What is the last score you listened to?

HPFAN_2

'The Shape of Things to come' From Battlestar Galactica- season 1. I think that the music for the first season (only one I've seen so far) was rather dismal, but this one cue from the last episode absolutely knocked my socks off.

Absolutely agreed. I actually had Chris do a piano transcription of that (but he didn't get very far).

Season 2 has much more serviceable music and another standout cue. Season 3 mostly serviceable music as far as I remember. Haven't seen more than that yet.

Weird, The Two Towers has the edge in my opinion. A wonderful dark score, with the best central theme of them all (Gollum's Song). FOTR has trouble shaking off its Enya-roots, while ROTK has too much annoying combinations of fanfares & chord progressions (as in 'Lighting of the Beacons' - I don't know the technical term for this).

Gollum's Song is the best song from the scores. But Lighting of the Beacons might just be the best cue from the scores.

Ah, I still play Chris' transcriptions!!!!!!!!

For me, I just listened to Vertigo......

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What did you mislabel and what did you fix? What's Pops Britannia?

Late 80's JW/BPO CD, mostly traditional British tunes, with a suite from Jane Eyre.

http://www.amazon.com/Pops-Britannia/dp/B0...2951&sr=1-1

'The Shape of Things to come' From Battlestar Galactica- season 1. I think that the music for the first season (only one I've seen so far) was rather dismal, but this one cue from the last episode absolutely knocked my socks off.

Absolutely agreed. I actually had Chris do a piano transcription of that (but he didn't get very far).

I'm still listening to it on a nearly hourly basis.

Weird, The Two Towers has the edge in my opinion. A wonderful dark score, with the best central theme of them all (Gollum's Song). FOTR has trouble shaking off its Enya-roots, while ROTK has too much annoying combinations of fanfares & chord progressions (as in 'Lighting of the Beacons' - I don't know the technical term for this).

Gollum's Song is the best song from the scores. But Lighting of the Beacons might just be the best cue from the scores.

I can't stand Gollum's Song, never could. Still sounds like Bjork singing a mellow Bond song. 'May It Be' has actually grown on me over the years. But I can't argue with you on the 'Lighting of the Beacons'. That scene and cue were the elements of the films that I had the most immediate gut-reaction to. Purest expressions of the love of filmmaking in the films.

Morlock- who is amazed that he managed to make it this far without getting any of the expanded LoTR sets, and still isn't terribly excited by the notion

The funniest thing about all these expanded releases is the fact that one listens to them very rarely. No matter what it is. It's a real endurance test. There is still plenty to be found on these 10 LOTR discs though. Some of these things I wasn't aware of in the context of the films.

Karol - who likes Gollum's Song.

I like Gollums' Song as well.

It may be awhile before I listen to anything else other than the first three Indiana Jones scores. ;)

I've had Meteor from LaLaLand sitting on my table, still in it's envelope since Saturday, and I have yet to open it.

I can't get enough of TOD. Just the fact that I'm finally listening to all this great music outside of the film almost makes me somewhat emotional.

I've had Meteor from LaLaLand sitting on my table, still in it's envelope since Saturday, and I have yet to open it.

Watched METEOR last Sunday. I'd have more fun pulling teeth than to sit through a 2 hour disaster movie. Not even Sean Connery could save the day. It's not too late to send the package back.

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings:

A great listen. I was under the impression that there was a lot of "dead music" in listening to the CR, but I was wrong. There is something for me on almost every cue. From the mysterious, sweeping melodies of "Rivendell," to the clanging industrial menace of Isengard's Theme, this score supplies of variety of sounds and thematic ideas. I'm going to say that my favorite cues is "Caverns of Isengard" and "The Road Goes Ever On... Part 1," but it is not the easiest decision to make. 4/5 stars (which is higher than the rating I gave for the OST)

This may come as a surprise but yesterday I listened to:

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

and

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

And as an equal surprise I love this music to bits! :)

P.S. the 5th disc of the Indiana Jones Soundtracks Collection contains awesome cues but the interview is really a waste of space. As an ardent JW fan I have already heard this stuff on the DVDs and from other sources. Offers about 3 new sentences from Williams and none from the other collaborators.

P.S. the 5th disc of the Indiana Jones Soundtracks Collection contains awesome cues but the interview is really a waste of space.

It's a wasted opportunity, as we could have had a whole new interview, but I don't think it's a waste of space. Concord obviously didn't intend to fill up the entire disc, as only 50 minutes of it are filled, so I think that if we didn't have the interview we would just have a 30 minute CD.

Firewall by Alexandre Desplat

Take Desplat's style, get him to do Die Hard movie. And throw in some Goldsmith's low piano and Williams' cymbals. But I do like it, even moreso becuase of the simple fact he had 10 days to do it. If anything, his versatility is impressive.

The Fly by Howard Shore

One of my old time favourites. Shore's best, easily. Or one of.

Now listening to The Golden Compass. And after that I'll give TTT: CR a shot. First time in a few years.

Karol

Firewall by Alexandre Desplat

Take Desplat's style, get him to do Die Hard movie. And throw in some Goldsmith's low piano and Williams' cymbals. But I do like it, even moreso becuase of the simple fact he had 10 days to do it. If anything, his versatility is impressive.

I enjoyed this one. The Main Titles particularly kick ass, sound like Elliot Goldenthal's action stuff (which is high praise).

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (OST):

A great listen. I think this is better than FotR, but it's very close. I'll have to wait to listen to the CR to know for sure. I will say that "Helm's Deep" is one of the best cues in the entire trilogy. I also love the grand statement of the Fellowship's theme in "The Uruk-Hai." I like "May It Be" more than "Gollum's Song," but the latter is still an interesting listen. The opening, matched with that BRILLIANT shot of Sauron's tower, Mount Doom, and a few flying Nazgul, gives me shivers whenever I see it. 4/5 stars

4/5?

That's a 5/5 if I've ever heard one. So are the rest of Rings by Shore.

5/5 for RotK for sure. The rest are good/great. But I'm listening to the CR right now, and I'm liking it more than the OST, so who knows.

How to make an American Quilt by Thomas Newman: Such a lovely little score that yet again shows Newman's mastery of a smaller ensemble and subtle orchestration. The composer's ability to write very varied and engaging material combining gospel vocals (humming voice of a soloist), guitars, all kinds of special instruments (sadly there is not list in the sleeve notes for all of them in this one) and traditional orchestra is spell binding. Even though the score is under 30 minutes it still has a great atmosphere that encapsulates you in its world for the whole running time. Themes are strong (if subtle) and Newman's skill in writing for his chosen instrument, oboe, is showcased here yet again in the wonderfully optimistic Quilting Theme and in the achingly longing and beautiful finale track The Diver.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings:

Another great score. I think that the highlights ("March of the Ents," "The Wolves of Isengard," "Theoden Rides Forth," "Three Hunters," etc) are better than the highlights of FotR. But there are also more parts that drag. I think if I had to chose, I'd still pick TTT over FotR, but they're both pretty much equal in my mind. 4/5 stars

The Wolves of Isengard is such a spectacular cue. The portion where Aragorn and Eowyn stare at each other before Aragorn rides off is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Gandalf The White, particularly the ending with Shadowfax. It's a beautiful cue, and close to being my favourite piece of music from the trilogy.

The Wolves of Isengard is such a spectacular cue. The portion where Aragorn and Eowyn stare at each other before Aragorn rides off is amazing.

Indeed! It's one of the best of the entire trilogy. And I love both the version from the CR and that on the OST (the latter being preferred--nothing beats that choir!).

I'm also a big fan of Gandalf The White, particularly the ending with Shadowfax. It's a beautiful cue, and close to being my favourite piece of music from the trilogy.

That's also a beautiful cue. I wouldn't call it the best of the trilogy, but it is still great.

The Wolves of Isengard is such a spectacular cue. The portion where Aragorn and Eowyn stare at each other before Aragorn rides off is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Gandalf The White, particularly the ending with Shadowfax. It's a beautiful cue, and close to being my favourite piece of music from the trilogy.

I agree both of those pieces are definite highlights of the trilogy. By the way which version of Wolves of Isengard do you prefer? The OST version with the choir or the film version with hardanger? I am hard pressed to choose myself but hardanger rendition wins by a small amount. There is such vulnerability in the sound of that instrument that fits that particular scene and moment so well.

It's John Williams gone Elfman, and it's great!

It does have a touch of Elfman. The first time I listened to Dance Of The Witches I was like "wha?!" but then it movies into a great theme that could only be identified with Williams.

Elfman is more bom bom bom bom bom, as made fun of in Family Guy.

Listened to Diamond Head by Johnny Williams. Eh.

I listened to "Milk" for the first time last night. I was very impressed with what I heard. Morlock (I believe) was right in that this score shares a similarity with "Big Fish", except that "Milk" is way better. However, this score shares another similarity with "Big Fish", an unpleasant one, and that is the shoddy album presentation. "Milk" begins with six songs, none of which hold any interest to me. However, the magic begins on Track 7. "Harvey's Theme" is everything one would expect from a theme representing a tragic politician with the first name "Harvey" (wink). A great way to start the score. The score maintains the quality of that track, although the brevity of a number of the tracks is rather disappointing; most of the time, it seems like they end right before they begin. An interesting sidenote: there appears to be two hidden tracks, though I have no idea why they are hidden. They are alright, if a bit too similar to the beginning score tracks. "All in all", I would probably consider this the best Danny Elfman score of 2008, and a great way to end one of the busiest years of his career. I would definitely recommend this to those who like Danny Elfman's dramatic scores such as "Sommersby" and "Big Fish", or to those who are starting to lose faith in his work.

I'd say the only great thing about the album is the David Bowie song :P

I listened to the samples and it wasn't anything special.

I'd also like to know how this is one of Elfman's busiest years. Wanted, Hellboy II, Milk. John Williams has done more before.

Unless I am mistaken, Danny Elfman has never produced this much music in a single year. ( Oh, and you are forgetting that ballet he did in February, as well as "Standard Operating Procedure".) Also:

How can you judge an entire score on thirty-second samples? I never would have purchased "Ratatouille" if that was all I had to rely on! ( It took a few listens for me to realize that it was a great score.)

"Milk", "Hellboy II: The Golden Army", "Wanted", "Standard Operating Procedure", and "Rabbit and Rogue" make five. And I did say "ONE" of his busiest years....

And that what was I thought when I purchased "Ratatouille".... But if you do not want to buy the score, then I will not harass you any further.

What is Rabbit and Rogue? Not a film I've heard of.

Listened to The Departed by Howard Shore. Fantastic score. I don't know how this one got looked over at the Oscars. It's better than some of the stuff that was nominated that year.