What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

36 minutes ago, publicist said:

If Horner was still alive, maybe. Without Horner: hell no!

The lack of Horner does put a damper on things but I'm still excited (that is, unless Giacchino scores it, then it can fuck off)

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Every tedious bullshitter here who says they hate Avatar will still go to see Avatar 2. 

Not every tedious bullshitter, Lee. I refused to see the film at the cinema, and I only bought the DVD,  because it was A) cheap, and B) the most - at roughly 3hrs - complete version.

It wasn't a bad film. Far from from it; it was visually arresting, and sonically satisfying. It's just that it had all been done before. So, what exactly was it? Part Vietnam allegory? Part eco-flick? Part romance? When Sully, and Nytiri "mated", my recently-eaten spaghetti bolognaise decided to exit my body through my mouth, of its own accord.

The only character I even remotely liked was Giovanni Ribisi's bloodsucking lawyer (or whatever).

The message was good, but it was dumped on you, from a great height, and from a JCB. The video-log extra, where JC (ha, ha, ha!) and co. sailed the Amazon, was so self  congratulatory, that I wanted to eat my recently-ressurected meal, just so I could vomit it all over again!

A truly dull, smug, terrifyingly vain film.

AVATAR 2? No, ta, I'll just look at all my Yes album covers.

It was meant to dazzle in 3D in 2009 and that was that. Why now 4 additional movies: let's hope for James Cameron's sanity that there is sound technical reason because the last of his movies you could watch without puking because of inane dialogue and screenplay contrivances was 'True Lies'.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

It was meant to dazzle in 3D in 2009 and that was that. Why now 4 additional movies: let's hope for James Cameron's sanity that there is sound technical reason because the last of his movies you could watch without puking because of inane dialogue and screenplay contrivances was 'True Lies'.

Oh stop it, publicist. You'll give yourself a nose bleed.

Hell or High Water

This was good!  Nothing amazing, but solid performances and an interesting yarn.  I much prefer Chris Pine in roles like this to his blockbuster type stuff.  He and Bridges are both magnetic here.

The Incredibles

Easily my favorite Pixar film. It's made in a way that's incredibly (pun intended) enjoyable for children and adults to watch, without having hidden inappropriate humor. Giacchino's score is exceptional, with fun and fitting themes. Can't wait for the sequel. 

Jurassic Park

I still have every line of dialogue memorized. You all know how I preferred The Lost World from opening day. That being said, is it just me, or is this the most overrated Spielberg flick ever? All of the characters are weirdo scientists and annoying kids I don't really care about. Malcolm is SO much better in the sequel. Julianne Moore as a female lead vs. Laura Dern? It's no contest.

8 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Jurassic Park

I still have every line of dialogue memorized. You all know how I preferred The Lost World from opening day. That being said, is it just me, or is this the most overrated Spielberg flick ever?

Of course. But it's still better than Lost World.

Moulin Rouge. Where to start? Oh, maybe by saying I started to write this 17 minutes before this thing was over?

After the first five minutes, I already knew the 'heroine' would die and the 'hero' wouldn't. How exciting. By that time, I also had a pretty strong hunch who was the director of this film. Why can't that guy just use period music? Does he realise the music of 19th-century Paris isn't... well... the loud and thumping mess on display here? That wall of sound, that impenetrable chaos just makes me so annoyed.

And then the orchestral umusic started. That was the only good aspect of this entire crapfest. I didn't know Armstrong could write such romantic and captivating melodies. I always thought he starts out well and then just left it at that. Some of them really moved me. Nicole Kidman has a good voice, same for McGregor (assuming they sang anyway).

And then, the acting. Oh, my God. This was just embarassing from beginning to end. They didn't even try to take themselves seriously for five bloody seconds! The romantic reletionship between the two lovers was forced as well and, quite frankly, didn't convince me in the slightest. You need more than songs to be persuasive, how about, I dunno, some character/story development, to name just a few things? Oh, and did I already mention that it's totally ridiculous to include lyrics from our time in songs that people supposed to sing in the late 1800s? Aww, look, Kidman is gasping for air now, dying, but still manages to blurt out a few poetic farewell lines. How very touching indeed. Okay, she's dead now.

But anyway... It's all about love, love is everything, love is the only thing that matters. So now, I'd LOVE to know how this load of bullshit got any awards and why this accident of a movie got good reviews. And I'd also LOVE to know if if it's just my fault and if I totally misunderstood this genre. Help me, LOVEly JWfanners...

LOVE, bollemanneke

Rose's avvy is reminding me of something a friend of mine said when Titanic was released - 'if we go to see it, we'll have to take tissues ... because apparently Kate gets her tits out'.

:lol:

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Moulin Rouge. Where to start? Oh, maybe by saying I started to write this 17 minutes before this thing was over?

After the first five minutes, I already knew the 'heroine' would die and the 'hero' wouldn't. How exciting. By that time, I also had a pretty strong hunch who was the director of this film. Why can't that guy just use period music? Does he realise the music of 19th-century Paris isn't... well... the loud and thumping mess on display here? That wall of sound, that impenetrable chaos just makes me so annoyed.

And then the orchestral umusic started. That was the only good aspect of this entire crapfest. I didn't know Armstrong could write such romantic and captivating melodies. I always thought he starts out well and then just left it at that. Some of them really moved me. Nicole Kidman has a good voice, same for McGregor (assuming they sang anyway).

And then, the acting. Oh, my God. This was just embarassing from beginning to end. They didn't even try to take themselves seriously for five bloody seconds! The romantic reletionship between the two lovers was forced as well and, quite frankly, didn't convince me in the slightest. You need more than songs to be persuasive, how about, I dunno, some character/story development, to name just a few things? Oh, and did I already mention that it's totally ridiculous to include lyrics from our time in songs that people supposed to sing in the late 1800s? Aww, look, Kidman is gasping for air now, dying, but still manages to blurt out a few poetic farewell lines. How very touching indeed. Okay, she's dead now.

But anyway... It's all about love, love is everything, love is the only thing that matters. So now, I'd LOVE to know how this load of bullshit got any awards and why this accident of a movie got good reviews. And I'd also LOVE to know if if it's just my fault and if I totally misunderstood this genre. Help me, LOVEly JWfanners...

LOVE, bollemanneke

It's Baz Luhrmann, what did you expect?

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh, and did I already mention that it's totally ridiculous to include lyrics from our time in songs that people supposed to sing in the late 1800s?

?

In the case of Moulin Rouge the point was not to create a historically accurate portrayal of the music played in the Moulin Rouge in those times, but to create an "equivalent" modern sound which is supposed to stun the audience in a similar way as the outrageous can-can dancing would've stunned the people in those times. 

As for the modern lyrics, they're supposed to represent Christian's genius as a writer because of how ahead of their time they are. That's what that "The Sound of Music" scene near the beginning is trying to set up, when Christian breaks out into song and the rest of the characters stare at him with awe (though it's somewhat humorous for the audience as they of course know that, in reality, "The Sound of Music" was written many decades after the events in the film). 

But if you're telling your audience that it's about 19th century Paris anyway, why include modern music? Just shut up about the period in which this thing is supposed to take place then. The same happened in Ghatsby indeed, and it only has one result, me getting annoyed. AT least Ghatsby was a credible story overall, this one only seemes to want to mock itself.