Independence Day: Resurgence (Film and Score)

MSM

1 minute ago, Lonnegan said:

Will the White House be seen exploding in this? Are there any new ways to do that? 

Let's hope so! 

There's a shot in the first trailer of Washington DC being scooped out by an alien craft.

I'm sure it's deflector shield protected. Which BTW is new upcoming technology

Maybe the Enterprise will travel back in time and destroy the aliens.

I just made a big amazon.com order including:

- the soundtrack

- the novelisation

- Independence Day: Crucible prequel novel

- The Art of Independence Day: Resurgence

- new ID4 blu-ray with alien attacker model

I'm cautiously optimistic about the film but for the score not so much.

The original film AND score are one of my favorites (especially Arnold's score) and it'll be hard to top it.

There were 36 ships and they leveled 108 cities worldwide.

That would account for at least a billion and the other two died of disease and famine.  Like I said 20 years would not be enough time to rebuild and to reverse engineer.

It does if we assume this is real. 

Also if something touches down in the Atlantic,  which part of it?, all of it then the Earth probably dies.

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Especially considering most of the worlds governments were probably wiped out, and the armed forces.

Makes sense. Most of the major cities have been destroyed. Very few governments left. Six hundred million dead. No resistance.

A film composer in their position would be better advised not to mimic Arnold, instead draw inspiration from Williams, Barry and Horner. The first ID4 score is like an amalgam of their styles rolled in to one gargantuan work.

Sounds alright, I won't be too judgemental until I see the film.

Although we'd all prefer Arnold was back doing the damn thing (as he bloody well should), at least they're continuing/emulating his "sound" and not going down... that path... with this score, like all the promotional material has. This sounds big and brassy, just as any respectable ID4 score should. Wanker and Kloser know the footsteps they're following in and don't appear to be shying away from Arnold's style.

Emmerich might be a lot of things but, unlike most modern directors, he isn't afraid of music to play a part in the storytelling and not relegate it to glorified wallpaper. He loves the orchestra and has no qualms with big musical statements.

After all, he's worked with Williams, so the man clearly has good taste. ;)

10 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

More score.

That brass at 0:10-0:15 does sound like a simplified down version of Arnold's theme for the Aliens. So I guess they're sticking with the big brass statements of Arnold's overall score. So the question is; why try to follow Arnold? Why not just bloody bring him back for it? Still frustrates me why they never even asked him.

5 hours ago, Shatner's Rug said:

Runtime is 119 minutes. Significantly shorter than ID4.

ID4 is one of those longer flicks where you're aware of its length, but it never seems to drag. So many 2+ hour movies in recent history just seem to drag on and on for 30-45 minutes after they've already lost steam and I've stopped caring, especially Christopher Nolan films.

The extended version of ID4 is a bizarre exercise in redundancy. None of the new scenes or moments add anything. In fact, I think they hurt the film. Troy's illness isn't necessary, Julius about to run into incoming traffic was stoopid, that insert of Julius admiring the Oval Office and David throwing a quip at him made interrupted the flow of the sequence and made it seem too casual as if it's a B-roll insert, Data showing Ian the interior of the attacker slows the movie to a grinding halt, that last "we'll both die virgins" made even me cringe.

And yet some people think this is the better version! I'm like "what?"

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

The extended version of ID4 is a bizarre exercise in redundancy.

I thought you were talking about the score for a second, which I would have agreed with wholeheartedly.