ROTS: Does the Music Match the Track Titles?

tpigeon

I'm beginning to wonder how faithful these track titles are to the contained in them. We all know Revenge of the Sith doesn't match the six minutes of score after tha main title, since that german tv clips confirmed that at least a good portion of it is for the opening space battle. Just thinking back to the other prequel soundtracks, I remember a great deal of cues that haven't matched the titles of the tracks. For example, the Birth of the Twins cue I am very skeptical about.

Maybe I'm wrong, and I know I haven't seen the film, but I can't imagien this as teh music. It sounds to me almost like music fitting for Qui-Gon speaking with Yoda or something. That's the only track that really bothers me, but I wonder about the titles to other like Grevious Speaks to Lord Sidious and Grevious and the Droids, and the Anakin's Dream cue sounds like ti could be asorted underscore cues for Anakin and Padme simply edited to one cue. It really makes me wonder.

Ted

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anakin's Dream is "Scenes and Dreams" with about 1:30-2 minutes edited out of it, including the statement of Anakin's Theme. The description of it in the score reports and the track match up very well.

It sounds like there are 3 different cues after the Main Title on Track 1. I'm sure part of it is from the opening space battle.

I think the last part of Greivous Speaks... is a different cue, probably from much later in the film. It just has that feel.

The Birth of the Twins could easily be Plans for the Twins, I'm thinking that's just as if not more likely.

What's bothering me is how much of the big duel we're probably missing according to the reports and cue sheets. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan matches the description of "Heroes Collide" (the ESB lifts), which is the cue that opens the duel, then we have nothing until The Immolation Scene.

I think Anakin's Dark Deeds is when he kills Padme (highlight spoiler) as the brass kicks in.

In an Entertainment Weekly article on ROTS it said there were five lisht saber duels.

I'm thinking:

-Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

-Mace Windu and the other Jedi vs. Palpatine

-Yoda vs. Palpatine

Is the Immlation Scene a light saber duel? What else would there be? Greivous vs. someone?

~Sturgis

I think Anakin's Dark Deeds will likely be the music for when Anakin goes to the Jedi Temple and slaughters the Jedi and the Younglings. Enter Lord Vader , the end at least, sounds like it could be the moment of truth between Palpatine and Mace when Anakin decides to fulfill his destiny. That string motif which builds to the Imperial March sounds like the unleashing, then the distant Force theme as Mace plumits to his death, then a rendtion of the Emperor's Theme as Anakin kneels before his Master. Never know.

Ted

Beyond that, there is also the occasional use of lightsabers in defence and carnage.

BTW, Birth of the Twins sounds like it might be that cue actually. During the scene Padmé is dying and barely conscious. The music focuses on her rather than on the twins.

Or it could be mislabeled. I guess we'll see.

- Marc

I think Anakin's Dark Deeds is when he kills Padme. Their emotion mounts as the music grows, then he finishes her off as the brass kicks in.

Regarding Anakin's Dark Deeds, I agree that that is the second half of the cue. The first half - perhaps Anakin's slaughter of the Confederate leaders - after all, it's not very tragic-sounding, considering the Confederacy are scum, but still dark for Anakin.

I have a feeling that depending on the mood and execution of the scene, the beginning of "Palpatine's Teachings" could be the water ballet scene in the opera house, with all the harmonic overtones sounding over the male choir chanting. Then perhaps the cue cold even be unedited. Just a thought.

five lightsaber duels...

1. Anakin vs. Dooku

2. Obi-Wan vs. Grievous

3. Yoda vs. Palpatine

4. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan

5. Mace vs. Palpy

Why doesn't he keep her as a sex slave or something? She is incredibly hot.

Oh. Maybe it's a little one-sided after his soiree with a volcano.

The first half - perhaps Anakin's slaughter of the Confederate leaders.

Wait, Anakin kills Jefferson Davis?

Who exactly are the Confederacy in Star Wars (I've been rather out-of-touch lately). :music:

~Sturgis

The cue that accompanies the killing of Padme has been described as involving a dark counterpointing of Across the Stars and the Imperial March. I guessed for this reason that it wasn't on the album, and thought that 'Anakin's Dark Deeds' - the second half of it, would accompany ***SPOILER **** Obi-wan viewing the hologram record of Anakin's slaughter of the Younglings *** END SPOILER***. That final burst of a section of Battle of the Heroes in the trumpets at the end would be very suitable for Obi-wan's resolution to find and defeat Anakin.

Hmmm... Well I've read the script rundown months ago, and just recently the comic/graphic novel adaptation, and the novelization. The music appears to be TOTALLY patchwork of two or three different scenes in each track. I'm quite saddened that it appears that some of the most climatic moments are not included on this soundtrack, but not surprised, as it was expected. Either this, or SMALL parts of them are placed throughout the soundtrack. The parts that I can fit sound spectacular. Other parts I'm having a hard time fitting exactly where it goes... but all of the music is brilliant.

I have no idea why some people have said that this score is underwhelming or disappointing. This is far and away the best score in years. The whole score may indeed rival Empire Strikes Back as my favorite, but even now, as incomplete as it is, it’s my favorite original soundtrack release in YEARS. Maybe even SINCE ESB. I like it that much. I can't stop listening to it. Here are some of my predictions...

SPOILER ALERT! PLEASE DO NOT READ IF YOU HATE SPOILERS:

The Immolation Scene may (obviously) have something to do with dead Jedi bodies. Burning them. Heheh. Possibly the scene where Obi-Wan and Yoda observe the hologram of Anakin's destruction. Then again, that seems like (at least partially) Anakin's Betrayal to me. These tracks have Schindler's List feel to them. They are very, very good.

I also believe Anakin's Dark Deeds may be one of those multiple-edit cues. It may have pieces of Palpatine vs. Mace & the Jedi posse, Anakin slaughtering Jedi, and maybe even Anakin killing the Separatist leaders. I believe the ending is where we see the door close as Anakin ignites his lightsaber in a room full of Younglings. It does NOT have the feel of Anakin strangling Padme. It just doesn't feel like that. No way. Like someone else said... it's probably going to mix more of the Love Theme vs. Vader's theme.

Enter Lord Vader does seem to wrap up (at least partially) underscoring the pivotal moment in the Windu/Palpatine/Anakin conflict. The Force theme dying into the Emperor's theme is magnificent. However, I believe that this is another mix-match track that also includes music from Anakin’s Dark Deeds.

Anakin vs. Obi-Wan seems like its either the beginning or middle part of the Duel. A small portion of it seems to sound like it partially underscores the Yoda vs. Sidious duel as well. I believe that most of these two dramatic scenes are not on this CD, which kind of sucks, but (as with every "original" Star Wars soundtrack since the Star Wars 2-LP) was expected.

As a final note, did anybody notice the official soundtrack PDF on the main page? The track titles in that?!

1. Star Wars and The Revenge Of

The Sith

2. Anakin’s Betrayal

3. Battle Of The Heroes

4. Anakin’s Dream

5. The Reunion Of Anakin And Padme

6. Welcome, Lord Vader

7. Padme’s Ruminations

8. Grevious Travels To Palpatine

9. I Am The Senate

10. General Grevious

11. Palpatine’s Dark Teachings

12. Anakin vs. Obi-wan

13. Anakin’s Dark Deeds

14. The Immolation Scene

15. The Birth Of The Twins and

Padme’s Destiny

16. A New Hope and End Credits

16 tracks? No Grievous and the Droids? I Am The Senate? The Reunion Of Anakin And Padme? This order different than the advance copy so far? I really feel like this may be a clue into exclusive tracks at different stores. Wal-Mart? iTunes? Other stores? Or is this official PDF so early that the tracks have been changed to the promo/preview that we’ve all heard? I like the above order better myself, but the advance copy we seem to have has better named track titles.

Here is my current preferred listening order with the preview mp3s:

01. Star Wars and The Revenge Of The Sith (7:31) –Seems to partially underscore several of the early battle scenes.

02. Anakin's Dream (4:46)

13. Grievous Speaks to Lord Sidious (2:49) –Possibly before Anakin’s Dream. Novel and comic say different.

06. Palpatine's Teachings (5:25)

08. Padme's Ruminations (3:17) –I can’t place this one 100%. Maybe after The Immolation Scene too.

07. Grievous and the Droids (3:28) –Seems to partially underscore when Obi-Wan falls into the Droid Army trap.

05. General Grievous (4:07) –Seems to partially underscore Obi-Wan vs. Grevious fight & chase scenes.

11. Enter Lord Vader (4:14) –Said above.

10. Anakin's Dark Deeds (4:05) –Said above.

04. Anakin's Betrayal (4:04) –Said above.

12. The Immolation Scene (2:42) –Said above.

03. Battle Of The Heroes (3:42) –Likely a concert arrangement. Possibly parts of used as a “source” cue in the movie.

09. Anakin vs. Obi-Wan (3:57) –Said above.

14. The Birth Of The Twins and Padme's Destiny (3:37)

15. A New Hope and End Credits (13:06) –My only problem with the CD (other than being short) is Leia’s and elongated Throne Room concert themes. I would have preferred an all-out bash of themes that included Anakin-to-Vader’s Theme myself. I can’t complain too much though. The rest of the music is absolutely stunning.

As for the possible two “bonus cues” as we’ve seen in some reports, here’s my preferred/partial predicted order if I had them all:

1. Star Wars and The Revenge Of The Sith

2. The Reunion Of Anakin And Padme (Bonus track?)

3. Grevious Speaks To Palpatine

4. Anakin’s Dream

5. Palpatine’s Dark Teachings

6. Padme’s Ruminations

7. Grievous and the Droids

8. General Grevious

9. Enter Lord Vader

10. Anakin’s Dark Deeds

11. Anakin’s Betrayal

12. The Immolation Scene

13. I Am The Senate (Bonus track?)

14. Battle Of The Heroes

15. Anakin vs. Obi-wan

16. The Birth Of The Twins and Padme’s Destiny

17. A New Hope and End Credits

Obviously, not seeing the actual movie yet, mix-matched cues and a large amount of unreleased music makes this “arranging” just conjecture at this point. Still, it’s fun. 8O

-Chris

"Lier" is a Morn-ism here. I can assure you, knowing Mr. ALfonso and his nature here, no offense was meant by it.

Don't forget the meaning: "Lier" is a Morn-ism that means, "I strongly disagree with your opinion! It is a lie to my mind!"

Love or hate Morn, he's quite prolific to make up his own words. 8O

This is my (mostly speculative) album breakdown...

1 - Star Wars Main Title and The Revenge of the Sith

1M2, Star Wars (Main Title)

1M3/1M3R, Boys Into Battle

1M4, They're Coming Around

1M4A, Get 'em R2!

The space battle lasts for around eight minutes (including the main title), so there have to be some edits here. There's no rebel fanfare anywhere, as was indicated in the session reports.

Not sure about the last two minutes. Could be 1M5, The Elevator Sequence or 2M1.

2 - Anakin's Dream

2M6, Scenes and Dreams (edit)

3 - Battle of the Heroes

Revenge of the Sith DVD Version (concert arrangement of 6M9)

4 - Anakin's Betrayal

5M3, Lament

Not sure about the last part. 'Lament' is only three minutes.

5 - General Grievous

4M4, Rolling with Grievous

4M4A, Fighting with Grievous

6 - Palpatine's Teachings

4M3, Palpatine's Seduction

3M3, Palpatine's Big Pitch

7 - Grievous and the Droids

4M1A, Good Guys Arrive

8 - Padme's Ruminations

4M5A, Padme's Ruminations

9 - Anakin Vs. Obi-Wan

6M4, Heroes Collide

This might be slightly edited. Don't forget that it underscores the Yoda/Sidious duel as well.

10 - Anakin's Dark Deeds

5M7, Anakin's Dark Deeds

6M1, It Can't Be

11 - Enter, Lord Vader

3M5, Goodbye Old Friend

Weirdly titled, but I don't see where else this can go.

12 - The Immolation Scene

7M1, The Immolation Scene (unedited)

13 - Grievous Speaks to Palpatine

2M5, Grievous Travels to Palpatine

2M4, Revisiting Padme or 3M2, Hold Me

14 - The Birth of the Twins and Padme's Destiny

7M3, The Birth of the Twins (edited)

7M4, The Death of Padme (not 7M6, Padme's Funeral!)

15 - A New Hope and End Credits

7M7, A Home for the Twins (possibly a combination of two cues?)

7M8, End Credits

Thanks Jim! That helps piecing them together even more! :) Hmmm... you are making some good points already, clearing some things up I believe. I didn't even think of comparing the album tracks to the score chart... I was just going by feel of each track and what I know about the story. The edits (and not seeing the film yet) make it hard though.

That score chart sure is handy... 8O thank Lucasfilm for letting it out!

-Chris, Who never thought he'd be a Lucas defender... but in this place it's near impossible to NOT be... LOL

Jim, that's a great list.

Which session cues do you think are NOT represented on the soundtrack?

Mr. K

OMG. Does that anti-piracy thing have to be so big?

I hope we get spared this in Europe...

I have a great idea: Why not have "Copying this CD is punishable under federal law" as a voice-over on each track? That way the customer is reminded of it constantly. And be sure to have a big "stealing art is a crime" sticker on every painting in a museum.

I have a great idea: Why not have "Copying this CD is punishable under federal law" as a voice-over on each track? That way the customer is reminded of it constantly. And be sure to have a big "stealing art is a crime" sticker on every painting in a museum.

;)

I tell you what...if you are spared the antipiracy in Europe...I'm moving there because the corporate capitalist mentality of this nation of sheep is driving me up the freakin' wall!

"Copying this CD is punishable under federal law" .

That's pretty vague.Is ripping the c.d. to make MP3's for your ipod illegal?I was never clear about that,just as I'm not sure if taping TV shows on VHS is technically illegal or just "tolerated"

K.M.

Uh-huh.

~Sturgis, too lazy to write "yes," even though that would've taken less time than explaining why I wrote "uh-huh" instead of "yes," which I was too lazy to write . . .

:angry:

I tell you what...if you are spared the antipiracy in Europe...I'm moving there because the corporate capitalist mentality of this nation of sheep is driving me up the freakin' wall!

Well, the German government tries desperately to get similar regulations, lobbied by the recording industry, disregarding all common sense (like: a percentage of CD-R costs is extra tax to compensate for copying, yet copying is less and less allowed/tolerated. They should decide: Either keep the copying legal, or strip the extra tax. It feels somewhat bad to basically being told: "You mustn't copy, but since we expect you to we charge you for it beforehand")

Ok, enough, I could go on and on and on about this.

Speculative list of major missing cues:

The duel with Dooku (1M6/1M7).

Obi-Wan's arrival on Utapau (3M6/3M7/3M8).

4M6 - I Am The Senate.

A few cues that follow Lament, including the mammoth Moving Things Along(5M6).

Padme's arrival on Mustafar (6M3 - Padme's Visit) which leads into Heroes Collide.

The last half of reel six (6M5/6M6/6M7/6M8/6M9).

A few bits and pieces from reel seven (7M2 - Anakin Crawling, 7M6)