Your Guilty Pleasures

BurgaFlippinMan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too. Although I feel guilty about liking Quincy Jones' The Color Purple so much!

It's a nice theme. Williams gave it the thumbs up too by recording it with Perlman, so I guess there's no hard feelings. But please, Spielberg, let it never happen again!!

I like the Season 1 soundtrack to "Ranma 1/2", and I like the J-Pop songs by the band "Picasso" written for the Anime series "Maison Ikkoku". And I like the "Thriller" Album by Michael Jackson. And Queen's "Flash Gordon."

And I like the original Ewok Song and Lapti Nek.

Like the title, which scores do you consider a guilty pleasure to listen to?

Perhaps this thread will be of your interest. :sigh:

Ah thks. Didnt realise there was one

With scores, I don't think the terms guilty pleasure can possibly apply.

Not even with Yub Nub? ok, technically a song. but still, it was fun, enjoyable, catchy but a totally unfitting end to a saga.

I think this helps prove my point. 'Kick the Can' is a much loved Jerry Goldsmith piece, and one of my personal favorite cues of his. Attached to the film it may be saccharine, but on it's own, it's pure magic.

Pop music may also be a guilty pleasure. I mean the catchy pop songs you usually catch on MTV or any commercial radio or TV.

:sigh: This is for guilty pleasures, not embarassing quirks.

Yeah what he said.I enjoy the music, and think that some of it is well-written (the eg "Commodus kills Marcus Aurelius" stuff) but in the main it is not exactly novel.

If it sounded like a real orchestra i think i wouldnt complain.

I think the lion king is great, count that as a guilty pleasure since i dislike Zimmer very much. Its a shame the action cues sound so fake.

My guilty pleasure?  Watching Neil and Stefan's webcams.

That reminds me, your credit card expires today.

Neil

There's always this :)

norman3.jpg

Personally, I happen to like the distinct Zimmer sound. Pumping brass etc. Just because he likes to use stuff other than natural sounds doesn't make his work any less entertaining, to me at least. Especially when Zimmer utilizes his instrumental tastes so well. There sure are some snooty attitudes on this bored.

I signed up for this forum to discuss my passion for film music and its composers, with Williams being my personal favourite. There certainly is an elitest attiude amongst some members towards what they see as 'lesser' film composers, which is a little off putting to a new memer like me.

the battle music was written over almost a century ago. And For a real full orchestra BTW...

What is this about? Composer and work please. ROTFLMAO

Mars, the bringer of war by Gustav Holst.

Get the whole work (the other planets) its pretty good.

I think the lion king is great, count that as a guilty pleasure since i dislike Zimmer very much. Its a shame the action cues sound so fake.

I didn't really fully grasp the greatness of this score until I heard the unreleased music. I absolutely love the "Simba Alive" cue! There's some really great material in this score, and it does sound like there is some real orchestra in there, but I know what you mean by the action cues sounding fake. I see no reason to find The Lion King a guilty pleasure (aside from just eating some humble pie if you're a Zimmer disliker). Pirates of the Caribbean on the other hand... ;):)ROTFLMAO

He wan the Oscar for that...in the same year as Forrest Gump... :roll:

That shows that not only Williams didn't received everything he deserved. Silvestri should have been the undisputed winner.

I dont think it was undeserving

In fact it was very undeserved, but we all know it happens often.

IMO at least one Indiana Jones score deserve to win.

Luckily the fan's opinion is much more important in the end.

I dont mean at all that it should have an oscar...

I didn't really fully grasp the greatness of this score until I heard the unreleased music. I absolutely love the "Simba Alive" cue! There's some really great material in this score, and it does sound like there is some real orchestra in there, but I know what you mean by the action cues sounding fake.
There is real orchestra, as well as in Gladiator, but the synth 'lets make the orchestra sound bigger' overcomes everything and everything sounds fake. And yes those unreleased cues have very beautiful (sadly even unused) music. And that why i think its a great score, not for the action sequences.

The Lion King is simply an awesome score. Zimmer put in a lot of effort to actively work together with Mark Mancina, Lebo M. and many others to create a truly perfect score. It's actually one of my favorite scores of ALL TIME. I didn't like the film as much as I hoped I would (loved Beauty And The Beast and Aladdin to a certain extent), but the music truly was the gem of this production.

Just for once forget complex orchestrations and all, but just focus on Zimmer's gift for creating magnificent, powerful, sometimes highly memorable melodies. There is no score that better reaffirms that statement than The Lion King. It is, from a melodic perspective, simply gorgeous. This Land is a standard inclusion on compilation CD's that I make for friends and family who want to know what film music is all about. That last scene when the grown up Simba slowly walks unto Pride Rock to fulfill his destiny as king always gets me, because Zimmer's music makes that scene unforgettable. Even as I type this, visualizing the scene in my head, I hear the music and I get goosebumps. I can't help it.

It was nominated as Best Score for a Comedy or a Musical back in the day when that category still existed. It's also my favorite Menken score, followed by Beauty and the Beast.