The Oboe

Ray Barnsbury

Over the last year or so, I've come to realize that I absolutely love the sound of the oboe. Williams writes lovely oboe lines, such as the opening solos of the love themes from Superman and AotC, and there's a lot of beautiful oboe parts I enjoy in JNH's work as well. Does anyone have any recommendations of scores, pieces, or classical works that prominently feature the oboe? :mrgreen:

Ray Barnsbury

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Princess Leia's theme has some nice oboe and English horn lines. I personally prefer the English horn to the oboe; there is a lovely E.H. solo in Dvorak's Ninth Symphony and some nice E.H. writing in both the Star Wars "Tatooine music" and in early portions of Raiders of the Lost Ark, where it plays the medallion theme.

Jerry Goldsmith's "Star Trek Insurrection" has a really pretty oboe solo in the End Credits track. I've always remembered it.

There is a Violin Concerto by Samuel Barber that, in the 2nd movement has a goergeous oboe solo. I think Goldsmith likes to use the oboe a lot, but I can't name any other specific scores...can't remember.

There is a Violin Concerto by Samuel Barber that, in the 2nd movement has a goergeous oboe solo. I think Goldsmith likes to use the oboe a lot, but I can't name any other specific scores...can't remember.

You're right,the barber concerto has a great oboe solo in the 2nd mvt.But a very tricky trumpet part in the 3rd...i had to play it a couple of months ago :? But overall it's a great piece.I hear a lot of Goldsmith in that piece..or is it the oposite...

Richard

I'm also becoming more interested in the sound of the oboe. It's used in alot of emotional, beautiful melodies in various songs. Sometimes, a very slow and simple melody for the oboe can speak (or play) volumes!

Stepmom has some lovely solos for Oboe.

But the most beautiful of them all is of course Morricone's Gabriel's Oboe from The Mission!

A truly beautiful instrument, one of my favourites from the orchestra (along with the bassoon and timpani - I have strange tastes). I'd love to hear more extensive use by Williams - ATS was great, but not enough.

Magical_Me - Back from a four week hiatus. I was on holiday for two weeks, and for another two my keyboard was broken.

Somewhat unrelated, but the oboe professor at my school frequently works with John Williams when he scores in Hollywood. I know for a fact he worked on CMIYC, and has worked on lots of other film scores (Williams or not), but I don't know which ones they are off hand.

Completely agree with the 'Angels In America' reference.

I think Thomas Newman uses the oboe well in many of his scores. Try 'The Green Mile'. The end credits of the film are scored but this music wasn't released on the OST. I'd urge you to listen to the oboe's use in the final two mins of the credits.

Give 'Meet Joe Black' - or rather its music - a go too.

Goldsmith's use of the oboe in his Rambo scores, I like.

I feel a bit guilty now for having come up with anything by JW that hasn't already been mentioned!

APBez

Ray:

Here are some classical pieces I would recommend that you check out.

Saint Saens--Sonata por hautbois

Telemann--Concerto in F minor

Mozart--Concerto for Oboe

Roata--Elegia

Copeland--Quiet City

Bozza-- Shepards of Province

Godard-- Legende Pastorale

Handel-- Sonata for Oboe

Hanson--Pastorale

Ravel--Sicilienne

Just thought I would throw those in. Sorry for the intruption for classical pieces instead of film pieces. ;-)

-jwfan4life

Clasically, I believe it is used extensively in the 2nd movement of the New World. Absolutely gorgeous.

It is also used quite beautifully, I believe, in Trinity Definitely from Matrix Revolutions, as well as the Cast Away theme.

And I just remembered that I'm the only one who likes the Matrix Revolutions, which I still don't understand. Both the movie and score are amazing.

And I just remembered that I'm the only one who likes the Matrix Revolutions, which I still don't understand. Both the movie and score are amazing.

I love them (both movie and score), having ranked them among the best of 2003. So don't worry, you're not alone. :)

Williams (the smartest), Goldsmith (most original) and Morricone's (most lyrical) use of oboe is the best in film music.

8O Marco Polo, by Ennio Morricone (with good oboe parts, btw)

I can't say that I agree that The Matrix Revolutions is one of the best films of 2003.

The score however, is excellent IMO.

8O The Cafeteria - North By Northwest - Bernard Herrmann :)

The Matrix Revolutions score is great. The film has some great ideas in it (better than Reloaded), but wants to be too big and has too many characters that we're supposed to care about pushing the main characters from the first film aside (The Kid and Niobe being the worst).

Mahler's use of the Oboe was audacious - particularly as part of his mammoth 3rd Symphony, during the wonderful 1st movement (Pan Awakes/What Nature Tells Me). My favourite symphony of course!