• Last visited

• Days Won

Tom last won the day on August 14 2016

Tom had the most liked content!

About Tom

• Rank
    Frequent Poster

Profile Information

1. Not too much to wonder about, if you are speaking about VIII. The only Hal Leonard piece the Rebellion is Reborn. I was hoping for more pieces, but the piece itself is fantastic. Seamlessly weaving together three separate musical ideas, complexly orchestrated, and ending on a full-blown hopeful note. I mentioned this elsewhere, but I think it is better than AtS and BotH, the two other "one-piece only from a new SW score" selections.
  2. Now that I have made peace with the fact that The Rebellion is Reborn is the only concert piece we are getting from this score, I have listened to it more intently. It really is quite good and, as SW concert pieces go, quite original. I like it better than Across the Stars and Battle of the Heroes (the two other "one piece per SW score" pieces), and a lot of the other pieces from the other films (Jar Jar's great adventure, Jabba, Scherzo). So, on that measure, the TLJ does pretty well.
  3. Again, are we talking about the movie, the score, or both?
  4. I agree it is tough to see Williams getting old, but I think he would have scored this movie the same 10 years ago as he did now. An eighth episode, whose story begins 15 minutes after the seventh episode and that offers very little new by way of characters, is bound to rely heavy on previous themes. I think he threw us fans a bone by giving us a new theme for what amounts to a role player, as it was the only "space" in which he could do so. He is like life, he finds a way.
  5. I don't understand this. The score fits the movie very well, so it does the primary job it is supposed to do. Perhaps your complaint is more directed to the movie?
  6. There are two ways of ranking these: one on originality and new themes and two on pure listening experience. Obviously, it does not do all that great with the first standard. However, on the second it does very well. The versions of the MofR are better in this movie than in VIII. The force theme is better than most. Kylos theme is better than in VIII. Poes is the same. Even Luke and Leia is just as good. Rey's theme is good, though not as good as VII. Add full-throttled action, and a couple new themes to boot, and you have a very powerful listening experience.
  7. Hal Leonard Signature Editions

Well, I think the Fathiers would work as a standalone piece--maybe with a grander finale than the cue itself. While it would be a departure of sorts, he could offer the Battle of Crait as a concert track. It would function much like the end credits of TFA--comprised mostly of themes for which there are already concert pieces. For a soundtrack as vigorous, energetic, and bold as it is, the Rebellion Reborn, while very good, just does not seem like a representative sample.
  8. Hal Leonard Signature Editions

I am not complaining about the piece itself, just the lack of other pieces. I was hoping for the multi-movement suite like with TFA.
  9. Hal Leonard Signature Editions

Well that is disappointing. I was hoping for The Fathiers as well as a surprise or two.
  10. I agree. I think we learned/were reminded with TFA (both film and score), the more people have specific expectations for these sorts of things, the harder (if not plain impossible) it is for them to be satisfied. The score fits the movie like a glove, and it is great Williams music through and through.
  11. I always enjoy the contradictory responses to new themes. Rose's theme sounds like HP and Rose's theme sounds like Anakins or a major version of the Force Theme. If it is the latter two, then it is SW by definition, right? I remember people complaining that Rey's theme was too Potterish. Whether it is similar to HP or not, it is clearly now as much of a SW theme as any other (as Rose's will likely be by the end of IX).
  12. Just listened to the OST (have not seen the movie). While my preference would be a SW score with a palette of new JW themes, this score offers something else. Engaging and heart-pounding action, and, more importantly, the chance for the new themes of VII to shine properly. I never understood why the resistance march was not used in the final act of VII. This score rectifies that problem and ensconces it as a solid, even "hummable," theme to the average fan. I also think Rose's theme is a very memorable and flexible. Fun, heroic, but even a bit solemn in some instances. If this were not a SW score, it could easily be the centerpiece of a new JW score. I hope it gets a proper concert version. I also like the new smaller motifs that show up here and there. All in all, the score is cohesive and exciting. It is like a final movement of the symphony that draws together the big musical ideas from the previous movements. Of course, there is one more movement to go in this case... My only grip is the inclusion of Yoda's theme in the end credits. Develop Rose's theme for another minute instead.
  13. Manakin, Just a friendly note, the word "retard" is considered by many as a fairly nasty epithet--along the lines of the "n" word for African-americans, etc. I do not think you mean it as such, but perhaps it is best to find a new insult without such overtones.
  14. I did not write a theme for her, it is for the Rebellion--I swear.