Worst Movie Soundtrack

Beethoven

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pirates starts out okay, but it is far too repetitive and quickly goes the wrong way. The music still works at Sparrow's arrival and escape in the harbor, but at the time he and Turner fight we get the same music we've heard so often already, and it often goes the wrong way. "Moonlight Serenade" and later cues are wretched.

Could there be hope that Silvestri might score the sequels?

Nah. ;)

All the tracks on the Pirates CD are mislabeled. "One Last Shot" is not from the "One Last Shot" scene, it's from the "He's a Pirate" scene. "He's a Pirate" is from the end credits. The track "The Medallian Calls" has nothing to do with the medallian, it's when Jack is arriving; the track "The Black Pearl" has nothing to do with the Black Pearl, it's when Jack is escaping the British at the beginning. The track "Will and Elizabeth" scores Jack and Will's duel, so I suppose that's half right. Come to think of it, the only track that appears to be labeled correctly is the first one, "Fog Bound." By the way, that's where the cello solo is, and it appears a few other places in the score as well.

Enjoyable crap, my friends . . .

~Sturgis, who made a Pirates medley on Finale a long time ago and recently listened to it . . . :|, and not even because of the score; I hope I do better stuff than that now

And, let's face it, Achilles theme is addictvely hummable despite how cliche and corny it may seem on appearance.

Yes, too bad it was lifted note-for-note from the fourth movement of Shostakovich's 5th Symphony.

And I didn't even notice it. I guess the constant Wagner, Prokofiev and RVW rips had distracted me.

Marian - who found the score absolutely unremarkable and without any significance for the movie.

Yes, that's the thing with Horner, if you don't know his sources, much of it sounds great. If you do, though, you realize the credit formuch of the great musuc has to go elsewhere.

Honestly, I don't understand these people who dislike AOTC so much... It's possibly my favourite Williams score of all time... How can you be a real Williams fan and not appreciate the complexity and beauty of that score?????!?!??!?!?!?!!??!?!?!

:music:

Honestly, I don't understand these people who dislike AOTC so much... It's possibly my favourite Williams score of all time... How can you be a real Williams fan and not appreciate the complexity and beauty of that score?????!?!??!?!?!?!!??!?!?!

:music:

That's a good question, I've never fully understand why you guys bash AOTC's score so much either...quite mind boggling...

Apparently, a Star Wars score has to be a masterpiece. If it's any less (i.e. a good score), apparently nailing poo into your ears is considered more comfortable.

Whatever. :roll:

AotC has elements of both lazy auto-pilot and clever innovation, with classic Star Wars bombast going home sick after lunch (and it wasn't feeling too well in the morning, either). In the end, it just sounds dull.

Chase through coruscant, imho the most rhytmically fascinating action cue every written, Williams most original and rousing cue, this score is annoying because we are gipped out of a lot of music it doesn't flow well together and may never because of all the editing.

the worst John Williams soundtrack  

would be this nightmarish piece of trash.

B000065840.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

venting, it feels so good

censored How can you not like AOTC?!?! Across the Stars is like the best song in the whole world!!! I like worship the Across the Stars (well not really but its AmAZINGLY GREAT!) And the chase through Coruscant I liked how John Williams opened up to more recent instruments (the electric guitar).

the worst John Williams soundtrack  

would be this nightmarish piece of trash.

B000065840.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

venting, it feels so good

censored How can you not like AOTC?!?! Across the Stars is like the best song in the whole world!!! I like worship the Across the Stars (well not really but its AmAZINGLY GREAT!) And the chase through Coruscant I liked how John Williams opened up to more recent instruments (the electric guitar).

... And then the Lord let forth a great flood of self-righteousness, a holy torrent to cleanse the impure of their heretical thoughts and self-esteem, and He bestowed upon this flood the name of Joseph...

Cerrabore - wondering who will quote the no religion rule first

Without a doubt in my mind, THE WORST movie soundtrack EVER would have to be "Never Say Never Again," by Michel Legrand. It doesn't help that Legrand's work would inevitably be compared to John Barry's Bond music, but just view (and unfortunately, listen to) NSNA, and you'll have no option other than to gape at what you're hearing. Awful! Connery as Bond (for goodness sake) can't even, with his presence, overcome that merciless distraction!

Get used to some prequel bashing here.

Also, if you like AtS, check out Hook.

For the "Worst Movie Soundtrack" I would like to give a mention to "Dragonfighter" by Anthony Riparetti....

Indeed, it appears he realised half way through that it was bloody awful, so stopped writing.....i.e. throughout the film's (overly) long last quarter, there is little or no music at all....

Serves me right for watching late-night Sci-Fi channel fodder though, I suppose..... :roll: