What will the world remember?

codanai

My brother recently said to me something to the effect of, "Come on, Jacob, you know that Williams will always mainly be remembered for Star Wars--maybe also for some of his other scores--but, among popular culture, Star Wars will mainly be it."

It's always really hard to tell with any composer though. Did Haydn know people would mainly recognize his Surprise Symphony? Did Bach know that people would remember his minuets, his fugues, and concertos? Did Mozart know that, hundreds of years after his death, people all over the world would be using a theme from one of his string quartets as the "Happy Birthday" song? And was all of that music really the most popular around the era it was written?

My point is, as far as my knowledge of musical history goes, Williams could be greatly remembered for his Bassoon Concerto or his Jubilee 350, or something we don't necessarily think of as his most famous work. I think Star Wars will always be greatly remembered for its music, but the populous may find interest in some theme of his that we don't think much of today.

So what will Williams be remembered for?

Your thoughts?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Star Wars.

It's sad, but popular culture won't even know what a 'bassoon' or a 'concerto' is eventually.... The only realm for fame in orchestral music will be film score, sadly.

Hopefully the new Superman movie will prompt a lot of the current teen base to research the old Williams score, seek it out, and enjoy the wonders of his music. :|

Tim

More likely they'll search out Ottman's album. Unless they release the album with hardly any snippets of the main theme (say, like Robocop) and point the guys to 'that 1978 score over there' :shakehead:

Looks like the world will remember Yo Yo Ma composed Sayuri's Theme.

K.M.

I know someone who credited Perlman for Schindler's List (the whole bloody score at that!) in one of his music recommendations to a friend.

Yeah, just saw the Tonight Show, and I agree. It's Hollywood's old Star marketing system. What can you say? Film scoring's a humble business.

Star Wars well before Jaws.  People only remember the two note motif in Jaws, not who did it.

I´m afraid that is true. people will remember themes from Star Wars, Raiders and Jaws, but not the person who composed it, possibly not even the movie where it came from. Name John Williams doesn´t say anything to most people that I know.

Williams will be remembered for either Back to the Future or The Legend of Zelda.

~Sturgis

:devil:

:|

:cry:

LOL this is great!

I remember once I had an argument about someone who said to me 'Williams sounds all the same to me'

I said ,' do you know much about him?'

He said 'Sure, he wrote Jaws and got an Oscar for Dances With wolves. My favourite one is the Mission and he is also a great guitarist'

I had to be held back by 20 guys :P

I think a lot of people will remember Williams for Star Wars and Jaws but that doesn't mean they will be unaware that he is a great composer with tones of work behind him.

Even the classical composers with endless works are known for one or two very famous works from the general public

He said 'Sure, he wrote Jaws and got an Oscar for Dances With wolves. My favourite one is the Mission and he is also a great guitarist'

"Sure, I love all of his western scores, expecially The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, althought I have to admit that his best score was Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Too bad we don't have a proper release of his amazing Back to the Future Trilogy scores."

"Sure, I love all of his western scores, expecially The Magnificent Seven and The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, althought I have to admit that his best score was Star Trek - The Motion Picture. Too bad we don't have a proper release of his amazing Back to the Future Trilogy scores."

LOL

I said ,' do you know much about him?'  

I had to be held back by 20 guys

This thread keeps getting better and better! lol. :)