BSX Digital: HOME ALONE: CLASSIC FILM THEMES BY JOHN WILLIAMS FOR SOLO PIANO

2trer8z4

Also available from all digital and streaming services

BSXDG0193

Includes Digital Booklet

BSX Digital announces the release of  Home Alone: The Music of  John Williams For Solo Piano as performed by Joohyun Park

Included in this compilation are themes from  Home Alone, Jurassic Park, Earthquake, Cinderella Liberty, Stepmom, A.I.: Artificial Intelligence and others.

Joohyun Park is an accomplished composer, pianist, orchestrator, and producer who has worked on some two dozen film projects to date. She has served in Hollywood productions, such as Catfish, The Zoo, Life Below Zero, Creation, Priest, The Rum Diary, Drag Me to Hell, When in Rome, The Monkey King, and many others.

Home Alone: The Music of  John Williams is mastered by James Nelson and mixed by Matt LaPoint.

Somewhere in My Memory _from Home Alone_3:07

Theme _from Jurassic Park_3:16

Theme _from The Eiger Sanction_3:29

Theme _from Earthquake_3:28

Wednesday Special _from Cinderella Liberty_2:29

Theme _from The Patriot_3:25

Theme _from Rosewood_ 4:31

The Days Between _from Stepmom_ 6:12

My Inamorata _from Not with My Wife_ You Don_t_. 3:44

For Always _from A_I_ Artificial Intelligence_ 4:49

Olympic Fanfare and Theme. 5:10

Intriguing. Piano versions of themes can be a bit samey, but I love the selection of titles here. NOT WITH MY WIFE YOU DON'T! One of my top 10 JW scores, but rarely showcased like this.

I can't remember if I've checked out the earlier albums.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

This seems to be a new pianist, so might be better.

She perfomed on Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica solo piano album. 

I liked her earlier Toy Story album (though I would have preferred 2 more Newman tracks over Dream Weaver and Le Freak, 2 pop songs I'd forgotten were even part of the series).

10 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

But at.least we might get at last a proper recording of the piano arrangement of The Days Between which I dearly love.

Is there an official arrangement?

Just checked the samples and they sound too mechanical to me, among other things. 

20 hours ago, GerateWohl said:

At least this book contains one and it is perfect.

20240504_143038.jpg

My brain forced me to forget it.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Just checked the samples and they sound too mechanical to me, among other things. 

I checken them, too. I think, the performance might not necessarilly be the problem. But the recording doesn't really give room to the piano sound so that it can float and echo a little.

That's why it sounds so mechanical. 

At least my impression. 

32 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I checken them, too. I think, the performance might not necessarilly be the problem. But the recording doesn't really give room to the piano sound so that it can float and echo a little.

That's why it sounds so mechanical. 

At least my impression. 

It varies between tracks, I'd say. I'd play The Patriot theme with a little bit more rubato, for example. 

On 04/05/2024 at 2:05 PM, GerateWohl said:

But at.least we might get at last a proper recording of the piano arrangement of The Days Between which I dearly love.

Well, there's Williams' OWN piano performance of the piece on the Keisuke Wakao album. It doesn't get much more "proper" than that, I think.

Just now, Thor said:

Well, there's Williams' OWN piano performance of the piece on the Keisuke Wakao album. It doesn't get much more "proper" than that, I think.

But I prefer a pure piano arrangement, not just some accompainment for a melody instrument. 

Ah, OK. There is a bit of give and take in that recording, though. Sometimes, Williams plays the melody upfront, other times he takes a back seat to Wakao.

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Ah, OK. There is a bit of give and take in that recording, though. Sometimes, Williams plays the melody upfront, other times he takes a back seat to Wakao.

Might be. But still the character of such an arrangement is different for me, if other instruments are involved.

It is like monologue vs. dialogue.

The piano playing doesn't really sound like played by a human...

Based on the samples, I don't like anything about these performances. The recording is too dry with no reverb or room sound. Sounds like the whole thing was recorded in a phone booth. The performance itself is oddly plain with no apparent style of any kind. This is an odd one.

I don't have strong opinions about the performances one way or another, but kudos to the producers for picking some lesser-known compositions - it's a nice contrast from most of these compilation albums.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

At least one album each for JW, JG, and JH.

Are you referring to these Dan Redfeld albums? 

Question: Is Dan Redfeld a man with very small hands? On the Williams album he plays these beautiful chords permanently with arpeggio, which I find a little annoying. The only excuse would be that he has such small hands, that he is simply not able to play all keys at the same time.