Tales Of The Empire (May 4th) - Mini Series

20 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Well... that's certainly a take you won't find much company on.

I think you must just love young Kirstie Alley, because your diatribe against it (while completely failing to even explain why it's "dumb" according to you) really doesn't make you out to be a fan. And @Tallguy quite effectively pointed out that you really weren't paying much attention to the movie.

Uh... WHY? Terraforming is a thing in sci-fi. What if there was a device that could terraform an entire planet super-fast, but the consequences were that it would also destroy any pre-existing life on that planet? That is an *interesting* sci-fi concept/conundrum. There's nothing dumb about it.

Well... you're especially dumb for saying this, because of course your issue is with Star Trek III! Nicholas Meyer, writer and director of the film, absolutely 100% intended Spock's death to be permanent, and was very upset when Paramount decided to back out of that. I agree that (as much as I do enjoy Nimoy's presence as Spock in the remaining Trek films), dramatically that was a huge mistake, and Star Trek II should have been allowed to have the powerful ending for the character than Meyer (and Nimoy himself, originally) intended!

Didn't Star Trek II have stuff added to make Spock's return possible though? (The capsule on Genesis, "Remember"?)

6 minutes ago, Faleel said:

Didn't Star Trek II have stuff added to make Spock's return possible though? (The capsule on Genesis, "Remember"?)

Added without Meyer? Yes. Added after the film was released? No.

Look! TIE fighters!

I never did see the Clone Wars episodes where Dooku razes Dathomir. Maybe I should catch up. I also never saw the whole "Ahsoka on trial" part either.

30 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I never did see the Clone Wars episodes where Dooku razes Dathomir.

That was part of the Return of Darth Maul arc IIRC.

3 hours ago, Faleel said:

Yeah, as Tallguy pointed out -- without the involvement from the writer/director of the film. But even then, it was vague and open-ended. It's still Star Trek III's fault for actually bringing Spock back and negating his sacrifice at the end of II. Even with those producer/studio additions to II, III could have had some kind of remnant of Spock's memories and such living in McCoy, without his physical body being resurrected and such. It's bizarre to lay that complaint on Wrath of Khan.

Yavar

On 09/04/2024 at 11:24 AM, Schilkeman said:

Don't even get me fucking started on KOTOR II. Actually KOTOR I for than matter. Grey Jedi aren't a thing. I get why they're there as a game mechanic, but they aren't a thing.

in terms of the narrative, 'Grey Jedi' (a term not even used in the games) just means someone who follows Jedi ideals but doesn't associate with the Jedi Order - that's it

14 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Uh... WHY?

Terraforming is a fine concept. The resurrection device it's turned into is dumb. That's some comic book nonsense. They don't use it as a hard sci fi concept. Its plot relevance is to set up the ending.

even though you didn't explain why

A super genius who can be outsmarted by thinking in 3D? You know, the dimension we all live in.

Well... you're especially dumb for saying this, because of course your issue is with Star Trek III! Nicholas Meyer, writer and director of the film, absolutely 100% intended Spock's death to be permanent

They go back on it by the end of the movie. They are hedging their bets with that last shot on the planet. Again, it's comic book nonsense. I called the movie dumb, not you. Learn the difference. 

Star Trek V

...is the movie against which all badness is measured.

And yet you champion the big dumb let's-turn-Picard-into-a-violent-action-hero movie?

"And he piled upon the whales white hump, the sum of all the rage and hate felt by his whole race. If his chest had been a cannon, he would have shot his heart upon it."

or the actual quote, “He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it.”

Look, I think all the ST movies have a share of stupidity, but I always love the stories that go back in time to show us poor idiots in the past that things really can improve, all we have to do is choose to be better. Star Trek is hopeful and idealistic. Rodenberry was wrong to say that in the future all conflict would be resolved and everyone would get along. He was not wrong to say that in the future we would possess the mental health and general emotional competence to overcome petty personal struggles when we are confronted with doing so. This is exemplified in First Contact.

quite effectively pointed out

He didn't really. It's still under the surface. There are military inspections, straight-up naval uniforms, and an apparent fear from some members of the general population that Starfleet is a "military" organization outside the civilian world, but which can commandeer civilian projects.

But nice try!

It wasn't a gotcha. I responded to the thing you posted. You asked my opinion on WoK and how I though Meyer maybe wasn't the best fit for Star Trek, and I gave it to you. It wasn't a personal attack on you, your character, the things you like, or your character for liking the things you like.  Maybe chill a little.

5 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

in terms of the narrative, 'Grey Jedi' (a term not even used in the games) just means someone who follows Jedi ideals but doesn't associate with the Jedi Order - that's it

That's one half of it. The other is a Jedi who "walks a fine line" so to speak between light and dark. Dawn of the Jedi (the comic) deals with this quite intelligently, and in line with George's general ethos on using the dark side (that it will eventually corrupt you fully). The grim dark, clearly-written-in-the-aftermath-of-9/11 Republic comic from 2002, best exemplified by Quinlan Vos, does not. The game uses force powers interchangeably, because the game is more fun to play that way, and they attempted to find a way to explain how a character could be both light and dark. I understand why it's there, but I don't accept it as canon.

1 hour ago, Schilkeman said:

That's one half of it. The other is a Jedi who "walks a fine line" so to speak between light and dark. Dawn of the Jedi (the comic) deals with this quite intelligently, and in line with George's general ethos on using the dark side (that it will eventually corrupt you fully). The grim dark, clearly-written-in-the-aftermath-of-9/11 Republic comic from 2002, best exemplified by Quinlan Vos, does not. The game uses force powers interchangeably, because the game is more fun to play that way, and they attempted to find a way to explain how a character could be both light and dark. I understand why it's there, but I don't accept it as canon.

so to be clear, an explanation for that other kind of Grey Jedi isn't in the games themselves unless I'm misremembering. you took issue with me praising KOTOR 2 because of its handling of Grey Jedi, but it sounds like your issues with that lie outside of that game as you acknowledge being able to use both light and dark powers is a gameplay conceit

2 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

so to be clear, an explanation for that other kind of Grey Jedi isn't in the games themselves unless I'm misremembering. you took issue with me praising KOTOR 2 because of its handling of Grey Jedi, but it sounds like your issues with that lie outside of that game as you acknowledge being able to use both light and dark powers is a gameplay conceit

“Light side? Dark side? Oh no, it's all grey to me.” A quote from KOTOR I

"Gray Jedi are those who, though having completed the teachings of the Jedi, operate independently and outside of the Jedi Council. They are typically seen as misguided, though they have not necessarily succumbed to the dark side." An item description from KOTOR II. 

The idea of being "down the middle" showed up in a few places around that time, probably in response to people not liking the movie take on the Jedi. The games use it as a mechanic, and attempt to justify it through story. The games are really where the concept comes from, and bringing it back to Filoni's output, he seems to be moving in a more Jedi critical direction since the end of Rebels.

On 10/04/2024 at 5:27 PM, Schilkeman said:

“Light side? Dark side? Oh no, it's all grey to me.” A quote from KOTOR I

"Gray Jedi are those who, though having completed the teachings of the Jedi, operate independently and outside of the Jedi Council. They are typically seen as misguided, though they have not necessarily succumbed to the dark side." An item description from KOTOR II. 

The idea of being "down the middle" showed up in a few places around that time, probably in response to people not liking the movie take on the Jedi. The games use it as a mechanic, and attempt to justify it through story. The games are really where the concept comes from, and bringing it back to Filoni's output, he seems to be moving in a more Jedi critical direction since the end of Rebels.

this is very uncompelling evidence

that quote is from Jolee Bindo who is the type of Grey Jedi covered in that item description

I said that the 'other kind of Grey Jedi' you brought up didn't have any explanations in the games, the one that uses both light and dark abilities. Jolee only uses light side abilities and is morally aligned to the light side

on the point of Quinlan Voss as well, I read the Republic comics and the whole point of his character is that you can't use the dark side without consequence. even though he does it to be a double agent, it actually starts getting to him and he starts falling to the dark side. he doesn't fit the category of Grey Jedi you described either, he's a maverick within the Jedi Order who skirts too close to the dark side whilst trying to be in deep cover.

Bravo @Yavar Moradi!

47 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

These uniforms look far more "naval" to me:

That's what I've been saying for over FORTY YEARS!

21 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

I leave you people alone for a little bit, and y'all go off and talk about Star Trek!

Hey, he brought it back to Star Wars at the end.

This is the last I'll address this because this isn't a Star Trek thread.

13 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

You mean the tacked-on-last-minute-without-the-writer/director's-involvement-or-approval ending?

"They"? Again, are you really so unaware of how last minute an addition to the film that was, by Paramount brass? You're dismissing Nicholas Meyer's work (which is why I originally brought up Star Trek II in the context of this thread

It's still in the movie, and so is his name. If it wasn't his choice, fine, redirect the "they" to Paramount. My objections were not to Meyer specifically, but to the artistic choices made making the film. The militaristic stuff and the cartoon villiany are all him, so he still gets a fair share of the credit, as far as I'm concerned, for a movie I mostly like, but have a few objections to.

The script needed another pass or two.

image.gif

Don't understand what point you were trying to make

That is apparent.

makes me angry

Doesn't sound too hard

I'm anticipating that you'll come at me with, "but in 1996 Khan would have been familiar with submarines and airplanes,

I'm coming at you with: he left Earth in a space ship. He knows how to travel and navigate in space. He "never forgets a face," but forgot about space-time? I don't buy it.

StarFLEET *is* and always WAS a military organization!

Some nice tidbits in here. https://www.npr.org/2013/05/21/185774613/the-starfleet-divide-the-star-trek-universe-revisits-one-of-its-great-debates

For my take, Starfleet had a Prime Directive to not, "interfere with (the progress of) a less developed civilization." That is a mandate of science and exploration, not a military.

so did Tony Gilroy do his Star Wars homework

He appears to have had plenty of help from Pablo Hidalgo and the story group. He seems well-versed on the 5 years or so the show and movie takes place. Out of universe, though, he doesn't appear to have looked to any of the sources of Star Wars narratively, thematically, stylistically, or cinematically. And for me, those things count for an awful lot.

Maybe Tales of the Empire will give me what I'm looking for. Filoni is capable of good work, as evidenced by most of Rebels and the Ahsoka centric arcs of TCW.

20 hours ago, DarthDementous said:

this is very uncompelling evidence

I honestly don't remember what evidence I was supposed to be presenting, but my objection to the concept of Jedi who would skirt with the dark side is this: an abuse of power is justified by the ability to reason that what I'm doing is ok, if it achieves goal X. What George reasons, and I agree with him, is that this "grey" area is actually very thin. That justifying it once is a sure-fire way to justify it more, and that ultimately, it will corrupt us.

The idea that heroes, so to speak, could walk a morally relativistic line, so long as it achieved their goals, was a popular concept in the edge-lord world of comics in the early aughts. George's "dogmatic" view of the Jedi was, and continues to be, criticized, with a growing segment coming from the story creators themselves. From my point of view, "grey" is antithetical to Star Wars.

"Rogue" Jedi can only exist because the Jedi order exists. The Jedi order exists as part of a boon with the galaxy's populace that they will be self-regulating. This is why they were tied to the Senate, which in a functioning republic represents the populace, and why they were so concerned with having to take over the Republic in Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine was able to use the idea that they were "trying to take over" to hunt them to extinction.

Using the dark side is a do, or do not situation, or as my jazz professor would say, a pregnancy question. You either use it, or you don't. It is not a set of powers, so much as the intention behind their use. The intention behind their use is to achieve goal X, which I am justified in doing because of Y. The entire friction of the prequels is predicated on the ideals of the Jedi being used against them. They chose not to violate them, even to their destruction. That's the point, and the ultimate thesis delivered by Luke in Return of the Jedi.

7 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

I honestly don't remember what evidence I was supposed to be presenting, but my objection to the concept of Jedi who would skirt with the dark side is this: an abuse of power is justified by the ability to reason that what I'm doing is ok, if it achieves goal X. What George reasons, and I agree with him, is that this "grey" area is actually very thin. That justifying it once is a sure-fire way to justify it more, and that ultimately, it will corrupt us.

The idea that heroes, so to speak, could walk a morally relativistic line, so long as it achieved their goals, was a popular concept in the edge-lord world of comics in the early aughts. George's "dogmatic" view of the Jedi was, and continues to be, criticized, with a growing segment coming from the story creators themselves. From my point of view, "grey" is antithetical to Star Wars.

"Rogue" Jedi can only exist because the Jedi order exists. The Jedi order exists as part of a boon with the galaxy's populace that they will be self-regulating. This is why they were tied to the Senate, which in a functioning republic represents the populace, and why they were so concerned with having to take over the Republic in Revenge of the Sith. Palpatine was able to use the idea that they were "trying to take over" to hunt them to extinction.

Using the dark side is a do, or do not situation, or as my jazz professor would say, a pregnancy question. You either use it, or you don't. It is not a set of powers, so much as the intention behind their use. The intention behind their use is to achieve goal X, which I am justified in doing because of Y. The entire friction of the prequels is predicated on the ideals of the Jedi being used against them. They chose not to violate them, even to their destruction. That's the point, and the ultimate thesis delivered by Luke in Return of the Jedi.

yes. you've just described Quinlan Voss's arc which you previously threw into the 'edgelord comics post 9/11' category despite it exemplifying everything you're talking about and saying that George wanted to convey. Quinlan Voss also existed before 9/11, for the record

this also has nothing to do with KOTOR 2 narratively, that was the evidence you were meant to be presenting

14 hours ago, Schilkeman said:

This is the last I'll address this because this isn't a Star Trek thread.

It's the thread where you called Star Trek II a "dumb movie" in response to my using Nicholas Meyer as an example that one doesn't have to be a fan of a franchise in advance, to make a significant positive contribution to it... so it's the thread where the debate is happening.

It's still in the movie, and so is his name. If it wasn't his choice, fine, redirect the "they" to Paramount. My objections were not to Meyer specifically, but to the artistic choices made making the film. The militaristic stuff and the cartoon villiany are all him, so he still gets a fair share of the credit, as far as I'm concerned, for a movie I mostly like, but have a few objections to.

Seems like you have a lot of objections to the movie and haven't mentioned much of anything you like, but I didn't even specifically bring up The Wrath of Khan itself -- you did. I brought up *Nicholas Meyer*, for his positive contributions to the Star Trek franchise (on three films: II, IV, and VI) despite being a self-described non-fan of Star Trek (just as Tony Gilroy has made significant positive contributions to the Star Wars franchise despite being a self-described non-fan of Star Wars). Then you listed a bunch of issues you had with Star Trek II, the most significant of which Nicholas Meyer had nothing to do with, and the others of which were just silly and thoroughly refuted by me just above, which you have conveniently ignored.

That is apparent.

So instead of this snarky comment, you could have actually explained what point you were trying to make, if you found it significant. (Does anyone else here understand what he was trying to say?)

Doesn't sound too hard

Another little zinger of a comment that's basically an empty response from the guy who's apparently upset about a lot more things, including some of the best Star Trek and Star Wars to ever be produced.

I'm coming at you with: he left Earth in a space ship. He knows how to travel and navigate in space. He "never forgets a face," but forgot about space-time? I don't buy it.

Space...time? Huh?? I thought the issue in question was maneuvering a ship for battle in 3D rather than 2D. But sheesh, here we go... Khan left Earth in a space ship in 1996, less than three decades after the Star Trek episode "Space Seed" was produced. He left on that ship as a passenger. There is no evidence I recall from "Space Seed" indicating he was either the pilot or the navigator of that ship. And even when he is eventually captaining the Reliant and eventually punches a button or two later on (i.e. to speed up after the Enterprise at one point), he is clearly not steering the ship himself or inputting navigation, but only giving orders to other people operating the controls. So even though he may be a battle tactician from the Eugenics Wars on earth centuries before, he does NOT have battle experience in space, and so is at a disadvantage despite being highly intelligent. Never forgetting a face has nothing to do with it. He can't remember 3D space battle tactics he NEVER LEARNED. I haven't read the Eugenics War novels, but as far as I know, Earth isn't supposed to have had space battles between ships occurring during the Eugenics Wars. I don't think space vessel technology was supposed to be remotely that advanced at that point.

Some nice tidbits in here. https://www.npr.org/2013/05/21/185774613/the-starfleet-divide-the-star-trek-universe-revisits-one-of-its-great-debates

For my take, Starfleet had a Prime Directive to not, "interfere with (the progress of) a less developed civilization." That is a mandate of science and exploration, not a military.

So you ignore all my points about rank, orders, military discipline being present there all along from the original series, and Nicholas Meyer falling largely in line with that... and instead bring up the Prime Directive. Setting aside the fact that every Starfleet captain seems to regularly violate the Prime Directive, have you ever considered that it might be a rule IMPOSED upon a military to keep it from doing things it should not do (and probably would do, without that directive)? It's like how the Geneva Convention came up with rules of engagement that all world militaries are supposed to follow (though we sure are seeing lately how much those are really worth... even less than the Prime Directive, it seems like.)

He appears to have had plenty of help from Pablo Hidalgo and the story group. He seems well-versed on the 5 years or so the show and movie takes place. Out of universe, though, he doesn't appear to have looked to any of the sources of Star Wars narratively, thematically, stylistically, or cinematically. And for me, those things count for an awful lot.

Sure, and Nicholas Meyer had plenty of help, too, on Star Treks II and VI. (And he *was* the help on Star Trek IV.) In fact on Star Trek II many of the story beats were not his, but incorporated by him (with improvements) from the disparate previous drafts written by other people. Some of the elements you dislike were probably already pre-determined by those previous scripts, before Meyer made something cohesive out of the whole thing. But the only thing relevant to my point you were originally replying to is: as a non-fan of the franchise, did Meyer turn out to be overall an asset to it, or a detriment? And I think most people in the world will agree he was very much an asset (many would even say he saved the franchise from oblivion). You bringing up things you dislike about Star Trek II is *wholly irrelevant*, if Meyer wasn't the one responsible for them.

Yavar

The difference between Nicholas Meyer's Wrath of Khan and Gilroy's Andor and to a lesser extent Rogue One: Meyer made a Star Trek movie that was in many ways more Star Trek than Star Trek. It wasn't trying to go in another direction. It was trying to get back to basics.

Andor is addressing the Star Wars universe and presenting it in a different way. Andor is like if Star Wars was a real place and Coppola or Fincher decided to make a movie there instead of Lucas.

Oh, and Starfleet is definitely a military. Before TNG that wasn't even a question. (Dammit. I slipped back into Star Trek.)

12 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Andor is addressing the Star Wars universe and presenting it in a different way. Andor is like if Star Wars was a real place and Coppola or Fincher decided to make a movie there instead of Lucas.

it's interesting because I still see a lot of Lucas in Andor, maybe not Star Wars Lucas, but the Prison Arc especially is incredibly reminiscent of THX-1138

The two things that kept trying to find their way back into Star Wars in the 90s was The Whills and The Sith. 

I guess for some  here (and I very much approve) Star Wars had reached such super-saturation that any new project needs to have its raison d'etre aruged about.

On 09/04/2024 at 2:45 PM, Tallguy said:

I never did see the Clone Wars episodes where Dooku razes Dathomir. Maybe I should catch up. I also never saw the whole "Ahsoka on trial" part either.

That's Massacre from Season 4 (E19) and the final 4 episodes of Season 5, really good episodes.