The Fellowship of the Ring COMPLETE RECORDINGS 3CD set

ST-321

My order is only dispatching soon bowdown It has not been sent yet. oh the horror, the horror!

My order is only dispatching soon bowdown  It has not been sent yet. oh the horror, the horror!

I'm not sure whether to snigger or cry for you. :P

Oh do snigger. I need all the Schaden Freude you guys can give right now. :|

Indeed. Sarcasm you see. But English does not have a punchy equivalent for that German word. It truly means to be glad of someone else's misfortune. Finnish has a word for Schaden Freude it but in English you have to uselong sentences that really spoil the sarcasm.

I will not visit this thread for a day or two (peace at last for all you guys :flush: ). I am happy for all the LOTR music fans who get the Box but I am not fond of hearing exstatic shouts of gladness and all the über happy hype untill I have the Complete recordings myself :)

Oh and BTW my order was shipped today ;)

Right well mine arrived early enough this morning to give it a full listen (I decided on the DVDA advanced stereo track). Generally I am thrilled with it, the presentation of everything in the set is just immaculate, however there was only one thing that left me heartbroken and sadly it puts a bit of a dampener at the very end of a set that is really 99% brilliant..

My great fear was the presentation of ‘In Dreams’ in this set would - as it does in the film credits - lack the ever so beautiful string piece that immediately follows Ross’ vocals that is present on the version presented on the original album. Sure enough it’s been excised here and what you end up with is essentially a rip of the end credits.

This creates somewhat of a conundrum in as much as which edit of the last few pieces people will favour [album or box set/movie]. If you stick to the box set version you get the nice humming choir bit of In Dreams after the Breaking of the Fellowship. If you stick to the album version, you loose that and gain the full version of In Dreams. Personally I am leaning more towards sticking with the last two tracks of the original album when it comes to throwing all this on my ipod.

Yes indeed. The sad thing is it's not really going to be possible to use the old album version and edit in the humming choir bridge as the mixes are different and I can't foresee it being very seamless. So like I say, it’s basically a choice of one, or the other.

Doug's notes are wonderful. At many points inside are little prompts pointing out where a specific theme is coming into play during a cue, so in the first section for example he writes about the History of the Ring theme and there's a little '0:40' timing note pointing out where exactly the theme can be heard in track 1 and so on. Again the presentation of the whole set has far more of a wow factor than the extended edition DVD sets.

Great to hear you got yours. Postman Pat did well today, eh? ;)

At the computer now ripping it all to itunes.... I'm currently obsessed with the bit around the middle 'The Nazgul' cue that underscores Aragorn leading the Hobbits away from Bree with talk of the elves and going to Rivendell. What bliss to finally have this material....

Now where are the other two sets? :P

I'm glad there don't seem to be many "errors" in the assembly.

Mmm, the edits are generally minimal (and although the unused bit from 'In Dreams' is not present, at least the unused brass bit from 'Flight to the Ford' is present in 'Give up the Halfling'). The bottom line is the set excels beyond pretty much everything I could of imagined we'd one day end up with back in 2001 when I was dreaming of eventually having an expanded release.

'Complete' recordings might well be an unjustifiable name for the release, but this is still an overwhelming set to own. The one thing I am tempted to do is split up a few tracks. It’s possible as some of the longer tracks have brief pauses, and I don’t say this from a low attention span point of view, merely one for quicker access on an iPod.

Incidentally I did try doing a weak edit of Road Goes Ever on pt1 and merging it with the moment Edward Ross’ vocal begins in ‘Breaking of the Fellowhip’ on the original album and it is going to be tough. Road Goes Ever On pt1 actually ends clean with the choir humming, but it’s picking up on the Ross vocal from the original album version that is hard because the underscore of the strings follows on sweetly from the Breaking of the Fellowship so there’s a bit of a bump which is why I am not sure it’s going to be possible to merge the two. Shame really.

Those missing strings at the end of 'In Dreams' are a bit of an annoyance, especially when you consider that they're in the LOTR Symphony (in which they segue to the big statement of the Fellowship Theme).

Yeah exactly! Although it was my greatest fear it would be omitted from this release it was the fact it works out the way you describe in the symphony that was the one small glimmer of hope I had that made me think that it MIGHT just be the same on the box set, but alas no; Ross ends, it's cut off and goes immediately into the pointless (for the sake of the album) reprise of the Rivendell music and then into the (ever welcome) reprise of the Fellowship theme from the council scene just like the end credits.

It’s a bit of a head scratcher really as to why they conformed to the structure the end credits had for the movie. It's really the one stumble made in the assembly of everything really, and it's made that little bit worse given it comes at the end so you've had near on three hours of pure brilliance and then that upsetting omission at the close of it all.

There’s nice stuff to enjoy with Khazad Dum hearing it outside of the movie and noisy sound effects. There’s a bit around 4:45 in the cue where there’s some nice backing stuff going on with the brass section that I never picked up on in the movie.

I couldn’t really detect much unused material on this release. However in the Departure of Boromir track, right after the bit that scores Aragorn’s fight with Lurtz there’s a teeny tiny little choir bit I can’t say I recall from either edit of the movie. Someone may wish to correct me if it is indeed in the film.

The other thing I noticed was also at the end of Road Goes Ever On pt 1. The strings & drums bit just as it fades out is edited as it appears in the film - the album version goes on for about 5-10 secs longer.

About the omission you're mentioning above, I made my own version from the OST, which has 'In Dreams' first and has the humming edited in and everything intact from the album. Let me know if you want to hear this ;)

Apart from that, I haven't noticed any edits (well, only things that differ between the theatrical cut, which I'm more familiar with, but that doesn't count) and yeah, it was great to finally hear the entire Khazad-dum sequence with no fx.

By the way, clearing up any ‘who produced this album?’ discussion:

-- from the second to last page in the liner notes booklet--

Executive Album Producers: Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh & Paul Broucek

Album Produced by: Howard Shore

Liner Notes by: Doug Adams

Edited by: Mark Willsher

Assistant Editor: Marie Ebbing

Mastered by: Peter Mew at Abbey Rd Studios, London

About the omission you're mentioning above, I made my own version from the OST, which has 'In Dreams' first and has the humming edited in and everything intact from the album. Let me know if you want to hear this

Might take you up on that, mate, or at the very least take some lessons in how you managed to do it. ;)

Got it this morning. Shame on you Amazon, moviemusic did it first, so take that box and shove it ... well lol

What can you say? Brilliant, brilliant stuff. I find the placement of the vocal performances a little off, especially Ian Holm's little song. It's not in sync with the score, so I get kind of disturbed by it. That swirling string bit in "Weathertop", after Frodo puts the ring on, that wasn't in the film, was it? These things really take you by surprise ;)

I think the best thing about this box is the "booklet"; it's actually not a booklet, but a gem.

I think the best thing about this box is the "booklet"; it's actually not a booklet, but a gem.

I agree, Doug's contribution to the set is wonderful. There's a lot of informative and rewarding information within those pages. It certainly makes you anticipate his notes for the next two sets even more, and of course the eventual release of his actual book.

Always figured The End Title music would be the achilles heel.

There's never really been a definitive version, though the one on the OST is probably what Shore preferred.

I'll give it a spin and if I don't agree with it it's time to crank up Magix Music Studio again. :)

muahaha, who is comparing THIS to TPM UE? The tiny tweaks ("edit" isn't even the word here) in FOTR are nothing compared to the butcher knife methods in TPM.

you know, i knew you were going to be the one bashing the UE. You didnt read the post completely, did you?

So in the end this is just another UE ;)

Just Joking, no need to bash TPM EU (or even lucas) more that it has been. It's crap we all know it :)

So, to get this thread back on track, a question to those who have the booklet:

is the bit of music that plays when Gandalf looks at the map from The Hobbit in Bag End indeed a hint of Gollum's Theme from TTT?

I was talking no Mirko, which is a bad habbit, cause he usually talks back.

Nope, not back, I talk black, like the censored str8 from da hood. :)

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Marc, I'll stop the off-topic here (if Stefan allow me this. ;) )

Nope, not back, I talk black, like the censored str8 from da hood. :)

Neil once very rightfully banned me because I used the N word.

I see no reason that tradition should be changed.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry Marc, I'll stop the off-topic here (if Stefan allow me this. ;) )

Indeed.

Stefancos- who will now ignore Mirko.

is the bit of music that plays when Gandalf looks at the map from The Hobbit in Bag End indeed a hint of Gollum's Theme from TTT?

Good question. If it is, the notes do not seem to specify. Doug’s book might, from which the majority of this notes are culled and edited down of course. Understand that the liner notes book doesn’t actually address each cue on a track by track basis, instead it examines the key thematic strands established for the first film, how they relate and with hints about how they will come to evolve. The paragraph devoted to Gollum material on page 14 only writes about his ‘Pity’ theme.

There’s a note at the back of the book stating that choral texts, annotated scores, performer bios…etc will be available on the soundtrack website, which is presumably what Doug has hinted at when he’s spoken of the site getting a big re-design in terms of its content. The paragraph of course mentions all this and more will feature in Doug’s book.

Neil once very rightfully banned me because I used the N word.

That was probably because you used that word in a offensive way, as contrary as me. I don't wanna be banned because of you, again, so try to avoid those kind of accuse.

Joking is a thing, but I don't allow you to call me racist. You can't joke with those things.

Stefancos- who will now ignore Mirko.

Like the cowards does, a stupid move, but luckily at least you will finally stop trying to get my account deleted once for all, with all these pointless accuses. :(

Bwa...I won't continue...I'll leave you to your fun...zzz... :sleepy:

Trying to get back on topic...is the scheduled release date of the Box changed again? Just to ask something LOTR related, easy question.