Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I did it. I sucessfully avoided all comments about the score until after hearing it myself. Initial thoughts:

I knew imediatly that most here were not going to like the score. It's true the score is completly diffrent. It seems to focus more on the emotion and suspense of the story as opposed to the magic. Which is perfect for this film. It gives it a more realistic feeling which I'm sure will be noted in the film. I can't wait to hear this score in the film. On album it's not as imediatly accessible as Williams three scores. Harry in Winter is by far my favorite cue folowed by Voldemort and Golden Egg. Much of the time in the Latter tracks I felt sorry for the most likely hyper ventilating brass section. Some wonderful fanfare's in the score.

Overall a score that will require additional listening. I also REALLY want to hear this in the film.

Justin

Oh my ...!

Why can't people who have absolutely zero knowledge about film music JUST shut the hell up? They review films and feel the need to write something about the score.

Just because you're allowed to have an own opinion doesn't mean that you HAVE to have one. If you have no clue, SHUT UP!

Oh my ...!  

Why can't people who have absolutely zero knowledge about film music JUST shut the hell up? They review films and feel the need to write something about the score.

Just because you're allowed to have an own opinion doesn't mean that you HAVE to have one. If you have no clue, SHUT UP!

Hey! It's Bill O'Reilly!

"Anyone who knows nothing about film scores needs to SHUT UP! ... and that's the memo."

Three years ago' date=' a rather dreadful movie came out.

~Sturgis[/quote']

No CoS came out just over a year ago.

No, it was 2.

*suddenly feels so dirty from that shameless Steef-rip*

Fall of '05 - Fall of '04 (1st year). Fall of '04 - Fall of '03 (2nd year). Fall of '03 - Fall of '02 (3rd year). Sturgis was quite right.

Tim

I personally feel that Chamber of Secrets is better then Philosopher's/Socerer's Stone. Like, a LOT better. Don't get me wrong, I like the first movie, but I don't understand the hostility that everyone on this board feels towards CoS.

Tim

It's a weak sequel, Radcliffe mouths others' lines, Fawkes looks bad at times, the dialogue and acting from the kids and even Harris and the other adults at times is horrible, and the middle hour of the film is b-o-r-i-n-g.

~Sturgis

Wow, I guess I watched a different film. I thought the acting, though limited in range, was much better then the first go. In the first film, the camera seemed to stay on the children way too long. After a line was delivered it seemed that the camera was still on them unnecessarily for an extra minute in silence. The story in the second was darker, and the film emulated that pretty good. I'm not saying your criticisms are way off, but I can say the same about first film. The second seemed to be at least one step forward.

Tim

IMO, and my O is H BTW :), SS had all of those things you said, and perhaps the acting didn't change in COS, but it didn't get better; the film was just executed poorly.

~Sturgis

Well, it doesn't really matter, because PoA sorted all of that stuff out ;)

Tim

Yes indeedio.

Composer_Fan, IMHO means "in my humble opinion" and IMO means "in my opinion;" I said IMO, and my O--opinion--is H--humble--BTW, "by the way."

Just felt like using a bunch of abbreviations. :P

~Sturgis

I see that there are two people who have been in all the Potter films to date, but barely recognized.

James and Lily Potter are played by the same people in all 4 films

I think the two actors were even uncredited in the first two films, so you wouldn't even have seen their names. That's kind of a shame. I'm one of those people that feel that you should be credited even if you have your scenes cut. If you're involved in the the making of the film, even if your stuff doesn't make the final cut, then you should have your name presented in the final credits.

Tim

Well, it doesn't really matter, because PoA sorted all of that stuff out :)

Tim

By being the worst.

How does it sort out the bad issues if it's WORSE?

Justin

I watched PoA again today.

It's probably better now than 18 months ago. Great film, brilliant score that fits every scene except Aunt Marge. There were several moments when I truly felt it had a connection with the HP world, something that rarely happens for the films. I got the feel of Hogwarts, of its warmness and homeliness for somereason while Harry and Sirius were looking up at the castle after the Shack scene. It was good.

Hopefully more of this with GoF! But I won't see it till at least the 6th of next month.

I have a question about IMAX:

I have not had a clear understanding of the displayed aspect ratio for some time now. Is the picture cropped? Or shrunk to fit the 4:3 screen?

It's "letterboxed" widescreen, in effect, but not shrunk as the screen is much much larger than normal movie screens.

I'm going to see the IMAX showing near me right now, actually, and I prefer it not so much for the larger screen, but for the 12,000 watts of wondrous digital surround-sound :mrgreen:

He also stated in the review about "the honest fact that Williams' themes are simply more vibrant and memorable than Doyle's"

beerchug

Though he only gave a two paragraph review on Memoirs of a Geisha, and only one of them had anything to do with the music. :?

Tim

Tim

By being the worst.

Justin

It's sorts out the problem of which HP movie sucks the most.

An exerpt from a review at Allmusic.com...

Darker, bolder, and a little less magical, Doyle doesn't reach the dizzying heights achieved by Williams on 2004's Prisoner of Azkaban, but he has managed to create some new and exciting themes that integrate themselves seamlessly into the Potter universe.

Perhaps there's hope out there...

^The above review was met with interesting pre-teen reactions over at Mugglenet...

NO HEDWIG'S THEME! absolutely ridiculous!!!!!!

:roll:

i really liked john williams' music a lot better than doyle. it just seemedmore magical and intricate. dolye's just sounds kinda like he is doing lord of the rings or something. im almost a little scared to go b/c i dont want it to be like ...oh ...its over ...now what do we do?

:music:

less than 8 hours! LESS THAN 8 HOURS!! yay, yay, yay!!

i can't wait... >dies<

nsl, mpsact, go imf, yay ea, yo hplo, mm cmlo, bgu, woot haha, squee fart, h/cm f!

:)

Tim

By being the worst.

Justin

It's sorts out the problem of which HP movie sucks the most.

Zing!

Justin

^The above review was met with interesting pre-teen reactions over at Mugglenet...
nsl, mpsact, go imf, yay ea, yo hplo, mm cmlo, bgu, woot haha, squee fart, h/cm f!

:|

Why does the phrase "squee fart" bother me so much? :?

Tim

Most boring End Credits I ever heard,but this should be a lesson for Williams albums.Give us more underscore and let us rip the End Credits from the DVD ourselves.

K.M.