Helm's Deep as hacked as Naboo/Geonosis?

Miz

The Two Towers has been released on video in the UK, and after watching the battle of Helm's Deep I've realised the score is rather jumpy, especially compared to the album. Track 17 is split at many points and other cues inserted - now I know the OST is presented as such that we get clean, flowing pieces (which I appreciate) but there is some good music missing. It seems the score for this impressive sequence (which is very episodic in its presentation) is not very fluid...yet we don't hear as many complaints about it as we do TPMs Naboo Battle (or AOTC Geonosis battle, which granted is recycled anyway). I suppose this is an issue with CGI fests because a superb job was made of The Battle of Endor by JW because he scored it when the editing was completely finished.

Helm's Deep doesn't 'feel' hacked, and there are many cues I would love to have in an expanded edition (mainly short-ish action tracks), but I know an impressive album would have to be created from the original recordings for it not to sound like TPM's schizophrenic 'Ultimate' Edition.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I really didn't notice any editing there, or perhaps just a few cases that I don't remember right now. The album is heavily edited, and not just during the battle, but as a whole. FOTR as an album is a far more straightforward presentation of the score as it is in the movie, though of course it's still missing tons of stuff (partly stuff that would be in the tracks if they hadn't been shortened from their movie counterparts), but at least it's all in chronological order.

Marian - who hasn't watched TTT in months, but will do so again soon. ROTFLMAO

:) The Matrix (Don Davis)

Both CD's of FOTR and TTT offer cues that have been shortened significantly. (the film version of The Bridge Of Khazad Dum is a lot longer, as is Amon Hen)

Atleast FOTR is in a corre t cronological order, but TTT jumps all over the place.

The edits are a lot better done then Williams recent Star Wars CD's though, so it does not sound as jarring.

Still, i really want complete 3 CD releases of every score

Stefancos- who hopes it will happen soon.

There seem to be a few definate edits in the film.

I think there are even 2 brief instances when music from FOTR is used (Just before Treebeard steps on that Orc that's trying to kill Merry you can hear a snippet or Ringwraith music, and when the Warg Riders are appearing you can hear a piece of The Bridge Of Khazad Dum)

But this amounts to about 15 seconds in a 3 hour film, so who cares.

Stefancos- looking forward to Shore's new music for TTT next november.

The reason it doesn't sound as bad is because you don't have 5 different chase cues all in different rhythms being edited together like on AOTC. At least they made it more coherent in TTT.

Gondor theme????

Watch the Council of Elrond, then watch Boromir talking about Minas Tirith while in Lorien, then watch the Shore bit in the TTT:EE preview.

Marian - who just watched Jurassic Park again and was annoyed by some BAD music edits and a ridiculously low music volume. (That T-Rex IS big though ;) )

:music: Gerhardt's Waxman compilation

While watching The Two Towers on DVD tonight,i kept thinking this movie might actually be better if they just turned off the music altoghter(seriously).

K.M.

Marian - who just watched Jurassic Park again and was annoyed by some BAD music edits and a ridiculously low music volume. (That T-Rex IS big though  ;) )

I keep telling you all over and over and over...

K.M.who thinks nobody here saw JP recently.

I'm wondering what Shore's going to do for the complete releases of the LotR movies. He's said that there'll definitely complete releases of all three scores once RotK's finished, but I'm wondering what he's going to do with the stuff from the EE, how it's going to be placed on the discs. In the Bilbo's Gifts scene from the FotR EE, the same music is heard, but it's newly recorded, and I think a little differently orchestrated, and it flows straight into the new music for the departure from Rivendell. There's still some great LotR cues out there.

- Marc, who watched Toy Story this afternoon and wanted to watch Jurassic Park after that, but didn't have enough time left.

:music: Requiem For A Dream (The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Remix) ;)

Well it doesn't matter.You can chop up those LotR cues and re-edit them anyway you like because they always sound the same(long notes with a chorus that play uninteresting melodies).

K.M.

If you say so... :?

I'm wondering what Shore's going to do for the complete releases of the LotR movies.

I hope that in the case of an original and a newly composed EE cue, he'll include the originals as bonus tracks. One of my favourite bits in FOTR is when Aragorn takes them from Bree to Weathertop. There's a lovely expanded version of it for the EE, where the sequence also includes the Midgewater Moors, but my favourite is still the shorter original version, which nearly sounds like something Bruckner might have written. ;)

Marian - who ripped that cue from the DVD menu.

A good example of an "extended" album is E.T.. There is music on the current CD that was not on any other album of E.T. but there is still music in the movie not available on the CD.

A good example of a "complete" CD would be Star Wars which has every cue in the film released.

Neil

Well it doesn't matter.You can chop up those LotR cues and re-edit them anyway you like because they always sound the same(long notes with a chorus that play uninteresting melodies).  

Yup.

Ray Barnsbury

Are you, Stefan? I had no idea you were tone deaf. Well it does explain a lot though. Now I won't have to judge you on it :P

:) And She Said (Take me Now)

I sincerely hope all three LOTR scores get the extended/complete treatment.

Has anyone really enjoyed Shore's reorchestration of 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' which plays over the list of 'LOTR Fan Club Founder Members' in the end credits of FOTR: EE. It's has a slighty softer sound quality to it; I don't know how this was achieved, if it involved electronic instrumentation. Any thoughts?

Andrew, UK

I don't listen too often too it. But the original piece is amazing. It fits the film like a glove and breaks my heart when I hear the beginning, and then makes me smile when I hear the drums coming in. That shot of Sam and Frodo walking up the hill at the end of FotR is to me the ultimate Tolkien shot in the movie.

- Marc, who will listen to his FotR CD now. :)

Has anyone really enjoyed Shore's reorchestration of 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' which plays over the list of 'LOTR Fan Club Founder Members' in the end credits of FOTR: EE. It's has a slighty softer sound quality to it; I don't know how this was achieved, if it involved electronic instrumentation. Any thoughts?

It didn't sound like it has synths to me, and I see no reason why it should. I think it's just a slightly different recording setup, a bit better I'd say, has more clarity....but then, the music in the film does seem to sound clearer than the music on the CD anyway.

I think we are going to find (unfortunetly) that all movies from now on will always be edited enough for it to sound weird when listening to it alone. It's because nobody cares about the classical movie music. That's why so many movie soundtracks have "Music from and INSPIRED by the movie"

Well, I watched TTT again yesterday and I honestly didn't notice a single music edit in the Helm's Deep battle. There was a bit that sounded edited when the Ents break the dam at Isengard, but I can't tell for sure because the sound fx are too loud at that point. It's definitely either edited in the film or on the album though.

Marian - who thinks Shore goes into Glass mode everytime he writes music for water.

Yup.

Ray Barnsbury

But "In Dreams" is extremely beautiful. After almost two years of owning both LOTR scores, I found myself listening to only Breaking of the Fellowship track and listening to nothing from TTT at all.

To me, LOTR music is generally forgettable, but I am sure I will always be returning to "In Dreams", or Breaking of the Fellowship as a whole. I so much love it that I almost cry when I hear Ross' singing. I don't feel ashamed about it, well, we'll never meet so not blush and be a little shy...?

Roman.-)

The version of 'The Breaking of the Fellowship' which appears in the extended fan club credits was recorded in New Zealand at the same time as the Moria cues (March/April 2001ish) for an earlier cut of the film.

Really? How did you find out about this?

- Marc, always interested in alternate versions of... pretty much anything. :)

:mrgreen: Howard Shore - Helm's Deep from The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (OST)

A good example of an "extended" album is E.T..  There is music on the current CD that was not on any other album of E.T. but there is still music in the movie not available on the CD.

A good example of a "complete" CD would be Star Wars which has every cue in the film released.

Neil

Oh ok. I thought you guys meant "complete" release of the entire films, as in, there would be one massive DVD collection with even more stuff than the extended DVD's we're getting now. Unless... that collection is actually going to be produced...

I don't listen too often too it. But the original piece is amazing. It fits the film like a glove and breaks my heart when I hear the beginning, and then makes me smile when I hear the drums coming in.

Word.

For some reason the music didn't stick with me the first time I saw the movie. It was until almost a year later that I got the soundtrack in a round-up of albums I'd been meaning to get. Anyway, it was the last one I listened to, and I was totally blown away. (For once the Academy had its head on straight.)

Though Breaking is far and away the best cue, I always like to listen to the whole album, just to build the anticipation.

I for one would definitely buy a full version of FOTR. (I especially want the entire Hobbiton cue.) Hopefully ROTK will have more of the Fellowship theme and "The Hymn" as Shore calls the theme in Breaking.

Any word on who the femal vocalist will be?

• 2 weeks later...

For some reason the music didn't stick with me the first time I saw the movie.  It was until almost a year later that I got the soundtrack in a round-up of albums I'd been meaning to get.  Anyway, it was the last one I listened to, and I was totally blown away.  (For once the Academy had its head on straight.)

Are you saying any of Williams' were deserving? :?

Luke, who likes bits of LOTR scores.