The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

14 minutes ago, Richard said:

Fair enough.

SPIN ME ROUND is an undiscovered gem of a Roxy track.

You may have heard this already, but I'll recommend it in case you haven't because I think you'd love it.

Todd Terje is a Norwegian electronic artist who put out one of my favorite records of 2014.  On that album was a cover of an old Robert Palmer song, wonderfully sung by Bryan Ferry.

I really do think you'd love this.

I know there are some Green Day fans on the board.

In case you weren't aware, Billie has a new album out with a group called under the pseudonym The Longshot

Interesting, I hadn't heard about that, thanks for the head's up!

Wiki says its a solo act under a pseudonym, not a band

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billie_Joe_Armstrong#1994–present:_mainstream_success,_collaborations_and_musical_theater

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I know there are some Green Day fans on the board

Do we really have many teenagers here? There's Will but I don't think he's into Green Day.

If you were a teenager when a band comes out, you might just still like them when you get older, Nick.

I doubt today's teenagers give one crap about Green Day, they are into whatever bands are young and hip right now

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Hmm. JOHNNY AND MARY. Interesting. It has a dreamy, Summery quality, and sounds as if it could come from MAMOUNA - not in sound or style, but in mood.

Re:1979 records: I really think that you forgot one: SHEIK YERBUTI.

DANCIN' FOOL is a lot of fun, and YO' MAMA is 12 minutes of stunning!

10 hours ago, Jay said:

If you were a teenager when a band comes out, you might just still like them when you get older, Nick.

I doubt today's teenagers give one crap about Green Day, they are into whatever bands are young and hip right now

American Idiot was a staple during high school; Green Day is great. “Bang Bang” is as good as anything they did in the past. 

13 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Images? Orient Express?I don't know what you're talking about, Richard.

He's talking about this:

220px-JMJimages.jpg

Don't know much about the matter myself.

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Thank you @Steve McQueen

Maybe @Thor knows. I think he's a JMJ fan.

Indeed, Richard, but is Jean-Michel Jarre rock & pop? Maybe you should ask Thor in the Electronic Music thread. It's a beautiful thread. I created it. Good luck!

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oh, I'm sorry; you don't know what I'm talking about.

True. I stopped following the man's career after he first couple of albums (which were known to be 'electronic music').

On 7/29/2018 at 5:07 PM, Richard said:

So...I'm listening to IMAGES, and I'm wondering..is ORIENT EXPRESS a rerecording for the album, or is it the 1981 original piece, that was then played live in THE CONCERTS IN CHINA?

Anyone? @Thor? @Alexcremers?

What is a Jarre discussion doing in this thread? I almost didn't notice this; I just clicked this thread on random today.

To my recollection, "Orient Express" was composed specifically for the concerts in China (similarly to "Fishing Junks at Sunset"), but has since been included on various compilations, like IMAGES.

On 7/30/2018 at 10:19 AM, Alexcremers said:

True. I stopped following the man's career after he first couple of albums (which were known to be 'electronic music').

That's kind of your go-to-strategy for all film and music, isn't? Only the first couple of films or albums are worth a damn, and then the rest is crap? I'm surprised you don't apply the same to Williams -- only DADDY-O and BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG are worth a damn, the rest is crap! :D

I know I've posted about them before, but I continue to find everything about Greta van Fleet and this video in particular frankly embarrassing to watch.  They're like The Darkness except they don't realize they're a parody.

Haha.  Fair enough!  It's funny, this should be right up my alley as a lover of all manner of 70s hard rock.  That's why I keep trying them.  Guess it's just not meant to be.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Does anyone else like The B-52's?

I only ask, as I'm :music:  GOOD STUFF, and it's...well...good stuff!

Perfect frothy, Summery music.

REVOLUTION EARTH is great.

Not too familiar with them, but I've not really been turned on by what I have heard.

Ugh.  Just checked out the new Greta Van Fleet single "When The Curtain Falls" on Spotify, and it was bad!  I like every single track on their "From The Fires" double-EP better than this.  It's like they crossed the line from Zeppelin homage to Zeppelin parody!

Spotify also had a 2-track live sessions "album", and it included a cover of Adele's "Rolling In The Deep" that was pretty great, though!

Speaking of Adele, SHE covered The Raconteur's Many Shades of Black a few years back, and it's quite good too!

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Speaking of Adele, SHE covered The Raconteur's Many Shades of Black a few years back, and it's quite good too!

I did not know about this.  I'm gonna try to remember to check it out.

I love that second Raconteurs album.  An improvement on the first in every way.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

That Jack White guy, he's pretty good!

Except that new solo album which I listened to twice and thought it stunk.... oh well...

I wish I had gotten to see the White Stripes live.  I did see Jack solo in 2014, which was a great show.

I'm not super familiar with his most recent work, but everything he touched from like, 99 to '10 is pretty good

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Ooh, yes. I've got LAZARETTO. I like it.

I don't even mind AWTD.

Lazaretto is a really cool album.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not super familiar with his most recent work, but everything he touched from like, 99 to '10 is pretty good

I definitely agree.  White Stripes were my favorite band in the world last decade.

I do really like his first two solo albums, Blunderbuss and Lazaretto.  I even really liked the song he did with Beyonce a couple of years ago.  This new one, Boarding House Reach, was just super misguided IMO.

Yes, I remember liking all the radio singles from Blunderbuss and Lazaretto, not sure if I ever checked out those full albums.

I also like the first Dead Weather album on top of the Raconteurs and White Stripes stuff

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Ugh.  Just checked out the new Greta Van Fleet single "When The Curtain Falls" on Spotify, and it was bad!  I like every single track on their "From The Fires" double-EP better than this.  It's like they crossed the line from Zeppelin homage to Zeppelin parody!

Could you elaborate more on this? I just listened to the song and it doesn’t sound any different from than what they’ve done before, to me. 

RE: Jack White

i really love his hits and the stuff I’ve heard from him, but never really checked out any albums. Is there a place I should start?

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Could you elaborate more on this? I just listened to the song and it doesn’t sound any different from than what they’ve done before, to me.

Their initial 8-track double EP "From The Fires" is a solid rock and roll album, every track being a good and well-made song that are clearly inspired by Zeppelin and a few other bands, with their own little spin on it.

The new "When The Curtain Falls" single is quite different, especially in the vocals; They are no longer calm and cool and serious, he's like yelling out like "OMG we're popular now, look how COOL we are do do this old style rock!"  I was cringing at it.

7 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

RE: Jack White

i really love his hits and the stuff I’ve heard from him, but never really checked out any albums. Is there a place I should start?

I'd just check out all the White Stripes albums in reverse order

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

The new "When The Curtain Falls" single is quite different, especially in the vocals; They are no longer calm and cool and serious, he's like yelling out like "OMG we're popular now, look how COOL we are do do this old style rock!"  I was cringing at it.

In some ways his vocals on that song remind me of Geddy Lee on early Rush albums, the not so great ones.