List your nominees for the Oscar in Original Score

Jarbas

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hope that if GoF is nominated, it doesn't win. That would be a major kick in the nuts to Williams.

I've heard this before.

Can anyone please tell me why this would be an insult to Williams?

If GOF is nominated (which is doubtfull IMO) it is going up against other scores of that year, NOT the earlier Potter scores by Williams.

Based on what I've heard this year, I guess my five favorites/most deserving would be...

Memoirs of a Geisha - though it left me emotionally detached for a long while, I may be starting to penetrate its elusive and subtle heart...and in any case, there's no doubt that the Asian influences and overall composition is inspired and greatly impressive.

Munich - certainly more moving and heartfelt than Geisha, with the appropriately mournful Munich theme, which is almost unbearably tragic when presented with Lisbeth Scott's grief-stricken vocals, and the terrific Avner's theme, probably JW's best theme this year. The flashback sequences are surprisingly listenable, with the high strings repeating what I presume to be the theme for Black Sunday.

King Kong - an amazingly solid and coherent work for the time frame in which it was composed. JNH rose admirably to the challenge of this project, and delivered a fun, thrilling, and emotional score. I'm still discovering certain parts of it, but it's surely a contender for the year's most impressive.

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - What can I say, this is my favorite score of the year. Though perhaps not as orchestrally exuberant and rich as HGW's other masterpiece (Sinbad), it's a perfect fantasy score that complements and enhances the film seamlessly. There's a myriad of themes which are really quite impressively developed and woven around one another throughout the score, very subtly at times. And little inspired touches like the brief tinkling of bells as Lucy peeks out of the wardrobe, the ethereal chorus when she opens it again and the candle is blown out, the melody and development of Tumnus' lullaby into a ritualistic chant , and the lovely little non-thematic flute line as Edmund returns to his family, really set this score apart from the generic, cookie cutter MV scores Narnia has been ignorantly compared to solely because of its composer's early origins.

Corpse Bride - I'm not entirely familiar with all of this score, but there are some great highlight's to Elfman's work, and the main theme is simply outstanding in its flowing understatedness. The songs are generally good too.

Who knows what'll really happen, though. I'll be happy if some or any of these is recognized with a nomination, and finally seeing JW win live would be a real treat. I just hope I won't have to work during the boradcast. :P

Ray Barnsbury

Steef, I think "Brokeback Mountain" is being allowed because many of the songs in the body of the film are not really heard well enough to be thought of as diluting Santaollalo's score. Remember, the major song in the film is not eligible because it's hard to hear it in the film.

But I think if "Goblet of Fire" were to win, it would be a blow to JW, because voters will have the main Potter theme in their head (which is featured in Doyle's score), look at the other scores, and think "Hey, this is a good time to give an award to the Potter theme."

In case you're wondering, here's my list of potential nominees:

Brokeback Mountain

King Kong

Memoirs of a Geisha

Munich

The Chronicles of Narnia

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe - What can I say, this is my favorite score of the year.  Though perhaps not as orchestrally exuberant and rich as HGW's other masterpiece (Sinbad), it's a perfect fantasy score that complements and enhances the film seamlessly.  There's a myriad of themes which are really quite impressively developed and woven around one another throughout the score, very subtly at times.  And little inspired touches like the brief tinkling of bells as Lucy peeks out of the wardrobe, the ethereal chorus when she opens it again and the candle is blown out, the melody and development of Tumnus' lullaby into a ritualistic chant , and the lovely little non-thematic flute line as Edmund returns to his family, really set this score apart from the generic, cookie cutter MV scores Narnia has been ignorantly compared to solely because of its composer's early origins.

Ah, he always was the more eloquent one. I totally agree, and you said it better than I. ;)

About Corpse Bride, I've recently listened to a few more of the score tracks, and "Into the Forest" in particular is absolutely incredible.

By the way, here's what I think will be nominated:

-Brokeback Mountain

-Memoirs of a Geisha

-King Kong

I don't know what others, but I think either Memoirs or Mountain will win, no matter what the quality of the scores.

~Sturgis

My picks:

4th The Brothers Grimm (Dario Marianelli)

3rd Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire (Patrick Doyle)

5th King Kong (James Newton Howard)

2nd Munich (John Williams)

1st Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of The Sith (John Williams)

Justin - Noticing that '05 was not a good year at all for non-JW types.

It was for me. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, King Kong, Narnia. . . .

I think 2005 was a great year for film scores. :angry:

~Sturgis

2 likely winners:

Memoirs of a Geisha:Has a lot going for it.Good buzz for the score.Yo Yo Ma and Perlman perform.Williams has done 4 good scores this year and may be awarded for that feat.Won Golden Globe and Critics Choice.Very noticeable in the film.Several articles about Williams in magazines lately,so the press HAS noticed.Williams doing the Tonight Show is a good sign too meaning the score to Geisha has separated itself from the rest of the flawed film(and why is Williams suddenly interesting enough for the Tonight Show?He's NEVER been on a late night talk show before,so this is special)

Brokeback Mountain:a repetitious minimalistic guitar score.May win not because it's any good buy because of the songs in the film or if Hollywood decides this is the year "to show support to the gay community" by giving gay themed films every single award.

oh,and Chronicles of Narnia won't win anything because some people see the bible in it and that doesn't fly far with the Academy these days.

K.M.

There should be a dramatic film about the corrupt politics of the Oscars, called . . .

F o r t y - T h r e e:

Based On True Events

. . . and it'll win nothing.

~Sturgis

I think 2005 was a great year for film scores.

No Silvestri, no Zimmer of note, no Giaccino of note. This is probably the lowest year in number of scores I've bought.

Justin - Who thought 2003, and 2004 were much better.

No Silvestri, no Zimmer of note, no Giaccino of note. This is probably the lowest year in number of scores I've bought.

Justin - Who thought 2003, and 2004 were much better.

I pretty much agree.

2005 was a bad year for scores, and not a particulary memorable Williams year either.

That picture actually looks like Williams. Wonder will Johnny do a "Samuel L. Jackson" to the cameras???? That'll be worth recording.

From your perspective you're right ofcourse. There is no wrong or right in this matter. Just perspectives.

And I couldn't help visualizing YOUR view on things with a picture that really says it all... LOL

Wonder will Johnny do a "Samuel L. Jackson" to the cameras????  

A whaaaa?

Whaaat.jpg

From your perspective you're right ofcourse. There is no wrong or right in this matter. Just perspectives.  

And I couldn't help visualizing YOUR view on things with a picture that really says it all... LOL

Ok, what good scores, other then Williams, have there been last year?

ROTS was average, WOTW was OK, and Geisha was merely OK. (can't comment on Munich yet)

And that's from the TOP film composer working at this time.

The other bunch didn't really do anything to get my juices flowing either.

Thank goodness for Goldsmith re-releases and that FOTR box.

Wonder will Johnny do a "Samuel L. Jackson" to the cameras????  

A whaaaa?

You know...when Sam lost the Best Supporting Actor Oscar to Martin Landau in 1995, he murmured "Ahhh shittt" and the cameras picked it up. Time for Johnny to have his Royale with Cheese at the ready.

Yeah, I remember that. I laughed because there was no way they could have known he would do that.

Or, remember Adrian Brody saying "shit" three times after he won his Oscar.

And another great uncensored moment in TV history:

After winning the 4x200 freestyle relay at the Olympics, one member of the USA team said "Fuck yeah!" And that was tape delay. So either no one picked up on it or decided to leave it in.

This just in, from the Los Angeles Times:

A typical disqualification was "The New World," in which director Terrence Malick relied too heavily on passages from Wagner and Mozart for James Horner's score to qualify.

I wonder now if they made consideration about the heavy use of source music in "Geisha." I think it's eligible. If it wasn't the Times would have said so.

Well, if you don't listen to JNH, Elfman, HGW, or several others, I guess it wasn't a good year for you. :roll:

~Sturgis

look for the nominees among the following list, IMHO :

gustavo santaolalla

brokeback mountain

danny elfman

charlie and the chocolate factory

harry gregson williams

chronicles of Narnia

james newton howard

king kong

alex wurman

march of the penguins

john williams

memoirs of a Geisha

alexandre desplat

syriana

John Williams' forthcoming appearance on the Tonight Show may reveal that Memoirs' studio and record label are pretty confident and strongly campaigning for John Williams' score.

who knows....

but it's all politics in the end

Memoirs Of A Geisha

King Kong

Kingdom Of Heaven

Brokeback Mountain

Star Wars Episode III

Geisha will win; mark my words.

How can anyone mark your words, if you still nominated Revenge of the Sith, and it has been stated officially in SW.com that the only possible nominations for Sith are SFX, Make up and Sound editing.? :wave:

Yet i hope your win is true :wave:

it has been stated officially in SW.com that the only possible nominations for Sith are SFX, Make up and Sound editing.? :wave:

Really, did the Academy decide that or are these the only catagories for which Lucasfilm has submitted the film?

it has been stated officially in SW.com that the only possible nominations for Sith are SFX, Make up and Sound editing.? :wave:

Really, did the Academy decide that or are these the only catagories for which Lucasfilm has submitted the film?

yes the academy has already stated all the possible movies for every category eligible to earn a nomination.

Lucasfilm sent more ads, score included.

This is what the editor of the online site www.oscarwatch.com picks for the score nominees.

John Williams, Memoirs of a Geisha

Gustavo Santaollala, Brokeback Mountain

Henry Gregson-Williams, Chronicles of Narnia

John Williams, Munich

Thomas Newman, Cinderella Man

I have the first four in my list. I'm not sure Newman's name will carry him this year, though, when James Newton Howard is going to be rewarded for taking on "Kong" at the last minute.

obviously, just one. For geisha.

1h 45min remaining for the announcement, right?

Only?

It's at 5,30 LA time, which makes 9 hours less than Spain's time. That's 14:30 European time (GMT +1)

Unluckily it's Hola Corazones time..., as usual. Will Cuatro air it this year? I don't think so :)

The score will not be anounced live anyway, but on the website...

PST is -8 of GMT.. i forgot we have one hour more.

I hope its on the web before i have to go to the exam at 3 PM :)

It will, since they upload it at the same time the nominations are anounced. The problem will be the traffic overload on the website, as every year.

Good luck in you exam