Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?

Jay

Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which upcoming Star Wars director's work do you currently like the most?

• Gareth Edwards (Monsters, Godzilla, Rogue One)
    • Rian Johnson (Brick, The Brothers Bloom, Looper, Breaking Bad, Episode 8)
    • Phil Lord and Christopher Miller (Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, 21/22 Jump Street, The LEGO Movie, Han Solo)
    • Colin Trevorrow (Safety Not Guaranteed, Jurassic World, The Book of Henry, Episode 9)

Which director do I prefer?

None of them, because none of them has ever proven himself.

All of those films range from shit, to average.

The ability to direct a billion dollar-grosing film, is insignificant, next to the power of building-up a decent portfolio.

I never commented on this the first time around.

J.J. Abrams is a bit hit and miss, but I generally like his work. He has a style.

For me, though, there is no doubt. Gareth Edwards is miles and miles ahead of all the others. I discovered him with the marvelous MONSTERS, which was on my Top 10 list that year. The same was GODZILLA (I think it was Top 3, even), and I don't really care about GODZILLA films in the first place! I was not as enamoured with ROGUE ONE as a lot of other people, but I blame that on the reshoots and whatnot. I think some of Edwards' unique approach got lost in the mix (his slow, often distanced view on action, for example), as well as the characters. I've yet to see his 2005 TV movie END DAY.

Rian Johnson, I like too, but mostly because of LOOPER and the "Fly" episode of BREAKING BAD. BRICK and BROTHERS BLOOM were merely OK. I think he can deliver, though. He's very much in the same category as Edwards -- a director who's starting out, has managed to show an 'alternative' eye in mainstream genres, and who will hopefully bring that with him to the big blockbusters.

Lord & Miller are also a bit hit/miss to me. I hate the LEGO stuff (noisy and grating), thought MEATBALLS were OK, did not care for JUMP STREET. But I absolutely ADORE their series THE LAST MAN ON EARTH. That's what convinced me they could deliver something both humouros and serious for the Han Solo movie.

I'd rather not comment too much on Trevorrow, but I basically think he's a hack. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED is a moderately decent dramacomedy in all its quirkiness, but how that landed him JURASSIC WORLD (without actually sleeping with anyone important) is beyond me. I have major issues with that film, and now his shadow is also looming over what could have been a potentially interesting Bayona sequel. I was very disappointed when I heard he got the STAR WARS gig. But I'll watch his next film, THE BOOK OF HENRY, with much scrutiny and see if there is any potential there at all.

22 minutes ago, Jay said:

Rian Johnson's Breaking Bad episodes are neither average or shit!

I'll bow to your superior knowledge, on that subject, Jay.

I still maintain that I'll take them seriously when they have directed the most successful film three times over, and have won two Oscars for their work.

Until then, they are just supercargo.

Looper was good, so I choose Rian.  

I've liked everything Phil Lord and Miller have done except for Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs.  Their Han Solo movie is should be zippy and colorful.

Treverrow is by far the least interesting.  His Safety not Guaranteed turned one of the greatest YTMND memes into a run-of-the-mill indie-romcom and his direction in Jurassic World was boring as shit, wasting the rare 2.00 aspect ratio on boring, unimaginative closeup shots.  Plus I'm pretty sure he turned down Williams' offer to write music for the film in favor of Giacchino, which is a travesty and a sin.

8 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Plus I'm pretty sure he turned down Williams' offer to write music for the film in favor of Giacchino, which is a travesty and a sin.

...wha?

John Williams, offering a director he's never met original score, that he was supposed to write while he was writing Episode 7's score, right after he had to pull out of a Spielberg film because he was recovering from Pacemaker surgery?  No fucking way!

Still go with Lord/Miller because I enjoy their sense of humor and LEGO in particular had some really zany and unexpected visually-driven sequences. They're shrewder than their tacky project selections would indicate. I think they'll fit well in the SW universe, I'm imagining something not that far removed from JJ's movie, tonally.

Rian Johnson I find more interesting but less entertaining and his work is yet to truly inspire me  (haven't seen Breaking Bad). But I feel like his sensibilities and aesthetic/thematic interests probably have the most potential for greatness in the future, and at least when it comes to Star Wars, musically I'm glad he's one of the guys getting his hands on John Williams. I get the sense from his films that he's interested in music, highlighting it, all of his films have dabbled in different musical genres, different approaches to using it visually and with "musical" visuals and editing rhythms. Some of his sequences feel heavily inspired by music videos and directors like Martin Scorsese and David Fincher, which I think could be a kick in the ass for both Star Wars and John Williams if done appropriately. I feel like there's something in the notion of a director with contemporary, modestly experimental visual/musical interests working in operatic orchestral language for the first time....I hope Johnson and Williams can influence each other positively and it could be a real playground for JW. 

Edwards and Trevorrow, I have less of an opinion on. Haven't seen Monsters yet, I thought Godzilla and Rogue One were just okay but I appreciate his tasteful visual sensibilities. He's a rare guy who can do "gritty" without it being too overbearing or tiresome, but I don't really feel a ton of humanity in those two movies. And I quite like both of Trevorrow's movies, actually, but I also don't know that I see a guy with really great cinema in him. The idea of him with John Williams is not as exciting to me and I don't really know if he'll bring anything especially compelling out of a Star Wars finale. 

If Jurassic World is any indication of what Trevorrow gets out of his composer, well... let's just say I hope Williams can elevate the material more than Giacchino could.

But yes, Johnson for me. Very, very talented director with a brilliant eye for detail. His working relationship with Williams fascinates me and I think it'll be the closest we ever get to another Cuaron/Azkaban type collaboration.

I just hope he's more precise with his vision than JJ 'Let's Try Everything!' Abrams. I get this lingering feeling that despite Williams calling the TFA schedule luxurious, he was pretty tired of the endless revisions by the end of it, mainly because Abrams couldn't decide what tone he wanted.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We have no idea about the working relationship, so how can it fascinate you?

What's not fascinating about an unknown quantity?

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/5/2017 at 9:36 AM, Alex said:

I'm a massive fan of Rian Johnson's Breaking Bad work. Is Looper worth watching?

I just finished watching it then and I'd highly recommend it.

everything from the world building and the set-design to the characters and action I was very satisfied with. I wasn't expecting to be so emotionally moved by the movie either, and Rian Johnson's subtle directing made sure that I wasn't just turning my brain off but instead was very actively engaged with the film. I thoroughly enjoyed the conceit of the time looping which allowed for some wonderful sequences and to throw twists and turns along the way that felt more natural than contrived because of the great use of the Chekov's Gun technique. I loved the noir aspect to some of the movie and I felt that it blended seamlessly with the sci-fi genre - which in the case of Star Wars, the reason ANH worked so well was because of the flawless genre blending so that gives me some hope for TLJ. after just coming off watching Bladerunner for the first time as well, Looper in some ways felt like a modern-day Bladerunner because the environment realistically mirrored what the future would look like and still managed to be beautiful and mundane at the same time. gorgeous use of lighting at the beginning as well which accentuated the noir look.

one final big compliment I'd have to give is that this is the first sci-fi movie where every single effect has looked and felt real. I'm sure there was some CGI used but I honestly didn't notice it at all, so I was thoroughly immersed in the world of the movie.

4 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Yeah Rian Johnson is by far the most talented director out of these. Brick and The Brothers Bloom are brilliant. 

As previously noted, I'd exchange that statement with Gareth Edwards -- who, in my opinion, is in a class of his own. That being said, I'd rather see a STAR WARS film being more Johnson than the watered-out Gareth Edwards that was ROGUE ONE.

38 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I've never seen a Gareth Edwards film.

Remedy that immediately, and start with the excellent MONSTERS! Then move on to GODZILLA -- a big blockbuster film where he managed to retain his trademark traits, unlike ROGUE ONE. MONSTERS is really THE main reason for my high regard of him, but I haven't yet seen his TV film debut END DAY. Really need to seek that out. As well as his TV work (PERFECT DISASTER and HEROES AND VILLAINS).