ROTS will dissapoint.

Of course I have not listened to the 60 second preview, not the TV ad, not the ringtone.  

Any believe to the contrary is a grave mistake...  

this thread was intended to be an ironic hyperboly on the mindless praising on the basis of the extremely little we have been allowed to hear.

Hah! I knew it!

I haven't listened either :)

thoroughly(spelling?, Herr Lotman care to correct please?)

You have spelt... wisely.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do some people have to be so negative?

Be happy!!! We're all here to celebrate the genuis that is John Williams.. :)ROTFLMAO

lalalalalala *dances*

Be happy!!! We're all here to celebrate the genuis that is John Williams..    

sometimes genius :)

Ahem. Always genius: the highly unintelligent tubes that connect our ears to our underdeveloped brains obviously are nary smart enough to hear the genius that goes into everything John Horatio Umberto Williams does. Get your facts right. And those are the two middle names that I believe are most fitting to Mr. Williams. :)ROTFLMAO

And those are the two middle names that I believe are most fitting to Mr. Williams.  

Seconded. All in favor?

Williams referenced The Planets in his score for Star Wars, so it's not so strange that he would go to Shore's LOTR scores for inspiration. So far the only true epic sage of the new century.

It's great to finally see that truly epic herb sage finally get recognised other than the fact that it makes a great stuffing for my turkeys. The Birds, that is. Not my movies.

Hitch, poking fun again at Steef. Sorry man...can't resist it! :)

Why do some people have to be so negative?

Be happy!!! We're all here to celebrate the genuis that is John Williams.. :)ROTFLMAO

lalalalalala *dances*

Good morning. I thought I was the brains behind this outfit. Pity I can't find a jumpsuit that fits me properly. :cry:

Hitch

I guess hoby 12 was joking too?

k.m.

No - I wasn't. Hard to judge a 60 second clip though. I just think that theme is weak. But still no doubt John Williams is DA man. One day I am going to track him down at Costco ( i have heard there have been many sightings of him there :) ). I will push his cart for him while he buys pistachios and soy milk.

I wonder to what track title 'Anakin's Dark Deeds' refers. Maybe he will rape Padme, which would be an explanation for why Padme gets children from the already transformed Anakin, and also why it will be pg rated.

I wonder to what track title 'Anakin's Dark Deeds' refers. Maybe he will rape Padme, which would be an explanation for why Padme gets children from the already transformed Anakin, and also why it will be pg rated.

she's already pregnant as the story unfolds. Star Wars films have always been pg, this one looks like pg 13.

Ahem. Always genius: the highly unintelligent tubes that connect our ears to our underdeveloped brains obviously are nary smart enough to hear the genius that goes into everything John Horatio Umberto Williams does. Get your facts right. And those are the two middle names that I believe are most fitting to Mr. Williams. :)  ROTFLMAO

excuse but I heard AOTC, and there was no genius behind that work.

Ahem. Always genius: the highly unintelligent tubes that connect our ears to our underdeveloped brains obviously are nary smart enough to hear the genius that goes into everything John Horatio Umberto Williams does. Get your facts right. And those are the two middle names that I believe are most fitting to Mr. Williams. 8O  8O

Well excuse me, but have you seen this movie? It takes more than a genius to compose good music to that!

Alex, if a great actor like Patrick Stewart can give a great performance in a mediocre film like Nemesis,

then a "genius" composer like Williams could have created a great score. I mean he wrote a great score to a bad film like the Fury, he wrote a great score to a mediocre film like Jaws 2, and he wrote a very good score to the uber awful A.I., but somehow he wrote a score for AOTC that was worse than the movie.

...he wrote a great score to a bad film like the Fury

The Fury is a wonderful film with a great score.

...he wrote a score for AOTC that was worse than the movie.

I don't know if I'd go that far. It's a disappointing score while the movie is an utter waste of time.

Neil

Alex, if a great actor like Patrick Stewart can give a great performance in a mediocre film like Nemesis,  

then a "genius" composer like Williams could have created a great score.  I mean he wrote a great score to a bad film like the Fury, he wrote a great score to a mediocre film like Jaws 2, and he wrote a very good score to the uber awful A.I., but somehow he wrote a score for AOTC that was worse than the movie.

Composing is not the same as acting. I wouldn't compare those two. And who knows what Patrick Stewart likes or not. I think he really believed in Nemesis during the shooting of the film. After all, many actors don't know how a movie will turn out untill they see it in the theatre. Actors can only give their best and hope the result will be good in the end.

However, you're right about Jaws 2, but that film came when he was at his creative peak. Any artist has a creative peak. Plus, I would rather do the soundtrack to Jaws 2 than to AOTC. I guess John saw the static & forced emotions of that film and sadly translated them to music. I completely understand if Williams didn't find himself very inspired by AOTC. I know I wouldn't be. BTW, who would love to write music when most of the time all you see is a green screen?

Anyhow, that's exactly the reason why I want Williams to do new and other kind of movies, so that his genius gets provoked and challenged. When you write music as long as John has been doing your enthusiasm gets a little chilled. Remember, this is not the young and eager Williams conquering the movie world. And AOTC is not the right fuel to stir up the fire again.

---------------

Alex Cremers

Is it too modern? I think it is a mammoth display of Williams' sense of rhythm, harmony, and orchestrational invention. The score has its own distinct sound. It is less classical overall than the Harry Potter Scores and the previous Star Wars soundtracks. But it is just as good as "Catch Me If You Can" if you don't WANT it to sound like the other Star Wars scores. Besides that, I think the fact that it is unfinished and that TPM was used in the film is a major factor in fan snub of this soundtrack. If you need proof that this score contains genius, watch the making of the score segment online. The live performance of the Coruscant Chase reveals one of the most amazing orchestral performances I've ever seen. The Golden Age middle section of the Love Theme is perfect. And even the action tracks that initially felt a little wanting are actually very catchy: Jango's Escape, Bounty Hunter's Pursuit, Conveyor Belt, The Arena... Its very hard for me to say this score is more lacking than TPM. AOTC has BALLS. TPM is a bit on the safer side, but a little "classier". TPM is a little more kiddish of a score. AOTC is a razor sharp score of modern design and successfully breaking the mold. It isn't too far out there, but just enough to be a little too "non star warsy" for many listeners.

Again, I think many people are very dissappointed by the music as heard in the film, and the incompleteness of the soundtrack. There is very little dramatic climax, because Williams never really finished it. If Williams had scored the climax of the film, and we had a complete score, I bet it would be a favorite. Also, admit that you just don't like the scenes the music accompanies, and that it slightly effects your appraisal of the music. That ALWAYS makes alot of people like the music less, especially if they were hoping for scenes they liked a lot. There are certain people here who like JW music partially for the feeling the movie gave them. In the case of Hook, we could forgive the bad story and acting because we weren't expecting so much. But Star Wars is painted in a corner by the other scores - we expect a certain flavor to re-emerge - and I think it was brave for Williams to treat AOTC as another assignment. The result was a different sound type that did have links to the other scores. Now if this sound type was for a different picture, we might have embraced it. People are split on Minority Report, but with less of an air of controversy surrounding the choices Williams made. To me it is another great feat, and a brave move on Williams' part. AOTC is also a brave move, therefore does not always aim to please the devourer of melody and classicism.

JoeinAr wrote:

...he wrote a score for AOTC that was worse than the movie.

I don't know if I'd go that far. It's a disappointing score while the movie is an utter waste of time.  

Neil

see I would say it this way, its a disappointing film while the score is an utter waste of time.

Me personally, I like Across the Stars, but I'd find more to appreciate about it if it weren't a carbon copy of that one theme from Hook. But I still like it. And I like the whole AotC score. The way I see it, most all of us could never, ever compose something like John did for AotC. Whether we like a score or not, it doesn't mean that it wasn't hard work to compose. I commend John for creating the perfectly, acceptably good score that is AotC.

I like Across the Stars, but I'd find more to appreciate about it if it weren't a carbon copy of that one theme from Hook.

I've heard this so many times, but what theme from Hook are we actually talking about?

The theme in the prologue. It is an identical theme contour-wise besides the second note, which in ATS is a minor 6th jump then down to the tonic, but in the prologue, it's a perfect 4th jump to the tonic, and repeats the tonic; as well as other similarities such as a descending triplets (iconic of Star Wars ironically), as well as the second half of the theme venturing upward.

I just played them on the piano just to convince myself of something I already knew; those pieces are vastly different! I've heard people comparing Across The Stars to the Amazing Stories theme, to The Face Of Pan and others and although there are SOME similarities the idea that it is a 'carbon copy' is not true.

No no, no... Can't Across The Stars just be Across The Stars?

You'll always find some similarities between pieces (especially coming from the same composer!), but why do John Williams fans in particular have this obsessive need to claim that two different pieces are IDENTICAL to one another?

???? The Imperial March I can understand, especially in the Miami Convention track, although it never becomes a carbon copy or anything. It's more similatities in the soundscape, the opening of the Nixon theme that suggests Vader's Theme.

As for Across The Stars I can only give you the following thought-out, intellectual response:

????

I'm sorry, I only heard Nixon once and forgot it right after. I will check it as soon as I buy it.

In The Turbulent Years at 2 minutes 35 seconds and again at 2 minutes 57 seconds.

Would you mind detailing which parts of ATS those sections correspond with? I kind of hear a vague similarity, but not exactly sure where it lies.

I'm sorry, I only heard Nixon once and forgot it right after. I will check it as soon as I buy it.

It's a pretty good score, got about 4-5 tracks of good, solid, Williams material.

It's a pretty good score, got about 4-5 tracks of good, solid, Williams material.

Actually I was really planning to buy it although it's not one of my priorities.

I like Across the Stars, but I'd find more to appreciate about it if it weren't a carbon copy of that one theme from Hook.

I've heard this so many times, but what theme from Hook are we actually talking about?

Its funny you say that Roald because even you said it sounded like Hook, and I think you even started a thread about it.

I prefer to call it the Love Theme from AOTC, because no where on my cd does it say Across the Stars.

I prefer to call it the Love Theme from AOTC, because no where on my cd does it say Across the Stars.

Yes it does.

|02| Across the Stars (Love Theme from Attack of the Clones)

They excluded that information cos it's not actually the first Across the Stars theme of the Star Wars saga. In the new ROTS score, Williams and Lucas described Battle of the Heroes as the first "true" Across the Stars theme.

It has to mean that Yoda vs Palpatine and Anakin vs Obi Wan Is the battle of the heroes since it happens in two different locations, meaning the heroes are Yoda and Kenobi, not anakin, who is not a hero on this movie...)

Joe and I agree on something about this. Amazing. :(

And the Love Theme does have some basis in Luke's Theme, and it has to be entirely deliberate on Williams' part. It's where Luke comes from after all. Many prequel themes have roots in OT themes.

John- who knows he's typed this before. :)

he is sort of at the start, but Anakin=Vader is such a sad sad leap