Favorite Scores for the Holiday Season

diskobolus

Ray inspired this thread by mentioning the Home Alone scores as two favorite scores to play during the holiday season. What other scores do people find they play a lot during these weeks? Catch Me If You Can is one that's popped up in the last two years for me... I remember opening it is a gift and playing it immediately on Christmas morning.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Home Alone, and A Charlie Brown Christmas as the two most perfect Christmas scores.

Joy to the World, and We Wish You a Merry Christmas are two of my favorite Christmas albums as well, containing some film based Christmas music. Burl Ives Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer is played alot as well.

Other Christmas favorites are the Mormon Tabernacle Choir's Christmas album, and the original Time Life Treasury of Christmas.

I actually have about 30 Christmas themed cd's or more.

Definitely Home Alone and, now that I got the nice 2CD Varese release, Home Alone II as well.

I also recently dug out The Nightmare Before Christmas too

Of course the Home Alone scores are the quintessential Christmas film scores. The first two Potter scores are kinda Christmasy for me, and Debney's Elf is nice too, especially the main titles. Oh, and I second Joe's mention of Joy to the World with JW and the Pops. It has some great medleys, pieces from Home Alone, and The Night Before Christmas narrated by Robin Williams is really fun.

Ray Barnsbury

I also recently dug out The Nightbare Before Christmas too

Did you dig that one out from under your parents matress? 8O

I just haven't listened to the score in YEARS. I've had the 3 tracks from "Music for a Darkened Theater 2" since that CD came out, but never had the soundrack album until many years later and never saw the movie until the DVD came out. I decided this year that I should ad it to my car rotation starting around Halloween and leave it there until around X-Mas :D

I put together a medley of Christmas scores every holiday season. Here is what is in my playlist this year:

selections from:

Silvestri, Polar Express

Debney, Elf

Debney, I'll Be Home for Christmas

Rabin, Jack Frost

Snow, Ernest Saves Christmas

D. Newman, Jingle all the Way

D. Newman, Anastasia

Elfman, Edward Scissorhands

Elfman, Nightmare before Christmas

Mothersbaugh, Royal Tenenbaums (end title)

Broughton, Eloise at Christmastime

Broughton, All I Want for Christmas

Broughton, Miracle on 34th Street

Beal, Miracle on 34th Street (trailer)

Williams, Home Alone & Home Alone 2

Convertino, The Santa Clause

Clinton, The Santa Clause 2

Jarre, Prancer

Horner, The Grinch Who Stole Christmas

Blake, The Snowman

P. Williams, Muppet Christmas Carol

Happy holidays!

Somewhere in my Memory has become the consummate X-mas music for me - in particular the childrens chorus version and the Finale from Home Alone, with its particularly warm and fuzzy rendition. It captures the nostalgic, familial side of X-mas. Star of Bethleham, even without the lyrics, is one of the most religious pieces he?s written, full of beauty, mystery and reverance. And though I?m not religious, I regard the full-choir Star of Bethleham version on Home Alone 2 as one of my all-time favorite JW cues. Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas, of course, gives us the youthful, celebratory side of X-mas. The first two themes, in particular, get a lot of playing this time of year.

- Adam

Home Alone, and A Charlie Brown Christmas as the two most perfect Christmas scores.

Agreed! I also really enjoy Home Alone 2 and The Muppets' Christmas Carol. The songs in the Muppets... are really pretty and festive.

I also make a point to listen through Handel's Messiah, and my personal favourite: Vaughan Williams' "Hodie: A Christmas Cantata". I can really recommend the latter for anyone interested in film music. The piece is very fantastic in places with some really cool effects. Hely-Hutchinson's Symphony on Christmas Carols is also beautiful. The last movement, based on The First Nowell is chilling. It was used as the theme music to the BBC TV series "The Box of Delights" back in the 80s. Good music, and good show!

Of course now that I have the complete Bach Edition I'll have to listen to Bach's Christmas Oratorio too this year! Damn, I need to start listening now!!!

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Pix.

:mrgreen: Bach: Wer da glaubet und getauft wird.

Yeah! Great idea! I have to dig out that tape again soon. ROTFLMAO

And I just saw Home Alone is scheduled for broadcast for next Friday on Yorin. I'll check that out, just to hear the score again. :mrgreen:

I'm studying at Kent State (in Portage County). Where are you?

I've never even heard of Portage County....

*one google search later* Ah I see up by Akron yes, I'm in Washinton County, down on the Ohio River. :mrgreen:

Justin - Who thinks Kent State looks like a fine institution. ROTFLMAO

More great Christmas stuf! ROTFLMAO I don't have the scores, or the movies, but I really feel like renting Die Hard 1 and 2 for Christmas. What a great way to spend your holiday. Yippikayay mother$#%^@r! :mrgreen:

- Marc, ready for the two-week Christmas vacation. ROTFLMAO

B0000033VG.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Is that the album that "What Do You Get A Wookiee For Christmas?" is from?

Yep, I also own this album along with The Muppets sing Christmas with John Denver

I guess it getting that time for my annual viewing of Blackadder's Christmas Carol.  :D

When the ghost comes bursting into Blackadder's bedroom at night does it strike anyone else as familiar?

There are flashes of light, and a great pounding on the door. After a while the door is knocked off it's hinges and falls into the room. A giant (ghost) with wild crazy hair and a massive beard, dressed in great shaggy clothes comes striding into the room. He is played by Robbie Coltrane.

The amazing thing is that this was filmed back in the 80s!

Oh and another thing. Has anyone seen the original Bridget Jones Diary? One of Bridget's friends is played by Shirley Henderson. The first time we see her she is alone in a girls' toilet, crying. Hmmmm....

I'm studying at Kent State (in Portage County). Where are you?

I've never even heard of Portage County....

*one google search later* Ah I see up by Akron yes, I'm in Washinton County, down on the Ohio River. :D

Justin - Who thinks Kent State looks like a fine institution. :P

Indeed it is! And it's quite close to Blossom music centre, which is handy for the rare occasions when JW comes to conduct the Cleveland Orchestra! I went to two of his concerts a couple of years ago. One concert of his concert music (Tree Song and the Concerto with Gil Shaham) and another of his movie music. Great!

Perhaps we should find more Ohio Williams fans and organise a trip somewhere.

I'm waiting for Williams to do another Pittsburgh concert. I love Hientz Hall. The ketchup's good too!

Justin - Who thinks the Pitts Symphony is top notch. Their recordings of Far and Away and Schindler's List on John Williams' Greatest Hits are awesome!

I guess it getting that time for my annual viewing of Blackadder's Christmas Carol.  :D

When the ghost comes bursting into Blackadder's bedroom at night does it strike anyone else as familiar?

There are flashes of light, and a great pounding on the door. After a while the door is knocked off it's hinges and falls into the room. A giant (ghost) with wild crazy hair and a massive beard, dressed in great shaggy clothes comes striding into the room. He is played by Robbie Coltrane.

The amazing thing is that this was filmed back in the 80s!

:P

Coltrane looks exactly like he will a good 15 years later when playing Hagrid!

John- who also loves Coltrane in BA the Third's Ink and Incapability, possibly the best Blackadder ep ever. :P

Broughton, Eloise at Christmastime

I wasn't aware that this score got a release ... or even a promo ... where'd you find music from it? :(

-Matt