2012: JWs next dry year?

MrScratch

Williams put out no new film scores in the years 1985, 1994 and now 2003. Every nine years... does that mean his next dry year will be 2012?

Jeff

:angry: Dueling the Basilisk (COS)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, statistically, Williams should be well retired if not dead by that time. Things happen when one reaches that age, and while it certainly would not be a shock if he was still alive at that time, it would be a shock if he wasn't retired by then.

Yeah, statistically, Williams should be well retired if not dead by that time. Things happen when one reaches that age, and while it certainly would not be a shock if he was still alive at that time, it would be a shock if he wasn't retired by then.

No, statistically the average age a healthy man of age 71 will reach is about 12 years, so it could well be possible. JW retiring? I don't think so.

He wrote the scores to Family Plot, The Missouri Breaks and Midway.

http://www.jwfan.net/modules.php?op=modloa...artid=37&page=1

Pay attention, Hector. Information is not always far away. :angry::)

- Marc, beerchug

Yeah, statistically, Williams should be well retired if not dead by that time.

My god that sounds just like Mr Spocks tone :angry:

Spock : "Logically therefore one must assume......."

Lord Garth : "SILENCE!!!!"

Actually MSM, your statement would be more credible if we knew the standard deviation of those statistics. I think that my statement would fall within the standard deviation of your data. 80 is a very old age for anyone, and what I was really saying was that the probability of death above 80 dramatically increases. Also, you missed that my statement was an OR statement, so I guess you assumed his retirement to be false data. While we may like to believe that he won't retire, it would not suprise me if he did. Composers in general write until their death, but film music is much more strenouous and stressful (even if just because of deadlines). Therefore I feel that he won't write until his death, unless his death is a sudden onset (cardiac, accident, etc.) vs. a gradual onset (old age, cancer, etc.).

Everything must pass.

>Does that mean his next dry year will be 2012?

Remember that according to the decoded Mayan calendar, Dec 2-2012 is supposed to be the end of this current age. Nobody knows if that is going to end with a cataclysmic catastrophe, or a spiritual re-awakening of humanity. So JW may be too busy either running away from earthquakes, or undergoing a divine revelation to score a new movie. I for one am awaiting Dec 2 2012 to see what happens after breakfast.

Yeah, according to an interview with Johnny his mother has to be 94 now. Well how shall I say..I know that someone would start a discussion about Mr. Williams' death inthis "dry year". But as JW always says:

"....and I`m in a very good mental shape!..."

and look at David Raksin, he`s now 91 and worked until 1999.

or Elmer Bernstein he`s 81 and is still in buissines and even was nominated for an Oscar this year.

Raksin 1912

Bernstein 1922

Williams 1932

.....????

Remember, John Williams did retire from filmscoring already (in '93) but came back more productively than we could have possibly imagined.

He could retire again from music for movies (say after Episode III and Indy IV) but he'll never retire from music.

Schindler's List was, of course, if you want to end in style, the ultimate last project. Dunno about Indy IV. Who wants to end his career by doing yet another sequel?

-----------------

Alex Cremers

Dammit he'll still be scoring by then!!!!

MARK MY WORDS!!!!!

I don't care if I gotta get a friggin Ouji board and friggin ask his soul for the notes to the compositions!!!!

I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN!!! :)

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, according to an interview with Johnny his mother has to be 94 now. Well how shall I say..I know that someone would start a discussion about Mr. Williams' death inthis "dry year". But as JW always says:

"....and I`m in a very good mental shape!..."

and look at David Raksin, he`s now 91 and worked until 1999.

or Elmer Bernstein he`s 81 and is still in buissines and even was nominated for an Oscar this year.

Raksin 1912

Bernstein 1922

Williams 1932

.....????

Jerry Goldsmith 1929!!!!!

:eek: Herrmann Prelude from Vertigo

Los Angeles Philharmonic

Esa-Pekka Salonen

Well, in 1985 Williams scored those episodes of TV's 'Amazing Stories', didn't he? At least that what I remember and it's listed in the Varese recording as being 1985, so the 9-year argument is a moot point.

Williams retired from the Boston Pops in 93 to concentrate on film music,as I remember reading then.

K.M.

That is not true, Mark. He retired from scoring films. He would only make an exception for Mr Lucas and Mr Spielberg if they should ask him to. He retired so he could concentrate more on playing golf (I believe it was) and writing concertos.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex North was still a busy composer at that age. I expect Williams to keep pretty busy at least up to 2012! He's a healthy person.