Williams output since the year 2000

Sandor

Williams' scoring assigments this new millennium (oh, and to avoid confusion or teachy remarks: for me the new millennium started in the year 2000 although I know that is not completely accurate) have been really interesting. New Star Wars films, the Harry Potter series, Spielberg returning to Sci-Fi... Here are my short reviews of his work so far...

The Patriot, directed by Roland Emmerich, 2000 - ***

For me, a dissapointment. Why does Zimmer get to score so many films I wish Williams would score (King Arthur, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, etc.)? You know, big epic films. The Patriot was one that Williams got to do. The result? Average. I adore the love theme (especially played on the violin), but the main theme doesn't do it for me. I think this score actually hurt the film. It should have been more sweeping, more epic, more 'on the foreground'.

A.I. Artificial Intelligence, directed by Steven Spielberg, 2001 - *****

One of Williams best scores. Ever. Williams put so much effort in this score and there is so much emotion in his themes. Monica's Theme, The Search For The Blue Fairy with it's Morricone influences, the trip-hop music in The Moon Rising, the almost pastoral opening of Stolen Memories. I LOVE this score! I even like the pop-version of his main theme (For Always). Classic!

Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, directed by Chris Colombus, 2001 ****

It took some time for me to appreciate it completely simply because I expected the thematic richness of Hook. I now realize that Hedwig's Theme is brilliant and the A Change Of Season melody is gorgeous. I love the choral effect Williams employed on The Arrival Of Baby Harry cue. That's truly perfection! One of the best scores Williams wrote in the last five years!

Star Wars Episode II Attack Of The Clones, directed by George Lucas, 2002 ****

Yeah I know all the shit that has been said about this score and I know the shit Lucas' pulled on Williams when editing the final act of his failed production, but you can't blame Williams. His Love Theme from the film is the single best theme Williams wrote this millennium. It's GREAT! The kind of music I missed on The Phantom Menace soundtrack. I love his Confrontation With Count Dooku/End Credits track! An amazing, albeit a somewhat infamous soundtrack.

Minority Report, directed by Steven Spielberg, 2002 ***

Exactly the kind of music that I don't want to hear. It the film it did miracles, but on the album it's hard to digest. I listen to it very little. I appreciate the action music, the haunting vocal effect and the final track, but it's just not enough for me.

Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, directed by Chris Colombus, 2002 ****

At first hearing I was utterly impressed! I truly considered this far superior to the original score. Now, I regard it to be it's equal. I love the new themes, especially Fawkes The Phoenix, but I feel they are not integrated well enough in the final film score. I never actually heard The Chamber Of Secrets theme in the film, only on the album.

Catch Me If You Can, directed by Steven Spielberg, 2002 ***

Not really my favorite music. But I do appreciate Williams' approach! It turns out this is one of the most respected scores of his career! A lot of reviewers praised the score. The Father's Theme is highly complex, but it takes me time to extract the melody from the piece. The Float seems so simple (the basic theme), but the arrangment is brilliant. A score I need to listen to more often.

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, directed by Alfonse Cauron, 2004 *****

This is for me one of the best, most ingenius scores in Williams' career! By far the most interesting of all the Harry Potter scores. I love ALL the new themes! The Waltz, the flying theme of Buckbeak, the A Window To The Past Theme, Double Trouble,.... BRILLIANT! Listening to score makes me realize how regretful it is Williams will not score the fourth installment.

The Terminal, directed by Steven Spielberg, 2004 ****

I LOVE the arrangment of Viktor's Theme! It's so great and truly a sign of Williams endless arrangemental (is that English?) abilities. Also the theme presented in the Diner Of Amelia track is classic European style film scoring! And there are hidden treasures: ever heard the theme after the National Anthem (on the album?). It's simple, yet beautiful.

So what's still to come. A short forecast:

Star Wars Episode III Revenge Of The Sith, directed by George Lucas, 2005

I expect Williams to blow everyone away with this one. I'm sure, like Lucas obviously, he wants to end the Star Wars series on a high note.

War Of The Worlds, directed by Steven Spielberg, 2005

I really hope it will not be too atonal or minimalistic. On Close Encounters it worked great, but I hope the direction will be more action/adventure. More like the music David Arnold wrote for Independence Day.

Memoirs Of A Gesiha, directed by Rob Marshall, 2005

I expect this score to be FANTASTIC! I hope Williams will take the best music from Seven Years In Tibet and use that as the template on this one. It could be the best score since Schindler's List. I have high hopes for this one!

And ofcourse some projects still a little vague: Vengeance (Steven Spielberg), Sub-Mariner (Chris Colombus), Indiana Jones IV (Steven Spielberg)...

I'm excited about ALL of Williams upcoming assignments. 2005 could turn out be another truly GREAT year in Williams' career (like 1977 and 1993).

Let's hope...

Roald

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, that was just to see if y'all would read my post! (Something similar I often say before class when I make a mistake: "Oh, I did that on purpose to see if you were paying attention..." Those kids buy that evertime!!)

Anyway; I just corrected it! Thank you for that! Otherwise I would look like an ass :D

Roald

Yes. The score is totaly run-of-the-mill, but JW doing a JW impersonation is still pretty good. The score is as subtle as the movie is. The love theme is good, some of the secondary themes are ok, they're appropriate, and IMO, they work. I actually like when he goes all out patriotic for the 4th of July sound.

I'd give it a ****1/2 for listening, but ***** for how it works in the movie, and just how it exists on several levels. Monica's Theme is a bit too much for me, and I can't stand the songs, IMO they betray what's the theme's about.

I'd give it *****. Pure magic, one of Williams' best scores. So many themes, all fo them are great, all used fantasticaly in the movie. For such a 'bombastic' score, the use of themes is not quite as obvious as it seems at first.

For me, **. One of my least favorite Williams themes, a lot of underscore lacking personality, only 1 or 2 really good action highlights, and those are pretty derivative.

A very solid **** from me. Brilliant score. Williams in the zone. A noir score with a futuristic feel to it. He just got the movie.

The same from me. 4 Great new themes (Fawkes, CoS, Dobby, Moaning Myrtle). Unfortunately, not much else, save some nice arrangements of old themes, 'Thw Flying Car', and 'The Dueling Club'.

Probably a ***1/2 or **** from me. Three fantastic new themes, a bunch of superb sub-themes and motifs going on. The kind of music I can't imagine JW conducting (and that's a good thing). I love it best when he kind of lets go and runs off- like at 5:30 in 'Learning The Ropes'.

I also love the darker, more contemporary stuff from the score. Not too much of it, and only 'The Airport Scene' Made it to the album, but still. I love in the movie how it's going okay, until you see the FBI guy whispering into her ear, then it gets all dark and foreboding, and that theme comes in as he's driving past her. Wonderful.

Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, directed by Alfonse Cauron, 2004 *****

A **** from me. It's Williams adapting amazingly to the movie (I also can't really imagine him conducting this). It's a surprisingly fresh and, compared to the first two, un-JW score. You really need to see the film in order to appreciate the greatness of this score.

***1/2 from me. I love Viktor's Theme, one of JW's best, and the concert arrangement of it is fantastic, really enhances the theme. I appreciate the love theme more than I actually like it, but it is lovely. A wonderful little romantic comedy score.

I expect Williams to blow everyone away with this one. I'm sure, like Lucas obviously, he wants to end the Star Wars series on a high note.  

I really hope it will not be too atonal or minimalistic. On Close Encounters it worked great, but I hope the direction will be more action/adventure. More like the music David Arnold wrote for Independence Day.

Memoirs Of A Gesiha, directed by Frank Marshall, 2005

I expect this score to be FANTASTIC! I hope Williams will take the best music from Seven Years In Tibet and use that as the template on this one. It could be the best score since Schindler's List. I have high hopes for this one!

And ofcourse some projects still a little vague: Vengeance (Steven Spielberg), Sub-Mariner (Chris Colombus), Indiana Jones IV (Steven Spielberg)...

I'm excited about ALL of Williams upcoming assignments. 2005 could turn out be another truly GREAT year in Williams' career (like 1977 and 1993).  

Let's hope...

Roald

I'm rather enthused by the fact that every upcoming JW score could be a masterpiece. Based on the past few years, It's more likely than not that they'll be very good or great, and the potential is just boundless. 2005 does indeed seem like a hugely juicy year. Somehow, I'm glad he's not doing a fourth movie. 4 would be spreading himself too thin. 3 seems just right to me.

3 seems just right to me.

And 3 films in one year is already A LOT for John Williams! Save 1990, 1997 and 2002 he has always scored only 1 or 2 films since 1989.

Roald

Somehow, I'm glad he's not doing a fourth movie. 4 would be spreading himself too thin. 3 seems just right to me.

I agree completely. Three is just right. I think 2002 -- as good a year as that was for JW -- was a little bit too much: AotC, Minority Report, CoS, then Catch Me If You Can. On top of that wasn't the 20th anniversary of E.T. in March 2002???

ROTFLMAO

The Patriot - *****

I'll never understand the flack aimed at this score. It's epic, it's emotional, it's dark and... well, patriotic. I love it.

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence - *****

"Where Dreams Are Born" and "The Reunion" are worth all the $2 I paid for this score!

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - *****

Another 5-star one, still keeping strong there. I believe this to be a classic, and hopefully has brought a younger generation into film scores as well as Star Wars did in 1977.

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - *****

I may as well just not state the ratings anymore, because they all seem to be getting top marks from me. Sure, this score suffered from horrific editing in the film (not to mention mixed with TPM music!), but it's wonderful on CD.

Minority Report - ****

Not a classic, but still very listenable. The action music is incredible, and many parts are very moving and unsettling.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - ****

Not bad, the new themes and some of the new underscore are exceptional, but the rehashed music from the first film pull it down a tad bit, but still enjoyable.

Catch Me If You Can - ***

There's more bloody period songs on this album than actual score! Still, the jingles by Williams in this score are very fun and catchy (pun not intended).

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - *****

Wowza! The best Harry Potter film so far deserved the best score by the best composer. Everything about this is amazing from "A Window to the Past", "Double Trouble", "The Snowball Fight", "The Dementors Converge", "Mischief Managed!" and a heap of other material that didn't make it onto CD. I'll truly miss Williams in GoF, but I hope he might return for OOTP.

The Terminal - ****

I'll listen to this when I need something positive and uplifting without it being overbearingly so. I still haven't seen the film yet, but aside from that annoying anthem, the CD is wonderful.

I completely agree with you Roald. Although I do have a higher appreciation for Catch Me If You Can, one of Williams' most blatant efforts to refresh himself and his sound -- an attempt that is truly defining this stage of his career. A stage which, by the way, is the best an aging composer with so many classics on his back could ask for.

The Patriot - ***

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence - ****

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - ***

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - *

Minority Report - **

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - *****

Catch Me If You Can - ****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - *

The Terminal - *****

The Patriot- ***

Highly underrated. I'm a fan of all the themes in here, though the underscore is not all it could be. The Parish Church Aflame is Williams tragic-writing at it's finest.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone- *****

A masterpiece in every respect.

Star Wars: Episdoe II- *****

Williams most controversial score in a long time, maybe ever. Personally I love it. More brooding and mysterious than the other SW scores, but that's excatly what the film calls for. And the Love Theme is indeed wonderful. The editing nightmare hurts it, but can we really blame Williams for that? He did what he could. The cues for the start of Anakin's descent are perfect (Return to Tatooine, The Tusken Camp, Anakin's Confession), and if we hear more of that in Episode III I will be happy. And Roald is right about the Finale, amazing stuff.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets- ***

Amazing new themes, and lots of untapped potential due to the situation surrounding it's writing. Even new music that Williams wrote suffered some, ranging from great to unremarkable.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban- ****

A wonderful score, though it doesn't reach the hights of Sorcerer's Stone IMO. The thematic content is a little lacking (though I have come to appreciate the use of the Past Theme more and more), and the variety of great general underscore is both a plus and a bit of a minus.

I haven't heard enough of AI, Minority Report, CMiyC or The Terminal to give a full opinion, yet.

For me, a dissapointment. Why does Zimmer get to score so many films I wish Williams would score (King Arthur, Gladiator, The Last Samurai, etc.)? You know, big epic films. The Patriot was one that Williams got to do. The result? Average. I adore the love theme (especially played on the violin), but the main theme doesn't do it for me. I think this score actually hurt the film. It should have been more sweeping, more epic, more 'on the foreground'.

Yeah, David Arnold could have done wonders with this, Williams didn't.

I wish that love theme was the central theme in the film, then we would have had something.

One of Williams best scores. Ever. Williams put so much effort in this score and there is so much emotion in his themes. Monica's Theme, The Search For The Blue Fairy with it's Morricone influences, the trip-hop music in The Moon Rising, the almost pastoral opening of Stolen Memories. I LOVE this score! I even like the pop-version of his main theme (For Always). Classic!

True, but it is so emotional that I cannmot listen to it often, I have the same thing with Goldenthal's score for the stage play Juan Darien: A Carnival Mass, an queally brilliant work that just hurts me in some way.

It took some time for me to appreciate it completely simply because I expected the thematic richness of Hook. I now realize that Hedwig's Theme is brilliant and the A Change Of Season melody is gorgeous. I love the choral effect Williams employed on The Arrival Of Baby Harry cue. That's truly perfection! One of the best scores Williams wrote in the last five years!

Perhaps not the thematic juagernaut that hook was but still the most thematic Williams score of this century.

Simply brilliant, a masterpiece.

Yeah I know all the shit that has been said about this score and I know the shit Lucas' pulled on Williams when editing the final act of his failed production, but you can't blame Williams. His Love Theme from the film is the single best theme Williams wrote this millennium. It's GREAT! The kind of music I missed on The Phantom Menace soundtrack. I love his Confrontation With Count Dooku/End Credits track! An amazing, albeit a somewhat infamous soundtrack.

A decent score, but somewhat underwelming, the pretty-ness and granduer of Across The Stars manages to conceal pretty well that the theme actually holds no water, and lacks the character of earlier romantic Williams themes.

The action music ranges from exciting (Coruscant Chase) to utterly annoying (Jango's Escape).

The climax is great though I remain at odds if the Imperial March should have been used at all.

The best 2 moments in the score are the subtle rendition of Shmi's Theme that still gives me goosebums, and the sad rendition of Anakins theme that transforms into Vaders theme via the Love Theme

Exactly the kind of music that I don't want to hear. It the film it did miracles, but on the album it's hard to digest. I listen to it very little. I appreciate the action music, the haunting vocal effect and the final track, but it's just not enough for me.

It works great in the film, it's not a good listen on CD for me, terrible mix (has Shawn Murphy gone deaf) and if I wanna listen to The Lost World action music i'll just grab my Dinorama CD case) ROTFLMAO

At first hearing I was utterly impressed! I truly considered this far superior to the original score. Now, I regard it to be it's equal. I love the new themes, especially Fawkes The Phoenix, but I feel they are not integrated well enough in the final film score. I never actually heard The Chamber Of Secrets theme in the film, only on the album.

This sounds rushed and unfocused to me, the concert tracks are nice yes, but should Williams not have spend time on developping the actual underscore instead of wasting time on cues that are not even used in the film?

The wonder and magic of Philosophers Stone are gone, and not much of interest has replaced it.

Not a bad score by any means, just average.

Not really my favorite music. But I do appreciate Williams' approach! It turns out this is one of the most respected scores of his career! A lot of reviewers praised the score. The Father's Theme is highly complex, but it takes me time to extract the melody from the piece. The Float seems so simple (the basic theme), but the arrangment is brilliant. A score I need to listen to more often.

Pretty much my opinion too

This is for me one of the best, most ingenius scores in Williams' career! By far the most interesting of all the Harry Potter scores. I love ALL the new themes! The Waltz, the flying theme of Buckbeak, the A Window To The Past Theme, Double Trouble,.... BRILLIANT! Listening to score makes me realize how regretful it is Williams will not score the fourth installment.

An outstanding effort, not as magical as PS, but dark and wicked and very inventive.

I LOVE the arrangment of Viktor's Theme! It's so great and truly a sign of Williams endless arrangemental (is that English?) abilities. Also the theme presented in the Diner Of Amelia track is classic European style film scoring! And there are hidden treasures: ever heard the theme after the National Anthem (on the album?). It's simple, yet beautiful.

I have neither seen the film nor heard the score (I know...i know...)

I do not think so, I hope it will be good, I hope Lucas will give Williams something to work with (not unimportant for a FILM composer) expectations for this score are running so high already that i almost feel sorry for Williams.

I'm 100% sure Williams will compose the best score that circumstances allow him too, but it will not match or surpass his work for the original SW trilogy.

Yeah I really wanna hear Williams do this kinda score, this could be very good.

Memoirs Of A Gesiha, directed by Rob Marshall, 2005

I hope Williams will keep the "gongs" and "asian harp" music to a minimum.

As Melange said somewere else western composers generally do not do a very convincing job with Asian-flavored music.

This is OK with scores like Temple of Doom or You Only Live Twice, but big "gong" sounds just do not sound right for this kinda film.

I hope Williams will keep the "gongs" and "asian harp" music to a minimum.

As Melange said somewere else western composers generally do not do a very convincing job with Asian-flavored music.

I think Seven Years In Tibet was NOTHING like the Hollywood interpretation of Asian music as you describe. I found Seven Years much more "authentic" than Glass' Kundun, which got all the credit in 1997.

Roald

The Patriot - ****

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence - **** - Very good & inventive. Could have done with less songs & more score though.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - **** - Very magical, and the concert pieces are outstanding.

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - ** - For me, this is a very average Williams score and only has about 3 or 4 standout cues amongst fairly boring underscore. The love theme just doesn't work for me, and is painfully similar to Hook.

Minority Report - **** - Occasionally some less than stellar underscore but Sean's theme is beautiful and the action is superb.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - ***3/4 - Nearly up there with P'Stone, but there's the obvious reuse of some material, and 1 or 2 of the action cues lack much inventiveness/cohesiveness IMO. Better at including highlights on the album though.

Catch Me If You Can - Haven't heard enough, not a fan of 60's music.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - ***** - Amazing. At least 6 cues are among my most-listened-to cues since I got the score.

The Terminal - ***** - Short & sweet, the themes are addictive & just feels really good.

I don't understand the flack aimed at The Patriot either. I found 'Susan Speaks' and 'Ann & Gabriel' to be incredibly moving & memorable cues when I first heard them, & there's some excellent, haunting underscore.

I also agree about Seven Years in Tibet, it's got a great theme & concert piece, but much of it's either thematic repetition or just similar underscore. It's one of the 2 recent williams albums I don't have all of (Schindler's List being the other, which I hardly ever listen to. Don't shoot me for this, it's superb music orchestrally, just not quite my kind of music.)

The love theme just doesn't work for me, and is painfully similar to Hook.

Luke's Theme, Hook, Amazing Stories...

Can we agree on the fact that Across The Stars is obviously based on EVERY theme Williams has ever written???

Roald

BTW, richuk - I like your post!

I'll never understand the flack aimed at this score. It's epic, it's emotional, it's dark and... well, patriotic. I love it.

Me too! That bullshit about how bad it is! That movie is watchable because of the music! Sad people....

The Patriot - *****

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence - *****

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - *****

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones - *****

Minority Report - *****

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - *****

Catch Me If You Can - *****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - *****

The Terminal - *****

Patriot, ***

AI, ***

HPSS, *****

AOTC, *

MR, **

HPSS, ****

CMIYC, *****

HPPOA, *****

Terminal, **

the movies themselves based on 4 stars

Patriot, **

AI *

HPSS, *** 1/2

AOTC, **

MR, ***

HPCOS, ***

CMIYC, *** 1/2

HPPOA, ** 1/2

Terminal, **

The Patriot, *1/2

A.I., ****1/2

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, ****

Attack of the Clones, **1/2

Minority Report, ****1/2

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, ***1/2

Catch me if you Can, ****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, ****1/2

The Terminal, ****1/2

A.I. doesn't get five stars because of its songs and the credits, Minority Report doesn't because of its mix (argh!); and the two other contenders (PoA and Terminal) because they're too recent. But I think they deserve them.

The Patriot - ***

Normally I'm not too into flag-waving and anthem-playing, but somehow it's interesting when John Williams does it...wonderful march and love theme, but many dull underscore moments.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - ****1/2

Great score, incredible thematic complexity, but none of the music really leaps up and kicks me in the face.

Star Wars - Episode II Attack of the Clones - ***

A good score, but it's got nothing on the other four. Let's consider the new themes, for example...although it doesn't bother me, and I enjoy listening to it very much, "Across the Stars" is basically the Hook theme. The others are sad excuses for themes; the mystery motif is the six-note ostinato from The Fury, very simple, and no clear purpose (the mystery on Kamino or Anakin's missing mother?). The conflict theme has a more interesting melody but for some reason I just hate it...perhaps it's the low horn orchestrations, but I just find NOTHING interesting about it, sometimes I want to skip the end of "Ambush at Coruscant" or "Return to Tatooine" because of it. Previous themes aren't employed too well, even the Force theme is almost not awesome in some places. As for underscore, there's not much going on. The new style of battle music, with heavy percussion, was a nice experiment, but not a very successful one. That said, the last two tracks are amazing, especially if you've gone to the videogames or the DVD to get the complete versions of them. And now in then there's something great in the pre-Geonosis part of the soundtrack, the quote of "Across the Stars" in "Meadow Picnic" for example. The Federation March and the Imperial March ("Dawn of the Empire") are horribly misused, but the orchestrations of them are marvelous. Then there are factors that were out of Williams' control - the dull mix, the hiss (it's just unbelievable in "Anakin and Padme") and of course the whole Battle of Geonosis fiasco.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - ****

Most of the album material is good, as are a couple unreleased cues, but there are some really dull cues, and thankfully they were left off the album for the most part. It's a score of extremes, it's either "Fawkes the Phoenix" or "Hagrid Is Taken Away" (just made up that title, don't bother searching your complete DVD extracts).

Catch Me If You Can - ****

Well, I don't have this soundtrack, but from what I remember of the movie it was good... *shrug*

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - ****

Like the film, it has many excellent moments, but nothing connecting them. I was disappointed that Hedwig's Theme was neither a driving force nor a spine-tingling cameo (like, say, Luke's Theme in TPM), it's in that mushy middle. "Double Trouble" is completely messed up, it's all over the film for about twenty minutes, then it's gone. Though what could Williams have done? I really can't picture the theme in any of the scenes in the latter half of the film.

The Terminal - ****

A pretty cool score. I, um...thought the use of the wedding march in "The Wedding of Officer Torres" was cool. Normally, I hate overused melodies like that, but Williams orchestrated it well.

The Patriot ****

I came to know this score very early into my Williams fandom, which may explain while I'll never share the strong dislike and frustration many do for it. The love theme and main themes are all great, and used fairly well throughout the score. The end credits piece is one of Williams' finest, but the score suffers from some unmemorable underscore and action music.

A.I. ***1/2

Some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard (mostly from Monica's Theme). This is a pretty interesting score, with highlights like "Hide and Seek" and "The Search for the Blue Fairy."

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone *****

This is the first score I anticipated as a Williams fan, and it will always be special to me. It's the perfect fantasy score with plenty of themes ranging from good to classic, thrilling action music, heartfelt emotion, and fun.

Attack of the Clones***

I don't hate this score, but I don't love it either. The Love Theme is a great piece, as are some other parts of the score like "The Meadow Picnic" and "The Arena," but overall it's fairly unremarkable.

Minority Report **

I tried to listen to this the other day, and was more bored by it than I ever have been. It works great in the film, but there are very few parts that I enjoy purely as a listening experience.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ****

Again, Williams creates amazing themes, with "Fawkes the Phoenix" being among his best ever. Other people have said it well, the lacking underscore and adaptation of previous music taint this score (which functions much better on album than in the film).

Catch Me If You Can***

"The Float" and the title theme are very good, but I've never liked to listen to the Father's Theme. Pretty repetitive score.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ****1/2

Features some of Williams' most complex and interesting writing. The action music is fresh and gripping, the two new themes are perfect, and standalone pieces like "Buckbeak's Flight" and "Aunt Marge's Waltz" are just fantastic. But it's not held together quite as well as the original.

The Terminal ****

More colorful and varied than CMIYC. Navorski's theme is fun and the love theme is wonderful. I also really enjoy the rhythms and feel of tracks like "Finding Coins" and "The Wedding of Officer Torres."

Ray Barnsbury

You realize we're judging the score, not shrunken heads, don't you?

The Patriot ****

A.I. ****

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone *****

Attack of the Clones ***1/2

Minority Report ***

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets *****

Catch Me if you Can ****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ****1/2

The Terminal (haven't seen/heard)

Now for the films themselves:

The Patriot ***

A.I. **

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone **

Attack of the Clones *1/2

Minority Report ***

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets *

Catch Me if you Can ***

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban ***

The Terminal (haven't seen/heard)

Hmmm, I've noticed a pattern. Most of these films weren't very good.

The Patriot ****

A.I. ****

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone *****

Star Wars Attack of The Clones ****

Minority Report ****

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ****

Catch Me if you Can ****

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban *****

The Terminal *****

Justin - Suprised at how diffucult he found it rating some of these so low....

The Patriot***

Well,I remember when I first heard this score I was the first one who was unimpressed by it.After the great TPM we got something that sounded a bit warmed over from previous Williams score.The main theme is rather unimpressive and doesn't fit well into the film,and while the love theme is rather good,I would have hoped for a concert version of it that doesn't use the violin fiddle like in the End Credits.I just don't like violin solos all that much.Overall the scores has a few good tracks though,like the tragic writing in Parish Church Aflame(I'm expecting some of that in Episode 3),and odd moments here and there.

A.I,Artificial Intelligence.******

Maybe the most Oscar deserving score Williams has written since Shindler's List.I think it's brilliant for the most part,thanks to the fortunate leak of the complete score promo.One of Williams most emotionnal scores ever.Too bad the OST is badly constructed.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.****

Personally I think it's classic Williams,but maybe a notch below the 77-85 blockbuster years.Great great themes,but somewhat dissapointing in the underscore compared to earlier Williams work.In the film Hedwig's Theme is used too much with no real interesting variations in the first half of the film

Attack of the Clones:**1/2

A dissapointement here.Lackluster and uninspired underscore for the most part.The percussive driven Coruscant Chase doesn't work for me.The love theme lacks interest to be a truely great Williams piece.Some good moments,I love Yoda and the Younglings,the Arena,and The Finale tracks.Also that rousing version of the Trade Federation March is one of the high points of all the Prequels music so far.

Minority Report**

Hmm,listened to it twice.Can't stand it except the last track"A New Beginning"

CMIYC***

It's allright,but after a few listens The Float and Learning the Ropes are the only cues that stick out to be transfered to a "Best Of" Williams compilation

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets***1/2

Great new themes(Chamber,Fawkes,Dobby),which are new Williams instant classics.Flying Car is a great new set piece.One of the best album presentation of a Williams score ever,which even makes up for unreleased music in HPPS.One of the best Williams Finale ever(Reunion of Friends).The score in the movie comes off rather lame though,partly because of PS music re-hash(the Stone motif used instead of the Chamber motif),the AotC rip off(Quidditch and Lucius theme),and the very bad mix in the film.

Harry Potter and the Proisoner of Azcaban:****1/2

Mostly brilliant.I for one will say this score suffers GREATLY from it's current album release.The complete score is much more cohesive,with the Sirius theme and Peter Pettigrew motifs tying everything togheter nicely compared to the "scattered" effect of the OST,plus some great unreleased renditions of Double Trouble and the Past theme.The interest in the unreleased variations of these themes in much greater than the unreleased variations of Hedwig's Theme in PS for example.

Terminal

Great moments in an overall score that won't stand the test of time I'm afraid.Victor's Theme is already wearing thin for me,the love the is good but lacks the soaringness of previous Williams love themes.What is of note are the pleasent bouncy cues(Looking for work,Wedding of Officer Torres),and the lush orchestrations,and the little bursts of optimistic music that pop up now and then.

K.M.

A.I,Artificial Intelligence.******  

Maybe the most Oscar deserving score Williams has written since Shindler's List.I think it's brilliant for the most part,thanks to the fortunate leak of the complete score promo.One of Williams most emotionnal scores ever.Too bad the OST is badly constructed.  

Yeah, you really can't pass judgement on this score w/o hearing the promo, which contains so much more incredible material.

I don't know how I feel about this thread in general though. Capsule reviews have always sat poorly with me for some reason. Hmm, guess I'm just getting nostalgic for my old JWscorereview days...

:D

It's great for getting everyone's quick thoughts on all these scores. I've enjoyed reading them.

John- wishing more people would vote in the Best of 2004 thread.

You realize we're judging the score, not shrunken heads, don't you?

:D

I know. It's the continuity that's a problem to me. The score is very good, it has some great themes, but to me it's not Harry Potter and that takes off major points in my book. As you can see i don't like when things in HP change too much, that includes the music.

i don't like when things in HP change too much

"People can be very frightened of change."

Neil

Why change something that's already brilliant.

Yeah,sorry but the CoS movie kind of sucked . :mrgreen: So did the book,I almost quit the series because of it.I read the second half of CoS after I finished OotP.

K.M.

I like COS, and I plan to read it very soon as a refresher, and looking for clues to book 6.

I also like the movie, its every bit as good as the overrated POA.

These scores only take into consideration the Williams-composed material on the OSTs. Star-valued according to enjoyment: After 1st listen; After multiple listens; and a Year/more later. A classic score is worth six stars.

Angela's Ashes - ****; classic; classic

The Patriot - ***½; ****; ****½

A.I. Artificial Intelligence -

****; ****½; ****½

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone -

*****; ****½; ****½

Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones -

***½; ****; ****

Minority Report - **; ***; ****

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets -

***½; ***½; ***

Catch Me If You Can -