Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

JoeinAR

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's only something I've heard about from others.

As have I, but I have experianced it with close friends or my young nephew.

Good times.

After hearing Patrick Doyle and the new composer Hooper which for me does sound promising over Patrick Doyle's score for GOF but still no where near as good as Williams goes make me think they need John Williams back...or now im starting to wonder they are just going to pick a random composer for each of the upcoming potter films since GOF...

I still not sure about Hooper score but I not going make my judgment on Hooper score just by hearing the sample clips but the entire score when I see the movie as well as the entire soundtrack...

John Williams has pretty much abandoned most of his themes by the time he did the third score.

Also, certain themes that worked brilliantly for the first film, won't automatically work for film 5, or 7.

Which I also wonder why didn't Doyle use the Voldemort Theme from the first movie for GOF when Voldemort return in the fourth one?

Considering I think that would of work well for the death scene at the end . But make the theme a little darker will do the trick but he didn't!!! Typical John Williams would of done it for sure...

But since Doyle is Doyle and Williams is Williams he didn't bothered. I mean theses composers have this advantage to use John William's themes in their score.

But since Doyle is Doyle and Williams is Williams he didn't bothered. I mean theses composers have this advantage to use John William's themes in their score.

That's how people on JWFAN.COM might see it, but not the rest of the world.

Remember what a mess JPIII was?

What a blissful moment it was when I realized that themes from previous films don't all have to be brought back for thematic continuity! I like that Hedwig's theme has been along for the entire ride (both Doyle and Hooper have done very interesting things with it, as well), but is it the end of the world that "A Window to the Past" won't be quoted in brief again? Azkaban is such a wonderfully self-contained score, the ideal sequel soundtrack. While it makes generous nods to the previous scores (the beginning of "Mischief Managed!" is the prime example of this), it stands entirely on its own feet. Hedwig's theme is the real "window to the past," but it isn't the heart of score. "Double Trouble," "A Window to the Past," and the rest are. When Harry says good-bye to Sirius, he also says good-bye to the music for what could have been, and it is all the sadder because we won't hear that beautiful melody again. Doyle has added his own take on the family, and while his score isn't as good as Azkaban, most would agree that the end of "Voldemort," as Harry sees the ghosts of his parents, is hardly bereft of musical emotion. Similarly, Hooper's "Loved Ones and Leaving" (judging by the samples) introduce the idea of not providing a theme for family at all, but the use of original music for the scene (and it's simple, but wonderful).

I'm just happy that Hooper is treading new ground.

After hearing Patrick Doyle and the new composer Hooper which for me does sound promising over Patrick Doyle's score for GOF but still no where near as good as Williams goes make me think they need John Williams back...or now im starting to wonder they are just going to pick a random composer for each of the upcoming potter films since GOF...

I could only understand the last sentence of that parragraph, but if by "random" you mean not John Williams, Doyle or Hooper. then yeah, it logically appears they are.

Of course, there's nothing random in the choice of a composer. What surprises me is how little a lot of people care about all the different directors, and then throw a tantrum because a composer is not forced to them.

-Ross, who thinks the Potter directors should just lose all fear of non-continuity and be bolder in showing off their very different styles. It's the Alfonso way!

Why is THIS score getting somekind of special treatment?

K.M.

Haven't you noticed that seems to be the norm now?

To release CDs in crappy "collector" edition boxes with worthless junk. Remember the dumb collectors cards that came with COS?

Why is THIS score getting somekind of special treatment?

K.M.

You wouldn't even ask that if this was a Williams score.

Well, that's the point, isn't it? It's not a Williams score destined to become iconic, as in the case of the first score...it's the fourth sequel's score by a relatively unknown composer.

Ray Barnsbury - who wonders what the heck makes the special edition special

Ray Barnsbury - who wonders what the heck makes the special edition special.

The fancy shmancy cover, apparently. Like Mark said, this is a trend now. I remember that Narnia one that at least included some footage from the recording sessions and interviews.

John- who will not be forking out for it

We all know it will be a "barely acceptable" score,elevated to "really good "my many just by the fact that were not getting anything else interesting this year and Potter mania will hit an all time high.

that crappy box won't fit in any shelf anyways

We don't know anything, since the score or film hasn't come out yet. I'm willing to give it the benifit of the doubt, why can't you?

Which I also wonder why didn't Doyle use the Voldemort Theme from the first movie for GOF when Voldemort return in the fourth one?

Why would he have to? It was his score

Considering I think that would of work well for the death scene at the end . But make the theme a little darker will do the trick but he didn't!!! Typical John Williams would of done it for sure...

That's a big assumption to make. How do you know Williams would have used any of his old themes if he'd scored GoF? He did, after all, throw continuity out the window with PoA and, as mentioned by others, this worked wonderfully.

It's not an advantage. If anything it's a curse; the pressure of creating an appropriate sound for the movie would have increased tenfold for Doyle and now Hooper, considering who came before them.

We all know it will be a "barely acceptable" score,elevated to "really good "my many just by the fact that were not getting anything else interesting this year and Potter mania will hit an all time high.

No Mark, YOU "know" that and will without a doubt not enjoy it one bit regardless of how it actually is. Everyone else here has been keeping an open mind about it. You set yourself up to dislike it a long time ago.

Ray Barnsbury

There will be a normal jewel case release so everyone relax.

Relax? What's the fun of being around here if there's nothing to hyperventilate about?

No Mark, YOU "know" that and will without a doubt not enjoy it one bit regardless of how it actually is. Everyone else here has been keeping an open mind about it. You set yourself up to dislike it a long time ago.

Ray Barnsbury

I'm taking the Neil approach on the SW prequels on this one.

So far I've been avoiding most OotP trailers and scene clips.I want to have something left to watch in theater.

K.M.

Funny that the comments for that review has this thing about going on about Williams Ross involvement in CoS. So what? All he did was conducted John Williams's score for CoS. I don't know what adaptions Williams Ross did other than conducting if it got something to do reusing old Williams themes from SS or orchestrations or arrangements or whatever but still John Williams composed the music for it...

Funny that the comments for that review has this thing about going on about Williams Ross involvement in CoS. So what? All he did was conducted John Williams's score for CoS. I don't know what adaptions Williams Ross did other than conducting if it got something to do reusing old Williams themes from SS or orchestrations or arrangements or whatever but still John Williams composed the music for it...

Actually that situation still isn't as clear, as much as everyone here would like to think. The most solid "evidence" we have is the score analysis, but that was slightly ambiguous to begin with.

I agree that reviews should take context into account. I understand the likes of Filmtracks review the music as a listening experience, but the very fact it's FILM music should mean taking the original context into some consideration. He does for some reviews (see LOTR), but neglects to with others (see all the HP scores).

Not that Clemmenson's or anyone else's opinion matters, but still...

There's only Helgii who claimed Ross composed cues that sound exactly like John Williams to the point JW couldn't tell who composed what.I say that bulls^it

Other composers that try to sound like JW is like Don Davis' JP3, some Joel Mc Neely cues in Shadows of the Empire ,Flipper or Young Indy and the Phantom Train of Doom,or some Michael Giacchino cues in MoH.They can mimic certain phrasings but you can easily tell it's not JW.CoS is also full of quotes of the other scores Williams composed in 2002,as if he was really on auto pilot and wrote cues in a hurry.CoS is a very specific JW sound in a set time frame.

Ofcourse Hellgi actually works for Williams Ross, so he could know these things, while you could not, because you are a dentist....in Kanadia.

I think Steef just outdid himself.   :lol:

Of course I imagine him saying all that in a drunken Dutch accent.

I don't think Don Davis was trying to sound like Williams in JP3. He adpated the themes for the film, some poorly, but his action music was definately his own and pretty damn good.

Why can't we accept that William Ross adapted music from the first film and Williams contributed roughly 45 minutes of new music and themes?