Azkaban trailer has arrived (music sound Williams for me...)

Bart

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to quickly put in here that I love the trailer. and the few camera angles we saw were really cool

the choir is amazing. I HAVE to do it with my kids next year. I believe it's a take off of the Nimbus theme.

The camera angles are very different from the previous movies no doubt going with the new director. When I was first watching it though, the trailer felt so different. Anybody else feel that?

The camera angles are very different from the previous movies no doubt going with the new director.    When I was first watching it though, the trailer felt so different. Anybody else feel that?

Definitely, and I am sure that this is because of the change of directors. I am very glad that Alfonso Cuaron decided to stick with Williams, because Williams's music has become the heart and soul of the Harry Potter movies.

I am very glad that Alfonso Cuaron decided to stick with Williams, because Williams's music has become the heart and soul of the Harry Potter movies.

Cuaron had no choice or say in the matter. He was a hired gun, the decision on the music was made by higher ups.

Boom mics can be spotted in a TON of movies. Film flubs like that are a really common thing. Most directors see them and just go "F$%^ IT!" because they know the audience will never notice them. Unless of course the movie is so boring the audience attention span wanders off in which case the movie is already screwed.

yes but with CGI, there will be no mikes in the actual film.

Yeah I guess that is why you see less of it now.

Still ..... you can still spot them every now and then. Guess the filmakers either didn't notice or didnt bother to take em out.

When the film is printed properly for theatrical exhibition the mic will be out of frame. In fact, I just watched the trailer at work, and the mic's not there.

Neil

What News site? Where does it state that this is indeed Williams and that he has started scoring POA?

I also thought the trailer felt very different from the first 2 movies, i think the fact that it has such a prominant Choral and Lyrical peice also shows difference. The first films had choral music, but not really lyrical and nothing really as focused on as this peice.

Another thing which i think looks different is the cinematography, which is much better in my opinion. I thought cinematography was very much overlooked in the first two films. This one seems to have much more scenery and a more epic, grand feel. Even though i loved the previous HP movies, I think this one looks much better.

Maybe Williams somehow knows of this board and the JWfans,then he felt bad because we had nothing to talk about,so he decided to compose one minute and a half of film music to tie us over till next year.

K.M. :)

Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, Peter Pettigrew, Sibyll Trelawney, Buckbeak the Hipogriff, Crookshanks, that silly knight from the painting (some bumbling motif or something would be fun, the Dementors (hell yeah!).

And some other new stuff: Hogsmeade, Azkaban, the Knight Bus, the Shrieking Shack, predicting the future...

I'm sure Williams could write great stuff for all of it.

Can't think of much more. Save perhaps Aunt Marge, but he'll probably use an existing motif (like the one in the first film, when Harry receives his first letter; "Who'd be writing to you?", etc.)

- Marc, looking forward to this score. Sigh... a long way to go still.

DAMN! That is ALOT of new stuff!

Williams surely wont be able to write themes for all of it.

BTW does that Dobby character from the last one return in this new movie?

He didn't really haver a fully developed theme in the last one. Sort of a motif really, but more developed.

Not in this one Ross. He will return in 4 and 5. And yes, Dobby had a full theme, ever listened to the CD Rogue?

Justin -Wondering, if Rogue consider's Dobby's theme to be a motif, what exactly does he consider to be a theme? :D

Another thing which i think looks different is the cinematography, which is much better in my opinion. I thought cinematography was very much overlooked in the first two films. This one seems to have much more scenery and a more epic, grand feel. Even though i loved the previous HP movies, I think this one looks much better.

I just hope the British feeling is still in the movie. Comparing the Hogwarts Express sequence from CoS with the one in this trailer, I like the former better since that one looked more like England to me. I wonder if the scenery scenes in PoA and the trailer actually have been shot in England.

Regarding to the song, has anyone noticed the resemblance with Carol of the Bells?

MSM - who still regrets the fact that the students don't wear their Hogwarts uniforms in all scenes.

predicting the future...

I hope he does something like the opening sequence of Family Plot with a lofty etheral chorus and stuff.Better yet,maybe he should just re-record that exact same music,since i've always really wanted it and were not getting it on c.d. anytime soon.

I think the cat Crookshanks will have a theme for sure,or Ron's rat.Williams usually writes themes for those type of creatures.

K.M.

Well, they didn't filmed as much on location as the two previous films.

I assume they had a lot of footage from the last films, so that would save them some money.

But whole the film was shot in England, or in studios, or in location. (Such as the Glencoe Viaduct that you can see in the trailer, where the train is standing still)

How could the music in the trailer be Williams? He hasn't started scoring this has he?

It's entirely likely that Williams wrote this source cue while the film was in production. That sort of thing is very common.

Neil

Maybe I'm missing something- but this doesn't seem that hard to understand. No, they're not going to go to all the trouble to record a fully costumed musical number just for a trailer, the song is in the film somewhere (if nothing else in a deleted scene).

That being the case, the song would be one part of the score that is on an earlier schedule than the rest of the score so that a children's choir could record it, and then the actors synchronize a performance along with the recording. They're not going to bring everybody back 6 months later, redo the sets etc. just to film one scene.

I just hope the British feeling is still in the movie. Comparing the Hogwarts Express sequence from CoS with the one in this trailer, I like the former better since that one looked more like England to me. I wonder if the scenery scenes in PoA and the trailer actually have been shot in England.

MSM - who still regrets the fact that the students don't wear their Hogwarts uniforms in all scenes.

To confirm what Bart said, it's true that the films were entirely shot in the United Kingdom. That was one of Rowling's stipulations when she sold the movie rights, I believe, along with the fact that all actors must be British.

Yeah the non-robes thing pisses me off, although in some scenes in the book the students are wearing Muggle clothing. I'm pretty sure that the finale of Book 3 is one of these.

That being the case, the song would be one part of the score that is on an earlier schedule than the rest of the score so that a children's choir could record it, and then the actors synchronize a performance along with the recording. They're not going to bring everybody back 6 months later, redo the sets etc. just to film one scene.

well,if it's a song that's in the movie,then we should have a longer version of it on the c.d.,but probably not the same recording,like the music on the PS teaser is different from the c.d.(which i figure was recorded at a different time from the rest of the score)

K.M.

Comparing the Hogwarts Express sequence from CoS with the one in this trailer, I like the former better since that one looked more like England to me.

I dunno, the train on that bridge looked exactly the same to me as the train/bridge/car sequence in COS?

Marian - :?

The bridge looks the same to me,and it doesnt matter much if it`s different either(though if this was Star Wars there would be a mass hysteria about this)

K.M.Watching E.T.the Extra-Terrestrial on T.V. in french.

The trailer music is very Elfmanish, but it suits it so perfectly. It reminds me of Elfman's work on Spy Kids (when he did that floop song) and Nightmare Before Christmas.

I like the involvement of a childrens choir in the trailer music, and hope for more of that in the film's score.

I want to hear more choir involvement, but this time I'd like him to write some lyrics for the choir in Sanskrit or maybe Latin, since majority of the spells that are cast are in Latin.

Not in this one Ross. He will return in 4 and 5. And yes, Dobby had a full theme, ever listened to the CD Rogue?

Justin -Wondering, if Rogue consider's Dobby's theme to be a motif, what exactly does he consider to be a theme? :D

Yeah OK your right. I went back and relistened to the CD again and he definately has a theme.

I guess it just never stood out that much in soundtrack because the Fawkes theme was used so much more and stood out alot more.

To confirm what Bart said, it's true that the films were entirely shot in the United Kingdom. That was one of Rowling's stipulations when she sold the movie rights, I believe, along with the fact that all actors must be British.

Did she really demand that? Hmmmmm wasup with that? The woman got something against actors from other countries or something?

No, the woman guards with every power that she has to keep the British sphere from the books in the movies.

I think the train scene is the same except this train is haulted.

I hacen't noticed a resemblance to the Carol of the Bells.

I wonder if they used students from the set that could sing, or brought in the London Voices (Children's Choir) or something.

:P

Hi! Haven't been here before, yet reading all your comments forced me to join. I love what everyone is saying about this film and the score.

Since seeing and hearing the trailer 3 days ago, I have not stopped humming it. Considering I love all the books and movies about Harry Potter, I feel this one is going to be exceptionally good. The music is enticing and wonderfully ominous.

To answer someones question about why ice on the trains windows...it's because the Dementors bring with them a severe coldness, so I thought the iced windows was a brillant feel.

And Joel.....your suggestion of how to incorporate the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" choir with the scene of Sirius Black slashing The Fat Lady's painting was brillant!! Could you ask Warner Bros. to do that? :P

Wouldn't we love to have that power?

Would you want High Noon turned into a Robin Hood era story? :P

Hey! Hey! Hey!

I was merely reffering to actors. All I am saying is if an American actor can do just as good a job as a British actor I dont see what the big deal is.

I guess it is a bit extreme then, I dunno, I guess with British actors you're sure to get it to be British. :P

Yeah but does that mean that British actors cannot play Americans?

Because you have to be sure you get it to be American?

Generally British actors are more convincing playing British characters then Americans playing British characters.

Also, Great Britain has somany wonderfull actors that there really is no need to use American actors.

Stefancos- who thinks so far the casting for these films has been flawless.

I think the train scene is the same except this train is haulted.

I haven't noticed a resemblance to the Carol of the Bells.

I wonder if they used students from the set that could sing, or brought in the London Voices (Children's Choir) or something.

I actually meant the scenery, it looks some cold place in Rumania or so. :P But now I know the bridge is in England (thanks Bart).

There is a Williams arrangement of Carol of the Bells on one of his Christmas albums I think (I have an mp3 of it), recorded by the Boston Pops. The song is very alike, even the theme is almost the same.

I guess the choir is the New London Children's Choir which was also used for TPM.

Stefancos- who thinks so far the casting for these films has been flawless

I agree fully! The casting has been sublime up to now.