The Most Williams like Score by Another Composer?

GerateWohl

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

Based on the responses so far, I may need some further guidance on what exactly makes a score Williams-like apart from being well orchestrated and traditional.

Lots and lots of xylophone.

50 minutes ago, Holko said:

A very small selection that leaves off so many highlights, no?

The opposite, actually, there are way more tracks than there are actual unique cues in Emperor's Tomb's score.*  I've never been able to make time to properly fanedit them.

(Unless you're talking about a different score?)

*I didn't realize you might've been only joking when I typed that...

It's a hard topic to respond to as there's either the scores which are straight off pastiche; Joel McNeely and Kevin Kaska are probably the closest, although Joel McN's more recent scores don't allude to JW quite so close as they used to (and are still great) to those composers who write in a detailed, symphonic, multi-thematic style which can be compared to JW, such as Bruce Broughton. My only thought about Young Sherlock Holmes is that the main thematic material just doesn't feel like it could have been written by JW so while the writing in general does definitely have that detailed, symphonic style, the themes definitely suggest a different composer.

Good shout on Peter Boyer, I listened to one of his albums recently and it's fun hearing someone basically writing more like JW's Olympics style than his film music. If you can't get enough of that side of JW's music, the Boyer albums on Naxos are well worth a listen. He's recently written a work called Rhapsody in Red, White and Blue (low key eye roll) which I'm looking forward to hearing. Recently recorded in London I believe.

If I looked at it another way and asked suggestions for composers or scores similar to a particular composer I'd expect to be asked a follow-up question in return: what it is about their music that I like? In some cases there's an intangible element - you just find their music enjoyable and emotionally resonant but you can't explain why. But in other cases, perhaps you always find their themes interesting, or their approach to scoring a particular type of scene always results in music you find interesting.

There are no composers from whom I like everything (which is why I'm somewhat anti-completist) but within the work I do like, there will be some common element which in technical musical terms stands out, and which other composers will employ.

So hence my earlier suggestions - scores that are traditional, minimise modern influences, complex orchestrations and memorable melodies. However... that's not a 'Williams' thing is it? Many composers out there are traditional writers, just probably working in places other than Hollywood.

Giachinnos Secret weapons over normandy main theme and to some extent some medal of honor main themes too, probably closer is moh allied assault.