The Terminal and Harry Potter have come...and gone...

King Mark

It's all about the countdown to Ep. 3 now.

With all the top 10 lists that have been flying around lately, maybe we should do some official ones, like the Official Top 10 Scores from a couple of years ago. We could have another top 10 scores, top 10 cues, top 10 themes, worst 10 scores, and any other craziness we can think of. I know we've done most of these unofficially recently, but it would be cool to tally up resuslts and see what the consensus is.

As far as i know,it will be impossible to come to any consensus...which is why JW is such a great composer.He adapts to the movie not to people tastes.

As for the top 10 thingie...everyone is entitled to their opinion,tastes are not to be discussed,but i agree it can be fun to read about it

Richard

As far as i know,it will be impossible to come to any consensus...which is why JW is such a great composer.He adapts to the movie not to people tastes.

I didn't mean that everyone agrees. I don't think it could happen, or want it to happen. Just tally up the resuslts and see what ends up on top. I don't agree with all of the scores in the Official Top 10, but I accept the results as the consensus opinion of everyone that submitted a top 10 list.

Maybe something will pop up later this year. If not, let the countdown to GoF begin!

Episode III could pop up in May.

I mean, it's a possibility.

Well for you MV fans out there, King Arthur, The Bourne Supremacy, and Catwoman are coming up quickly. James Newton Howard's The Village is right around the bend, as well. Later on, if you liked Day After Tomorrow, Kloser has another offering: Alien vs Predator. Also, of some note is William Ross' first feature since CoS, a firemen movie called Ladder 49 due out in October.

I meant something we don't know about. And for me, Episode III is a (hopefully) pleasant stop along the way in the wait for GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

Yes, and since it's bound they will employ the London Symphony Orchestra for the recording of the score, I suggest that the ensemble aborts recording for James Horner. The sound of the ensemble has become Hornerish even on their non-scores material, and it's a dreadful finding.

They need the time to get a grip on themselves and realize they're gonna work on Star Wars again.

I won't conceal LSO used to be my favorite orchestra years way back when I was picking up recordings of classical music. In recent years, I've been associating them solely with film music, and James Horner respectively. No wonder Howard Shore employed London Philharmonic.

But back on subject... ;)

I meant something we don't know about. And for me, Episode III is a (hopefully) pleasant stop along the way in the wait for GoF.

Ray Barnsbury

What a boring, blind, fanatical, musically narrow-minded thing to say, Ray! For the record, I'll repeat your line here:

And for me, Episode III is a (hopefully) pleasant stop along the way in the wait for GoF. - Ray Barnsbury

With all these projects still lying ahead, is that all you see in John Williams? Is the Potter all you breathe?

----------------

Alex Cremers

Apparently they have come and gone at the box office as well.

POA may not even reach COS's box office and The Terminal may be Spielberg's lowest grossing film in quite awhile.

However there is more to film music than John Williams so I really don't think I'll have too much of a problem waiting for Episode III.

Ray Barnsbury

What a boring, blind, fanatical, musically narrow-minded thing to say, Ray! For the record, I'll repeat your line here:

And for me, Episode III is a (hopefully) pleasant stop along the way in the wait for GoF. - Ray Barnsbury

With all these projects still lying ahead, is that all you see in John Williams? Is the Potter all you breathe?

----------------

Alex Cremers

It's boring, blind, fanatical, and musically narrow-minded to look forward to one future score more than another??? 8O I like the Potter scores more than the prequel scores, so why shouldn't I anticipate GoF more eagerly than Ep III? But I'm looking forward to Ep III as well, and maybe my above post, which was an intended exaggeration, didn't convey that. And I'm not sure what you mean by "all these projects", since these two are the only confirmed, set-in-stone JW projects that I know of.

Oh, an apparently this:

Episode 3 is The End of All Things John Williams as far as I'm concerned

which is an even stronger statement than mine, doesn't fall under "boring, blind, fanatical, and musically narrow-minded" because it's not signed "Ray Barnsbury."

Ray Barnsbury

What about Spielberg's olympics film, no one has mentioned that score.

No project that has Spielberg's name attached to it is set-in-stone. I try not to look forward to any Spielberg-attached projects anymore, as they usually don't turn out.

Jeff

Oh, an apparently this:

which is an even stronger statement than mine, doesn't fall under "boring, blind, fanatical, and musically narrow-minded" because it's not signed "Ray Barnsbury."

You're right, that is boring, blind, fanatical, and musically narrow-minded.

No project that has Spielberg's name attached to it is set-in-stone. I try not to look forward to any Spielberg-attached projects anymore, as they usually don't turn out.

Jeff

Well, the cast, sets and locations are most of the way there. This is happening.

Jeff

Well, the cast, sets and locations are most of the way there. This is happening.

I did not know that!

its hard to get excited about anything Spielberg does anymore.

He hasn't had a real boxoffice hit since 98.

sometimes,

I fell asleep in Terminal, loved Catch Me, initially raved about MR, but then reality hit me, AI was diahrrea, SPR was a great war movie, but an average movie, LW was ok, Amistad was ok, SL was hugely overrated, JP is underrated, Hook was diahrrea, LC was mediocre at best, Always was poop.

sometimes,  

I fell asleep in Terminal, loved Catch Me, initially raved about MR, but then reality hit me, AI was diahrrea, SPR was a great war movie, but an average movie, LW was ok, Amistad was ok, SL was hugely overrated, JP is underrated, Hook was diahrrea, LC was mediocre at best, Always was poop.

LOL Fecal matter...

Haven't seen Terminal, loved Catch Me, initially raved about MR, and continue to do so, AI was ehhh, SPR was a great movie in most repects, LW was bad, Amistad was flawed but still had it's moments, SL is among the greatest movies ever, JP is kinda underrated, very good, Hook was great from a child's perspective, LC is fantastic in all respects, Always was one of the dullest movies I've ever seen.

(And while we're on the subject...)

Empire of The Sun was good, can't really remember Color Purple, Temple of Doom is great, E.T. is phenominal, Raiders is one of the greatest movies ever, 1941 was just a general miss, Close Encouters I have tons of admiration for, Jaws is amazing, Sugarland is fantastic.

Rats.  Speaking of come-and-gone, it looks like AOL has shut down the link to the POA soundtrack.  

:cry:

Why is that upsetting when you can now buy the score and get it with superior fidelity than that stream? The stream was useful when it was the only way to get the score. Now it's been superseded. It would be dumb for them to continually make something free when the goal is to try and get album sales.

Neil

Oh yeah. The Goblet of Fire'll be "The Scouring of the Shire" or something.

Well.I still plan to see PoA once more on IMAX.

And Terminal is out this Friday here,so i'll be seeing it(the french dub wasn't ready last week so it couldn't be released in either languages)

So they are not quite gone yet.

K.M.

Haven't seen Terminal, loved Catch Me, initially raved about MR, and continue to do so, AI was ehhh, SPR was a great movie in most repects, LW was bad, Amistad was flawed but still had it's moments, SL is among the greatest movies ever, JP is kinda underrated, very good, Hook was great from a child's perspective, LC is fantastic in all respects, Always was one of the dullest movies I've ever seen.

At least you make a lot more sense than Joe, which post is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Luckily, for most of the time, he resides at the Potter threads. Damn, they should give him a prize, or something. My only guess is that he wrote it to provoke. And since I'm reacting to it, it's safe to conclude he succeeded in his purpose.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Is there going to be nothing else for 2004?

Williams needs to get his act together!

The man took all of 2003 off. I feel he owes us at least 1 more score this year.

OK FINE the man doesn;t owe us anything but for GODS sake John give us SOMETHING else man!

Why is that upsetting when you can now buy the score and get it with superior fidelity than that stream? The stream was useful when it was the only way to get the score. Now it's been superseded. It would be dumb for them to continually make something free when the goal is to try and get album sales.  

No problem here; I've had the CD since the first day. But I thought someone might want to know, so you can take down the link on the POA page.

Mike

"... because if you haven't noticed, we're on your side." (Order of The Phoenix, chap. 12)

Hey, I just remembered The Aviator is coming in December.  I'm not a Scorsese fan, but the Howard Hughes story is too cool to pass up.  (Howard Shore is scoring.)

The trailer looks crappy IMO. Just what I feared it would be. Scorsese really needs to get his act together. I don't think Shore will have much to do on it. A film set in the 40's? AND A SCORSESE FILM? I'm surprised Shore was even hired.

Hey, I just remembered The Aviator is coming in December.  I'm not a Scorsese fan, but the Howard Hughes story is too cool to pass up.  (Howard Shore is scoring.)

The trailer looks crappy IMO. Just what I feared it would be. Scorsese really needs to get his act together. I don't think Shore will have much to do on it. A film set in the 40's? AND A SCORSESE FILM? I'm surprised Shore was even hired.

If you mean crappy as far as the colors washed out to the point of sepia, then yeah, I totally agree with you. Other than that, I'm not sure you can tell that much from it.

No problem here; I've had the CD since the first day. But I thought someone might want to know, so you can take down the link on the POA page.

)

Who cares...

KM.

At least you make a lot more sense than Joe, which post is one of the most ignorant things I've ever read. Luckily, for most of the time, he resides at the Potter threads. Damn, they should give him a prize, or something. My only guess is that he wrote it to provoke. And since I'm reacting to it, it's safe to conclude he succeeded in his purpose.  

----------------  

Alex Cremers

why do you say that Alex, because I berate SL? I find that film overrated. Its politically incorrect to disparage that film, as if its holy. Since I don't do PC, it think this is a flawed film.

A.I. is a piece of shit. LW was a visually stunning film with no heart, MR was as cold a film as you could get. Catch Me was very good, and I have no complaints. Hook was a terrible movie, Always and Terminal were boring, and Saving Private Ryan was like SL overrated, and untrue to its subject matter. Why don't you step your ass up to the plate and tell us what you like, contribute something of substance instead of your morose bitching and whining all the time. Get the corn cob out of your ass and tell us how you feel.

Let's play nice guys.

I have a couple of questions. Episode III and HP4 are due in 2005. Isn't Speilberg's film due in 2005 as well? Has Williams been confirmed yet for HP4 and if so might this be a similar situation with HPCOS?

sorry Mark, I can't, I'm taking all my toys and going home! :thumbup:

I was thinking the Spielberg is supposed to have the olympic film and the rivals, not that his films matter much any more.

Is there going to be nothing else for 2004?  

Williams needs to get his act together!  

The man took all of 2003 off. I feel he owes us at least 1 more score this year.  

OK FINE the man doesn;t owe us anything but for GODS sake John give us SOMETHING else man!

He does have his act together - he spent 2003 writing Soundings and the Horn Concerto! Let the man breathe! :thumbup:

.....and Saving Private Ryan was like SL overrated, and untrue to its subject matter.

(I'm not trying to get off subject or to critisize, I'm just wondering....)

Why do you think it is untrue to it's subject matter?

I agree with Morlock. The Aviator looks like a bigger disaster for Scorcese than The Spruce Goose was for Hughes.

The Spruce Goose wasn't a disaster. Hughes pitched it to the government, they gave him the contract, and it flew to the contract's specifications. (Which was 10 minutes or something.)

I have a couple of questions. Episode III and HP4 are due in 2005. Isn't Speilberg's film due in 2005 as well? Has Williams been confirmed yet for HP4 and if so might this be a similar situation with HPCOS?

Nothing official has been said about Williams invovement in GoF. Yet.

Nothing official has been said about Williams involvment in the next Spielberg project. Yet. Some things are just there, irrelevent of official notification. :thumbup: