• Last visited

About Tom

• Rank
    Regular Poster

Contact Methods

• ICQ 0

Profile Information

• Gender Male
  1. Isn't the "uncanny valley" issue only relevant to animating human beings? At least, that is how the term is usually used. So Gollum, Jar Jar, and even the BFG really don't apply.
  2. John Williams' The BFG (2016)

70%of JWFan doesn't have anything to do with BFG? I would say the number is higher than that.
  3. Why the word "appears?" The movie is unequivocally a children's film. The book is a children's book and the movie is pitched to the same audience.
  4. my guess is that no more than 2% of the intended audience of this movie will think this is a problem.
  5. Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

More evidence that Rey's theme is going to be remembered long term.
  6. It really is a brilliant little celebratory piece.
  7. The TFA pieces seamlessly blend in with the classic pieces--that is quite a remarkable thing. I might venture to say they fit better than the prequel pieces (which I love--not a diss).
  8. John Williams' The BFG (2016)

If find it debatable whether there are no objective standards for evaluating music (Jimbob's view that Row, Row, Row your boat is just as good as Beethoven's 9th doesn't make it so), but even if it is, in this case there is clear objectivity in terms of musical storytelling. These characters have themes--that is now an objective fact, if later composers/directors want to ignore or replace them, a case can be made that this is bad storytelling, at least if consistency is to be part of such a thing.
  9. John Williams' The BFG (2016)

Jaws and the horrific Home Alones 3 and 4.
  10. John Williams' The BFG (2016)

I would call the Hooper scores "ineffectual." They don't detract from but neither do they significantly add anything to the cinematic experience.
  11. John Williams' The BFG (2016)

Another review that does not intend to praise Williams's score (though it neither dismisses it), but ends up giving it the sort of description that makes me look forward to the score: "It’s directly down to him [Rylance] that the ending brims with an emotion you barely suspected was there – rare for a filmmaker as sentimental as Spielberg, who has composer John Williams otherwise working overtime to wring out feelings that trickle rather than flood forth." http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/18/the-bfg-review
  12. everyone of his concertos, and usually on the fourth or fifth listen.
  13. Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

If Rey turns out to be Luke's daughter, then the point of the direct quote is the obvious parallel of how the force/fate affect both of them. Speaking of which, why on earthy would JJ not have told Williams Rey's parentage?
  14. Rey's Theme – John Williams' Best Theme Yet?

In all fairness, the "temp score" was still Williams. I do wonder why they did not re-record the burning homestead piece (if they did not).