Williams to Premiere 'Indy 4' Score in Boston

Trent Hoyt

On the main page:

According to the Boston Symphony Hall, via one of our forum members, John Williams plans to include music from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull as part of the 'Film Night' concerts in Boston (May 20-24, 2008). The program also features music from Jaws, Star Wars and the 'Harry Potter Grande Suite' narrated by Lynn Redgrave.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, this is awesome (if I were going)! Nice idea, odnurega1! I think I'll try to avoid any samples, however, until after I'm familiarized with the OST.

Well,by May 20 the soundtrack will have been released,so we won't be scrambling for a bootleg recording...unless he wrote special not on the OST concert versions

I remember when he premiered Yoda's Theme and The Imperial March with the Boston Pops in 1980. It was shown on PBS, I couldn't wait for that day and TV show to begin.

This is encouraging. That means that there's at least one theme from the movie that will have a concert suite that's not the Raiders March. Hopefully the score will boast many themes, but having at least one concert piece means that Williams may be back in thematic mode for this film. The Star Wars prequels showed that he was gradually moving away from character themes and motifs, as he opted to write more themes for set pieces and motifs based on locations rather than objects or characters. Hopefully Indy 4 will be a return to his 70's and 80's thematic style.

Ted

Yes I know. But I suppose my thinking here is that the kind of themes that Indiana Jones demands are somewhat different. Williams went for one big epic theme for each prequel rather than an assortment of character themes and setting motifs. I'm hoping he's not following his prequel pattern with this film and will be debuting a theme or two of a different variety.

Ted

TPM was closest to the original trilogy, it was much more thematic and had a few motifs. grnated half of the themes were from the original trilogy but it actually sounded like a Star Wars score.

This is encouraging. That means that there's at least one theme from the movie that will have a concert suite that's not the Raiders March. Hopefully the score will boast many themes

oh no,now I am sure there will be 10 wasted minutes on the albums by rerecordings of the Raiders march

That's great for those attending! I'm still hoping he surprises us with it in Detroit though.

True that, my fellow Michigander!! :blink:

Because i already have 50 versions of the Raiders march

My question was...why do you think there's be 10 minutes of The Raiders march on the album?

I remember when he premiered Yoda's Theme and The Imperial March with the Boston Pops in 1980. It was shown on PBS, I couldn't wait for that day and TV show to begin.

So he'd forgotten about "Han Solo and the Princess" even then, right after the movie came out.

So he'd forgotten about "Han Solo and the Princess" even then, right after the movie came out.

Yes, at that point the cover-up had already begun. Word is that aides as high up as Wannberg and Spencer were implicated. The question is: what did the composer know and when did he forget it?

Because i already have 50 versions of the Raiders march

My question was...why do you think there's be 10 minutes of The Raiders march on the album?

Listen to the other 3 OSTs

Raiders march end credits is already about 6 minutes in each.

Yes, at that point the cover-up had already begun. Word is that aides as high up as Wannberg and Spencer were implicated. The question is: what did the composer know and when did he forget it?

What are you referring to?

What are you referring to?

Don't take anything Hlao-roo says at face value and his posts will make a lot more sense. :blink:

I might be going to the Boston concert, but I am not sure. I might not be sure for a while. Does anyone know how fast these tickets go? How long do I have before I have to buy? I know the sooner the better, but I really con't commit yet. So, any help on how long before these things usually sell out?

And I am beside myself at the idea of being there for the Indy 4 premiere.

Colin Thomson

Just to let you guys know the BSO has released some extra tickets for the Pops concerts. The ORCH Row A ($40 comparred to $87 for rows B and back) is now available on some of the Film Nights. You can be only inches away from Williams as I was last year!

Choose ORCH 40.00 and you should see them if they are available. If not that section begins at row T.

• 1 month later...

I might go too, but I don't know yet.

Raiders March taking up 10 minutes is unlikely . . . it'd be more like 6 or 7 minutes! Although if the entire album has over 77 minutes, I wouldn't terribly mind! This new "Raiders March" recording seems to sound a little different, a little more fun . . .

So..now that we've been able to listen to the new score, which of the concert pieces from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (thats a long one to type!) do you think Williams will perform in Boston? I'm hoping for "The Adventures of Mutt" and "Call of the Crystal", although I do not think they will bring a continuum fingerboard into Symphony Hall.

I might go too, but I don't know yet.

You ever get tickets, Josh?

So..now that we've been able to listen to the new score, which of the concert pieces from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (thats a long one to type!) do you think Williams will perform in Boston? I'm hoping for "The Adventures of Mutt" and "Call of the Crystal", although I do not think they will bring a continuum fingerboard into Symphony Hall.

He'll play the REAL concert pieces,not the ones assembled by Ramiro Belgart

im pretty sure tickets are completely sold out. im sad now i really wanted to go=(. and theres a concert at tanglewood on the 26 and all the decent seats are sold out.

Anyone else getting excited? I am! Sadly, I have a sinus infection, but hopefully it'll get better soon. Ugh. I haven't gotten sick in so long and now that I am flying to Boston tomorrow, I get sick. No matter, I am seeing JW perform!

I'm tellin' ya, I suck at staying away this time. Must... dodge... Indy threads...

But I had to check in here, because I'm gonna be going to Boston for one of the concerts this week. Watching KOTCS here at midnight Wednesday/Thursday, then hop on a plane a few hours later, get there Thursday afternoon, go to the concert Friday night, then outta there the next day. This too will be my first time seeing Williams, so I'm really excited!

Any other Friday goers?