What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Newer Films)

King Mark

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

X-Men Apocalypse

Oh my, this might actually be worse that Batman V Superman. But all the three super hero movies I'v watched this year (BvS, Suicide Squad and this one) have been absolute trainwrecks, It's not like the standard was set particularly high in the last few years, but they really went out of their way to make crappy super hero movies this year.

Just awful

9 hours ago, Romão said:

X-Men Apocalypse

Oh my, this might actually be worse that Batman V Superman. But all the three super hero movies I'v watched this year (BvS, Suicide Squad and this one) have been absolute trainwrecks, It's not like the standard was set particularly high in the last few years, but they really went out of their way to make crappy super hero movies this year.

Just awful

I've not seen X-M:A, but I refuse to believe that any film with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender is actually worse than BvS. :blush2:

14 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

The problem is that Mystique was a perfectly good side character, well played by Romijn, who was then blown up to a main character when the more-popular Lawrence got ahold of it.

Contractually, she needs a certain amount of screen time. Ergo, Lawrence is more important than the movie.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Contractually, she needs a certain amount of screen time. Ergo, Lawrence is more important than the movie.

A character should get no more or less screen time than is necessary, which makes this woman selfish, and egocentric. What's she been in, anyway? Her name means nothing.

Ergo, ergo...he's 6ft 4, you that?

Saw Sully yesterday. Hanks was great as usual. 

I always find stories like that (how a disaster/near-disaster unfolded) extremely fascinating -- I actually find it entertaining to read Wikipedia articles about mysterious Cold War confrontations in the skies (e.g. American plane is never heard from again after spotting Russian fighter while flying near Russian coast over the Pacific, or something like that). 

So this story was right up my alley, so to speak. 

And there was also the "heroism" element (and Hanks may be the best person to portray the pilot; he always has this "coolness" about him). I had chills all throughout the rescue operation scenes as the ferry boats and NYPD copters converged on the plane in the Hudson. 

And the "action scene" (the water landing) was incredibly tense. Being in a plane is something I can definitely relate to, and somehow I always feel kind of insecure in a plane as compared to any other mode of transportation (even though I should, statistically, be more worried about traveling in a car since there's a higher chance of death there). So it really hit hard when they showed all the people screaming as the plane dived over the city. (Also the 9/11 parallels were unavoidable; I wasn't yet born when those attacks occurred but somehow that event still traumatizes me in a way -- Sully's nightmare that opens the film of the plane not landing in the Hudson and instead crashing into a building was tough to look at, although the filmmakers did seemingly try to lessen the similarity by having the crash happen into a very low building as opposed to something more like the Twin Towers). 

The whole "NTSB is out to get Sully" storyline, and the hearing at the end, felt pretty contrived, but it served the story well so I'm not complaining. The ending was also very sudden; I expected one last "wrap up" scene after the hearing -- but it was still a feel good ending so it was fine. 

Now for the music ... it was by the Tierney Sutton Band, whatever that is, and some composer I'd never heard of (Christian Jacob). There was a "Theme by Clint Eastwood" credit and I think that refers to him co-composing the end credits song (and I actually mean "song," i.e. with lyrics) with the main band and composer -- although he may also have composed the piano main theme, I dunno. The main theme was pleasant and it was a nice score, mostly very simplistic with solo piano the defining feature IIRC. Too bad there wasn't an OST album released. The film didn't have much score anyway, though. 

Oh, and apparently Conrad Pope conducted it.

So, yes, a very good film, glad I saw it. 

I might just take an extra look at the safety information card in the seat back next time I fly...

Anthropoid - assholian behaviour of some of the other cinema patrons aside, a fairly gripping account of the Czech resistance's assassination of Hitler's third-in-command and the Nazis' subsequent terrible retribution against the Czech people.

Big Trouble In Little China - picked up this prime slice of 80s action-adventure daftness for £3 recently. Still a blast, 30 years on.

The Magnificent Seven - amusing, decently paced and with rousing action, this remake is ... well, pretty magnificent.

And sure wasn't the 1960 version a remake itself anyway?

(There's a dedication to James Horner in the end credits, btw).  

Oh, and after my last 2 cinema visits being marred by other patrons I opted for an 11:00 am showing yesterday ... total amount of people at it, including me?

Three. Bliss.  

On 9/17/2016 at 2:33 PM, nightscape94 said:

The problem is that Mystique was a perfectly good side character, well played by Romijn, who was then blown up to a main character when the more-popular Lawrence got ahold of it.

I feel that Lawrence is wasted as Mystique, acting-wise, and she probably wouldn't have signed on if she knew that she was going to get a bigger franchise after X-Men: First Class. She's better when she's not slathered in makeup and prosthetics.

Romjin was definitely a sexier Mystique though.

Perhaps even more importantly, Romijn was the way more 'mysterious' Mystique. Also, I believe Romijn in a blue suit. When its played by Lawrence, it's like I'm watching another episode of The Hunger Games, with that same 'this time it's personal' look in her eyes. 

Star Trek Beyond

Mmmh. It seems it took them three movies to get it sort of right. Lots of stuff done right. The middle section with the crew separated is way too short, and it's too fast paced at times, and the whole villain backstory and explanation is done in a weird moment, and there's lapses in logic here and there. It's lighter and more down to basics from the previous two. For the first time, Chris Pine is Kirk.

The music generally fails to elevate the film. It mostly noticed it in the "dance of the nebula" cue, when Jaylah fights the secondary villain, and when the saucer section crashes.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

There are some sections where Tim Burton is regaining his footing, like the climax, but the pacing is erratic. The premise is good, with the darker themes well up his alley. Jane Goldman's screenplay isn't as punchy and fun as Stardust, but I attribute that to the character exposition she has to lay out for the audience. It's refreshing to see Eva Green playing a protagonist, Samuel L. Jackson phones in the usual scenery-chewing performance, but I'm still not feeling Asa Butterfield as the lead. What's really nice is that Burton and Bruno Delbonnel have cut back on the filters, so the movie actually looks nice for a change. The CGI isn't an assault on the senses like Alice in Wonderland either.

Mike Higham & Matthew Margeson do their best Elfman impression, score-wise. You can hear his influence in the string chord progressions and the awe-inspiring choral sections. It works in the film itself, but I imagine if Elfman hadn't worked on Alice Through the Looking Glass, he would've done something special with this film.

Rent it or Redbox it. If you have to see it on the big screen, go for a 2D matinee.

Yesterday I went to see Deepwater Horizon: Two thumbs down. Mediocre, uninspired, average, blaaaaah.

Today I went to see Sully: Two thumbs up!  Really enjoyed almost everything about this.

Suicide Squad

What a mess. Definitely prefer BvS. Robbie, Davis and Smith were good though.

Is that out? Had no idea.

Anyways, not sure I'll bother with it. I forget, did you like this one Steef?

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I haven't seen it. Not gonna bother watching a film in the cinema when I know a longer/better cut will be out in a few months.

Is that how it has to be these days, especially with these endless tedious superhero movies? I remember when theatrical cut meant the tightest and the best cut possible 90% of the time. 

In fact I can't think of a single extended cut which I prefer over the theatrical version. 

Apparently that's largely the case in regards to The Lord of the Rings, too. 

As far as Watchmen goes, I only ever saw the longer Director's Cut, which I own, so that is my only point of reference for that film. Blade Runner I can't even remember which cut was closer to the theatrical original, but I own the cut on the blu-ray. These examples probably count in the 10% I alluded to. 

I'm not a purist about very much in life, but I am very particular about the design and historical distinction of very fine theatrical film cuts.