Patrick Stewart to be Knighted

John Crichton

It's not officially official, but reports are that Patrick Stewart will be knighted on next year's New Year's Honours (proper British spelling :)) list.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/top-stories/2009/12/19/star-trek-s-patrick-stewart-to-be-knighted-115875-21907950/

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Her Majesty, The Queen: "Arise, Sir Patrick Stewart"

Sir Patrick Stewart: "Now let's all get drunk and play ping-pong."

It's about time too.

Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. But I'd rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish each and every moment because they'll never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

So will we see a Picard Maneuver when he gets up from kneeling?

Hopefully it'll be the same maneuver he did in JEFFERY :)

I see him kneeling before the Queen who, a bit unsteady in her later years, mishandles the weight of the sword and accidentally runs it through his chest. He looks down, grins, and just starts laughing. . . .

- Scott

If it's anything like Stewart's scene in Excalibur where he attempts to draw the sword from the stone, we can expect some quite dramatic theatrical behaviour from him.

This is interesting news, and, to be brutally honest, I can think of far more deserving actors to knight-John Hurt (can't wait to see the "Naked Civil Servant" sequel), David Warner, Johnathan Pryce, Roger Lloyd Pack, and David Bradley, to name but five. There will, however, be a lot of fans, "Star Trek", or otherwise, who will welcome the news, so who I to protest?

IMO, Mr Stewart, while being a competent actor, is not a very subtle one, nor one with much range. I first saw him as Sejanus in "I,Claudius", in 1976, lost contact with him, so-to-speak, and then caught up with him in "Lifeforce"(oh, dear), and then chewing the scenery in "Dune". Perhaps it's me, but all he seems to do is shout a lot. Perhaps members of this venerable site can recommend me what they consider to be Mr. Stewert's finer performances? If I like it, then so be it, if not, then I'll give them a good scar to remind 'em!

His scenes in X-Men with fellow Shakespearian Ian McKellen.

Many, many scenes in Star Trek The Next Generation.

My favorite Patrick Stewart acting moment is near the end of The Inner Light, when Picard is given the Resikan Flute and clasps it to his chest, as a comforting and tangible momentum of a life that he never really led.

BTW, do not call me Stef!

I can think of far more deserving actors to knight-John Hurt

Indeed. Far more varied an actor. Compare his role in Rob Roy, to his role in Midnight Express and the man can do all sorts. Hurt has a CBE already, so the chances are slim. Many of Stewart's earlier roles are, like you say, a fair amount of anger and yelling. Even in the earliest seasons of TNG, that stern stiff yelling was irritating about his character. "Calm down...calm down". Luckily the character mellowed considerably as the series went on (as happened with that Janeway character in Voyager).

I can think of far more deserving actors to knight-John Hurt

Indeed. Far more varied an actor. Compare his role in Rob Roy, to his role in Midnight Express and the man can do all sorts. Hurt has a CBE already, so the chances are slim. Many of Stewart's earlier roles are, like you say, a fair amount of anger and yelling. Even in the earliest seasons of TNG, that stern stiff yelling was irritating about his character. "Calm down...calm down". Luckily the character mellowed considerably as the series went on (as happened with that Janeway character in Voyager).

What I meant by "not very subtle", is that Stewart, like most actors, is self-conscious, and, as such, does not have the ability to fully inhabit a role, like John Hurt (without a shadow of a doubt, the finest living British actor). He knows a camera, or audience is on him, and responds accordingly. This does not mean to say that he is a bad actor-far from it-but it does make him limited in range. Perhaps all that time spent in Hollywood has made him go soft.

Stewart has always been a very subtle actor!

Maybe you are thinking of Shatner.

Actually, Shatner was not at all bad in "Judgement At Neuremberg", and "Terror At 20,000 Feet", and also some Canadian thing ("The Stranger", was it?).

Well, it's nice to see him. To see him, nice. If he did, it would be good to say - "Aaaw, didn't he do well".

John Hurt (without a shadow of a doubt, the finest living British actor)

Certainly one of the finest. There are others, but Hurt really does stand out as talented.

What I meant by "not very subtle", is that Stewart, like most actors, is self-conscious, and, as such, does not have the ability to fully inhabit a role, like John Hurt (without a shadow of a doubt, the finest living British actor). He knows a camera, or audience is on him, and responds accordingly. This does not mean to say that he is a bad actor-far from it-but it does make him limited in range. Perhaps all that time spent in Hollywood has made him go soft.

Have you seen his performance as Ahab? That was Stewart inhabiting a role. I think it's a little unfair on Patrick, especially as I think he hasn't been given the range of roles Hurt has, as he does tend to get typecast, but he's a magnificent actor. That said, I think McKellen is the best English actor around.

Actually, Shatner was not at all bad in "Judgement At Neuremberg", and "Terror At 20,000 Feet", and also some Canadian thing ("The Stranger", was it?).

THE INTRUDER. Very good Roger Corman film with Shatner as a racist.

I suppose if we go by who's been given awards by the Queen lately, anyone can have a shot. Lewis Hamilton for driving in a circle at high speed? Most thirteen year olds do the same in Bradford every saturday night, and they have the fuzz on their tails too.