!

2 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

so I wonder if they sanitised it slightly - kid's film etc

Well the main Lost Boy that Peter talks to and names the next Pan is literally called Thud Butt.

15 minutes ago, Presto said:

Sounded to me like "your bones'll Show"/"Your bones will show"

Yes, that makes much more sense! I can hear it more clearly now you've suggested it. Will edit main post - I'm going with the elided version - they slide straight from the s sound straight into the l, especially the second time around.

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Gotta ??? gotta grow,

Gotta moan, gotta groan

5 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Get your fat one off the ground.

The song book has “fat butt” here.

2 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Any suggestions for the Pirate Sequence especially appreciated…

?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

This should help you with Low Below

*slaps forehead*

Quite so. I'd forgotten the script excerpt was posted as well as the page from the novelisation - I'd only consulted the former. All done now.

Only queries remaining are in Childhood, Mothers and the Never Song. Any offers?

10 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

More than mere mothers, mothers are friends,

Their kind of caring never ends.

Mothers far outshine a star,

Every last one shines bright as a the sun shines,

Showing the what wonders mothers are.

Just my two cents; give it a listen and see what you think. Thanks for this thread, btw!

On 27/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, QuartalHarmony said:

When You’re Alone (Disc 1, Track 28)

When you’re all alone, far away from home,

Here’s a gift the angels send when you’re alone.

Should be “There’s a gift”.

Changed.

Anyone for any more, or are we happy this is now (as) definitive (as we can achieve)?

Childhood and The Never Song still have some bits in italics - anyone got any better offers for these bits?

You’ll love ‘em – the words – if you can learn ‘em.

The way was a never.

No way, José. Never.

Great work in this thread. Aside from some subjective quibbles about punctuation, the only things I'd bring up are:

• Near the end of the Pirate Sequence, there are two discrepancies between the recording and the version in the script: In the recording, "Drinks are on Smee" is "Drinks are on me", and the last "There's the grave of Davy Jones" is "Near the grave of Davy Jones". Not sure whether you want to amend that or not, considering the version you've got is the official version.
  • Agreed 100% about "No way Jose, never."
  • I hear "the Never Sky is clear," not "then Never Sky is clear." But it's hard to be positive.
  • "Showing the wonders mothers are" doesn't sound quite right. Maybe "Showing what wonders mothers are"? I hear a "t" sound in there. [EDIT: Oops, @QuartalHarmony already said that, sorry.]

Thank you for this!

Thanks for those - I think we’re nearly there now.

I’ve put the script discrepancies in square brackets after each line for reference.

Only remaining oddities are in Childhood (D3, T3):

0:27 “Half my life after” seems clearly enunciated to me, I’m just not sure it makes much sense!

1:20 “gotten” again seems obvious to me but maybe, being British, that word always sounds slightly wrong to me!

Mark

19 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Only remaining oddities are in Childhood (D3, T3):

0:27 “Half my life after” seems clearly enunciated to me, I’m just not sure it makes much sense!

Mark

Would "have my life after"?

I don’t think so, but that did make me rethink the meaning:

On 27/12/2023 at 6:34 PM, QuartalHarmony said:

Shadows, memories, lingering laughter.

Reach out, touch me, half my life after.

Shadows, memories (and) lingering laughter (are all) reach(ing) out (and) touch(ing) me, half my life(time) after (they happened)

Which fits with the lyrics’ conceit of an adult reminiscing about their childhood.

Does that now make sense?

Makes sense to me!

explanation slightly altered:

Shadows, memories (and) lingering laughter, reach out (and) touch me, half my life(time) after (they happened)

OK, I’ll de-italicise those last bits then. I’m coming to terms with ‘gotten’, even though Bricusse was a fellow Brit and probably wouldn’t have naturally used the word. He would have been quite rightly aware of the audience he was writing for.

So, can we consider ourselves finished, then?

Mark

5 minutes ago, QuartalHarmony said:

I’m coming to terms with ‘gotten’, even though Bricusse was a fellow Brit and probably wouldn’t have naturally used the word. He would have been quite rightly aware of the audience he was writing for.

Mark

And the melody itself.

Mothers (Disc 3, Track 15)

While you are wandering,

If you are wandering,

This should be "While you are wandering, if you are wondering..."

After reading the lyrics I believe it was a good decision not to go that musical route. Hook is basically a story about a father who has lost the connection to his family and wins it back by gaining empathy back in remembering his own childhood. But apart from Stick with Me none of the songs really pay into that story. They are just common Peter Pan songs. Because of that Bricusse could easily repurpose them for his planned Peter Pan musical in 2001.

This is probably an issue similar to the Star Wars sequels: Stiffness from too much awe in front of the original.

This issue doesn't apply for the music, which is as great and free as can be. Just the lyrics.

17 hours ago, John Takis said:

This should be "While you are wandering, if you are wondering..."

Having listened to it again just now, both words are pronounced/sung pretty damn-near identically! That sad, your suggestion certainly would make more sense, so I’ve changed it.

Talking of which, when you say ‘should be’, is that based on any ‘official’ sources you’ve seen, or is it ‘just’ your own ears? Given your experience it could be either and the former would carry significantly more weight.

7 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Talking of which, when you say ‘should be’, is that based on any ‘official’ sources you’ve seen, or is it ‘just’ your own ears?

You can take it as "official."

10 hours ago, QuartalHarmony said:

Understood - thank you.

Can you give us any similarly “official” word on the rest of our efforts so far?

Nothing egregious caught my eye, although I admittedly haven't parsed it that minutely.