73 members have voted

1. 1.

• AI
    • Harry Potter

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Newbie, I'd just like to say that Morn is 100% correct. Of course A.I.'s better!

Harry Potter's very good, of course, but the action is rather... similar to certain previous *cough* Lost World *cough* Williams scores.  

Oh, and I'm very happy to announce that I'll be attending a Cleveland Orchestra concert featuring the Maestro himself.   ;)

Congrats on the concert! I'm going as well, as are Harry Potter and a few others from the board. If you haven't already read it, there's a thread about it called July 28 Cleveland Concert Program. :)

Ray Barnsbury

Unlike Dan Rather and Peter Jennings, I'm not calling this race.

It's still too close to call.

Jeff -- who would be happy with either score winning at this point (though A.I. is still a better score). ;)

I may get burned by this, but I think the recent williams is way better than the williams of the early 80's (which was also brilliant)

And I may or may not get burned by this, but I think the recent Williams is way worse than the Williams of the late 70s to early 80s (most specifically, 1977-1984), and not because he has a more 'mature style' like some say (I think his style has been very mature for more than 30 years), but because his latest efforts lack the brilliance and genious of his scores from the 'golden era' (by far).

Just my opinion :)

I'm not quite as critical of Williams's '90's efforts as Ricard is. O.K., scratch that -- the 1990's is by far my favorite decade of JW compositions.

But then...the millenium hit (starting with 2001), and somehow JW has completely lost his touch. His scores are still above-average, but they're certainly nothing near the stuff that got me into his music in 1997 (when I started collecting soundtracks).

I'm not quite as critical of Williams's '90's efforts as Ricard is.  O.K., scratch that -- the 1990's is by far my favorite decade of JW compositions.

But then...the millenium hit (starting with 2001), and somehow JW has completely lost his touch.  His scores are still above-average, but they're certainly nothing near the stuff that got me into his music in 1997 (when I started collecting soundtracks).

Hmm... I started collecting soundtracks in the late 70's to early 80's, and I think that's his best era.

More evidence that shows my theory to have some merit. The ones you get started on are often your faves... :)

Hmm... I started collecting soundtracks in the late 70's to early 80's, and I think that's his best era.

More evidence that shows my theory to have some merit. The ones you get started on are often your faves...

Allow me to defy that theory. I started collecting Williams stuff with ANH in 1977 and yet I think his 90s and 2000s stuff is his best work overall.

-Strilo, who hates the fact that Williams doesn't seem to perform anywhere on the West Coast.

:) "Fluffy's Harp" Harry Potter and the Sorceror's Stone

I see it's about 50-50.No wonder Williams lost the Oscar to one of them.BTW I voted for A.I.,but like Potter a lot too.

K.M.

• 5 years later...

Forgive me for resurrecting another old thread, but, half a decade and four Harry Potter scores later, I wonder if A.I. would still come out on top in this poll. Anyway, I don't remember what I voted now -- probably A.I. -- but, looking back now, I find that what characterizes both of these scores is their thematic brilliance. As skillful and competent as John Powell and Mark Isham are as composers for film, taken together they've penned fewer memorable themes in their careers than Williams did in 2001 alone. For a film that will likely go largely forgotten, at least in the public consciousness, Williams composed what are in my judgment two of his finest melodies in "Monica's Theme" and "The Search for the Blue Fairy." (Say what you will about the sentimentality of "Monica's Theme," but the breathtaking end credits vocalise is one of the gems of his career.) And for Potter, we get the indubitable classic, "Hedwig's Theme," among other things.

Having said this, I hardly ever listen to either of these albums in their entirety, because, as a whole, they're only fitfully interesting. And that goes for most of this decade's works.

I vote AI. I think it was perhaps one of williams truly unique and fresh scores... not to mention the material he had to cover...

How do you make an audience love a Robot Boy?

And on top of that, the harships he had to endure to become "human."

Harry Potter is great and all, but it's a far less adventurous or difficult emotion to capture compared to "Abandoned in the Woods" or "Search for the Blue Fairy."

Not to mention "For Always" has always been one of my favourite pieces and really turned me onto Lara Fabian who is an amazing artist.

As much as I enjoy Harry Potter, as a composer, I can only imagine the difficulty in having to capture the emotions of AI compared to the slightly less difficult emotions of Harry Potter.

Harry Potter had it's moments and is very much a lush and well done score. Brilliant yes....

But AI I still feel is in a league of its own... with War of the Worlds, Jurassic Park, the original Star Wars... maybe even Jaws or ET...

I mean, how do you compose music thats futuristic, humanistic, has many tones and colors, still makes the audience connect with a character that's not human, and then by the end enable them to feel what he is feeling when his wishes come true?

As opposed to writing music for witches (which Williams has done before) that's about children (which already has an alure to it) that go to a school (again, Goodbye Mr. Chips anyone) that celebrate christmas (home alone anyone?) and then have some tense moments...

It's a great score, but it's more familiar territory to tread and far easier to do and make relateable.

So I pick AI

A.I. on an emotional scale. It's very complex, very brilliant.

Harry Potter is good-time fun. Genius writing, of course, but doesn't dig as deep.

My thoughts exactly. I love both scores, but I would say that A.I. is better than HP, just bcause it seems a little more original. But as for my favorite, Harry Potter is overall a more enjoyable listen. So I guess they're really tied. :blink:

Ray Barnsbury

Oh, young Ray! So fucking diplomatic. Good thing I can form an opinion now. Which is Harry Potter, by the way, as if that's a surprise to anyone.

Ray Barnsbury

But AI I still feel is in a league of its own... with War of the Worlds, Jurassic Park, the original Star Wars... maybe even Jaws or ET...

War of the Worlds? That's my least favorite JW soundtrack to date.

As opposed to writing music for witches (which Williams has done before) that's about children (which already has an alure to it) that go to a school (again, Goodbye Mr. Chips anyone) that celebrate christmas (home alone anyone?) and then have some tense moments...

The subject matter is not as important in a movie, when it comes to music. It's the overall mood to the movie. For instance, take Edward Scissorhands and Beetlejuice. Same composer, same director, and same genre (fantasy), and yet, the scores are very different. Beetlejuice's mood is a fun, funny, less dramatic type of movie, and so is the score. Edward Scissorhands is a dramatic tradegy, with very symbolic and meaninful messages and meanings. The score is sad, beautiful, and while it make be a bit funny at times, the majority of its music, as well as its most memorable pieces are the sad/beautiful ones. And even the funny parts are not as bold and loud as those in Beetlejuice.

Overall, it isn't the subject that defines what the score should sound like--it's the director's vision, or the overall mood of the movie.

true... but notice that those sounds are still sounds Williams had done... sounds he's familiar with and capable of and has produced before... which is exactly my point.

AI, like War of the Worlds, Jurassic Park, Star Wars, Jaws, ET... were completely new for him... very fresh and very much "in a league of their own" which is what I said... not that they are his best scores... but that they do stand out the most.

Harry Potter is a great score, with great tone, technique, and amazing style... but as I said, it's areas he's covered.

I said witches because it has that sort of chromatic off beat dark feel at times, I said school because Goodbye Mr. Chips has some influences both being about children (which changes Williams sound) and also about schooling in an almost british school, and then you have the Christmas/childhood influence which is exemplified through the use of similar sounds to Home Alone.

I'm not saying he's plagiarizing himself, I'm saying that he's using sounds he's already established.

AI was a new sound. Something he'd never really explored before... and to me, that says more about the score than anything else. That he was capable of both capturing an extremely difficult subject matter, create a brilliant and beautiful score, and still have it be completely new.

That, to me, makes AI stand out more than Harry Potter, even though HP is one of his best scores ever.

AI was a new sound. Something he'd never really explored before... and to me, that says more about the score than anything else. That he was capable of both capturing an extremely difficult subject matter, create a brilliant and beautiful score, and still have it be completely new.

A.I. definitely explores a few new sounds, as far as Williams is concerned, but the majority of the score is actually rather familiar territory. And it's also arguable that though the film raises "difficult subject matter," Williams fails to really engage it.

Well, it may have a different sound, but in terms of listening to, I would pick Potter over A.I. anyday.

Indy4 - who's favorite cue from A.I. is "Hide and Seek" or "The Reunion"

Harry Potter is good-time fun. Genius writing, of course, but doesn't dig as deep.

This is exactly how I feel. I love both scores but I voted for AI.

This is exactly how I feel. I love both scores but I voted for AI.

Are you the same Strilo that wrote the following five years ago?

Merkel you are not the only one who thinks newer Williams is better in many ways than older Williams. I agree with you. While the impact and popularity of his scores from 1977-1984 cannot be denied, I truly think a significant part of the "magic" and impact that these scores have comes from the films. A lot of the films from this era are cinematic classics that were more than just a movie, they were a pop cultural phenomenon. E.T., Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Jaws... they were all top grossing films that coined the term blockbuster and changed the face of cinema forever. I know people will try to say that the scores alone, away from the movies, are amazing in their own right. These people are right to a point. However, one cannot truly separate the film from the score with any real success when the films are as good and impacting as these films were.

For me, starting with Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and going through present day is the period of the most diverse, creative, complex, interesting and amazing scores by John Williams. I own probably twice as many scores from this era as I do from 1977 - 1984.

-Strilo, who is also "old" yet still prefers newer Williams

I don't quite agree. I do still think that Williams run from '99-'05 (hopefully to be continued in '08 with Indy 4) was his best since the Golden Years of '75-'84, the Golden Years are still superior.

Yes Jurassic Park is one of his finest works, along with Home Alone and Hook. I don't own Schindler's List, but I'm sure I would love if I did.

Yes Jurassic Park is one of his finest works, along with Home Alone and Hook. I don't own Schindler's List, but I'm sure I would love if I did.

Wow, I never realized you didn't own Schindler's List. You might want to add that to your recently ordered soundtracks.