WOTW: I have a bad feeling about this...

Sandor

• Replies 364
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stefancos is absolutely right; Spielberg LOVES Zimmer's music! It was Spielberg who attracted Zimmer and his Media Ventures to Dreamworks.

Remember guys; I hope I'm wrong, but I really have a bad feeling about this...

Yes, Williams' name was not on the teaser posters /trailers for Harry Potter BUT I never claimed that. I said that Williams has always been on the earliest teaser posters for STEVEN SPIELBERG films (even when Kahn or Kaminski were NOT yet mentioned).

Roald

Stefancos is absolutely right; Spielberg LOVES Zimmer's music! It was Spielberg who attracted Zimmer and his Media Ventures to Dreamworks.

Of course this was years ago, we don't know how spielbertg feels about the whole 'ghostwriting" situation?

And is Zimmer still being sued?

Yes, Williams' name was not on the teaser posters /trailers for Harry Potter BUT I never claimed that. I said that Williams has always been on the earliest teaser posters for STEVEN SPIELBERG films (even when Kahn or Kaminski were NOT yet mentioned).

Roald

The voice of Doom comes back to haunt us for another week. :|

Tobe Hooper was not involved with the post-production on Poltergeist.  That was entirely Spielberg.  Some have even speculated that Hooper was only on the set to officially call "action" and "cut".

Not even a "See you tomorrow"?

The voice of Doom comes back to haunt us for another week.

:| WHHAAAAHHAAAHHHA!!! I WILL HAVE THE LAST LAUGH!!!!!

:cry: No! No! I don't want to have the last laugh because that means Williams really won't score War of The Worlds!!!

8O So WHAT!!! At LEAST ALL THESE PITTYFUL BOARDMEMBERS WILL BE AT YOUR KNEES!!! WHAHAHAHAH!!! YOU'LL BE LIKE A GOD HERE!!!!

:cry: No! No! I would rather be the fool of this board! I would rather have Williams score WOTW!!!

:devil: SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

-------------------------

(I really have nothing better to do....)

Roald

AKA The Master

Nah, next week I have a two week vacation period. This is my break.

I'm also trying to increase my post count!!!

This will be my 109th post!!!

Isn't that an AWESOME figure?! I bet most guys here couldn't reach that number!!! No way man!

Roald

AKA The Bringer of Bad News (War Of The Worlds)

This will be my 109th post!!!

No wonder your wife thinks you are a women. :)

Isn't that an AWESOME figure?! I bet most guys here couldn't reach that number!!! No way man!

I could do 109 posts in one day with one hand tied behind my back and a box of Kleenex next to my mouse.

In that case don't worry, you are wrong. You are just being extremely paranoid to a pathological level, that's all.

Ender: The voice of reason.

Morlock- who wonders what the head of the Dreamworks music department does, and why the hell he's not John Williams

• 2 weeks later...

OK, more bad news.

On MSN they run a coverage on the most anticipated films of 2005. Ofcourse Revenge Of The Sith is there as is King King or The Chronicles Of Narnia. Notice that all these films have a composer credited.

War Of The Worlds is also on that list.

Please look at the following link:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=572132&mp=c

This is disturbing guys! As you can see Kaminski or Kahn ARE mentioned this time, but John Williams is still not officially attached to this project.

Is Spielberg looking for another composer, because John will be too busy scoring Revenge Of The Sith?

I think so.

Roald

Yeah... I do...

BUT! Accept it guys:

The ZIMMER is coming to ya house! The inheriter of Johnny's legacy has finally been revealed!

Roald

Me no washing tha dishes. Me a man. Me lick the dishes clean with my big tongue! (and later us it for something else WhahaHaaha) Me man - give me food! No wait! Give me a living animal so I can bite of the head and eat tha meat raw! Raaghhh!! (the latter was your suggestion wasn't it?)

Whaaarraaghhh!!!

Roald

(Who just found out a guy called Jeff Wayne might be scoring WOTW - Hmmm... wondering if that is some kind of shadowname for tha Zimmer.....)

Me no washing tha dishes. Me a man. Me lick the dishes clean with my big tongue! (and later us it for something else WhahaHaaha) Me man - give me food! No wait! Give me a living animal so I can bite of the head and eat tha meat raw! Raaghhh!! (the latter was your suggestion wasn't it?)

Whaaarraaghhh!!!

And this kind of person teaches our nations children?

Yeah.... you're right...

Got a little out of control there. I'm gonna wash the slime of my cheeks now, shave, get a haircut, dress myself neatly and attempt to limit my (m)animal-like tendencies...

Sigh...

Roaldino

(Who just found out a guy called Jeff Wayne might be scoring WOTW - Hmmm... wondering if that is some kind of shadowname for tha Zimmer.....)

You know, there is a lovely irony here. The whole "War of the Worlds" idea derives from Orson Welles' radio experiment, where he convinced half of America that it was being invaded, thus collapsing interstates and subways. And here you are, with exactly the same feeling of paranoia that moved those guys that day, jumping to conclusions just because... well, if there is a cause.

Jeff Wayne is the author of the War of the Worlds musical (or whatever that project is considered) that's now a cult classic adaptation from the novel. There is, apparently, an animated WotW version coming up that's using the Jeff Wayne music. Many fans feel Spielberg's version should also use Wayne's music, so feel free to take that sentiment as official and loose some night's sleep. Just enjoy Williams' score when it comes out.

Is Spielberg looking for another composer, because John will be too busy scoring Revenge Of The Sith?  

I think so.

In 2002 Minority Report was released on June 21, 2002. There is exactly the same amount of days between ROTS and WOTW as there was between AOTC and MR.

Williams did it before, he'll do it again.

Justin

Many fans feel Spielberg's version should also use Wayne's music

In which form? The original disco-rock version, or a new adapted Williams version?

I too have thought of this but I don't think it will happen.

----------------

Alex Cremers

In which form? The original disco-rock version, or a new adapted Williams version?

I hope not. It will be Williams, so stop the childish hysteria, it's almost embarassing. I think what I'm hoping it will be (and it's quite a simplistic summation) a serious, mature and developing Mars Attacks - I don't know if it would be thematic or less so, perhaps a la Minority Report. Has anyone else got any desires or estimations?

I think so.

In 2002 Minority Report was released on June 21, 2002. There is exactly the same amount of days between ROTS and WOTW as there was between AOTC and MR.

Williams did it before, he'll do it again.

Justin

And we all know those two scores are the front of everyone's listening queue. :)

I agree with Road.Something is not right.I assume Williams may end up scoring the picture after all,but for now I think he's not officially attached to the film untill he finishes RotS.Maybe he didn't like beeing rushed for Terminal,for which the release date was delayed because he was still working on Potter.He recorded Potter in Febuary also,but it seems he might have had to work on it after that.

Another important factor may be Tom Cruise.He's the one that wanted Zimmer for The Last Samurai,and maybe he's argueing with Spielberg to bring him on WotW,plus add to that that Spielberg likes Zimmers music,it doesbn't look good.

K.M.

From what I hear, Cruise likes Williams as much as Zimmer. I really don't think Spielberg is that much of a tool to just dump his best mate and bring a hack on board. If that happened, Williams would never score his movies again.

Okay, did you guys SEE the Kennedy Center Honors? Spielberg said that Williams was the "greatest thing that has ever happened to [his] career" and he's half-joked that Williams is the main reason he's still making movies. And Tom Cruise, who regularly attends Williams' recording sessions, is going to force Steven Spielberg to use Hans Zimmer instead? Right. Seriously, simma' down!

Ray Barnsbury

I hope not. It will be Williams, so stop the childish hysteria, it's almost embarassing.

I'm far from feeling hysterical about this. I think it just might be interesting to hear what Williams would make of it (but I know this will never happen, unless Spielberg is a big fan of Wayne's album). There's a synth coda in Wayne's music that could be transformed into a wonderful eerie string line. I'm sure many people will dig it when done right, when done Williams.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I think Williams will do it, just because Mr. Spielberg wants him in every project.

Can't we just wait and see?!?

It seems you are waiting for this more than the EPIII score :)

Can't we just wait and see?!?

It seems you are waiting for this more than the EPIII score

Yeah, maybe you're right. It's just that I really WANT Williams to score Revenge Of The Sith, Memoirs Of A Geisha AND The War Of The Worlds in 2005.

Something tells me that ain't gonna happen. It worries me ok?

King Mark, arguably the only believer here, made an excellent point: The Terminal. Williams couldn't really finish The Terminal the way he and Spielberg wanted it to. It got delayed and sort of flopped.

Do we really think the executives want the same sort of shit to happen to War Of The Worlds? Ofcourse not. War Of The Worlds NEEDS to make big money. It cannot delay in any way. And we know that nowadays, sadly, people in the film industry obviously regard Zimmer's music as 'commercial' and therefore the man is very popular.

Roald

King Mark, arguably the only believer here, made an excellent point: The Terminal. Williams couldn't really finish The Terminal the way he and Spielberg wanted it to. It got delayed and sort of flopped.

So, if JW need more time to finish a single score, let's give him time. Althought I would prefer 2 great scores instead of 3 poor scores, just because he had to harry up.

Do we really think the executives want the same sort of shit to happen to War Of The Worlds? Ofcourse not. War Of The Worlds NEEDS to make big money. It cannot delay in any way. And we know that nowadays, sadly, people in the film industry obviously regard Zimmer's music as 'commercial' and therefore the man is very popular.

They wanna make money with WotW? Ok, so why they should pick Zimmer instead of Williams?!? :)

They wanna make money with WotW? Ok, so why they should pick Zimmer instead of Williams?!? Shocked

Hey, it's not my opinion! I'm just placing myself in the position of those stubborn, old Hollywood executives!

Believe me; it THEIR mind (not mine) the Media Ventures represent all that is succesful and commercial in music nowadays.

Obviously films like King Arthur or Pearl Harbor already proved to me that Zimmer nor his associates cannot make a film more commercialy succesful.

On the other hand; they probably also don't make it worse. John Williams couldn't 'save' The Patriot back in 200 either. Maybe film music simply doesn't have that kind of effect.

Still there was something this year that made the producers of Troy reject Yared's score and opted for a more (in THEIR mind) commercial approach by hiring Horner on the last minute.

Roald

I know the Hollywood executives sometimes take wrong decisions, but Spielberg never does! :)

He's the perfect film director, so he will choose the perfect film music composer.