The Lord of the Rings Symphony - Antwerps Sportpaleis - Antwerp Belgium - April 16 2004

Stefancos- who still has not recieved his ticket for this concert

This is normal. The organisation, in this case the Filmfestival van Vlaanderen, must sent first the tickets to the Sportpaleisorganisation and then they can sent it to the visitors.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was wondering, the guys who are going to Antwerpen friday (like me), are you planning to ask Shore for autographs or something? Or just the concert?

When I saw this topic resurrected, I was just about to ask any tips for getting autographs. So... any tips? I mean, if there's a way to get an autograph, why not?

- Marc, who will be there. :)

Info about this concert is a bit scant so far.

No word if there will be any possibility to get anything signed.

Would be hard to get him to give an autograph during the concert itself, when he enters or exits the stage.

Anyone here found any site with some extensive info, besides www.sportpaleis.be?

Also, for those living in Belgium.

Is there any site were I can find out what time the busses will go after the concert?

The concert ends at about 22:50, and I gotta be at Antwerpen central station at 23:20 or i'm screwed.

There should be a premetro any 15 minutes!

Eeh, here's a link naar de busboekjes:

Je moet in ieder geval lijn 3 hebben, het metrostation ligt vlak bij het Sportpaleis.

http://www.delijn.be/infopdf/pdfcalendar.a...jndrecht&film=3

Of een directe link naar het pdf bestand, als dat wil werken tenminste:

http://www.delijn.be/infopdf/pdf/antw/STAD.../1003010703.pdf

The concert ends at about 22:50, and I gotta be at Antwerpen central station at 23:20 or i'm screwed.

That'll be a pretty close call!

Anyhow, nobody knows anything about autographs or things like that, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Cheers!

Just returned from the concert.

The music was awesome, the Sportpaleis however is hopelessly inadequate for this kind of concert.

Still it was worth the 9 hours of traveling I did today, because i heard the extended Edition version of Amon Hen and The Ring Goes South.

Sissel was great, but that kid who did the solo for The Bridge Of Khazad Dum should be garroted.

Fotr ran for about 45 minutes, TTT for about 28, ROTK the same i think.

Much to short.

BRING ME THE 9 HOUR LOTR SUITE!!!

BTW, was I the only Dutchie here running his ass of from the Metro stration to spoor 4 on Antwerpen CD to catch that train to Rotterdam?

Stefancos- who is tired as hell, and will elaborate on this concert after a good nights (days) sleep.

I'm really excited!!! It's only a few hours away. ;)

Audax - Who has great seats :)

Off to the dominatrix again. She's such a tease

that time you told her, beat me, beat,

and she said no.

Oh the delicious pain of denial

I'm going now....

I have things to do...

I've kept this of for far to long...

I bid you all a very fond farewell....

BYE!

Are you going to the bathroom now? Hope everything comes out ok. ;)

Yes, the chorus tended to be drowned by the orchestra a bit.

Does anyone have a vid cap of that news item? Was it on VRT or Canvas? Or on another channel?

LOL

I loved hearing the extended version of The Ring Goes South. That first rendition of the Fellowship Theme gave me goosebumps. Then, I was delighted to hear that wonderful music from the EE. When that awesome big rendition of the Fellowship Theme kicked in, I had to restrain myself from jumping up. ;)

And yes, the Sportpaleis seemed poorly acquipped (sp?) for this kind of event. It rocked either way.

And it was great how the building actually literally shook during the applause.

- Marc, who noticed seats closer to the stage were a lot better filled after the intermission...

\ said:
LOL

I loved hearing the extended version of The Ring Goes South. That first rendition of the Fellowship Theme gave me goosebumps. Then' date=' I was delighted to hear that wonderful music from the EE. When that awesome big rendition of the Fellowship Theme kicked in, I had to restrain myself from jumping up. ;)

Same here, that was great.

Also loved the fact that they played Minas Tirith, even though it was not mentioned in the program.

It was a pity though that Shore cut of the truimphant Fellowship theme from The Bridge Of Khazad Dum, it builds to it, but then kinda fades out.

And yes, the Sportpaleis seemed poorly acquipped (sp?) for this kind of event. It rocked either way.

Were were you seated?

For me it was a serious drawback and kinda put a damper on my evening.

I was seated very far from the stage, high up somewere.

So i had a poor view of the orchestra (That speck in the front...is that howard Shore?)

To make matters worse, since the building was definatly not suited for an "unplugged" concert they had the whole performance fed through speakers.

While this assures that everyone can actually hear the music, it almost destroys the very reason to attend a life performance.

To top that the people why were doing the soundmix screwed up several times, the worst being when the boy soprano starts singing the in Bridge Of Khazad Dum, the microphone was up so loud that it send an earshattering noise though the speaker system (is it me, or was that boy out of tune?)

Also the hall itself was noisy and invites you to make noise.

real concert halls have a sort of ambiance about them that makes you talk in a silent whisper even when the orchestra is not on the stage yet.

The Sportpaleis is a bare, concrete bowl with metal folding seats that makes a hell of a noise when anyone is standing up

Despite all this (since i knew the conditions were gonna be far from perfect), I enjoyed it very much, and I hope i'll have a change to hear this concert again someday performed in a suitable concert hall (Concertgebouw in Amsterdam anyone???), and with a better travel schedule so I don't have to sit in fear because the concert is running late by about ten minutes and last train will not wait for me.

BTW Renovia, Howard Shore conducted without baton!

And it was great how the building actually literally shook during the applause.

I coulkd not stay till the applause was over, i stayed for one minute and then got the hell outta there for the nearest exit.

- Marc, who noticed seats closer to the stage were a lot better filled after the intermission...

People probably wanted to here the orchestra live instead of through giganctic Bose speakers.

Stefancos- who thinks his MD recordings of the concert sound roughly the same as what he heard during the actual performance.

LOL

I loved hearing the extended version of The Ring Goes South. That first rendition of the Fellowship Theme gave me goosebumps. Then, I was delighted to hear that wonderful music from the EE. When that awesome big rendition of the Fellowship Theme kicked in, I had to restrain myself from jumping up. ;)

Same here, that was great.

Also loved the fact that they played Minas Tirith, even though it was not mentioned in the program.

It was a pity though that Shore cut of the truimphant Fellowship theme from The Bridge Of Khazad Dum, it builds to it, but then kinda fades out.

Yeah, I was expecting that to shake the room big time, but unfortunately, no go.

Were were you seated?

Blok 240, rij 1, stoel 2.

To make matters worse, since the building was definatly not suited for an "unplugged" concert they had the whole performance fed through speakers.

That's what I meant. Pity.

- Marc

oh my, i wish i lived with you so i could have gone. i can't even describe what it made me feel like to know he conducted without a baton...

sweet jesus. . .

that's awesome.. ..

Stefancos- who thinks his MD recordings of the concert sound roughly the same as what he heard during the actual performance.

You don't happen to have enough webspace to upload it? ;)

I wrote myself a comment a few hours or so to post here, but then my PC couldn't find the server anymore... Blast!

Anyway, it was great! In my opinion, highlights were: the extended Prophecy, The Great River, The Breaking of the Fellowship, Foundations of Stone, Gollum's Song, Isengard Unleashed, Hope and Memory, and most definitely: The End of All Things, with a nice cut from the previous cue - I thought Shore really mixed that well.

Some cues I missed: the 2nd part of Foundations of Stone, The Leave Taking, Shelob's Lair and A Storm Is Coming. But the unreleased cues made up for it though - Caradhras was very nice indeed.

;)

I thought the acoustics were quite all right, I expected far worse, having been to Night of the Proms a couple of years ago. Sometimes the sound was a bit muddled, but in my opinion it suits the music, much like there is some kind of a 'wet sound' on the soundtracks. Moreover, many cues draw strenghth from the vagueness characteristic for Shore.

One thing that was done rather poorly, was the projection. I couldn't see anything, it wasn't sharp enough. (I was seated in block 223; where were you seated Stefancos?). Furthermore, we never saw Shore in close-up (which would have been welcome since he was a little dot for me too), only from the sides. I was looking to see if he had a baton, and I only saw he didn't in the second half.

By the way:

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_master/...hore/index.html

Oh, and I missed this: http://www.fnac.be/vlaams/accueil/lord.htm

(***********...)

(Blast.)

Regards!

Lotman

Caradhras

The extended Ring Goes South. At least, I think that was the Caradhras sequence...

Lotman, whose ass was sleeping in the break as well.

I sat right behind the people who controlled the sound and projections and it was really fun to see them panic when they did something wrong ;). And even though I feel like I've broken my back thanks to the seats and the person behind me spilled beer over me, I had a great time!

Audax - who thinks it's a pity that they let that boy do In Dreams :?

I saw the news item on the VRT on the one o'clock news this afternoon. There weren't any crowd shots, just two interviews with viewers, which I think were made during the intermission.

- Marc

I sat right behind the people who controlled the sound and projections and it was really fun to see them panic when they did something wrong ;).

That must have ben a lot, did they even know the music?

Audax - who thinks it's a pity that they let that boy do In Dreams  :?

I wonder if his testikels were dropping somewere between 20:55 and 21:25.