First Impressions: The SCORES of 2024

Jay

Definitely my favorite Richter work for films/TV is The Leftovers. He brings back some ideas from his solo albums, but the three season albums make for a great listening experience. And it also works brilliantly within the show, which also incorporates some of his studio pieces like November. Great stuff!

3 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Definitely my favorite Richter work for films/TV is The Leftovers. He brings back some ideas from his solo albums, but the three season albums make for a great listening experience. And it also works brilliantly within the show, which also incorporates some of his studio pieces like November. Great stuff!

I'd say it's his best work, period, even ahead of the studio pieces.

Reviews on-the-go # 5: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-5/

Covering BOAT STORY (Dominik Scherrer), D'ARGENT ET DE SANG (Rone), PROJECT ONE: A MILESTONE IN AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY (Laro Basterrechea), HOW TO HAVE SEX (Jakwob), TOUT CELA JE TE LE DONNERAI (Erwann Kermorvant), RIVIÈRE-PERDUE (André Dziezuk)

I often mix up Max Richter with Jóhann Jóhannsson.

Somehow same bucket of very pacient spherical minimalistic music in my head. 

1 hour ago, GerateWohl said:

I often mix up Max Richter with Jóhann Jóhannsson.

Somehow same bucket of very pacient spherical minimalistic music in my head. 

Richter is a post-minimalist romantic, Jóhannsson is more of a hardcore minimalist. But yes, in the greater scheme of things, they're musically related.

Not exactly a score but it seems an interesting listen.

From Mikael Carlsson on Facebook:

Somehow this went totally under my radar. Aaron Zigman's concert work "Émigré" - an epic story about two jewish brothers who, after the Kristallnacht, are sent halfway around the world, to Shanghai to escape the Nazi tyranny. Zigman is, of course, best known for his film scores but his concert music is strikingly good.

This album is mindblowing - the music is written in that neo-romantic, unabashedly melodic and colorful style so many of us just love to be seduced and overwhelmed by. Album is out now on Deutsche Grammophon and if you are in New York you can catch the NY Phil performing this work tonight (!) (tickets: https://nyphil.org/concerts-tickets/2324/zigman-emigre)

The Gentlemen - Chris Benstead

WOOOW! This is fantastic!

I was expecting this score to be as dark and gritty as tge score Benstead wrote for the film, but they went for a completely different sound hear.

There's lots of choir, big orchestral colours and still some of that gritty music. It's really outstanding in my opinion.

Benstead is really growing as a composer and it's really cool to see his growth over the last few years!

I agree, that IS pretty good, JNHFan2000! Along with TOUT CELA JE TE LE DONNERAI, LES CHÈVRES and (partially) THE BOOK OF CLARENCE one of the more orchestral highlights so far this year, with TOUT CELA being the best. The other highlights, for me, have been more electronically oriented, as I point out in the reviews on-the-go link above.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I haven't been able to see the series yet, but I did listen to the album once and it didn't do a lot for me.

Southall does make a point here that it feels like this score was wrong for this series.

http://www.movie-wave.net/shogun/

The music out

43 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I haven't been able to see the series yet, but I did listen to the album ones and it didn't do a lot for me.

Southall does make a point here that it feels like this score was wrong for this series.

I only listened to it outside the series, and it is a ok score. Nothing really stood out, but quite accessible. 

2 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I haven't been able to see the series yet, but I did listen to the album ones and it didn't do a lot for me.

You beat me to it posting his review which I thought was superbly written. I was looking forward to this show and score having recently become acquainted with Maurice Jarre’s score for the 80s adaptation (which is great) and also having seen Sondheim’s Pacific Overtures which is a superb musical about Japanese isolationism in the 17th to 19th centuries and touches on colonialism etc (which is possibly the least likely subject for a musical I can think of). I shall give this new adaptation a watch but quite disappointed that the music may not be up to much. I trust James’s views and we usually agree on film music!

I don't think I've listened to any 2024 scores yet, apart from the promo albums and youtube rips of Final Fantasy VII Rebirth music.  Can't wait for that OST album to drop on April 10th.  Might be the first 2024 score album I hear?

Nice score! The main theme heard in the first track is quite memorable, and I really like its different arrangements across the album. The fantasy stuff is definitely the best part of the score, because when it veers into action/atmospheric territory in the middle section it lost me a bit, but some trimming should leave a really enjoyable listening experience. Nothing groundbreaking but entertaining and really pretty at times, and a much better score than this (quite mediocre) film deserved!

The cover and your description interested me! Will check this score someday.

But...

image.png

I don't think this composer would be taken serious in Portuguese-speaking countries ROTFLMAO

"Porra" is a curse word in our language (don't ask what it means).

I sampled that one a few weeks back. It got some buzz. Alas, didn't do much for me. Too static. But some potential in there.

This won't be for everyone, but I love this type of music. Tongue firmly planted in cheek. That Main Title is just so much fun.

The album's probably a bit to long, but I honestly don't care. I love this! My type of thing!

cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

One of the best scores of the year so far, and a contender for a Top 10! Coker really shows how great of a composer he is, keeping his style from the video games, but adapting to the narrative brilliantly, with lots of memorable themes and great interplay between them. I love how he slowly develops them across the six episodes and offers some pretty epic and emotional statements during the climax. Some of my favorite ones are Mei Yin's theme and John's theme, and obviously Helena's theme, which is just breathtakingly beautiful.

The album might feel a bit too long, but that's because it contains virtually all the music from the first six episodes of the show, so a bit of trimming is needed to fully enjoy the score. But I'm glad he gave us all the music from the show, and I cannot wait for Part 2 to be released, so we can hear how he develops and expands on this musical universe. I hugely recommend it to anyone looking for a great orchestral, beautiful and epic score, full of memorable themes!

Same here! I watched the series to expierence the music there first, which was great!

Hope Coker does more outside of the videogame space.

I trimmed the album down almost by half for personal use, but it's really strong.

Yeah, it works great within the show which was quite entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking, but the music certainly elevates many of the more emotional scenes!

Lot's of weird vocals.

But I think it says enough about how I feel when I say that the 1 minute reprise of Goldmsith's theme is the best music on the album...

cover.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nobuo Uematsu, Shotaro Shima, Masashi Hamauzu, Shoya Sunakawa, Mitsuto Suzuki, Junnosuke Usui, Reo Uratani, Ryo Furukawa, Yoshitaka Suzuki, Yoshinori Nakamura, Tadayoshi Makino, Keiki Kobayashi, Nozomi Toki, Shingo Kataoka, Tsuyoshi Sekito - FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH (OST album)

I finally got through this 9 hour long original soundtrack album, and I love it.  In some ways, it's even better than Remake, though in other ways it's not as good.  It had more "detours" (for lack of a better word) into dubstep, techno, and pop songs than Remake does, and I generally didn't care for any of those tracks.  And some of the score tracks sort of repeat arrangements from Remake without much difference.  However, the majority of the rest of the score is is really good, with a particular highlight being the entire ending, from "Listen To The Cries of the Planet" until the end.  What a powerful climax!  I'll begin the whittling down to shorter presentations now

I listened to Djawadi's Fallout the last few evenings and it seems to fall right into my taste range. Very little going on thematically at surface level but it's one of those scores where he manages to keep me engaged for the full 70 minutes without ever being new or very distinct. A bit like Eternals, anyone completely allergic to the vaguest RCP influence should run holding their noses, but Djawadi has clearly got some chops in some extended rhythmic and melodic ideas.

Fallout actually has multiple themes running through it. But they are a lot more easy to spot after watching the series.

Yeah, Fallout is more thematically complex than it seems on a first listen, and hearing it in context made me appreciate it a lot more. Same thing happened with Three Body Problem. Both are really good scores that are better appreciated in context first. And there are a couple of memorable themes in both of those scores!

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Nobuo Uematsu, Shotaro Shima, Masashi Hamauzu, Shoya Sunakawa, Mitsuto Suzuki, Junnosuke Usui, Reo Uratani, Ryo Furukawa, Yoshitaka Suzuki, Yoshinori Nakamura, Tadayoshi Makino, Keiki Kobayashi, Nozomi Toki, Shingo Kataoka, Tsuyoshi Sekito - FINAL FANTASY VII REBIRTH (OST album)

Been meaning to listen to this, but the 9 hour presentation is a bit too much to get through. Will probably listen disc by disc when I have time, but if you manage to create a shorter presentation

There's probably more than an hour of detours into dubstep and whatnot that can be culled right away to get down to under 8 hours

For certain there are two stretched of the OST album you can listen to right now that flow great:

-From the first track through "Junon - Fortified Metropolis" (about 1 hour, 40 minutes.... can shorten it by removing the two Queen's Blood tracks)

-From "Listen To The Cries of the Planet" until the final track (also about 1 hour, 40 minutes...though honestly you could remove all the Sephiroth Reborn tracks).

Both stretches would be a pretty good place to get started!

The various Chocobo tracks throughout are charming and fun!

Can't recommend any specific tracks otherwise yet because I kind of tried to listen to it as an album without paying too much attention to what tracks I was listening to for my first listen.

Yes! Frieren is awesome. The score is both beautiful and exciting and even if the album is a bit too long, every track is worth listening. I love how well it balances the action cues (Zoltraak or Frieren the Slayer) with the cute comedy stuff and the more emotional cues, like Beyond the Journey's End which is one of the most beautiful tracks I've heard all year!

Gorgeous score! Perfect blend of traditional orchestra with some oriental influences. Lovely and memorable main theme that gets developed extensively, alongside two other main themes, showcasing a strong and emotional narrative, that sounds more complex and mature than the film is scoring. Arturo Cardelús is a great composer and I hope this score allows him to be more recognized. If you enjoy this one, I also recommend his score for Buñuel en el Laberinto de las Tortugas, another fantastic score with a brilliant main theme!

Watched both films and listened to both albums and the overall feeling is the same for both. Some nice stuff hidden between some derivative stuff, which makes it seem like a waste of potential. I actually enjoyed the scores more than I enjoyed the films, and I feel that when Holkenborg is not just relying on his usual loud-action-drum stuff, the music it's actually pretty great.

I love the vocal and emotional sections in both scores, and I like several of the themes that run across both albums, but I feel the action tends to be a bit too obnoxious at times, so these would greatly benefit from a shorter presentation highlighting only the best stuff. Even so, I feel Holkenborg is slowly growing as a composer, and if you enjoyed his score for Three Thousand Years of Longing, you'll also appreciate the softer and more emotional stuff in here!

Same here, scores are definitely better than the films they accompany. Still not Holkenborg's best work though, that remains in my opinion Alita and Sonic 1.

But I agree with you that the scores are better in their quieter parts. Cues like Auguries Of Innocence are actually really great (shades of Many Mothers from Mad Max), but the action music has an everything and the kitchen sink feel without much difference between the cues.

Still, for the films they accompany it's a solid effort.

On 17/04/2024 at 2:15 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

This is fabulous!

Almost on par with Call's 23 Lords Of The Shogun. If you love big orchestrals scores, this is for you!

Wonderful stuff.

cover.jpg

I just spent yesterday the whole day listening to this. It's wonderful! I loved how many of the tracks are small scale, just gorgeous folksy writing for flutes, harp, fiddle, voices, sometimes a string section... And Beyond the Journe's End is a wonderful cue for full choir.

In fact, disc 1 is so good that 2 underwhelms a bit in comparison, especially when there's a long stretch of comedic tracks in the middle... Still, there are some excellent material on 2 as well.

So far my favorite score of the year.

Reviews on-the-go # 6: https://celluloidtunes.no/reviews-on-the-go-6/

RONJA THE ROBBER'S DAUGHTER (Johan Söderqvist)
SUPERSEX (Ralf Hildenbeutel)
HOW TO BLOW UP A PIPELINE (Gavin Brivik)
NUDES (Rob, Nousdeuxtheband & Paul Sabin)
TIME BOMB Y2K (Nathan Micay)
CHALLENGERS (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)

I have no idea what score you're referring to, because all I see in your post is "Video Unavailable - The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I have no idea what score you're referring to, because all I see in your post is "Video Unavailable - The uploader has not made this video available in your country"

That’s like 90% of YouTube clips people post for me. Amazingly I can see this one. Random.

However I reiterate my request for people to write the name of the thing they are linking to about the YouTube clip if possible. Sometimes it’s possible to still find them or another version. Or just to know what everyone is talking about. 

On 25/04/2024 at 2:20 PM, Thor said:

RONJA THE ROBBER'S DAUGHTER (Johan Söderqvist)

CHALLENGERS (Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross)

Listened to Ronja a while ago and I enjoyed the main theme and the folksy parts.

As for Challengers, I don't buy at all into the Reznor / Ross hype that comes up every time they do a new score, and I've already read some people saying it's one of the best scores ever...

That said, I'm open to be surprised to see how the score works in context, but on album it seems like just some (fun) EDM tracks and not much more.

56 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

Listened to Ronja a while ago and I enjoyed the main theme and the folksy parts.

Yes, as I say in the article, the folksier, "purer" bits are the best.

56 minutes ago, Knight of Ren said:

As for Challengers, I don't buy at all into the Reznor / Ross hype that comes up every time they do a new score, and I've already read some people saying it's one of the best scores ever...

That said, I'm open to be surprised to see how the score works in context, but on album it seems like just some (fun) EDM tracks and not much more.

If you like EDM and electronic music, give it a go. It's a great DJ set, the best conceptual score album from a Reznor/Ross production, thanks to Boys Noize.

Yeah, I like that type of music outside of film scores, and I enjoyed the album in that sense, but I'm not sure it works as film music, but I'll reserve my judgement until I hear how it works in context. But yeah, both albums are pretty fun to listen to if you enjoy that type of electronic music!