Am I the only one here who doesn't have Netflix?

Sharkissimo

Not got it either. PS3 and Virgin Media digibox aren't hooked up to the internet (various channel 'on demand' players are on the digibox anyway) and laptop is on a table at the back of the living room with cabled internet connection, no wi-fi.

Eh, it works for me.

• 3 months later...

Netflix is among us now but I'm not happy. Images and sound are completely out of sync, at least on the PS3 it is. If this is normal for Netflix, then I won't subscribe to it after my free month is over.

Haven't checked it yet. I'm gonna check it later today on the Xbox. When I signed up for my free month I had to choose between SD (7.99 Euro) or HD (8.99 Euro) or Ultra-HD (11.99 Euro). I chose HD and two different devices. Then they asked me with what devices I want to see netflix and so I opted for PS3 and Xbox. Will I still be able to have it on my computer as well?

Hmmmm...seems to be different then here. Or atleast when I signed up.

I pay 7.99 a month, and most content is HD. Also I can play it on as many devices as I want. Thogh there are limits to the number of IP addresses it will stream to. So that not all your family and friends watch from one single account.

My sister and I actually share one account and watch on our phones, a laptop, via a smart TV, desktop PC, Apple TV and via the Chromecast. I've never had any kind of picture/sound sync problem.

I've never had any kind of picture/sound sync problem.

Would you say you are sensitive to it? I know people who either don't care or don't really notice when things aren't in sync.

BTW, I didn't opt for SD but for HD, of course.

Alex

I'm extremely sensitive to it, actually. My hearig isnt the greatest, and because I dont always wanna turn up the volume on the TV to annoying highs or wear headphones I do watch lip movements very closely, and it drives me up the wall when the sync is off.

This is a problem I havent had.

The only Netflix issue I have had is when either my home network was to slow r their servers were overloading and I had trouble loading a movie, or suffered playback issues.

Maybe the problem was that the PS3 was set to 'wireless'. I've hooked it up with the cable now and the problem appears to be gone. I'm watching the Roman Polanski documentary but I haven't checked any other movies to see if the sync problem is really gone.

Maybe the problem was that the PS3 was set to 'wireless'. I've hooked it up with the cable now and the problem appears to be gone. I'm watching the Roman Polanski documentary but I haven't checked any other movies to see if the sync problem is really gone.

It could very well be a particular movie or episode that has a problem, and not your internet or their general streaming service.

It could very well be a particular movie or episode that has a problem, and not your internet or their general streaming service.

I tried several movies. Heck, I even tried Grease. I really think that 'wireless mode' was the problem.

Apparently, Xbox 360 can't stream Netflix in HD (only SD) so it's no option. The standard resolution is terrible.

Cool.

Hope you enjoy it.

Thanks! They really have a lot of TV series. Looking forward to House Of Cards.

Alex

I wonder if European Netflix is kind of like the Canadian Netflix. It's a great surface, but the Canadian version barely provides anything to watch. All the good stuff is in the American version which many Canadians have learnt to obtain in some form anyways (I don't know how).

I wonder if European Netflix is kind of like the Canadian Netflix. It's a great surface, but the Canadian version barely provides anything to watch. All the good stuff is in the American version which many Canadians have learnt to obtain in some form anyways (I don't know how).

Well, I know European Netflix has The Good Wife available for streaming, whereas in the U.S. you have to turn to Amazon Prime or Hulu Plus.

Ahem ... obtaining the American content .... Isn't that illegal?

Is it?

I mean Netflix may not want you to do so, but is it actually illegal?

For me it's like ordering a region 1 DVD and ownging a hacked DVD player that can handle it. You may void the warranty, but its not against the law.

You do it through using VPNs, which is I believe is legal in Canada. Netflix doesn't want you to do it, but they haven't done anythign to stop it yet because practically all Canadians have done that here.

I haven't yet, but a quick google search will inform me how. Just need the time.

I changed my DNS to receive US Netflix content and it was still a shite choice of movies. I searched for something to watch for nearly half an hour and ended up watching the bloody Hunt for Red October. Going to cancel the service, again.

I've checked out the belgian netflix, and it holds nothing like the vast amount available on the american netflix. But that will only improve with time, I'm sure.

I also don't like you can't put movies / series in a playlist to watch at a later time.

And I signed up a few months ago on the american, had to pay something like 4 euro for unblock-us and 6 euro for netflix. And I can use the same account to watch local netflix. I've now set it up on 4 different devices. Pretty cool.

Didn't have any out of sync issues here either and most of the time I'm watching wireless.

I changed my DNS to receive US Netflix content and it was still a shite choice of movies. I searched for something to watch for nearly half an hour and ended up watching the bloody Hunt for Red October. Going to cancel the service, again.

You're kidding right? There's an amazing amount of films, and they're not all of the crappy C or D grade kind. It would be an incredible nitpicker to not find something worthwhile to watch.

Apparently, Xbox 360 can't stream Netflix in HD (only SD) so it's no option. The standard resolution is terrible.

You're wrong. Xbox 360s can ABSOLUTELY stream Netflix in HD.

I used to have some connection speed issues with Netflix on my Apple TV via wifi, but it's been great since I plugged a network cable in.

The wifi via the chromecast has been pretty flawless, and that device even has 5.1 surround.

Why would anyone want to go to all the trouble of streaming or downloading or whatever when you can just run up to your nearest video shop, browse through all the covers, smell the popcorn, and rent a few weekly tapes? You get some exercise and you had a nice little trip out.

You do realize I'm talking about my situation?

You do realize I'm talking about my situation?

I'm just saying the device has hardware and software capable of streaming 1080p content no problem. If your country has a weird version of Netflix that's Netflix's fault, not the xbox's.

The only thing that annoys me at the moment is that apparently only the US netflix has the ability to memorize films (put them in a list). I wish I could do the same for the local content. I wonder why this wasn't integrated in the interface already. :rolleyes:

Don't you have broadband in that shitty little country of yours!

You know what ! It is shitty, so shitty we almost had a bomb blow up on our ass...

And I intend to quit my dutch employer because they suck ass... :rimshot:

If internet is slow than netflix switches from HD to SD. Now that's annoying!

It doesn't happen a lot over here Alex. We use Telenet. And it takes about 10-15 seconds to buffer and become HD again. So no biggie.

Can't you control your video quality in the setup for your account on a computer? I can't make any meaningful changes from the console or Blu-ray player (what I mainly use for Netflix) but I can throttle between low and high quality, or leave it at Auto, from a computer.

You should appreciate them for taking pity on your Belgian ass and hiring you in the first place!

You wanna hear some of my Belgen moppen?

The joke is on us because you guys took us over ! Before that we were smalltime, insignificant, yet peachy. :D

If internet is slow than netflix switches from HD to SD. Now that's annoying!

It doesn't happen a lot over here Alex. We use Telenet. And it takes about 10-15 seconds to buffer and become HD again. So no biggie.

Yes, with Telenet too. It switched to SD many a times during Troll Hunter. Netflix's SD is such poor quality that it's a biggie for me. Perhaps a trick to avoid this is to pause the streaming at the beginning of the movie for 5 minutes or so?

Alex

Except for a desert and mountains, Belgium has everything, but I don't have the fastest internet option. Just the basic one, I guess, but it's never been a problem with other HD streaming services. I only have 100 GB download volume per month so that's going to be a problem in the near future too, especially with the kid constantly watching youtube in 1080p!

100gb seems like loads but yes you're possibly going to have problems there if you're achieving 1080p streaming and watching/downloading a lot. I'm not sure what our monthly usage is, but there is no cap. I'm not sure we go over 100gb though.

Actually, it's quite possible that 100gb isn't enough, because 'next-gen' gaming eats through data - digital purchases for just a single title are between 30-40gb, which is just silly really.