Worst Movie Soundtrack

Beethoven

Horner's theme for Troy (the city) doesn't work. It's just a see-sawing of blatant brass noted that sounds very similar to a classical composer I cannot think of at the moment. (Maybe it was Britten?)

Yes.

Britten

Horner

BTW, to th guy who said that despite its simplicity and plagiarisity (:angry:) Horners Achilles theme (I guess you refer to the tender theme?) was good because of its hummability... It gets so much worse in comparison with Yared's stunningly beautiful Achilles theme.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't care too much for Troy period and the score didn't help. Everytime I heard that horn flutter I kept thinking of those damn Klingons. I thought I heard it in Enemy at the Gates as well.

Horner is such a hack!

:nono:

Is this comment coming from the same guy who cried to Joe that he was "hurting you" by making nasty comments about a Star Wars score,here? Is this a case of giving plenty, but unable to take?

To others, well it's everyone's freedom to feel how they wish about it. I'm just saying that i like 'certain' parts of the score, despite that it seems to be very unfashionable to like parts of it, and be angry about Yared's rejection. Chrisafonso, no it's the heoric piece that often accompanied Achilles. I dont know if it's his "theme" or not.

But i got the impression you were looking down at me through your nose for saying something is "hummable". I'm simply stating it. I may not be a musical wizard and i have not even heard the rejected score. So i'm only speaking from what i felt to be true. The rejected score is probably wonderful. I'm only saying that in the short time he had, Horner produced something quite passable (imo).

Horner is such a hack!

:nono:

Is this comment coming from the same guy who cried to Joe that he was "hurting you" by making nasty comments about a Star Wars score,here? Is this a case of giving plenty, but unable to take?

:cry: I was Half Joking there. I enjoy the little of Horner's music i have. And i have Troy.

And i think Joe's comments hurt Williams image more than me...

And i think Joe's comments hurt Williams image more than me...

I think John's piece of sh** score for AOTC hurt his image more than anything.

the score to Never say Never again is awfully bad, the score for Blade Runner is awful, the score for Legend is terrible, the score for Nemesis is not up to Jerry's standards.

the score for Legend is terrible

You're referring to Tangerine Dream's US score...

Right?

:joy:

Oskar - who thinks Jerry's score for Legend is one of his best.

By any standards AOTC is pretty weak. Mostly I'd rather listen to a lesser composer writing with enthusiasm than a great master like Williams writing on autopilot. I'll take Tierson's music from Amelie over AOTC any day because the music is so vital and full of life. AOTC is just a stodgy mess, bearing all the tragic hallmarks of a great film composer who just can't find the inspiration. It's almost upsetting to listen to.

However, my choice for worst score goes to Ladyhawke, or King Arthur. Now they are just BAD.

the score for Legend is terrible

You're referring to Tangerine Dream's US score...

Right?

:joy:

Oskar - who thinks Jerry's score for Legend is one of his best.

However, if you find a copy of the TD score on CD BUY IT! It's worth about 40 dollars on e-bay!

That's crazy talk!  

Neil, perhaps you should go back and listen to AOTC, its not crazy talk, its a wretched score, unworthy of Star Wars, and almost devoid of value. POTC gets way to much hatred at this site, to the point its rediculous.

actually Neil, don't listen to AOTC, as your internet friend, I don't want to harm you.

O_o

I am bewildered....

If AOTC is Williams on autopilot, POTC is Media Ventures on a theme park ride. Maybe saying The Rock or even Gladiator, but namig the 'th' movie that uses that music...

Joe you know that you have turned from saying that it was the worst Williams/your collection score to worst score ever (seeing that POTC is regarded as that by many people)...

Has anyone here heard the music to The Colditz Story? It would have to be the worst score ever written for a movie. The Caine Mutiny is also a tad overwrought.  8O  :joke:  

Are there any other soundtracks that I should avoid?  :)

The Caine Mutiny's main theme is a too much, but otherwise, I think it's a fine score.

I think Horner did a very good job on Troy, especialy concidering the time spent on it. Good theme for Achilles. I wasn't aware of the Britten piece. It's a shame, I was happy that fanfare for Troy was a great touch, and I though the only part of the score that was better in Horner's version. Ah, well. Jamie doesn't like to dissapoint, huh?

As for me, I can't think of very many terrible film scores. I thought Million Dollar Baby's piano theme was painful in the movie. I think the worst score I have ever heard in a movie is Andrew Powell's Ladyhawke. The only instnace I have ever seen where a score ruined the film. The film was wonderful, could've been something of a children's classic, but that terrible, terrible, terrible score ruined it.

Sorry Melange if my comments sounded insulting. It's all directed against Horner's music, not against you :joke:

Regarding Horner's music, it's the same I think of very many Horner scores. By itself, it's well crafted music, and mostly very appropriate for what it's scoring. The downside is just that it's seldom something new, and half of the time not even by Horner. That's what makes me angry, things like this Britten theft there. Does this guy have no shame?

Oh well, the heroic Achilles theme. In my opinion that one is the icing on the cake of inappropriateness of the style of Horner's score for the movie. It sounds too American for its setting, especially the über-schmaltzy end credits song, and this fanfare for Achilles: Everytime I hear that theme, I think of a heroic army in a patriotic war movie.

I guess that's why the producers hired Horner: They disliked the "European" approach Yared took with the music (well, that's where one year of research gets a composer nowadays), and with Horner they knew that he would produce a mass-compatible, Hollywood sound score.

The abundance of the danger motif finishes it off.

Superman II - just listen to the Preface to see what I mean.

Well i just hear this score when i want to hear 'alternates' of Williams' pieces...

And i like the preface, not better than Williams' of course...

That's crazy talk!  

Neil, perhaps you should go back and listen to AOTC, its not crazy talk, its a wretched score, unworthy of Star Wars, and almost devoid of value. POTC gets way to much hatred at this site, to the point its rediculous.

actually Neil, don't listen to AOTC, as your internet friend, I don't want to harm you.

Pirates gets a lot of hatred here because it's a downright wretched score. It never suits the movie, and it serves as a distraction. AOTC would be pleasant enough in the movie if it wasn't full of edits.

Neil

I was thinking of using a bit of Pirates (a couple of the action bars) in this thing I'm working on, loaded it into Audition, and got this (for a "Skull and Crossbones"):

pirates-audition.jpg

Correction Neil, it suits the movie in the first half minute, when the solo cello gig creates the short impression that we're getting a pirate score.

Is that actually in the film? I don't remember it.

I was thinking of using a bit of Pirates (a couple of the action bars) in this thing I'm working on, loaded it into Audition, and got this (for a "Skull and Crossbones"):

pirates-audition.jpg

:joke:

A little too over volumed?

Good News! Badelt doesn't seem to be coming back for either of the Pirates sequels.

I think that's a premature statement. First of all, so far Zimmer is listed composer on both. If you'll recall, he was named composer on the first one as well, and only with the release of the CD was it discovered that he is merely the over-producer, and not composer. Second of all, this is the film music world. In most cases, no one really seems to know who's scoring the picture until the movie comes out. Third, this is the film music world. Composers can very easily get fired and be replaced by MV, if another composer is designated other than Zimmer. Fourth, this is the Jerry Brookheimer world. Composers do very easily get fired and be replaced by MV.

Pirates gets a lot of hatred here because it's a downright wretched score.  It never suits the movie,

While the former is largely true, the latter is not. A lot of the score does suit the film. I wish that kind of music wouldn't, but still. And it did have one good cue, for Johnny Depp's interest.

Amazing to see Horner completely ruin a Britten piece.

He was recycling, putting it to good use. He didn't ruin it at all, he used it very well.

Zimmer is merely the over-producer, and not composer. Second of all, this is the film music world.

I think in MV, Over-producing means more than putting money and saying 'good work'... ;)

Why not just producer as other people do?

It was a joke.

:oops: I thought you were serious...

No need for the :oops:, I was indeed serious. It was a joke on Zimmer's parts.