Best HP Book...

Justin

What is your favorite Harry Potter book.  

32 members have voted

1. 1.

• Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone
    • Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets
    • Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban
    • Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire
    • Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix
    • Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince

Placing this question in poll form. I've been curious about this for awhile. Here's my thoughts...

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone. An incredibly fun romp of a children's book. For what it is it succeeds greatly. However, when compared to the later books it really doesn't offer much plot-wise. A lot of the characters (especially Quirrel) are severely underdeveloped. However, it does introduce us to a grand new universe quite well.

Harry Potter and The Chamber of Secrets. More like the first book than the third, The Chamber of Secrets presents a more complicated plot and is overall a more interesting read IMO. As a child when I read this several years ago I was genuinely frightened by the horror of the Chamber a fun read with a taste of what is to come.

Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban. Ah yes, this is more like it. A far more complex plot but more importantly PoA represents a story that is human based. As opposed to a sleuthful tale simply for the sake of sleuthing PoA gives us a darker side to Harry, a vengeful side ready to kill a man over the death of his parents. This is why this book is so great. I opens up a depth to Harry's character only glimpsed at in the previous two books. The chapter of dialogue in the Shrieking Shack are long but engaging not just another evil villain’s clichéd monologue of his diabolical scheme but a complex conversation that gives us a window into the past of these men's lives at Hogwarts.

Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire. The Fourth installment probably tells the most important story of the published six books. Yet, it seems to do so in a far less subtle way than PoA or OOTP. Book 4 is almost twice as long as book 3 and it can sometimes show. The Triwizard Tournament is an engaging aspect of the book but it almost seems like it's just there to fill up pages. As I read it I wanted Rowling to get on to the real story of the return of Voldemort. Not to say this book is in anyway bad. It's still a fantastic book but for less trim and streamlined than it's predecessor. Still the book has the potential to be the greatest film.

Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix. After the events of book 4 the world of Harry Potter has changed considerably in book 5. The magical world does not yet know of the return of Voldemort yet things are changing. The slow build of Harry's visions of Voldemort through the book is subtle and brilliant culminating to a finale 100+ pages of breathtaking material. So many sequences are breathtaking in this book. The revolt of the school brings a grin to my face every time I read it. The battle with Hagrid on the school grounds, the flight of the weasley twins, and the fleeing of Dumbledore all compliment the atmosphere of hostility at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. If there is one point of contention in the book it is the somewhat shallow plot surrounding Grawp. The story doesn't seem to go anywhere, yet, and unfortunately is the slowest sequence of the book.

Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince. A much smaller book than the previous installment, both in page number and scale of the story. The book wanders for many pages in the first third however it does pick up. The plot of Snape and Draco is this books boasting point. Whenever that plot surfaced I was always engaged in the story. There seems to be a separation in quality between the first and second halves of this book. Once "The Cave" begins the book enters a whole new depth. The final quarter to third of the book is easily some of the finest pages that Rowling has written in the series. So many characters show their true colors here. The book raises more questions than it does answer old ones. Although the Horcrux plot gives the whole series a new dimension. The book serves it's purpose which is to set up for the final installment. It does this with dignity and class. The final sentence of the book shows us a ray of hope and loyalty shining brilliantly through the mire of darkness and deceit.

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Order of The Phoenix

Favorite Chapter: "Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs" (Harry Potter and The Prisoner of Azkaban)

Favorite Sentence: "His hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left enjoy with Ron and Hermione." ("The White Tomb" Harry Potter and The Half-Blood Prince)

Justin

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Order of the Phoenix, hands down. Nearly 900 pages of sheer delight, something I strongly feel was missing from the subsequent book. There is so much material in the book, and so many great scenes and dialogue. Rowling was at the top of her game in OotP, and I hope the last book brings back this spirit...

Tim

GoF.jpg

It was my favorite since I first read it, and I think it will most likely always be.

I don't know how I would rank all the books, but I know OotP is second.

~Sturgis

It's pretty close...but I have to go with Prisoner of Azkaban. Though there are individual aspects and scenes of other (especially the later) books that eclipse those in PoA, the third novel as a whole is my favorite. So many great subplots all winding toward a fascinating and thrilling conclusion where they come together and reveal a wealth of delightful "backstory." It's darker than the first two, but has wonderful moments here and there, from McGonagall and Trelawney's Christmas interactions to Dumbledore's inexplicably knowing ways in the rescuing of Buckbeak and Sirius. Plus, to me it represents the last book where, despite the darkness threatening to close in, Harry's world was one of comfort and warmth, where school and trivial issues were just as important as the main ones. A compelling read from beginning to end.

Next would probably be OotP, followed by GoF, SS, CoS, and HBP.

Ray Barnsbury - by the way, excellent post Justin! :thumbup:

Goblet of Fire by a MILE.

Order of the Phoenix is just too damn flabby. It tells a much shorter story that GOF but waffles far too much. Still, the story is worth telling. I prefer HBP to OOP to be honest. Harry is less whiney and the whole seems to be less plodding and a bit more energetic.

Everything that was wrong with HAP:

- Super!Ginny.- Dumbledore's stupidity.
    - Hermione on permanent PMS with a pointless jealous streak (her character is the real death in this book)
    - People are dying left, right and centre, but leave it to the trusty "Daily Prophet" to tell us second hand what's going on.
    - Harry forgetting his Godfather was murdered a few weeks ago.
    - Every second page littered with "snogging" because Rowling was having writer's block.
    - Fundamental inconsistancies with the previous books such as the use of love potions, Voldemort's choices (are we led to believe now that he was born evil and we're to ignore Dumbledore's speech to Harry in COS that it's our choices that make us who we are?)
    - Flippant writing style in the last few chapters (ie. these characters have lost their humanity, for example Harry giving his Spider-Man speech to GinnySue during the funeral with laughably bad dialogue - "We could have had months... years even." :thumbup: )
      I can't go on, it's as if every character in the book was on drugs.
      EDIT: I'll rank them...
      1. Order of the Phoenix
      2. Prisoner of Azkaban
      3. Philosopher's Stone
      4. Chamber of Secrets
      5. Goblet of Fire
      6. Half-Blood Prince

Everything that was wrong with HAP:

- Hermione on permanent PMS with a pointless jealous streak (her character is the real death in this book)

There's nothing like hormones to change someone. Hermione included.

- People are dying left' date=' right and centre' date=' but leave it to the trusty "Daily Prophet" to tell us second hand what's going on.[/quote'']

Yes, who'd have thought people would die in a war! And the most popular medium of news in the wizarding world telling people, no less.

- Harry forgetting his Godfather was murdered a few weeks ago.

Err... No he didn't

- Every second page littered with "snogging" because Rowling was having writer's block.

Or because they're teenagers. Seriously' date=' you're not THAT old, are you?

- Fundamental inconsistancies with the previous books such as the use of love potions

Who said they're not illegal anymore? It's not like the characters are strict rule-followers anyway.

Voldemort's choices (are we led to believe now that he was born evil and we're to ignore Dumbledore's speech to Harry in COS that it's our choices that make us who we are?)

Considering we didn't see Riddle younger than 11' date=' it's obvious he made certain choices before then to help shape him. Added to that, the environment people are raised in is a huge influence. And some people are just born the way they are - not evil, as they wouldn't consider themselves that.

- Flippant writing style in the last few chapters (ie. these characters have lost their humanity, for example Harry giving his Spider-Man speech to GinnySue during the funeral with laughably bad dialogue - "We could have had months... years even." :thumbup: )
    No argument, because I couldn't stand that chapter either (but for different reasons... :cry:)
    I can't go on' date=' it's as if every character in the book was on drugs.[/quote'] Again, there's no drug like hormones!Sure, this is mostly opinion-stuff, but I hate seeing a great book soiled on thusly!

There's nothing like hormones to change someone. Hermione included.

Shouldn't that have been in earlier books? Either way, her character was butchered.

Yes, who'd have thought people would die in a war! And the most popular medium of news in the wizarding world telling people, no less.

What war? I didn't see any war. I saw some newspaper articles, but this was not the war epic I was expecting it to be. And when battle scenes do come around at the end, Rowling uses a lucky potion after she's written herself into a corner. Really, there was no feeling of dread or a world at the edge of its precipice.

Err... No he didn't

Oh, come on. No feelings of revenge, no remorse or regret. Harry's not even human anymore, he's worse than a Vulcan.

Who said they're not illegal anymore? It's not like the characters are strict rule-followers anyway.

Hogwarts is suddenly giving out free samples? I swear, this is like fan fiction at its worst.

Or because they're teenagers. Seriously, you're not THAT old, are you?

Again, I was expecting a well written epic, with relationships that actually feel significant, not stupid crushes and infantile jealousy by characters acting out-of-character. I thought Rowling was deeper than that, but I guess teen-crushes in her point of view is really "twoo-wuv"! :roll:

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix. Real depht, added meaning to the rest of the books and no distracting silly plot. Oh, and wonderful new characters (Umbridge).

I love GOF! Because of the TriWizard tournment and the such, it was just so exciting. Plus, we were able to learn that there are other wizard schools out there. To me it just reaffirmeed that their was this whole community of wizards and witches and soon to be wizards and witches. I know it was always mentioned, but I think this book took us closer into the wizarding community.

POA and HBP. Having read HBP only once, and last, I give it a slight edge right now. And all the characters are handled perfectly - that's what makes the book so good and keeps the lack of a big story for the first half from being a problem.

Marian - who simply does not understand most of the criticism at all.

I've read some of these and it almost makes me want to start reading the books.

But I've enjoyed the element of surprise in the movies, and I'll keep it that way.

Just because it isn't the war epic you wanted doesn't mean it's not a good book, Drax. Try and look past the lack of action because the backstory is fascinating.

Trumpeteer, you're missing a ton by not checking out the books! They're miles better than the movies (some of which are good, anyways.) :mrgreen:

~Sturgis

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favorite. Tense, exciting, beautifully written and all of the subplots come together in such a gratifying yet logical way in the end. The books get better and better up until Goblet of Fire, from then on they are overall enjoyable but just too darn long. Are the S.P.E.W. and Grawp subplots really necessary to tell those stories? The middle part of Order of the Phoenix is an extremely boring read, and the fact that Dumbledore and Hagrid are MIA for several hundred pages doesn't help.

Here is how I rank them, along with how many times I've read them:

1. Prisoner of Azkaban (4 times)

2. Chamber of Secrets (4 times)

3. Sorcerer's Stone (4 times)

4. Goblet of Fire (3 times)

5. Half-Blood Prince (1 time)

6. Order of the Phoenix (1.5 times, started reading it a second time and never finished - maybe I will one day)

Jeff

Just because it isn't the war epic you wanted doesn't mean it's not a good book, Drax. Try and look past the lack of action because the backstory is fascinating.

Oh, the backstory. Is that the part where Malfoy was up to something bad? Or was it the constant dry narratives in the Pensieve? The romantic couplings pulled from a hat?

It was the backstory on Voldemort. Not subplot, backstory. Finding out about his roots, who his family was, and why he didn't die when he tried to kill Harry. Do you not remember that part because it was not action-packed? :mrgreen:

~Sturgis

Sturgis speaks the truth. Though HBP is my least favorite after one read, it has some really fascinating and intriguing aspects, including learning so much about Voldemort's past. For example, I find the fact that he actually sought a position at Hogwarts exceedingly interesting.

Ray Barnsbury

Just because it isn't the war epic you wanted doesn't mean it's not a good book, Drax.  Try and look past the lack of action because the backstory is fascinating.

Trumpeteer, you're missing a ton by not checking out the books!  They're miles better than the movies (some of which are good, anyways.) :)  

~Sturgis

That's all HAP was, non-stop exposition. You think that's going to make a good movie? :mrgreen: I don't think so. Also, it was not a good book, it was badly written trash.

Also, what's so good about all this boring backstory if we never encounter Voldemort? There was no sense of urgency, the stakes haven't been raised. Why should I care about these characters (who are now only two-dimensional caricatures of themselves) anymore if I don't care about Rowling's piss poor job of a plot? Again, bad writing. It's as if the characters this time round have been written to serve Rowling's precious plot rather than be themselves. I'm surprised so many people took the bait.

Rowling! :nono:

EDIT: Super!Ginny is one of literature's worst creations. I can't understand why Rowling thinks she's a great character.

Sturgis speaks the truth. Though HBP is my least favorite after one read, it has some really fascinating and intriguing aspects, including learning so much about Voldemort's past.  For example, I find the fact that he actually sought a position at Hogwarts exceedingly interesting.

Ray Barnsbury

I agree with Ray. HBP does have some fascinating and intriguing aspects. I like how we were infromed of Voldemort's past and from there we can start to see why he is doing what he is doing. We have been engrossed with all the information about Harry and what is making Harry tick, it was good to get behind what was making the enemy tick.

Trumpeteer, you're missing a ton by not checking out the books!  They're miles better than the movies (some of which are good, anyways.) :D  

~Sturgis

Maybe I'll pick up the first three soon. And maybe the fourth after I see the movie.

Maybe.

Jeff -- who has too many books waiting to be read

But I've enjoyed the element of surprise in the movies, and I'll keep it that way.

There's no element of surprise in the movies.

The books have HUGE surprises, and at least 99% of them are completely missing from the movies.

Marian - who does think Ginny is a great character.

That's all HAP was, non-stop exposition.  You think that's going to make a good movie?  :D   I don't think so.

You judge books by how good their movie adaptations could be? :?

Also, what's so good about all this boring backstory if we never encounter Voldemort? There was no sense of urgency, the stakes haven't been raised.

Again, look past the lack of epic battles. The last third of the book has plenty of action, and even so, action really doesn't matter in a good book. HBP is a transitional story beween the core of the series and the final installment. While everything is being set up for the last book, there is still more than enough good material to support a interesting story here.

~Sturgis

Why the hell are you guys even conversing with Drax? It's obvious he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Okay.

So do you have a ranking to add to this thread?

1. Philosopher's Stone

2. Order of the Phoenix

3. Goblet of Fire

4. Prisoner of Azkaban

5. Chamber of Secrets

6. Half-Blood Prince

Here's the thing about Half-Blood Prince. I didn't hear music when I read it. Normally, when I read such a book I can imagine a soundtrack accompanying the text. For Order of the Phoenix, I can practically play the book on a piano. But in Half-Blood Prince, I only "heard" music at a couple points: Slughorn's modified memories, the point when the Dark Mark is seen over Hogwarts, and Dumbledore's death. Beside those few examples, the book went silently. I just didn't find drama in almost any of it.

Interesting. I can accept that point of view, I suppose. :P

Moving on, does anyone else absolutely love the first chapter of Book 1? It's one of my favorite chapters by far; everything is still a mystery, there are these intricate personalities with relationships and characteristics we're only just discovering, a whole world out there we know nothing of that is so endlessly intriguing, and through it all everything is somewhat warm and cozy. Mm, I just love it.

Ray Barnsbury

^I try to think back to when I first read it, when everything was new. When I imagined my own Hogwarts, not the one from the movies... That's one thing I'll never be able to have again: the element of surprise.

Interesting.  I can accept that point of view, I suppose. :P  

Moving on, does anyone else absolutely love the first chapter of Book 1?  It's one of my favorite chapters by far; everything is still a mystery, there are these intricate personalities with relationships and characteristics we're only just discovering, a whole world out there we know nothing of that is so endlessly intriguing, and through it all everything is somewhat warm and cozy.  Mm, I just love it.

Ray Barnsbury

^I try to think back to when I first read it, when everything was new.  When I imagined my own Hogwarts, not the one from the movies...  That's one thing I'll never be able to have again: the element of surprise.

I wish I could say that I started to read the books before the movie came out, that was just not the case. I saw the first movie b/c one of my friends brought it over and at the time I had no interest in it. My interest did not start until movie two (now I love them). After movie two, I decided that I really needed to read the books.

So to answer the question about Chapter 1, I love it also. I do like the mystery about what is going on and what is to come, that is presented in the chapter. Since, at the time that I read the first book, I had not really watched 1 all that closely, there was still an element of surprise. I know that the books are a lot different than the movie at times and I looked forward to learning more than what the movie told. Thus far, I have not been disappointed.

I get that book one cahpter 1 feeling when I read the new books because there is no movie out yet for them, so you have to get your imagination working. Plus, in the each book we are learning more and more about this world, the personalities of the old and new characters, and seeing realtionships grow.

Interesting.  I can accept that point of view, I suppose. :P  

Moving on, does anyone else absolutely love the first chapter of Book 1?  It's one of my favorite chapters by far; everything is still a mystery, there are these intricate personalities with relationships and characteristics we're only just discovering, a whole world out there we know nothing of that is so endlessly intriguing, and through it all everything is somewhat warm and cozy.  Mm, I just love it.

Ray Barnsbury

^I try to think back to when I first read it, when everything was new.  When I imagined my own Hogwarts, not the one from the movies...  That's one thing I'll never be able to have again: the element of surprise.

I wish I could say that I started to read the books before the movie came out, that was just not the case. I saw the first movie b/c one of my friends brought it over and at the time I had no interest in it. My interest did not start until movie two (now I love them). After movie two, I decided that I really needed to read the books.

So to answer the question about Chapter 1, I love it also. I do like the mystery about what is going on and what is to come, that is presented in the chapter. Since, at the time that I read the first book, I had not really watched 1 all that closely, there was still an element of surprise. I know that the books are a lot different than the movie at times and I looked forward to learning more than what the movie told. Thus far, I have not been disappointed.

I get that book one cahpter 1 feeling when I read the new books because there is no movie out yet for them, so you have to get your imagination working. Plus, in the each book we are learning more and more about this world, the personalities of the old and new characters, and seeing realtionships grow.

It becomes harder to imagine the characters when reading the books. I had different pictures of them in my head before, but now they've inevitably been altered and often replaced by their movie versions.

- Marc, who used to envision Quirrel as Professor Farnsworth with a turban.

I retain my original conceptions of the characters and everything else, for the most part. Which is good - reading's about using your imagination, not someone else's.

Ray Barnsbury

Goblet of Fire.

Why?

- The tension building towards the first task

- The first task

- The Yule Ball

- The quarreling between Hermione and Ron.

I found OotP rather depressing. So much terrible things happening, that just keep getting worse...

Willy - who hasn't read HPB yet.

It becomes harder to imagine the characters when reading the books. I had different pictures of them in my head before, but now they've inevitably been altered and often replaced by their movie versions.

- Marc, who used to envision Quirrel as Professor Farnsworth with a turban.

Some characters are their movie version such as Snape, Hagrid, and McGonogal, other are completly diffrent like Treylawny. Others are kind of hybrid morphes that change in and out. The main trio seems to do this alot.

Also I imagine Dumbledore most often as Harris, although I prefer Gambons portrayl in the films.

Justin

I'm not too fond of either. Harris seemed to subdued, while Gambon goes more wild. I hope the clips of Dumbledore in the GoF trailers aren't representative of how he'll be in the film.