Complete Cue List: The Lost World: Jurassic Park

Jay

hmmm... so Ludlows Speech only covers the part of them in the helicoptor?..not when he talks lol

I wasn't sure you had been updating the first post and my internet is really slow today for some reason today..

EDIT:

Please listen to your album again. 1:41 in the film IS track 3...at [04:33] lol

hmmm... so Ludlows Speech only covers the part of them in the helicoptor?..not when he talks lol

I wasn't sure you had been updating the first post and my internet is really slow today for some reason today..

No, Ludlow's Speech is... Ludlow's speech lol. It's the scene where he is talking to everyone over the intercom then gets interrupted by the guy who tells him the sail barge is not slowing down

Please listen to your album again. 1:41 in the film IS track 3...at [04:33] lol

There is all kinds of tracking in the film. I'm sure a part of Ludlow's Speech in the film contains a portion from Heading North. I'll go get the DVD and listen again for you though

It IS the most hacked apart Williams score this for a Spielberg film, by far.

It's nearly as bad as the Prequels.

It would be nice if the recording sessions for this score would leak. It would save a lot of headaches.

Well, the issue was that the original script was very much like the novel... but it ended up being pushed further and further away form the novel until we got some semblance of what was seen in the film.

Spielberg had just come back from a hiatus of film making and i think kinda got a bit...lazy. Jurassic Park he was on a strict schedule and couldn't really play around too much with it. TLW however, he had that ability and it gave him a bit too much to paly around with. by the time the film had been pieced together, it ended up being cut down drastically and restructured. The finale was invented very last minute and I bet it was shot seat of his pants at times.

The finale as in the shooting script even had Ian and Sarah on the venture heading back to the island so that's how much things changed. The sets got smalled, their original plan was to go to New Zealand but they barely even left California except a few shots in Kuai on the ranch of ...i forget who... I wanna say Harrison Fords ex wife... or Lucas'...i forget... anyway... they barely did anything in Kuai and it was all shot on private land.

Regarding the track "The Stegosaurus" - the beginning up to 2:11 is the cue "The Stegosaurus", and then the rest of the track is the cue "Finding the Baby." Both are presented unedited on the OST, with the obvious exception of the cross-fade that combines them into one track.

OK I've just gone through the film again, and I think we were both right and both wrong about different things :P

1:35-16-1:39:11 is where 11m3/12m1 High Bars and Ceiling Tiles is supposed to go, but most of it is dropped entirely or replaced by tracked music. It covers the end of the raptor scenes all the way through their helicopter escape.

1:39:11-1:40:16 is unscored and has Ludlow giving some instructions and then talking to Tembo.

Right after Tembo's line "I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death", at 1:40:16, 12m2 Heading North begins playing. This cue can be found in its entirely on the OST - in track 3 Malcolm's Journey, from 4:33-end. The OST has a clean ending for the cue.... but in the film, it transitions directly to 12m3 Ludlow's Speech at 1:41:15

So, 12m3 Ludlow's Speech plays in the film from 1:41:15-1:43:16. This two minute cue is definitely not on the OST at all, certainly not in Malcolm's Journey. It begins on the shot of the Ingen logo as bigwigs make their way onto the dog, and Ludlow begins speaking, talking about John Hammond's dream coming true. Malcolm and Sarah show up and try to get in, then Ludlow continues speaking before getting interrupted by a lackey who asks him to come into the radar room. The cue ends when a bunch of men in hard hats turn around, hearing the sail barge approaching.

The next 3 minutes of the finished film plays with no score at all (from 1:43:16-1:46:17). This covers Ludlow and crew watching the Sail Barge approach the main land on the radar display, the sail barge crashing into the dock, Ludlow and gang going onto the barge and finding the dead crewmen, Malcolm and Sarah showing up on the barge and then trying to get everyone off the boat when Ludlow asks someone to open the cargo hold. Its my guess that 12m4 Wompi's Wrench was meant to score some of these scenes, or a deleted scene from around here.

Music re-enters the picture as the T-Rex sticks his head out of the cargo hold at 1:46:17, and the music continues until 1:48:35. I believe this is 12m5 Monster On The Loose, and it covers the T Rex's initial rampage on the dock, his escape from Ingen's area (this part was clearly replaced with tracked music from 12m6 in the finished film), and then Malcolm and Sarah's conversation with the guy who injected the T Rex and also with Ludlow, ending with Ludlow telling them where the infant T Rex is.

Right when the scene changes to the T Rex in the neighborhood at 1:48:35, you can begin playing "A Visitor In San Diego" and it all lines up perfectly, even though the beginning of the cue was dialed out in the final film. This is 13m1 A Neighborhood Visitor, and it plays until 1:50:43.

13m2 Streets Of San Diego then from 1:50:44 until 1:56:11 , where is segues directly into 13m3/14m1 Ludlow's End, which plays until 1:58:58, though most of that ends up getting dialed out or replaced with tracked music.

14m2 A Saving Dart then starts playing at 1:59:04

So I guess what plays in Malcolm's Journey on the OST from 3:33-4:33 is a mystery right now!

Well, the issue was that the original script was very much like the novel... but it ended up being pushed further and further away form the novel until we got some semblance of what was seen in the film.

Spielberg had just come back from a hiatus of film making and i think kinda got a bit...lazy. Jurassic Park he was on a strict schedule and couldn't really play around too much with it. TLW however, he had that ability and it gave him a bit too much to paly around with. by the time the film had been pieced together, it ended up being cut down drastically and restructured. The finale was invented very last minute and I bet it was shot seat of his pants at times.

The finale as in the shooting script even had Ian and Sarah on the venture heading back to the island so that's how much things changed. The sets got smalled, their original plan was to go to New Zealand but they barely even left California except a few shots in Kuai on the ranch of ...i forget who... I wanna say Harrison Fords ex wife... or Lucas'...i forget... anyway... they barely did anything in Kuai and it was all shot on private land.

There are also rumours that parts were ghost-directed by Joe Dante.

So I guess what plays in Malcolm's Journey on the OST from 3:33-4:33 is a mystery right now!

REALLY? But it fits sooo well over Ludlow talking "You have your trophy! What the matter?"... you just have to give a small break before "Heading North"

hmmm.....

Ah yes, ok, so you are saying it is the unused original opening to 12m2 Heading North, that was dialed out of the final film. Makes sense... and also makes my original post right all along :P

OK I just lined it up with the film, and it does fit ok I guess. If you begin playing 3:33 of Malcolm's Journey on the OST right at 1:39:17 in the film, it all lines up... the music even pauses (just before 4:33 on the OST) for Tembo's line "I believe I've spent enough time in the company of death". I dunno.

So that would mean:

1:35:16-1:39:11 11m3/12m1 High Bars and Ceiling Tiles, mostly dialed out or replaced by tracked music. Unreleased.

1:39:17-1:40:16 where the first half of 12m2 Heading North SHOULD play, but instead is dialed out in the final film. On the OST in track 3 from 3:33-4:33.

1:40:16-1:41:15 the second half of 12m2 Heading North, used correctly. On the OST in track 3 from 4:22-end.

1:41:15-1:43:16 12m3 Ludlow's Speech, which is unreleased.

1:43:16-1:46:17 is unscored, but 12m4 Wompi's Wrench belongs in here somewhere. Unreleased.

1:46:17-1:48:35 12m5 Monster On The Loose, partially replaced by music tracked from 13m1, and completely unreleased.

1:48:35-1:50:43 13m1 A Neighborhood Visitor. On the OST in track 13 from 0:00-2:10

1:50:44-1:56:11 13m2 Streets Of San Diego. On the OST in track 13 from 2:10-end.

1:56:11-1:58:58 13m3/14m1 Ludlow's End, mostly replaced by tracked or no music, otherwise found on the OST in track 12 1:35-end.

1:59-:04- end credits 14m2 A Saving Dart

Yay I was right along :P

Thanks for confirming about The Stegasaurus as well :D

Now how about track 10 - When does 9m3/10mA The Compys Dine! end, and what is the cue that follows it? ;)

I'd guess The Compys Dine! ends at 2:47, as it would then cover all the scenes in the film right up until Rialto Ripples begins playing. And the next cue must be either 6m2/7m1 Part II Up In A Basket or 12m4 Wompi's Wrench.... unless its something not in the sheet music at all!

Let's see...not sure what the second cue is yet, but 9m3/10mA ends at 2:47. It ends with that chord of high string harmonics. That quiet swell of brass is the beginning of whatever cue comes next.

Sweeet!

I'll try syncing that music to those unscored scenes to try to figure out what it was written for

Spielberg had just come back from a hiatus of film making and i think kinda got a bit...lazy.

I remember there was quite a good BBC documentary on at the time which reflected on his time away and what he'd been doing with himself since Schindler's. I think it was called "The Return of Steven Spielberg".

Trying to figure out what Wompi's Wrench was meant to underscore is hard! It doesn't quite fit anything in that unscored section of the film.

I do have one theory, but I need someone with the sheet music to answer me this:

Does 12m5 Monster On The Loose begin in the film on the shot of the T Rex escaping from the cargo hold at 1:46:19 like I originally suggested, or does it actually start at 1:47:23 on the cut back to the docks after the T Rex roars at the San Diego skyline?

Can anyone who's very familiar with this score confirm that this list is truly complete? :P

It's definitely complete. I've lined up everything with all the music heard in the OST and film in the first post

Rescuing Sarah is no where to be seen on that list.

Can anyone who's very familiar with this score confirm that this list is truly complete? :P

It's definitely complete. I've lined up everything with all the music heard in the OST and film in the first post

Rescuing Sarah is no where to be seen on that list.

Look at 8m2 Truck Stop

I've now updated the first post to include a brief description of each track.

Its interesting that there doesn't seem to be ANY alternates at all for this score! Then again, it kind of makes sense - there's so much tracking in the final film because instead of asking JW to re-score a scene, they simply tracked music in from other places. So odd.

Can't wait to start hearing finale mockups of the unreleased music that wasn't in the film either!

I've been double checking this against the score edit I've done and so far so good.

Spilling Petrol was the first one that I had to change. What i thought was an insert is actually meant to be part of the cue. I had a suspicion but without the sheet music i could only guess where. I also have some extra stuff at the end that i have no idea where it goes as of yet.

Rampage as used in the film is original. It isn't tracked as we had feared. The version i have that i thought was an alternate still hasn't turned up in the score so i dunno yet.

Interesting information and great discussion guys! :P

If only there was a complete score release on this one. Or perhaps leaked recording sessions. :P

I would have loved if there was another appearance of the outstanding alternate slower Lost World theme (in the Finale album track). But after reading the

tracklists there isnt much unused music at all, isn't it?

Great job on this thread guys :P

Its interesting that there doesn't seem to be ANY alternates at all for this score! Then again, it kind of makes sense - there's so much tracking in the final film because instead of asking JW to re-score a scene, they simply tracked music in from other places. So odd.

It's likely Williams didn't have time to re-score anything--his 1997 schedule was pretty busy, he probably had to already begin working on Seven Years In Tibet and Amistad, so he and Spielberg agreed to track music from other scenes in places where needed (a task likely done by Music Editor Ken Wannberg).

Alright, so far i've gone through the main bulk of the score. What we have:

01) [1m1] The Island's Voice (Complete from Album)

02) [2m2] Revealing the Plans (Complete from Album *fade out easily fabricated)

03) [3m1] To the Island (Complete from Album)

04) [3m2] The Stegosaurus (Complete From Album *fade out acheived via DVD rip)

05) [3m3] Finding the Baby (Complete from Album)

06) [4m1] Fire at Camp (Complete in DVD Rip)

07) [4m2] Corporate Choppers (Incomplete in DVD/ Complete in Park Rip)

08) [4m3/5m1] The Round Up (Complete on Album)

09) [5m2] Big Feet (Complete in DVD Rip)

10) [5m3/6m1 Pt. I] Spilling Petrol (Incomplete in DVD/ Complete in Park Rip)

11) [5m3/6m1 Pt. II] Horning In (Complete in DVD rip)

12) *still working on*

13) *still working on*

14) [7m2/8m1] Pain of Glass (Complete in DVD/ second half in Park Rip)

15) [8m2] Truck Stop (Complete In DVD/ Almost complete in Album)

16) [8m3] Reading the Map (Partial in Film/ Partial in Park Rip *about 85% complete now)

17) [8m4/9m1] The Trek (Complete in Album)

18) [9m2] The Compys! (Complete on Album *Intro achieved via DVD rip)

19) [9m3/10mA] The Compy's Dine (Complete in Album)

20) [10m1] Rialto Ripples (Partial on Album/ Partial in DVD rip/ Partial in Special Features Rip) *78% Complete

21) [10m2] Steiner in the Grass (Complete on Album)

22) [10m3/11m1] After the Fall (Complete on Album)

Why did you call 5m2 Big Feet?

And what is this park rip you speak of?

Where in the special features can Rialto Ripples be heard?

I have heard that you can walk through the park and hear unreleased music from JP and TLW, but I was unaware that anybody had recorded it and brought it home!!

You gave the title the wrong name. The sheet music calls it "Big Feet" and under it is says "Tortured" but as a direction of how the cue should feel ;-)

As for park rip, yes, I ripped the unreleased music from the park by placing a recording device near a speaker lol I did this years ago lol

As for the special feature, its on the 4th disc that came with some of the JP box sets. In the TLW featurette, you hear a small tidbit of a piece of that cue.

Thanks for correcting my oversight on the cue name for "Big Feet" lol. Wooops!

How does the park rip sound? There must be random background noise? Is it stereo or mono?

Hmmm I don't have that 4th disc, just the the old 2pack of JP and TLW where they are 1 disc each.

So "Horning In" is really used exactly as intended (per the sheet music) in the final film? I definitely thought it contained tracked music in the film, interesting

Alright, so i've finished the score study excepting 2 cues which i need to go back and try to figure out. Here's my list:

01) [1m1] The Island's Voice (Complete from Album)

02) [2m2] Revealing the Plans (Complete from Album *fade out easily fabricated)

03) [3m1] To the Island (Complete from Album)

04) [3m2] The Stegosaurus (Complete From Album *fade out acheived via DVD rip)

05) [3m3] Finding the Baby (Complete from Album)

06) [4m1] Fire at Camp (Complete in DVD Rip)

07) [4m2] Corporate Choppers (Incomplete in DVD/ Complete in Park Rip)

08) [4m3/5m1] The Round Up (Complete on Album)

09) [5m2] Big Feet (Complete in DVD Rip)

10) [5m3/6m1 Pt. I] Spilling Petrol (Incomplete in DVD/ Complete in Park Rip)

11) [5m3/6m1 Pt. II] Horning In (Complete in DVD rip)

12) *still working on*

13) *still working on*

14) [7m2/8m1] Pain of Glass (Complete in DVD/ second half in Park Rip)

15) [8m2] Truck Stop (Complete In DVD/ Almost complete in Album)

16) [8m3] Reading the Map (Partial in Film/ Partial in Park Rip *about 85% complete now)

17) [8m4/9m1] The Trek (Complete in Album)

18) [9m2] The Compys! (Complete on Album *Intro achieved via DVD rip)

19) [9m3/10mA] The Compy's Dine (Complete in Album)

20) [10m1] Rialto Ripples (Partial on Album/ Partial in DVD rip/ Partial in Special Features Rip) *78% Complete

21) [10m2] Steiner in the Grass (Complete on Album)

22) [10m3/11m1] After the Fall (Complete on Album)

23) [11m2] The Raptors Appear (Complete on Album)

24) [11m3/12m1] High Bar and Ceiling Tiles (Missing the real opening in film. Missing one measure near middle, the entire sequence is correct in the film with some minor editing. What sounds like a loop from "The Raptors Appear" is actually correct to this cue as well. The finale is unreleased and unused excepting the final portion heard in the helicopter as they fly away. It looks like it's simply more of the "da-duh dun" throughout the orchestra and not as uplifting as the edit using the film)

25) [12m2] Heading North (Complete on Album)

26) [12m3] Ludlow's Speech (Partially used in film/ Same amount from Park Rip. The part that continues on after the cut off is just not ever used. Its more of the same dun dun, dun, dun dun, dun.)

27) [12m4] Wompi's Wrench (Complete on Album)

28) [12m5] Monster on the Loose (Partially used in film. The cut to the rex bursting through customs is actually a very similar cue. The real music has that but goes into the wild strings heard when we see the "Jurassic Park San Diego" facility and then we move back to the dock. for the conclusion of the cue. This full cue can be easily edited together from the other recordings)

29) [13m1] A Neighborhood Visitor (Complete on Album)

30) [13m2] Streets of San Diego (Complete on Album)

31) [13m3/14m1] Ludlow's End (Complete on Album)

32) [14m2] The Saving Dart (Complete on Album except an unused/unreleased finale after the piano part)

33) End Credits Intro (Available via Credits DVD rip)

34) End Credits (Theme from The Lost World. Available on the Album).

35) Theme from Jurassic Park (Completely on Album/Used in Film)

EDIT:

DUH DUH DUH!

What I always thought was an alternate for "Rialto Ripples" is ACTUALLY "Wompi's Wrench!" its on the album

26) [12m3] Ludlow's Speech (Partially used in film/ Same amount from Park Rip. The part that continues on after the cut off is just not ever used. Its more of the same dun dun, dun, dun dun, dun.)

So the cue wasn't meant to end on the shot of the men in construction hats turning around when they hear the barge approaching?

27) [12m4] Wompi's Wrench (Not used, not found, never heard before!)

As we've already pointed out in this thread, Wompi's Wrench appears in its entirely on the OST, in the track "The Compys Dine" from 2:47-end.

28) [12m5] Monster on the Loose (Partially used in film. The cut to the rex bursting through customs is actually a very similar cue. The real music has that but goes into the wild strings heard when we see the "Jurassic Park San Diego" facility and then we move back to the dock. for the conclusion of the cue. This full cue can be easily edited together from the other recordings)

Interesting!

32) [14m2] The Saving Dart (Complete on Album except an unused/unreleased finale after the piano part)

Oh wow, I'd love to hear what that finale was like!

33) End Credits Intro (Available via Credits DVD rip)

Which part of the end credits?

What I always thought was an alternate for "Rialto Ripples" is ACTUALLY "Wompi's Wrench!" its on the album

Well yea, where were you yesterday when we discovered that on page 2 of this thread? :huh:

End Credits Intro is just the alternate orchestration for the opening of the THeme from The Lost World

Of course - makes perfect sense!

Well yea, where were you yesterday when we discovered that on page 2 of this thread? :huh:

Did you just see my post of the complete break down of the film score? there ya go :-p

So "Monster On The Loose" is indeed supposed to begin on the shot of the T Rex emerging from the cargo hold?

Well in the score it has the first two measures as looped for however long they'd like...so i guess it gave williams some choice on where he could start but it looks like it yea.

Also if anyone is interested in the two source cues, NAXOS has them. Jeno Jando performing "Piano Sonata No. 8 in c minor" aka "Pathetique," and "Piano Sonata in a minor," Mozart K. 310.

I'm still trying to find "Tres Dias" by Tomas Mendez. It says its by Peer Southern Productions, Inc. Performed by the Mariachi Los Camperos De Nati Cano. :shrug: