What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Now You See Me 2 is a terrible, terrible film, complete garbage.  The first film is stupid too, but kinda fun, at least makes sense for the world it creates.  The sequel film is full of plot holes, goes completely past any kind of believability line, and changes aspects that were set in stone in the first movie just to have a twist in the second - utter garbage.

Both scores are a lot of fun!

Neither is the best score of the year it came out, though, not even close.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Both scores are a lot of fun!

Neither is the best score of the year it came out, though, not even close.

Half the reason I started watching it is because I enjoyed the NYSM2 OST for what it was and I was curious to hear it in context.  But I dunno if it was seriously dialed out in the film or if I was just too bored and horrified to notice it, but it made no impression on me at all while watching.

Both NYSM OSTs feature a bunch of music that isn't used in their films

If you made it far enough into the film to see the scene that "Sleight Of Hand" scores, though, that's pretty memorable (for simultaneously being the best cue in the score, and the absolutely stupid-est and nonnsensical scene in either movie by a landslide)

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched about half of Now You See Me 2 on HBO last night before I couldn't take anymore and turned it off.  What a godawful movie.  I never saw the first one though.

I did the same with the first movie. I never saw the second one and I never will.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

it is a good movie to watch when you have trouble falling asleep and The BFG isn't on TV.

I just woke up after falling asleep trying to get through Bridge of Sighs for the third night in a row.

I swear that this is pure coincidence - 

Now You See Me - breezy romp in which a troupe of magicians called the Four Horsemen (Jesse Eisenberg, Woody Harrelson, Isla Fisher and Dave Franco) pull off daring heists and give the money to their audiences as part of their live performances whilst a FBI/Interpol duo (Mark Ruffalo and Melanie Laurent) pursue them and try to bring them to book. Michael Caine and Morgan Freeman also star.

As has been said, silly but fun. And I too had heard that the sequel is an absolute shocker.  

On 18/01/2017 at 2:20 PM, Jay said:

Is it a requirement of all films to be "challenging"?

pub is still going through his quasi academia phase in his life, he hasn't fully embraced nonchalant indifference yet, he's still to chill the fuck out about trivial and unimportant things. He's basically a mature student. The worst!  

Well, I finished Bridge of Sighs. The ending was exactly what I would have expected from modern Spielberg. A cringe-inducing scene of everyone reading about Tom Hanks in the paper and smiling at him. On the plus side, Thomas Newman's music in the finale was good, if not exactly what you would expect from Newman. I overlooked the score because the first half of the OST was rather unbearable.

Afterwards, The Hateful Eight was on. The black bars were so thick on my 4:3 Sony Trinitron, they took up most of the screen. You could barely see the movie!

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

pub is still going through his quasi academia phase in his life, he hasn't fully embraced nonchalant indifference yet, he's still to chill the fuck out about trivial and unimportant things. He's basically a mature student. The worst!  

You got that wrong: in real life i never get to vent about stuff like this because 90% of stuff JWFan talks about is just not happening here (i virtually do not know anyone who has seen BOS, for instance). It's the one venue where i can pick up lame fights about shit like this i i really do not care about. Just because. 

3 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Well, I finished Bridge of Sighs. The ending was exactly what I would have expected from modern Spielberg. A cringe-inducing scene of everyone reading about Tom Hanks in the paper and smiling at him. On the plus side, Thomas Newman's music in the finale was good, if not exactly what you would expect from Newman. I overlooked the score because the first half of the OST was rather unbearable.

Afterwards, The Hateful Eight was on. The black bars were so thick on my 4:3 Sony Trinitron, they took up most of the screen. You could barely see the movie!

Now, just a damn minute!

How are BOS, and H8 older films???!!!

3 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

That's 70mm for ya. Heck, I loved it even when I had a tube TV. 

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Now, just a damn minute!

How are BOS, and H8 older films???!!!

KM's law: Movies are old when they no longer play in theatres. 

Elysium. Not bad... But the ending is totally ridiculous, as if they couldn't get Max to that medbay... Interesting score though, a blend of Patrick Doyle, Remote Control Productions and... something else. And I hate Jodie Foster. Ias Silence of the Lambs theo nly film where she doesn't play a bitch?

The Lost World: Jurassic Park

I loved it. I have and will always defend this movie. While I may be biased since I fell in love with it immediately on opening day in 1997 and preferred it to the original, I can view it as an adult 20 years later and confidently say it's a solid flick. The performances are good, Koepp's script is excellent (I know, we hate him now, but this is one of his exceptions), the action scenes and effects are incredible and I even like Kaminski's cinematography. You know that really annoying thing Kaminski does in all interior scenes where the windows are exploding with bright light and it's just irritating to look at? This movie has the one instance where it works. Hammond's bedroom, where he seems to be on death's bed and the heavenly light stresses this. I think the Spielberg I love also died in this era. I recall that on the Blu-ray, he made some asinine comment about the scene where Nick sees the Jurassic Park mural and says something to effect of it making him want to watch Jurassic Park instead. Well, he's kind of an idiot nowadays. He can keep all his modern films, I'll stick with the one with a bunch of dudes in the forest with dinosaurs.

10 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Elysium. Not bad... But the ending is totally ridiculous, as if they couldn't get Max to that medbay... Interesting score though, a blend of Patrick Doyle, Remote Control Productions and... something else. And I hate Jodie Foster. Ias Silence of the Lambs theo nly film where she doesn't play a bitch?

Totally hated it, especially Foster's bad performance. I even refuse to watch Chappie. Blomkamp is sooooooooooooooooooo overrated.

Don't think those films were critical darlings, so no, not overrated. People just liked District 9. 

After District 9 people couldn't praise Blomberg enough. He instantly became the darling of the public and many considered him as the new sci-fi director that would elevate the genre to unknown heights. Suddenly Blomberg was the perfect man for every thinkable sci-fi project. 8 years later people are beginning to understand Blomberg isn't the second coming after all. 

I could have told them that 8 years ago.

Back to the Future II. I just can't get enough of the Doc!

One thing that made me re-consider the entire plot of these films, though, is the concept of reality. Take part one. Poor Marty goes back to 1955, changes his future and returns to 1985. So, if Doc then sent rich Marty back to 1955 to avoid a paradox, what on earth would rich Marty get up to in 1955? He can't possibly meet his parents etc. again, can he?

Like almost every time travel film ever done the BTTF films do not make any sense if you apply real quantum theory to them. It's sci-fi plot time travel, which is far more convinient, and far more entertaining for your average audience member.

It's best not to think about the details and just enjoy the ride. 

There's a far bigger paradox in BTTF 2, namely that their future selves shouldn't even be there when they go to 2015 since they "disappeared" in 1985.

The General

This was the first movie I had to watch for my intro to film class. It was pretty good. I grew up watching the Three Stooges, so the old slapstick comedy hit close. I found myself laughing at jokes when the whole theater was silent. It reminds me of this time in my history class where we watched part of a Charlie Chaplin film and there was a joke where a bunch of pigs were being corralled into a pen and it fades into humans entering into the subway. It was hilarious, but I was the only one who laughed. Whatever.

Unbreakable

Awesome. Despite some wonky dialogue and the really tacky freeze-frames at the end the movie was great. I don't really understand why it ties into split though

Also, I just realised, in part three, how is that Doc doesn't know who Clara is when Marty arrives in 1885? Since 1955 Doc knew it, shouldn't the other one know her as well, or is that because 1885 Doc came from a different reality and isn't able to know what his counterpart does, or does Doc just like screwing with Marty?

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, I just realised, in part three, how is that Doc doesn't know who Clara is when Marty arrives in 1885? Since 1955 Doc knew it, shouldn't the other one know her as well, or is that because 1885 Doc came from a different reality and isn't able to know what his counterpart does, or does Doc just like screwing with Marty?

13 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Yes, but of course if that happened the movie wouldn't work.

Marty, Doc etc are always completely immune to any of the timeline changes that happen. Which makes no sense, but makes for good viewing