Best of David Fincher?  

41 members have voted

1. 1.

• Alien³
    • Se7en
    • The Game
    • Fight Club
    • Panic Room

The guy has only made 5 feature films. I think they're all at least good. But which is the best? What do you think?

Justin - Who just watched Fight Club for the first time and will vote later.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote for Se7en. A very gritty, but entertaining suspense thriller. I also like Fight Club, it's also gritty and surreal, and has a subtle cheekiness to it.

I was a bit disappointed with Panic Room, it's a bit brainless compared to Fincher's other films. Though it did look like he was having fun with really cool cinematography in a dimly illuminated environment.

For me, easily Fight Club is best. It really packs a whallop each time you re-watch it. The direction is fantastic and only complemented by three great performances to boot.

I do really enjoy all of his films though. Each has its own special signature to it and merrits multipule viewings. Even Alien 3 is fun to watch every now and then.

Here's to hoping Zodiac will kick all kinds of major ass. Perhaps it will be a quasi-sequel to Se7en?

For me, easily Fight Club is best.  It really packs a whallop each time you re-watch it.  The direction is fantastic and only complemented by three great performances to boot.

I couldn't agree more. Fight Club gets better with multiple viewing. I can't say the same for Se7en (there's not much of a movie left once you know its ending. It's sort of the weakness of all thrillers). In that regard, Fight Club is an easy pick as best Fincher film. There's much more for the viewer to sink his teeth in.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Se7en, easily. Fight Club is an excellent film, but I think the ending kinda takes away from the rest of the fim. The Game and Panic Room are both very good, especialy concidering what they could have been.

Se7en is my pick. Yes you can only watch it one time for the suprise ending but it still packs a punch knowing what is coming upon further viewings.

Alien 3 from a visual standpoint is fantastic.

I don't think Se7en is at all a 'last scene' movie. For a while, I didn't even like the last ending, but still loved the film.

Perhaps that's my fault. I think Mark misinterpreted my post. Anyways, my critique had nothing to do with "surprise" endings and everything to do with knowing the outcome of thrillers. Thrillers thrive on the mystery and the unknown (everything else is secondary). Take away that and you take away their greatest merit.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I also voted for Seven, although The Game was also pretty good (Michael Douglas in one of his most intriguinmg roles). Ashamed to say I never watched (or never FINISHED watching) Fight Club. Alien3 is a rather minor effort, I think -- overshadowed by the masterful Ridley Scott's original, and of course the indomitable sequel directed by James Cameron. My two cents.

Perhaps that's my fault. I think Mark misinterpreted my post. Anyways, my critique had nothing to do with  "surprise" endings and everything to do with knowing the outcome of thrillers. Thrillers thrive on the mystery and the unknown (everything else is secondary). Take away that and you take away their greatest merit.

Great thrillers have the value of defying that rule. The first time, it's the mystery and the unknown. The following times, it's everything else, and re-exmining the mystery and the unknown. Those are the thrillers I love. The ones that thrill because of the plot the first time, and thrill because the feel, the dialogue, the look, the acting, ect., the following times.

I think a second watching of Fight Club and Se7en will help me choose. But on first viewing I'd say his best film is Se7en.

Justin - Who thinks Fight Club makes a close second and The Game is underated. (Better than Panic Room probably.)

I can never decide between Se7en and Fight Club. I picked the latter, since it had fewer votes. :)

Marian - who still needs The Game and Panic Room on DVD.

:) Dinosaur (James Newton Howard)

Justin - Who thinks Fight Club makes a close second and The Game is underated. (Better than Panic Room probably.)

The Game and Panic Room are not in the same league. IMO, Alien3 (both Theatrical Cut and Special Edition) isn't even in the running, even though some folks swear by it. Bizarre, I can't stand to watch more than 30 minutes of it.

----------------

Alex Cremers

I just wanted to prove that gathering more votes from even more plebs (more than the 50 here at JWfan) makes for a different outcome. But funny enough, recently, I also discovered that the critics of Rotten Tomatoes and the plebs of IMDB usually agree with one another. The trick is to have plenty of critics and plenty of plebs. It's not waterproof, but still, the closeness is pretty striking. Ah, the power of the consensus.

----------------

Alex Cremers

Alex, it dissapoints me that you have not noticed that Se7en is more then just a thriller.

It has some very interesting things to say about our society.

Absolutly, I still maintain that Pitt's character did the right thing for the wrong reasons. There's no question that Spacey's character deserved death. Justice was served but for the wrong reasons. Thinking that Spacey's chracter won is playing by his own twisted rules. Justice doesn't serve the will of criminals.

Also, Alien³ is flawed but still is quite good. I'd put it above Panic Room, at least. However, it's obviously true that his best are Se7en and Fight Club.

Justin

There's no question that Spacey's character deserved death. Justice was served but for the wrong reasons.

I beg to differ.

Marian - who has seen all Fincher movies multiple times, except for Panic Room.

only one of these films is worth a damn, and thats Se7en,

fight club is a total piece of shi#

Alien 3 is inept,

The Game is like Panic room, both look good, like a great pair of breasts on a very hideous woman, or the alternative for those of us who well you get my drift

Fight Club. Like someone said, it's the only one that's really rewatchable. It's a drama, yet it's got quite a bit of humor, and definitely a lot of style. It's entertaining. Se7en was fantastic, but I've never felt the need to watch it again afterwards. Once you know the ending, it probably is a little slow. Panic Room was pretty generic, though I give him credit for making a film set in such a small space entertaining, even if it wasn't the best. Never watched the Game, and I haven't been able to sit through an Alien movie since I was young.

Panic Room was pretty generic

I agree. I bought the DVD because I really liked Panic Room, but when I saw it a second time, the whole movie fell apart on me. I immediately regretted the purchase. Sure, Se7en is better. Tons better! But no matter how great a thriller it may be, Se7en cannot improve with multiple viewing. The "mystery" and "the unknown" are gone. The first cut is the deepest.

I, perhaps unfairly, deducted points because it follows the book pretty well up till the most crucial part (some scene takes place at different locations, like the cop interrogation room was previously in a bus, but everything's pretty much there). I'm talking about the end. The ending is so much darker, so much better (to put it simply) in the book. There was no need to change it other then to supply a tacked-on happy ending (in a sense).

Tim, still kinda mad.

I've only seen Se7en and Fight Club. I'll give Fight Club the edge, because it's better to re-watch. Not just because of that whole thriller thing Alex mentioned, but because I feel there is just more to (re)discover upon subsequent viewings.

I must add though, that I was most unfortunately spoiled about the ending of Se7en.

Alien 3

Se7en bored the crap outta me.......Fight Club was at least diverting........The Game was OK but just went on for waaayyyy too long, and Panic Room.......ummmmm.....don't panic!

Greg - who wonders if it would have been called "Ali3n" had it been made a few years later.....

Alien 3

Se7en bored the crap outta me.......Fight Club was at least diverting........The Game was OK but just went on for waaayyyy too long, and Panic Room.......ummmmm.....don't panic!

Funny, I find Alien³ the most "boring". It's also the movie Fincher distanced himself from.

While the Alien 3 theatrical version is atrocious in it's lack of continuity and logic, the director's cut makes up for it quite nicely. That said, it's not a perfect film by any means, but it has a strong emotional core, and the absolute perfect ending to the series.

While the Alien 3 theatrical version is atrocious in it's lack of continuity and logic, the director's cut makes up for it quite nicely. That said, it's not a perfect film by any means, but it has a strong emotional core, and the absolute perfect ending to the series.

There's no Director's Cut of Alien³, only a Special Edition.

There's no Director's Cut of Alien³, only a Special Edition.

Fincher did, however, give his blessing to the Special Edition, saying that it was closer to the movie he originally wanted to make....