What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Sofia Coppola's brilliant Marie-Antoinette was all the better for daring to use a soundtrack of mostly 80s post-punk music instead of the staid and predictable.

Ladyhawke's score was neither staid nor predictable, so was it also brilliant? 

Shit, now its infectious main theme will be stuck in my head all day. 

Movies should also stop using incongruous techniques like slow motion, voiceovers for monologues, and helicopter overhead shots because they're not realistic. Movies should also stop speaking in modern English, and instead stick with the correct language and syntax that would be spoken at the time. I never did like Ben-Hur because all the characters spoke perfect English. 

Ghostbusters (Female Version)

It's been a while since I couldn't make it past the 45 minute mark of a movie that was just such a piece of crap I had to then retreat to a childhood favorite to cheer me up. I even sat through the entirety of Independence Day: Regurgitation. This was pure shit. Just mind boggling. I was sitting there like John Hammond at the dinner table going "I don't believe it!" I could not believe what a disgrace it was. To the people that actually enjoyed it or claimed to have enjoyed it, including Drax...what's wrong with you?

16 minutes ago, Strangways said:

Talk about Cardassian oppression for sixty seconds without deviation, hesitation or repetition

Brilliant!

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Wrong. It's Vedek Yassim!

Nah, its Nicholas Parsons.

Definitely Parsons. Paul Merton says he's been around since the Stone Age so must be Parsons.

Rumour has it he and Larry King interviewed Adam and Eve after their expulsion from Eden.

1 hour ago, Rose Dawson said:

It's been a while since I couldn't make it past the 45 minute mark of a movie that was just such a piece of crap I had to then retreat to a childhood favorite to cheer me up. I even sat through the entirety of Independence Day: Regurgitation. This was pure shit. Just mind boggling. I was sitting there like John Hammond at the dinner table going "I don't believe it!" I could not believe what a disgrace it was. To the people that actually enjoyed it or claimed to have enjoyed it, including Drax...what's wrong with you?

Sexist! 

On 1/27/2017 at 4:37 PM, bollemanneke said:

But anyway... It's all about love, love is everything, love is the only thing that matters. So now, I'd LOVE to know how this load of bullshit got any awards and why this accident of a movie got good reviews. And I'd also LOVE to know if if it's just my fault and if I totally misunderstood this genre. Help me, LOVEly JWfanners...

LOVE, bollemanneke

Baz is the embodiment of directorial excess. He's like Joel Schumacher in that respect, except Schumacher makes decent movies now and then.

Had the exact same problems you did with Moulin Rouge. The movie is sheer eye candy, just wish the story and song selection was better.

Little Buddha

3b86ed96-aca3-11e5-8577-7d5c87be9d37.jpg

Bertolucci probably wanted to repeat the international success of The Last Emperor but he kinda failed. Still, there are some good moments in the film. Some of the images have the ability to leave an imprint. 

Alex

21 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Goes to show there's no accounting for taste. The difference between Independence Day Regurgence and Girly Ghostbusters is the former was an incompetent wreck born from 20 years of promise, and the latter is a lighthearted throwback with no promise.

I can forgive Girly Ghostbusters for its deficiencies because it felt competently made and had some spark to it, but I can't forgive Independence Day Retribution because it was so utterly bored with itself, it never compelled me to even pretend to be interested.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Little Buddha

3b86ed96-aca3-11e5-8577-7d5c87be9d37.jpg

Bertolucci probably wanted to repeat the international success of The Last Emperor but he kinda failed. Still, there are some good moments in the film. Some of the images have the ability to leave an imprint. 

Alex

Ooh, that's a good one! I saw this at the cinema, and I remember Chris Issac being so bored by the whole affair. It's a wonder that Bridget Fonda didn't smack him up. 

Visually, it was beautiful: the scene where the arrows turn into petals was striking. I'd buy this, and THE SHELTERING SKY, on Blu, if they were available. 

Out of the trilogy of "buddha" films (KUNDUN, and 7YIT, bring the other two), I'd take this one.

2 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Goes to show there's no accounting for taste. The difference between Independence Day Regurgence and Girly Ghostbusters is the former was an incompetent wreck born from 20 years of promise, and the latter is a lighthearted throwback with no promise.

I can forgive Girly Ghostbusters for its deficiencies because it felt competently made and had some spark to it, but I can't forgive Independence Day Retribution because it was so utterly bored with itself, it never compelled me to even pretend to be interested.

giphy.gif

They're both disasters. ID:R, while obviously a huge monster, had Brent Spiner appearing at intervals in the only memorable scenes, which kept my attention. Female Ghostbusters, on the other hand, had nothing going for it. The characters were awful, every line of dialogue was just one failed attempt after the next to be witty (I couldn't take it...so much eye-rolling, my eyeballs were starting to hurt), the ghouls looked atrocious. Neither one of these movies should have been made.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Out of the trilogy of "buddha" films (KUNDUN, and 7YIT, bring the other two), I'd take this one.

I can't say I'm a fan of any of them, Richard. I did like The Last Emperor (it's been ages since I'be seen it though) and I have a strange fondness for The Sheltering Sky.

On 25/4/2016 at 11:36 AM, Quintus said:

Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Nigtmare Before Christmas and Sweeney Todd are his best, IMO. Batman and Scissorhands I can enjoy, but everything else is messy. 

Βatman Returns is my favourite of his!

edit: hmmm.. It seems I thought i was seeing the last page of posts in this thread, but as it turned out i didn't (since I quoted an old one)

:P

6 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

giphy.gif

They're both disasters. ID:R, while obviously a huge monster, had Brent Spiner appearing at intervals in the only memorable scenes, which kept my attention. Female Ghostbusters, on the other hand, had nothing going for it. The characters were awful, every line of dialogue was just one failed attempt after the next to be witty (I couldn't take it...so much eye-rolling, my eyeballs were starting to hurt), the ghouls looked atrocious. Neither one of these movies should have been made.

A lot comes down to expectations. I strongly suspected before seeing Girly Ghostbusters that it'd never live up to the 80s films, so I just treated it like anything I see on the cable movie channels and happily moved on. I never had 20 years of build up like I did for the sequel to ID4, which stemmed largely from the same creative team, and they delivered something half-arsed as if their only goal was to meet the studio's annual quota.

Girly Ghostbusters - had way too much backlash to the point where it was disproportionate to the actual quality of the movie. Ultimately it felt like Paul Feig filmed a live action version of the 80s animated show, but cast ladies in it instead.

Independence Day Renovation - didn't get enough backlash at all, just nobody was interested. There's no way one could recommend this watered down piss without putting their credibility on the line.

6 hours ago, Daniel Clamp said:

Independence Day Renovation - didn't get enough backlash at all, just nobody was interested. There's no way one could recommend this watered down piss without putting their credibility on the line.

Great film!

Room

A very competent film. Everything was good but don't think anything in there made it particularly great or noteworthy. It was nice to see Joan Allen in a film though. Underrated actress. Story is pretty heartbreaking nonetheless. A handful of powerful moments in there.

On 1/30/2017 at 3:22 AM, BloodBoal said:

True, and I'm generally not a fan of that kind of stuff, but in the case of Moulin Rouge, that's actually why the movie works for me, because that place is supposed to be all about excess, so the style fits the subject matter.

I could see where Baz was aiming for but in terms of plotting and editing, the movie went overboard. The movie looks spectacular, but Baz overplays his hand. He needed to hold back and give the main characters space to breathe. There's so much going on that the ending left me confused.