What is the last film you watched?

MrScratch

The Oscars, by God, Joe, the Oscars! The Oscars are a commercial business. Do you really don't think I care for the most partial award on Earth? I'm talking about what "lives" amongst movie fans. You're talking about "Grandaddies" and little girls who dreamt of being on that boat with MR. Blondie Locks.

Look at IMDB, the biggest list on the net. It scores 6.9! Is that the greatest film ever made? It's not even in that their Top 250, Joe! To illustrate: The Godfather (an real oldie) scores 9/10 and ranks number 1 on the Top 250 list. Really, there's no living consensus that Titanic is a great movie. And that "fact" is in complete harmony with the thoughts I had when I first saw this movie. If you want a solid good Cameron movie then watch The Terminator or The Terminator II.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Outside of looking up actors/films and filmographys, I never trust IMDB

Max

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trust? People can vote. It means it can be an indication. Compared to other indications, I'd say IMDB comes up with familiar results. The trick is to combine as many lists, as many indications, popular and critical, as possible. There's no absolute truth, of course. It's movies! It's an opinion. It's subjective. It's subjective until I give my verdict ROTFLMAO .

----------------

Alex Cremers

Of course IMDB also gives 9 stars for all 3 LOTR films, which you dispise....

But no one expects Alex Cremers to be consistant in his opinions.

That score will fade soon, my good friend Stefancos. Yes, today the LOTR films are extremely popular amongst the people but let's see how well it scores in 10 years from now.

BTW, I don't despise LOTR. I simply don't care about it.

I'm very consistent and I never tell a lie.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, LOTR has been consistantly popular for half a century, it is a franschise that will not fade away in a few years, especially since he films have ensured that millions of people have been introduced to Tolkien's Middle Earth.

The films are part of a greater entity, like Star Trek or Star Wars, that entity will endure.

Alfie. What a totaly unnecessary movie. Uninteresting, unengaging.

Star Wars- Episode IV: A New Hope. Great movie. I just this time kind of understood what an amazing breath of fresh air this score must have been in 1977.

Minority Report 10/10 4 out of 4 , in other words perfect.

Something in the movie got me thinking. I think pre-crime is wrong. The people that Anderton arrest aren't killers because they haven't commited a crime. Consider the falling ball reference Aderton uses in the movie. He asks Whitwert (sp?) why he caught the ball, Whitwert replies saying that it was going to fall, Anderton's point is that everything in the universe points to that ball falling. I don't dispute that, however why should you clean the ball of any scratch marks when it hasn't fallen and become scratched. So why then arrest people who have yet to commit a crime. That is irrational.

Yes, that's an interesting question, and exactly the one the movie tries to raise.

I wouldn't call it perfect, though. IMO, it went on for too long, and the ending is too happy-pappy for an otherwise somewhat dark film.

I think it's a brilliant film, one of the most perfect since Raiders. I don't think the ending is tacked on - it still witnesses the profound loss of the couple in the pregnancy, and correlates with the new life given to the pre-Cogs.

I watched John Singleton's Shaft. I've always enjoyed this movie and just pulled it off the shelf since nothing else was inspiring me. The acting in this one is a notch above the typical summer police films and the story is a fun one. The ending goes on much too long (it needs to end with the woman taking off her sunglasses and cut to black on Shaft's reaction) but I won't let that ruin my enjoyment.

Neil

The Village 6/10. I like the forest scenes.

8O

I also saw Minority Report again, and was again struck by how amazing the movie is. The last couple of shots are bad, in particular the shot of the precogs with hair is cringe inducing. Fantastic score. JW in his element. Steve and John take a step back from their regular fanfare and show Hollywood how it's done.

8O

Is 6 too much? Perhaps you're right. I thought the forest was creepy. Creepier than that Blair Witch nonsense.

----------------

Alex Cremers

What shocks me is that in this award season, no one is talking about Ron Howard's daughters performance in the Village, like the movie or not, her performance is stunning. She will be a force in the future if she continues to perform at that level.

I watched John Singleton's Shaft. I've always enjoyed this movie and just pulled it off the shelf since nothing else was inspiring me. The acting in this one is a notch above the typical summer police films and the story is a fun one. The ending goes on much too long (it needs to end with the woman taking off her sunglasses and cut to black on Shaft's reaction) but I won't let that ruin my enjoyment.

What I like about that movie is (surprise, surprise) Arnold's score. I think he actually wrote it in a very short amount of time.

What shocks me is that in this award season, no one is talking about Ron Howard's daughters performance in the Village, like the movie or not, her performance is stunning.  She will be a force in the future if she continues to perform at that level.

I didn't think she was particulaly great in it. But we've disagreed about female acctresses before....

I also agree with what's been said about MR. I didnt like it that much when I first saw it but I've consistenly liked it a lot more with each viewing and I love the Pre-Crime motif, such great stuff.

watching JFK again.

The first time I saw this movie was on DirecTV, to which afterwards I immediately purchased two books on the conspiracy and read everything I could about it.

It's still a great movie to me even if a lot of the facts are wrong, great performances and the score is fine as well

What shocks me is that in this award season, no one is talking about Ron Howard's daughters performance in the Village, like the movie or not, her performance is stunning. She will be a force in the future if she continues to perform at that level.

Joe, I completely agree. You put it best: her performance was simply stunning. She really elevates the film, and if she doesn't get at least nominated it'll be an Oscar travesty (though I wouldn't be surprised, knowing the Oscars).

Ray Barnsbury

Joe, I completely agree. You put it best: her performance was simply stunning. She really elevates the film, and if she doesn't get at least nominated it'll be an Oscar travesty (though I wouldn't be surprised, knowing the Oscars).

Ray Barnsbury

I thought she was adequate, sure, but no performance in The Village earns a nomination. Nor will any actor get one.

Split.jpg

That's misleading, Your Honor. It should say "before" and "after" restoration. Now it's presented to us as if Star Wars already looked bad and unfocussed in 1977, which is simply untrue. It is on these grounds that I demand the photo to be stricken from this thread!

----------------

Alex Cremers

Ray Barnsbury

I thought she was adequate, sure, but no performance in The Village earns a nomination. Nor will any actor get one.

I agree. JNH and Roger Deakins are the only people to come out of that film smelling like roses.

It's not 'like the movie or not'- the only people I've seen who've loved Howard in The Village were people who liked the movie.

Fantastic Four trailer is out at www.quicktime.com

Looks moderately better than I thought, especially the Thing but I'm still....meh

Max

Ray Barnsbury

I agree. JNH and Roger Deakins are the only people to come out of that film smelling like roses.

It's not 'like the movie or not'- the only people I've seen who've loved Howard in The Village were people who liked the movie.

I strongly agree with Joe and Ray. I saw The Village three times in the theater, and though I did like the film, I thought Bryce Dallas Howard was, to quote many, simply stunning. I watched the movie on DVD on Friday and I still can't get over it: she's amazing. For a breakout role as a blind girl, you would expect someone less then medicore, but she gives one of the greatest performances I've ever seen in a film. She should win Best Actress, but, like Ray said, you know the Oscars.

~Sturgis

Yeah, they don't like giving out oscars to performances they don't think are great. You liked the movie, you liked the performance. I didn't, I didn't.

:angry:

Is 6 too much? Perhaps you're right. I thought the forest was creepy. Creepier than that Blair Witch nonsense.

SPOILERS

I would give The Village a 9/10, especially because of Bryce's performance. And, yeah, it was weird that I was scared in the woods part. Even after Ivy's father says the monsters aren't real, I was really terrified. I thought either the monster was an insane elder or it was real and they got the costumes right on. (The fact that the elders created the monsters was somewhat obvious, given the track title It Is Not Real.) But when it ran at her, I was really scared. Almost as much as in the Brazilian video in Signs.

~Sturgis

She should win Best Actress, but, like Ray said, you know the Oscars.

Oscar? She wasn't even nominated for a Golden Globe. Listen guys, you are all exaggerating (except Morlock). Her part simply wasn't interesting enough to nominate her for some kind of award. None of the characters in The Village were developed deeply enough (not by a long shot). They were nothing but pawns in yet another unlikely (not realistic, hard to swallow) Shyamalan movie. His screenplay is an overlong Twilight Zone episode. It's not Bryce her fault. She did what she could. The film isn't giving here or the other actors enough to work with. It makes me wonder though. Do you guys ever go to see movies other than Spiderman II, Potter, Star Wars, Shymalyan, etcetera?

----------------

Alex Cremers

She should win Best Actress, but, like Ray said, you know the Oscars.

Oscar? She wasn't even nominated for a Golden Globe. Listen guys, you are all exaggerating (except Morlock). Her part simply wasn't interesting enough to nominate her for some kind of award. None of the characters in The Village were developed deeply enough (not by a long shot). They were nothing but pawns in yet another unlikely (not realistic, hard to swallow) Shyamalan movie. His screenplay is an overlong Twilight Zone episode. It's not Bryce her fault. She did what she could. The film isn't giving here or the other actors enough to work with. It makes me wonder though. Do you guys even go to see other movies other than Spiderman II, Potter, Star Wars, Shymalyan, etcetera?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Using your train of though then how did Francis McDormad win best actress for a characature performance, shorter than many supporting roles for the uber awful Fargo.

also Alex, the golden globe isn't a barometer for the oscars. otherwise Madonna might have an Oscar, and so would Jim Carrey :angry:

everything, its a coen brothers film, what other excuse do I need.

personally I'd rather watch a test signal.

ok I admit I like the wood chipper scene, but you got to admit the would be a fun way to off someone, not that I've ever done it :roll:

Of course they nominated Frances McDormand for her part in Fargo. That role "made" her.

As for the Golden Globes, you're free to change the name "Golden Globes" and fill in the movie award of your choice. My point is that good performances get noticed and recognized well before the Academy hands out her nominations. The performances of Bryce & Co are nowhere recognized as being award material. Knowing that there's no "award buzz" and that the film is a huge critical failure, it would be very stange for the Academy to suddenly, out of the blue, nominate Bryce for best actress. I's not in the stars. Her part is simply not strong enough.

----------------

Alex Cremers

everything, its a coen brothers film, what other excuse do I need.

You are a strange man.

Morlock- who, until, today, has not met a man to whom 'Coen Bros' is synonymous with something negative, and totaly disagrees about Fargo.

Morlock 2- who will again, just to seem contrary, state that Howard did an adequate job, nothing more

Good performances get noticed and recognized well before the Academy hands out her nominations. Knowing that there's no "award buzz" and that the film is a huge critical failure, it would be very stange for the Academy to suddenly, out of the blue, nominate Bryce for best actress. It's not in the stars. Her part is simply not strong enough.
The performances of Bryce & Co are nowhere recognized as being award material.

Except by several people in this thread.

I'm not saying I think she will get an Oscar, or that the character M. Night Shyamalan created deserves one (although it is a wonderful character). That's why I said "you know the Oscars". What I'm saying is she deserves one, whether the Academy thinks so or not. I have never, and will never, base my opinions on

"award buzz"

or the fact that a movie was a

huge critical failure

Bryce Dallas Howard did an extraordinary job, especially considering it was her breakout role as a blind girl.

~Sturgis

It makes you wonder what joe thinks of The Big Lebowski?

never saw it, don't even want to see it, haven't a clue to what its about. Don't like Raising Arizona, or blood simple, and I am not sure I could name any others.

Joe, who must admit he bought a used copy of the Nemesis dvd for 4.99, and gave it another chance. Its still not a good movie, but it plays so much better on tv than it does on the big screen.

I now view it as a middle of the road NG episode. I still like the same things I liked about it before. Stewart is wonderful as always, and that last shot of the Enterprise in dry dock is fantastic.

The performances of Bryce & Co are nowhere recognized as being award material.

Except by several people in this thread.

Yes, I noticed.

Anyway, yesterday I watched my DVD of Raging Bull. Robert De Niro (This has to be one of the best performances by any actor ever) & Co are so terrific, everything in this movie is. Yep, this is an undeniable masterpiece.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Joe, who must admit he bought a used copy of the Nemesis dvd for 4.99, and gave it another chance.  Its still not a good movie, but it plays so much better on tv than it does on the big screen.

I now view it as a middle of the road NG episode.  I still like the same things I liked about it before.  Stewart is wonderful as always, and that last shot of the Enterprise in dry dock is fantastic.

In the cinema and an TV it played like a very good TNG 2-parter for me.

And I consider that a very good thing since most TNG 2-parters were rather dissapointing.