The Doctor Who Thread.....

Greg1138

46 minutes ago, TBO1711 said:

With only 2 months and 3 weeks to go until the 60th Specials still no news on Series 10 soundtrack

Maybe it'll come out closer to November with the presumably increased sales that'll come from the 60th merchandising wave

4 hours ago, TBO1711 said:

With only 2 months and 3 weeks to go until the 60th Specials still no news on Series 10 soundtrack

The most likely time for news about this would be around the upcoming Doctor Who concert at the end of September

So with the kerfuffle over Paramount's Star Trek day poster not featuring Kirk or Spock I thought back to the feeling that the 50th anniversary outside of Day of the Doctor being a little underwhelming. OTOH, I remember all of the poster art and soundtrack sets and such featuring all 11 Doctors.

Looking back, we had Day of the Doctor, various shorts, including Night of the Doctor. We had An Adventure in Space and Time. BBC (America?) did specials on EVERY Doctor and ran an episode of each. There was a really big soundtrack release (although it didn't have any new Murray Gold).

Other than "The show is starting again", what ARE they doing for the 60th, legacy-wise?

1 hour ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Three specials, with Tenant, Tate, Cribbins... and Langford.

That's plenty enough 🙂

That's... Cool? I mean, it is cool. But it's no Five Doctors.

I've a soft spot, for The Five Doctors.

We already had a sort of Five Doctors, in the last Whittaker story.

It would be great to see all surviving Doctors, but don't hold your breath.

I want to know what happened to Mel... and Sabalom Glitz.

1 minute ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

We already had a sort of 5 Doctors, in the last (thank fuck!!!) Whittaker story.

It would be great to see all surviving Doctors, but don't hold your breath.

I want to know what happened to Mel... and Sabalom Glitz.

More than fair. We'll see what they do. Right now it doesn't feel like "Hey, let's look back on Doctor Who" as much as "Hey, this was what was going on when RTD left the show and now he's back!"

We've been going back and forth between 10 and 11. I love Tennant (who is literally in everything we've been watching the last month: Doctor Who, Star Wars, Good Omens, DuckTales) and Silence in the Library is one of my favorite stories ever. But I'll take Moffat over RTD any day.

Maybe RTD can make some new magic. We'll see.

5 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Moffat had more brains, but RTD had more heart. 

I must be the only person in the entire world who doesn't think that BLINK is the best thing since sliced bread.

It's great. But it's not as good as Being Human / Family of Blood. And it should never have been revisited. (I think series 3 is wildly underrated.)

2 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Looking back, we had Day of the Doctor, various shorts, including Night of the Doctor.

this may be nonsense but i always thought Night of the Doctor would have been a cool surprise opener for Day of the Doctor. i was at the cinema, and i thought people would have lost their minds.

Agreed, @Brónach, "Night Of The Doctor" should have been the pre-title sequence, for the 50th anniversary special. Instead, we got some black and white thing that's meant to be some sort of homage to "An Unearthly Child".

Yeah, right ;)

Do you mean "Human Nature"/"Family Of Blood"?

You know where that comes from, don't you?

Right, sorry. It's a Seventh Doctor story from a book, isn't it?

52 minutes ago, Brónach said:

this may be nonsense but i always thought Night of the Doctor would have been a cool surprise opener for Day of the Doctor. i was at the cinema, and i thought people would have lost their minds.

Well, no. DotD is super tight and should not be messed with.

I'm STILL mad that the post I followed to the video had a headline like "SEE PAUL MCGANN'S TRIUMPHANT RETURN!" Dammit! We were watching all of the 50th shorts anyway. I would have watched it and it would have been the greatest twist since Arnold turned out to be the good guy in Terminator 2! (Oh, that one was spoiled too, wasn't it?)

oh Arnold is portrayed as sympathetic from the start, arguably

35 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Agreed, @Brónach, "Night Of The Doctor" should have been the pre-title sequence, for the 50th anniversary special. Instead, we got some black and white thing that's meant to be some sort of homage to "An Unearthly Child".

Yeah, right ;)

you could theoretically go from "not the doctor you're expecting" to the b/w title sequence. and from "the doctor no more" to clara somehow, i don't know how.

At the Day Of The Doctor cinema screening I was at, there was an intro with 10 and 11 taking the piss out of each other ('Not sure the 3D's a good idea with THAT chin' etc). I think it's on YouTube.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-50th-Anniversary-Collectors/dp/B00M40F018

They're on that. 

And yes about Osgood ... met Ingrid Oliver at a con, and also yes 'face-to-face'. Mrs Richard Osman now, BTW.  

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You can't say "Christmas" anymore, because it might upset non-Christians.

For fuck's sake.

This is the country that literally has a national religion, right?

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah, that's a stretch ... the Daleks and Cybermen are iconic. Beep The Meep has a smattering of appearances in comic-strips and Big Finish audio dramas. 

Agreed... and thank you for making Christmas great, again :)

lol, no worries. 

There's a chance the article was worded that way because the transmission date of Gatwa's first ep hasn't been settled on yet ... 'festive period' covers about a week-and-a-half's worth of possibilities. 

The BBC always uses 'festive period' to cater for any time in December or early January. Probably just allows them to not tie themselves down to scheduling.

Had to look up that Tennant's episodes are November. I notice WIkipedia currently says 'she instead regenerated into a form seemingly identical to the Tenth Doctor'. Is that DW nerds' way of not having come up with a convincing explanation of Tennant's Doctor having broken all of the laws of time and space again? :P

I wonder if it's a case of them finally (10 years on) making good on the Curator saying 'You might find yourself revisiting some of the old faces' in Day Of The Doctor. 

He does say "... just the old favourites, eh?"

I would have loved to have been in the cinema, when that voice says: "You know, I rather think you might". Audiences must have gone crazy. I still get chills watching it.

I went crazy just watching it in my house.

Was the man on speed, when he wrote this? It's raving fan-boy gibberish.

That's the point. He's trying to convey with writing what it's like trying to watch something with the mind of a producer and all the potential fan reactions to the episode

Agreed, but the are far more mature ways to describe what one sees.

It's ok for Herb Morrison to do that, but, as a writer for thirty years, I'd expect RTD to be a little bit more "grown up".

Still, what he lacks in vocabulary, he makes up for, in enthusiasm :)

Roll on November.

I have the latest issue of DW mag, but haven't gotten around to reading RTD's column yet. The Dalek inkwell and the Gallifreyan symbol instead of the apple on his laptop lid in the illustration that accompanies it are nice little touches.    

19 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Was the man on speed, when he wrote this? It's raving fan-boy gibberish.

He's writing stream-of-consciousness. As someone with ADHD I find it extremely relatable. He's watching and writing as a fan, as a producer, as a writer, all at the same time.

Loved his little comments about the series 10 soundtrack, lol. And the swipe at David's hair in the 50th (it really was awful, the only bad thing about it really).

Doctor Who Magazine is conducting a 60th anniversary poll ... the resulting favourite stories for each Doctor will go into a final, from which an overall winner will emerge. 

Amusingly (and unsurprisingly), bottom of the pile for Thirteen was Orphan 55. Also 'circling the drain' were Legend Of The Sea Devils, Praxeus and The Battle Of Ranskoor Av Kolos. So eco-preachy episodes, an underwhelming season finale and a special that (amongst other things) made poor use of a classic monster all badly received. Seems about right to me. 

Top three were Power Of The Doctor, Haunting Of Villa Diodati and Fugitive Of The Judoon.     

"Orphan 55" reminds me of "Terror Of The Vervoids", and "The Greatest Show In The Galaxy", with a hint of "Delta And The Bannermen" (all three of which are infinitely superior, by the way :)).

I did like the top three mentioned. I also liked "Nikola Tesla's Night Of Terror" (mainly for Robert Glenister).

As for the 60th anniversary poll: I predict the top-5 will consist of:

"The Caves Of Androzani"

"Genesis Of The Daleks"

"Day Of The Doctor"

"Blink"

"The Dæmons"